Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Flemingtraps
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Fleming Traps

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3652159 - 02/20/13 04:27 PM stolen traps!
Jayson Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
So I just wanted to vent! I had 2 330's taken from my line today. From the looks of it both had a coon or other animal in them. I am just starting out and was just starting to see fur. Talked to fish and game and they stated they would keep an eye out. I thought I had the traps hidden well but I guess not. The area I'm in is starting to pick up and I want to reset my line. But worried more traps will be taken. Any suggestions?

skunk 6
raccoon 1
Beaver 1

#3652322 - 02/20/13 05:22 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
noobtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: michigan
How were the traps set? Were they easy to see

#3652463 - 02/20/13 06:05 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Jayson Offline
trapper

No I had one hidden underneath a cedar tree tucked in on a game trail. The other one was a little more noticeable but it was down on the edge of a small stream on private property. This was also located on a game trail. I though both were hidden well but I guess not.

skunk 6
raccoon 1
Beaver 1

#3652541 - 02/20/13 06:30 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper

Loc: Woodhull, Illinois 72
Were they in the water or on land?

#3652811 - 02/20/13 07:32 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Jayson Offline
trapper

Land

skunk 6
raccoon 1
Beaver 1

#3652830 - 02/20/13 07:39 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Loc: South metro, MN
Part of the game...get used to it.

Duck hunters took an even 50 of my rat traps this year in one swipe...all pinch pans, quick linked to fiberglass poles. Swiped another half DZ colonies on the way out. Just an excuse to buy more traps. It happens.

#3652898 - 02/20/13 07:56 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
pahunter308 Offline
trapper

Loc: Central PA
Other people want to feed off other people enjoying the sport. I don't know how many time I see on forums that game cams were stolen. Mine was even stolen on my private property. Sounds like the time to get the Abrams tank and sit in the woods hunting.

I hope you find the 2 legged critters that jacked your traps.
Squirrel-3

Critters fear the Reaper!!!

#3652959 - 02/20/13 08:09 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
trapper les Offline
trapper

Loc: williams,mn
Originally Posted By: Jayson
Land

can you use 330s on land in your state?legally?

#3652980 - 02/20/13 08:15 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Loc: New Mexico
Yep..I have a friend that has a bad leg so he drags it..He had 9-10 MB-650's set up a drain..check his traps yesterday and lost them all..someone knew him for sure..that was a heck of a hit $200.00 or more...Adios

#3653129 - 02/20/13 08:58 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Chamacat]
CoonNfoxtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Chamacat
Yep..I have a friend that has a bad leg so he drags it..He had 9-10 MB-650's set up a drain..check his traps yesterday and lost them all..someone knew him for sure..that was a heck of a hit $200.00 or more...Adios
YOUCHHHH!!!

#3653535 - 02/20/13 11:14 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
takeemmac Offline
trapper

Loc: ks,marion
get on ebay and buy the junkers you know the cameras that are not working....put those out in plain sight the hide your good one...

#3653612 - 02/21/13 01:31 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: trapper les]
Jayson Offline
trapper

I went through the regs and there is nothing listed against it that I could see. I'm just learning so I might have missed it. I will have to look again.

skunk 6
raccoon 1
Beaver 1

#3653620 - 02/21/13 02:39 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Chamacat]
Jayson Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Chamacat

If I took a hit like that I would not be trapping for awhile. I only have a handful of traps and too loose two is a lot for me. But to loose that many ouch. I hope someday to be able to run a long trap line. The more I learn the better and longer the line will be hopefully.

skunk 6
raccoon 1
Beaver 1

#3653812 - 02/21/13 07:11 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Yep..So this is what I do..If you are trapping..and in an area that has critter sign...BUT..you have a gut feeling that there are people in the area or could be..And the sets that you are going to make are close to where your gut tells you..a theft could happen..I go to my trap box and drag out the old #3 and #4 victor double long springs..I was given many many traps..I have modded them up with pans and what not..got like 5.00-6.50...In the trap..So it's not a great loss..where it hits is in your mind..because your mind is wondering..who is it?..how do they know?..will they be back?...now you really get trap shy about what your doing..Then you start to find ways of checking traps and leaving no sign of you being there..you start to be crafty about the time you are there,,you get out of the truck and wait..listen..listen some more..look at the ground..look at the ground some more..was that there yesterday?..hmm..

#3653954 - 02/21/13 08:38 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
lonewolf49 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Woods, WI
Years ago I had a coon in my 160 in the river - they took the coon and left the 160!.

#3653971 - 02/21/13 08:47 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Idtrapper Offline
trapper

I hope your way out somewhere - setting 330's on land is a bad idea if your even close to people.
and if someone found them you are...Setting 330's on a trail is just asking to be the next trapper to kill a dog...and give us all another black eye...
Just because you can doesn't mean you should..

#3654135 - 02/21/13 10:10 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Idtrapper]
Bobcat Morris Offline
trapper

Loc: Miller County MO
Originally Posted By: Idtrapper
I hope your way out somewhere - setting 330's on land is a bad idea if your even close to people.
and if someone found them you are...Setting 330's on a trail is just asking to be the next trapper to kill a dog...and give us all another black eye...

Not to start a fight, but it is not Jaysons' responsibility to keep other peoples' pet's out of his traps, if he is trapping within his states regulations then have at it ;-)

#3654216 - 02/21/13 10:49 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Yep...Not start a fight..This year I was trapping 500 yards away from an occupied dwelling..the law says 440 yards..Well guess what..I caught the guys atolian shepard..A high dollar livestock herd dog..I always use two traps..He wasn't in the trap very long..I get to the set and see what's happening..there was never any domestic dogs in the area from before..I set the trap..then..long story short..the dog was hauled off to a vet..Even though I was legal..After the game warden showed up and used his rangefinder..I was SICK..And know it's iffy..If I can ever return to the area..Ya see the dog was chasing a coyote off of it's property and got onto another property and found my set..I have even payed part of the 700.00 vet bill..Why I might not get to trap is cause these people are neighbors..and want to remain that way..So guess what the trapper probably gotta go...Adios

#3654326 - 02/21/13 11:31 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Bobcat Morris Offline
trapper

I've caught my fair share of dogs and I HATE it, this year I caught the land owners dog, the worst possible dog a guy can catch, but the land owner knew I was there, elected not to pen up his dog (even though he told me he would) he took responsibility for it, he knew it was his fault, did I feel bad? Absolutely, but I was legal and I had permission, luckily there was no damage to the dog, just a sore foot for a day, and the land owner was a great guy, he said I could still trap, but with only a few days left, I felt bad so I called it a year. Granted it was not a #330 as we are not legal to use them in MO above ground, but if we was, holy crap I would have bucket sets everywhere!! And if I hammered someones wandering dog, bad news for them, cause I follow the laws and I trap private ground. Keep your pets up people, I keep mine up ;-)

#3654483 - 02/21/13 12:31 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Idtrapper Offline
trapper

He is within regs for sure,but probably on public land.
Last year was first time in years that we had any real changes to are trapping regs.
I don't wan't to see any more.So like I said just because you can doesn't mean you should..

#3654504 - 02/21/13 12:39 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Idtrapper Offline
trapper

My bad - re-read his post he was on private ground..

#3654871 - 02/21/13 03:12 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Rat Trapper Sr. Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I would advise everyone to do all they can to avoid catching a dog. None of us need to be the guy who caused the state to outlaw or pass more laws on us. This is one reason I do not use buckets. When using wooden cubbies I recess my 160's 7 inches. My own lab once stuck his nose in one of my cubbies and got smatched on the nose but no damage. In cases like that you might want to rethink using Belisle traps and they could damage a dogs nose, where other 160's would allow the dog to pull out. In my case it was the dogs fault as he was told to stay on the seat of the UTV.

#3655006 - 02/21/13 04:12 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Jayson Offline
trapper

Ya I am still learning. I spent along time looking over the regs because the last thing I want is to cause more problems for us. I figured I 'm out in the middle of no were. I'm running on private property (who has no pets). So I figured it would be ok. I'll have to pay closer attention to who's watching as I set my traps. Needless to say it is a learning experience and one I hope I can get better at.

skunk 6
raccoon 1
Beaver 1

#3655165 - 02/21/13 05:11 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Jayson Offline
trapper

So I've learned there is a lot of debate over using 330's on land. How about 220 in bucket sets or if I make up my own box to place them in? Can you camo these a little better and hide them better just a thought?

skunk 6
raccoon 1
Beaver 1

#3655261 - 02/21/13 05:38 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Yep..If one looks at all the problems trapper get into..10 outa 10 times it involves a DOG...Adios

#3655760 - 02/21/13 08:13 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Patrick D. Offline
trapper

Loc: Ontario, Canada
However what about stray cats, I caught one in a barn the guys wife was livid and kicked me off the property. It was just a stray to, cause at least here in Ontario all dogs have to be leashed, unless hunting, and the guys whos lands I trap on I take a great deal of care not to trap any dogs but it does happen regardless.

#3655903 - 02/21/13 08:44 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
SWTrapper Offline
trapper

Had our local game warden call me today and ask me if I was trapping in a certain spot. I was not, but was a few miles away and had been in the general area a month or so ago. Seems that someone decided to go out on a forest road pull over and let their dog run. Well the god ended up in a snare and even though it didn't kill it or do much more than bruise it, the guy was mad and filed a complaint. The game warden told me everything was legal about the set except there was no name or trapper # on it.

I purposely stay away from people to trap, don't want to catch the dogs, or give someone a reason to complain, but I do worry about the Lion hunters and their dogs. Now it seems I have to worry about the yupies bring their pets to the wild and turning them loose. Whats next???? maybe we should make the government or the state responsible for the rock that put a hole in my tire last week while I was driving to my trap line.

Coyotes - 5/30
Bobcats - 0/10
Fox - 1/10
Ringtail - 0/2
Skunks - 1/0
Misses - 3/0

Sheds - 60/200lbs

#3655961 - 02/21/13 08:54 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
trapsalot88 Offline
trapper

Loc: id
I will have to agree with idtrapper. 330 get to the point and should be set with caution. Most likely not on land. 330 have the potential to bring the worst image to trapping than all the other traps. I agree with "if its legal give her [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot]" but is it worth the negative outlook today's society has on trapping.

#3656021 - 02/21/13 09:10 PM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
SWTrapper Offline
trapper

I agree that the negative outlook is something we have to be cautious of, however, on the public lands we do all we can to minimize the possibilities and they come out where we are trapping, no leash, no care in the world, and the dog gets caught and we are the bad guys.

Coyotes - 5/30
Bobcats - 0/10
Fox - 1/10
Ringtail - 0/2
Skunks - 1/0
Misses - 3/0

Sheds - 60/200lbs

#3656645 - 02/22/13 07:26 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Bobcat Morris Offline
trapper

Sorry guys, I hate to be stubborn, but I am NOT tip toeing about my trapline, if I ever catch a dog, there is no doubt in my mind that that dog had no business being there, it is either A) a stray, B) Trespassing or C) the land owner did not lock it up like he told me he would. I do not ever have to worry about catching a dog in a 330, we can't use them above ground, so I don't, I will not risk losing my hunting and trapping privileges, but as far as foot holding a dog goes, I trap 99% private ground, and 99% of the time I trap where there should be no dogs, if I catch one, chances are it was not supposed to be there. Now don't get me wrong, I hate catching dogs, I love dogs, it makes me sick to see one in my set, but for the love of God if you wanna keep your dogs out of my sets then be a responsible pet owner and keep your pets on YOUR property, I am a responsible pet owner and trapper, but I am not tip-toeing around the rules and regulations to make sure little fluffy fufu can run all over Gods' green earth.

#3656656 - 02/22/13 07:35 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: SWTrapper]
Bobcat Morris Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: SWTrapper
I agree that the negative outlook is something we have to be cautious of, however, on the public lands we do all we can to minimize the possibilities and they come out where we are trapping, no leash, no care in the world, and the dog gets caught and we are the bad guys.

Not even a problem in MO, stupid antis have it where all we can use on public ground is DPs, bunch of BS in my opinion.

#3657141 - 02/22/13 11:04 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Jayson]
Rizzy Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Idaho
Risky business to say the least. You can't be selective when using conibears on land. Hypothetically speaking, when that ranch wife is taking her morning walk and sees her cat in your trap, the $hit hits the fan, legal or not. All for a 15$ yellow coon. If you are going for late coon use a DP with sweet bait instead, they are easier to hide, and cheaper too.

#3657191 - 02/22/13 11:25 AM Re: stolen traps! [Re: Bobcat Morris]
Idaho Bison Offline
trapper

Loc: Lewiston, Idaho
So would you have him replace it with a snare? I think a dog is more likely to reject a conibear than a snare. Dead just the same if they walk through either one. If I thought I'd catch a dog in either I wouldn't set but if a dog walks through one 5 miles from the nearest house I can't blame the trapper.

Originally Posted By: Bobcat Morris
Originally Posted By: Idtrapper

Not to start a fight, but it is not Jaysons' responsibility to keep other peoples' pet's out of his traps, if he is trapping within his states regulations then have at it ;-)

Edited by Idaho Bison (02/22/13 11:26 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30