No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3516091 - 12/27/12 11:13 PM Groenewold lost my business tonight!!!
logan Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
I went to possibly sell my fur tonight to Groenewold. I have been there before but have never sold to him. I have heard on here that do complain you don't have to sell to him. You can always take them back. Well I started to put my raccoons up to him and as he finished grading and telling me the prices I asked for average. (As I started to hand him my rats) he told me to hurry up because of the line up. And then told me the prices on the rats. I then ask again for avg. He told me rat avg., I then replied "ok what about the racoons" he replied th avg for raccoons. I told no that I will take them back. He started giving me the raccoon back and I told him I also would my rats back. He told me I allready sold him the rats and I could not have them back! I told him I never said that I sold them to him. He then continued with calling me a liar! No checks were ever printed at this time! He has lost all my business along with all my fellow trappers that witnessed it!

#3516099 - 12/27/12 11:15 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Boostinhard Offline
trapper

Loc: Grand Detour, IL (32)
Did you get your rats back?

Good for you for taking a stand and having a backbone.

#3516102 - 12/27/12 11:17 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
logan Offline
trapper

Never got my rats back!

#3516107 - 12/27/12 11:19 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Boostinhard Offline
trapper

How many rats were there? I would have called the law.

#3516109 - 12/27/12 11:21 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Loc: louisiana
Originally Posted By: logan
Never got my rats back!

I would have call the police before I moved out of line if I hadnt gotten my fur back

#3516111 - 12/27/12 11:23 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Wow that sounds worse than FOXX furs

#3516113 - 12/27/12 11:27 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Boco]
c hartman Offline
trapper

Loc: pellston mi
WoW the rat market must really be as tight as some have been saying on here!!!!!!!!!

Going to try and get a few traps in for them tomorrow. Hope there is still a few around!!!!

c hartman

#3516119 - 12/27/12 11:34 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: c hartman]
Swifty Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
So, you got no rats and no check back, or no rats back but you got a check for an amount you didn't agree to?

#3516125 - 12/27/12 11:37 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Swifty]
Boostinhard Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Swifty
So, you got no rats and no check back, or no rats back but you got a check for an amount you didn't agree to?

He said in his post, "No checks were issued at this time"

#3516127 - 12/27/12 11:39 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
logan Offline
trapper

Never gave me my rats back and he forced the check out the window at me after I got my coons!

Edited by logan (12/27/12 11:40 PM)

#3516129 - 12/27/12 11:41 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Boostinhard Offline
trapper

How many rats and what was your average?

Why would you say that no checks were issued at this time, and then a couple posts later say that he threw a check at you out of the window?

Edited by Boostinhard (12/27/12 11:48 PM)

#3516143 - 12/27/12 11:49 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
logan Offline
trapper

The only reason I didn't go any farther is because I only had 13 rats. The avg. was around 9.50 for early dec rats no damage or kits. Since I didn't want to sell my racoons for a 12 avg. I would just ship them all to NAFA.

#3516148 - 12/27/12 11:57 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Boostinhard]
logan Offline
trapper

After I augured with him and got all my coons out the window he than had enough time to have his helped print the check and send it out the window.

#3516152 - 12/27/12 11:59 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
TRapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Central IA
man i am sorry dude, i have never dealt with the buyer from groeny that works the michigan route, i have only dealt with mike here in iowa and i know he is a stand up buyer. good luck at nafa

I also build websites like:
www.CallTheTrapper.com

www.SlimPedersen.com

www.BlackWolfTaxidermy.com

#3516171 - 12/28/12 12:10 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Boostinhard]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Loc: South metro, MN
Originally Posted By: Boostinhard
How many rats were there? I would have called the law.

The law can't make him give the rats back if he/s paid you for them. It ventured into "civil Law"...which is different than "criminal Law"...that the police handle. Civil law is handled in civil court. You'd have to sue him. Just FYI.

#3516172 - 12/28/12 12:10 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Illinois
Logan if you feel you have been wronged, then by all means don't cash that check. I would call there main office and report what happen at your stop. I would see if they would make things right or not first, might just be the buyer they have is a jerk or maybe he had a bad day, but let them know straight up how you feel. Sounds like he was told no a lot by a good amount of trappers to get that kind of reaction out of him..lol...RTT

#3516180 - 12/28/12 12:16 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Blunderbuss Offline
trapper

Loc: California and Nevada
Ringtail, I read this page and think your are very smart. It Sounds like wrong was done, but your advice is wise.

#3516187 - 12/28/12 12:22 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Nailer Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Selling furs to a guy behind a window reminds me of the show COPS and people buying crack from a guy behind a window... I've never dealt with a buyer like that... I remember in my dog running days of loading 200+ coon back up and going to another buyer with no problem

#3516192 - 12/28/12 12:26 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Nailer Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
I agree Ringtail... Problem is the offer may still not be satisfactory to his wants and he will never get back the same fur if he sues.... Shady, just plain shady <shrugs>

#3516223 - 12/28/12 01:07 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Grub Offline
trapper

Loc: michigan,
Sorry to hear that. i would not be happy , glad I didn't go with you now.

