Young Trappers Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3539688 - 01/06/13 08:26 PM Treeing walker
trapperdude724 Offline
trapper

Loc: southwest mo
Just got a 5 and half month old male treeing walker. Any suggestions on what I should do when I catch my next coon? Ive been told that I shouldent let him fight with it? What if i shot and wounded the coon? Any thoughts?

#3539710 - 01/06/13 08:30 PM Re: Treeing walker [Re: trapperdude724]
Pasadena Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio,45yrs old,
Has he treed yet?

#3539757 - 01/06/13 08:43 PM Re: Treeing walker [Re: trapperdude724]
trapperdude724 Offline
trapper

Loc: southwest mo
Not yet. Im still sure he doesent really get the idea of what hes doing out in the woods. Ive taken him out for the passed two nights and hes smelled around in the woods. My friend and I both have pups and we have been hunting together. The recent owner of nitro had only taken him out once...

#3540275 - 01/07/13 06:13 AM Re: Treeing walker [Re: trapperdude724]
Pasadena Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio,45yrs old,
They have instinct, but they still need training. I wouldn't introduce a live coon to your dog yet. Get a good book on training hounds and go from there. Your're not going to make a Grand Night Champion out of a dog that doesn't have it, but you can make a yard crapper out of not doing the proper training on a good dog.

#3542174 - 01/07/13 08:24 PM Re: Treeing walker [Re: trapperdude724]
CoonHuntRedbones Offline
trapper

Loc: SE MINNESOTA Age 18
1st. Get a skinned coon and lay some drags for him.
2nd once he gets good at treeing them get a live coon in a cage trap.
3rd Introduce him to it while it is still in the cage.
4th Let him go with the coon and another older dog. Let the older dog go first so they get to it first. But you also want the pup to get bit a little so he gets use to it.
5th let him go on a live coon
6th take him hunting smile

Helpful when you can run him with another hound.

Coon: 10/25
Muskrat: 0/10
Beaver: 0/1
Coyote: 0/1
Red Fox: 0/1
Mink: 0/2
Grinner: 0/0
Skunk: 1/0

#3545240 - 01/08/13 10:52 PM Re: Treeing walker [Re: trapperdude724]
OHcoonskinner Offline
trapper

Loc: Carroll county,Ohio
Dont ever let a young hound chew on a live coon! Thats about the quickest way to ruin a potentially great hound! To start him, start with dead coons or drags. When he gets the hang of it introduce him to caged coon, then find a field with a small patch of trees in it, make a scent trail with the caged coon, set the caged coon 50-60 yards away from the patch of trees. Let him bark at the caged coon for about 45 seconds - 1 minute. Hold him back away from the cage and have somebody let the coon out and hold on to your dog. Wait for the coon to get to the tree and then let the dog loose. Let him tree for awhile, make sure you pet him and praise him and most importantly SOUND EXCITED. Tie him back from the tree, shoot the coon out and make sure its dead before you let him chew on it. And hunt him ALOT! Good luck!
Skunks- Public Enemy #1
Possums- Public Enemy #2

Moderator:  2poor, Bogmaster, tmrschessie