Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Hop to:
#387364 - 10/28/07 06:50 AM Re: Bobcats and Dirthole sets. [Re: kevin]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
If u can't use feathers, find a cattail seed pod and rip it up and it looks just like feathers.

Kevin-use a whole beaver or muskrat carcass, but stake it down and cover with some brush and leaves, that is the trash pile set AKA scratch up set

Hope this helps

John

Maker of trappers tools and gear. Have an idea? Let's talk!

Buy a soldiers meal next chance you get.

#387910 - 10/28/07 04:54 PM Re: Bobcats and Dirthole sets. [Re: traprjohn]
Mike from OK Offline
trapper

Loc: Ottawa Co., OK
I trap around brushpiles for cats.

I hang a flag(feather/fur) up high enough to catch the cats attention, but make it just out of reach for 'em (about 4'). Set the trap under the flag and use plenty of guide sticks around it. Add a little gland lure or urine nearby if you want, but I usually don't. By keeping the flag 4 feet or so above the trap, I have not had any problems with raptors.

If you can't use fur, feathers, or any other animal parts use anything that will catch the cats attention. I am seriously considering trying out white fake fur this season, hopefully it will last a little longer than the real fur/feathers.

This set goes in fast, and is simple and effective. Of course, you have to have brushpiles for it to work. Plenty of them around here, but in your area you may not have them.

Mike

P.S. All the brushpiles I set are near the woodline. I haven't set any out in the open. I just don't have the confidence in them, but I might be wrong.

#476680 - 12/22/07 11:25 AM Re: Bobcats and Dirthole sets. [Re: Mike from OK]
WildCat Offline
trapper

Loc: Oklahoma
heres how i do mine.They are mostly next to old deer trails or any well used trails going thru the woods. I don't have rocks and cliffs to set on just woodlots mostly 80 to 160 acres. I caught 14 last year on sets just like these. Once you clear the pussoms and skunks out and IF you have cats around you'll catch them. My buddy I trap with beds his traps a little futher from the hole and has success just do whatever works for you.I don't have tops on these "semi" cubby dirt hole set I make but i don't have a snow problem here.I think the cat looks in the hole and jumps over the back or i'm hoping he might look over the back and jump into the trap!I very rarely have had a cat work the set very long mostly one set of tracks in and i guess he jumps over the back and you gotta get him on the first try or he moves on.That single feather you see is on a short string about 3 inches long with a paper clip on it I get the feathers at walmart for .99 a bag. I always dip the end of the feather in a call lure and put a gland lure on the lip of the hole with a small piece of bait in the hole.I set these out last night and caught a couple of possums once i clean them out of the area i hope to get a couple of cats out of it.

#482602 - 12/26/07 12:54 AM Re: Bobcats and Dirthole sets. [Re: WildCat]
cwilld Offline
trapper

Loc: North Idaho
Wildcat, most of my sets look like the one in the first pic (except I can't have the feather there). I usualy put my lure right about where the feather is on yours. I'm thinking about trying some dirt-hole/flat sets in places where I might catch a yote too.

#483740 - 12/26/07 08:02 PM Re: Bobcats and Dirthole sets. [Re: cwilld]
WildCat Offline
trapper

Loc: Oklahoma
I put in three sets for grey fox and I tried a step down verson of the dirt hole and caught a coyote the third night.This is a link to the posting. step down dirt hole sets

#487505 - 12/28/07 09:09 PM Re: Bobcats and Dirthole sets. [Re: WildCat]
Billfrank Offline
trapper

Loc: TEXAS
I make big holes with a sharpshooter shovel and place the trap about 2 1/2" from the hole with guide sticks on the sides,white chicken feathers added. These are on logging roads with the hole cut into the bank.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  tmrschessie