#3516238 - 12/28/12 02:30 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

Loc: Stronghurst, Illinois
wow.

#3516239 - 12/28/12 02:30 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

Loc: Stronghurst, Illinois
Do you know the buyers name?

#3516261 - 12/28/12 04:31 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
kratt Offline
trapper

Loc: minn. st.louis
Sold to groeny last night in Sup. Wisc couldnt be happier. 2xl rats were 15.00.George was a complete gentleman.

#3516280 - 12/28/12 05:04 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
Jekel and Hyde trick hey....lol

#3516287 - 12/28/12 05:23 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
hippie Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
should not have said "ok" about the rats. when i read your story, i also thought the rat average was "ok" with you and you wanted to sell them. they may have hit the pile when you said that.

#3516309 - 12/28/12 06:24 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Mic NC Offline
trapper

Loc: North Carolina
If I didn't want to sell he would have had to kill me !!

#3516313 - 12/28/12 06:26 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: kratt]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
Originally Posted By: kratt
Sold to groeny last night in Sup. Wisc couldnt be happier. 2xl rats were 15.00.George was a complete gentleman.

What was your average if you dont mind me asking?

How big is a 2xl rat?

#3516371 - 12/28/12 07:19 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
I have been treated well the majority of the time. I usually wait till near last., like to BS with other trappers,drives my wife nuts.

I didnt like them the first time, couldn't hear with the diesel running, they told me my ice beaver were early beaver, , but the price was fair.

#3516391 - 12/28/12 07:30 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: kratt]
MnMan Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN, sort of old
Originally Posted By: kratt

I sold to him there too last night..I was the second guy to sell...in the black Ford pickup. I was happy with the results. I have always liked and been treated fairly by George...great guy in my book. Not many sellers there when I left. I did not bring rats or mink to sell...plan to ship them to NAFA.

#3516392 - 12/28/12 07:31 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Dale Torma]
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper

Loc: Midland, Michigan
Never had a problem selling to them. Why were you asking for an avg at the window? You figure that out in your head or after you sell. That isn't their job to figure that out.

Sounds like you learned a lesson. Sorry you feel you were wronged.

Might have been better to cut your teeth with a country buyer, not a traveling buyer with guys lined up to sell.

Erik Johnson

#3516394 - 12/28/12 07:31 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
logan Offline
trapper

Rats 15, 11, 7, 3 coons 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 7, 5, 2. Are all the prices I heard last night.

#3516442 - 12/28/12 08:01 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Rusty Axe Camp]
Mack Offline
trapper

Loc: Upper Michigan
Originally Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp
Never had a problem selling to them. Why were you asking for an avg at the window? You figure that out in your head or after you sell. That isn't their job to figure that out.

Sounds like you learned a lesson. Sorry you feel you were wronged.

Might have been better to cut your teeth with a country buyer, not a traveling buyer with guys lined up to sell.

X2, I've dealt with these guys for many years and have never asked for (or ever heard anyone else ask for) an average at the window. They have a limited amount of time at each stop and, as hippie mentioned earlier, you did say "OK" to the rats. 15, 11, 7, and 3 are not bad prices for rats IMO.

#3516451 - 12/28/12 08:05 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Castormound Offline
trapper

Loc: Cheyenne Wyoming
Hippie, I think you are spot on. Sounds like the rat price was agreed to, rats were taken out of the window and thrown into a big pile. Sale complete at that point, no way to get "your" rats back out of the pile. Rusty Axe also made a great point, when you are selling to someone who has people lined up behind you, it's go time.

#3516455 - 12/28/12 08:08 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
blackhammer Offline
trapper

Loc: sseMinnesota
The one problem with the rat wagon ,in other words buying at stops out of truck is you should not be hurried along as you sell fur. That is BS. A guy works hard for his fur and then Groeny moves you through like loading cattle.If a buyer can't exchange in a little small talk and make customers feel they come first well then I'm not giving them my fur or time either. Go sell to Wiebkes there a buyer who will treat you well and with respect. They buy out of two nice locations in warm buildings. By the way from what I've seen their averages are as good and in most cases higher than anyones.

Edited by blackhammer (12/28/12 08:31 AM)

#3516475 - 12/28/12 08:22 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: blackhammer]
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper

Loc: Midland, Michigan
Originally Posted By: blackhammer
The one problem with the rat wagon ,in other words buying at stops out of truck is you should not be hurried along as you sell fur. That is BS. A guy works hard for his fur and then Groeny moves you through like loading cattle.If a buyer can't exchange in a little small talk and make customers feel they come first well then I'm not giving them my fur or time either. Go sell to Wiebkes there a buyer who will treat you well and with respect. They buy out of two nice locations in warm buildings.

Pros and cons...

I have a feeling the $500 in fuel I'd burn to drive there and back to Wiebkes would offset the fur prices.

Once you learn the Groney routine, it is simple and painless. Have good fur, make it look nice and he pays well.

Show up with frozen non-combed early fur and he does not.

