Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Topic Options
Hop to:
#366302 - 10/10/07 11:18 PM Trapping Coyotes on Ice...
Coppertrapper26 Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
In our area the coyotes will usually travel right down the middle of our frozen creeks and rivers. This last season in January we were having good Low degree temps with variable temps of only 10 degrees or so. With the sun hidden and the temp extremely low, not to mention snow on the ground, the circumstances were quite favorable for this type of set. I chopped a bed with my hatchet, used peat moss as bedding to obsorb the mosture, and then a T-bar stake straight through not quite reaching the bottom. The next day I checked to see if it would fire and I was amazed to see that it did. I went ahead and set about 4 or 5 more sets with logs or so with backing, some with bait, some with lure, some with urine. The next night after I set the traps it snowed about an inch so I thought it was perfect. During the course of about a week I noticed alot of coyote traffic that were traveling in pairs or even singles but they would come about 4 feet away, do about a 1/4 a circle and completely shy away, some completely changed their course altogether. I then figured I was using too much lure but maybe it was an unnatural set. I don't know, what do you think? I was just wondering if anyone else uses a flat set on ice?

#366499 - 10/11/07 08:12 AM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio
Could of been overpowered, but did you brush your tracks away from the sets?

#366876 - 10/11/07 03:11 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: SNIPERBBB]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Human tracks ! Make your sets from a snow machine. No footprints. Blindset the trail behind you.

#367207 - 10/11/07 07:32 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: white17]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
I think most trappers would be appalled if they were to spend a Winter trapping in snow and could how many sets have been avoided all along.
Anyway from my 50+ years experience, Winter/snow trapping requires more emphasis be put on clean and doeoderized traps and equipment as well as on personal cleanliness and scent control.
I have trapped frozen over creeks, sloughs and rivers for many years. The most productive set for fox and coyote on the ice is the scent post set. I take a bundle of weeds or marsh grass about 8" in diameter and 18" tall tied together with a brown cord and plant the bundle firmly into the ice in highly visible places where canines are passing. Trap is wrapped completely in crumpled waxed paper and covered with snow. Snow is sifted from high up in the air so the falling snow can gather air while falling. This helps keep the snow from freezing hard over the trap. No loud call lures are used, the visible scent post is the call. I sprinkle plain urine on the grass bundle and then take a natural subtle lure, my Fox or Coyote Nature's Call soaked into a cotton ball tucked right inside of the grass/weeds low down on the trap side of the set. This ensures the animal comes around to the trap side and traipses around enough getting at the lure to ensure a foot/pan connection. Drags/grapples are of course used at such sets and the animals always head for the nearest
thick brush. Ace PS- brush out all tracks and disturbances back away from the set at least 25 feet as White 17 pointed out.

#367380 - 10/11/07 09:25 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Asa Lenon]
Coppertrapper26 Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
Thanks Asa.... I don't believe human tracks were the problem mentioned above... Since there was a fresh snow over my previous tracks and I noticed that the coyotes freely traveled around my own depression of old tracks. I think maybe scent was the issue because I was using loud and long distance call lures and also heavy fox urine... At the time I knew better but was experimenting.... Another valuable lesson learned from our schoolmaster Mr. Coyote.
Thanks guys for the posts

#367450 - 10/11/07 10:23 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
StemCell Offline
trapper

Loc: East Central, Pennsylvania
Copper,
Last season, I observed a red fox working a five acre grass field that had about eight inches of snow and ice on it. The fox worked a zig zag pattern heading into the wind the entire distance of the field and went to every, and I mean every visible tuft of grass that stuck above the snow. There were only about three dozen tuffs still visible about the snow. When it finished I went into the field and noticed that most of the tufts had mice tunnels accompanying them up though the snow. I will have bundles of dried grass wrapped as Asa suggested earlier prepared for "planting" when we get sufficient snow this season to cover the vegetation. I was intending to use a mouse based lure, but the scent posts ought too work.

#377055 - 10/19/07 03:26 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: StemCell]
newhouse114 Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
While trapping in Alaska I found that the fox shied away from anything resembling dirt while trapping in the snow. I ended up using white plastic garbage bags for pan covers. I would also line the trap bed with the white plastic to prevent freeze down of my traps. I also did a lot of trapping on frozen beaver ponds with good results. After chopping and lining the trap bed I would place the trap, use and oversized pan cover and BARELY cover with powdery snow. I tried to keep the snow cover thin enough that a fox could break through even if it froze up.

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index

#381116 - 10/23/07 10:19 AM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: newhouse114]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Ever heard of Snow pads?

#381197 - 10/23/07 11:47 AM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: LT GREY]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
LT,

Isn't it cold enough there yet for some pictures of the under ice set?

-TJ

#385771 - 10/26/07 05:55 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Top Jimmy]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Top Jimmy,
I wish! It is still in the 60's and 70's during the daytime. To tell you how [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] up it is......I am still picking peppers and tomatoes and I have strawberries rippening and even more blooming! Flowers are reblooming....cold enough for ice? Not hardly! \:\)

#2877493 - 12/09/11 06:09 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Might get some pics in sequence this winter...hoping !

#4167920 - 12/10/13 10:33 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
Had to go back a ways for this one. smile

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#4169977 - 12/11/13 08:29 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

laugh

Well, as l u c k would have it, the snows came early this year...
Out temps tonight will be a 'balmy' 5 degrees f. crazy
Not our usual mid December temps.
Our coldest weather is usually January and February.
That said, the ice is forming on ponds and lakes as we speak.
Gotta have about a least 5 inches before it's good enough to trap on.
Right now, it's a 'skim'...

If it keeps up the ice may be thick enough to trap on...providing I haven't snared the coyotes that are coming up around the lakes.

#4170186 - 12/11/13 09:58 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
Ed the hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
you're way behind us Lt. Been minus 40 after the wind chill for 3 days here. Been walk on the ice for weeks LOL

We have 8 inches already unless you are on running water, a spring feed or in the cat tails. Watch the reeds boys, been up to my knees in water several times LOL

#4170437 - 12/12/13 05:58 AM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
FFTM Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin, southeast Wal count...
ASA in the set you described above. How do you bed the trap? Do you chisel one out or lay the trap on the snow and cover?

#4170486 - 12/12/13 06:55 AM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
SD Coon Catcher Offline
trapper

Loc: South Dakota
Thanks for the input everyone this is helping me out to.

#4170969 - 12/12/13 11:59 AM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
trapper jed Offline
trapper

Loc: southeastern wisconsin
A little off subject but I was wondering I'm using cable restraints in a marsh and for anchoring do you guys think chipping a small hole in the ice and putting a birksire deposible stake through and letting it refreeze will hold a coyote?

#4175142 - 12/14/13 02:28 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
SD Coon Catcher Offline
trapper

Loc: South Dakota
I am bringing this back also, how would you anchor the trap. I don't have any drags.

#4175169 - 12/14/13 02:44 PM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: Coppertrapper26]
redwood Offline
trapper

Loc: Adair Co. Missouri
Do you all just brush out your tracks with a Broom?

#4176776 - 12/15/13 11:25 AM Re: Trapping Coyotes on Ice... [Re: redwood]
Ed the hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: redwood
Do you all just brush out your tracks with a Broom?

The creek where I am trapping, the coyotes seem to avoid anyplace there are footprints in the drifted snow on the banks, but get out on the ice and they will walk right through your footprints.

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie