Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Informative post (pics)............ [Re: Uncle Fester] #355080
10/01/07 06:53 PM
10/01/07 06:53 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
I think what y'all will find out is that different beavers repair the dam from different angles. Many times this depends on what the beaver is using for the repair, sometimes its due to varying water amounts passing through the dam, and sometimes its just that different beavers approach differently.

I've had dam break sets using a foot hold where I'd catch four in a row with the trap postioned dead-center in front of the break, and the fifth beaver would not work from dead-center. Many times I'd catch this different acting beaver by postioning the trap at the side of the break, rather than dead-center.

If the water flow through the break has slowed to a trickle, many times I've found that they bulldoze mud and leaves from the bottom into the break. If the water flow is significant, they seem to push sticks into the sides of the break first, then push the mud and leaves into the break.

They are fun to observe.

Re: Informative post (pics)............ [Re: Paul Dobbins] #355114
10/01/07 07:30 PM
10/01/07 07:30 PM
MD 36
L
lrjakes Offline
trapper
lrjakes  Offline
trapper
L

MD 36
They are cool little critters. And fairly tolerant of human spys.

one thing to consider is that when they bulldoze, they'll push your trap and all right up into the hole if you set too close.

I have come back after setting to find my trap had become part of their dam. At first i thought i had a wiseguy beaver, but more than likely it just got pushed up with the other debris.

BTW, I am nooooooo beaver trapper. I am, however, a professional coyote cage trapper. (I jus dont catch a lot!)

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91