Erik Johnson

#3516483 - 12/28/12 08:25 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
MJM Offline
trapper

Loc: ND
I know from what I have seen on the rat wagon, they act like they have no time to deal with you. They pretty much act like you should be honered and take what ever they offer. I feel for you Logan, you were not treated right.

#3516492 - 12/28/12 08:29 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Maybe he really did think you had agreed to the price when you said "ok, what about the raccoons" and were trying to go back on the agreement when you tried to get them back.

He's probably sitting in the shop talking about the guy who agreed to the price, how he even figured out your average for you, and then you wanted to back out of the deal.

#3516496 - 12/28/12 08:30 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Deer Lane Offline
trapper

Loc: W, Pa, 57 yrs
Do the people at the window work on commission?

#3516502 - 12/28/12 08:33 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
tmrschessie Offline

If you like the way your treated continue to sell there, if you don't shipping to NAFA is usually easier and defiantly less painful then what you went through. You don't need to be herded through...if they are that busy they should have gotten there earlier. Just my thoughts on it. Tom

#3516505 - 12/28/12 08:36 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
garman Offline
trapper

Loc: minnesota
Part of the problem, also, with the rat wagon is they have a time frame to place to place. If they get behind then they get chewed out by the trappers for that. If you want to be able to small talk, take to a buyer with a building. Much like blackhammer stated, the rat wagon is not like that. I sell to groeney through Mike Mazur at Spirit Lake, Ia and also when he did the rat wagon. I have been very happy most the time. I have also sold to auction. To be honest I have also sold to Lee in WI, and Cumberlands they are all good people.

#3516509 - 12/28/12 08:37 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
CajunMan Offline
trapper

Loc: Lakeland, Louisiana
I would have pulled him and my rats out of that window before I left!!

#3516511 - 12/28/12 08:37 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
There is a learning curve to selling. Not like buying is easy either.

I would write them.

#3516527 - 12/28/12 08:47 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
There are 2 sides to every story. Unfortunately all were going to hear is yours.

Having dealt with them for over 30 years, I have never been treated in such a manner, nor have I witnessed anyone else treated in such a manner.

#3516535 - 12/28/12 08:49 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Grub]
Matt Jones Offline
"Stitches"

Loc: Kentucky
i can't beleave all the posts i've seen where guys let there coon go for 15 bucks (northern coon) don't blame you boys for selling the rats but i put alittle work in my coon and alot of my kentucky coon brought in the twentys at nafa last two sales

even my better xl coon brought ten bucks...for you boys that have never fleshed coon...you can push the fat off one in about 3 minutes...takes way more time to catch one, then put one up. they dry in about 4 days with a fan on them.

coon like these, semi's...

matt

#3516554 - 12/28/12 08:58 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
MJM Offline
trapper

I always wonder about people selling those coon for $12 too. I didn't see the coon, but the top price has gone up $10 on coon and the avg seems to have gone up $1 for most people posting prices. Some how that doesn't work out to me. I know some do real well selling to Groney, but I think others pay for it. I am with Matt on the coon prices most of you are getting.

#3516564 - 12/28/12 09:04 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: ringtailtrapper]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
Originally Posted By: ringtailtrapper
Logan if you feel you have been wronged, then by all means don't cash that check. I would call there main office and report what happen at your stop. I would see if they would make things right or not first, might just be the buyer they have is a jerk or maybe he had a bad day, but let them know straight up how you feel. Sounds like he was told no a lot by a good amount of trappers to get that kind of reaction out of him..lol...RTT

Just what I was gonna say call the office someone signs his check!!!

Jerry Herbst

#3516565 - 12/28/12 09:04 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
bluedogdaisy Offline
trapper

The first time I sold to Groeny there was a skinny buyer that came to Michigan and he was a very nice and personal buyer a pleasure to talk with. It was probably Guy ( short with a big belly) that was the buyer and he is one of the owners. He has no personality at all, he asked one time what could make the sellers experience better. I told him to be more personal with the customers and let them know what he likes and dislikes about there fur. Obviously he didnt think that was very good advice. That was the last time that I sold to him.

#3516583 - 12/28/12 09:17 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Kobear Offline
trapper

Loc: West Central, MN
Well at my Dec. NAFA stop there wasn't any small talk, stood in line, furs tossed into trailer, and goodbye. And I will find out my average around the end of February. So is there really any difference? Especially since they have billed a January Sale but it may not happen?

Having an average in mind before you go to the buyer is a great way to not sell any fur. Even one pelt grading damaged or slight out of the 13 this guy had could drop the buying price below his ideal average.

So you were thinking what for an average $10??? I barely got that at NAFA last year.

#3516593 - 12/28/12 09:25 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Kobear]
blackhammer Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Kobear
Well at my Dec. NAFA stop there wasn't any small talk, stood in line, furs tossed into trailer, and goodbye. And I will find out my average around the end of February. So is there really any difference? Especially since they have billed a January Sale but it may not happen?

Having an average in mind before you go to the buyer is a great way to not sell any fur. Even one pelt grading damaged or slight out of the 13 this guy had could drop the buying price below his ideal average.

So you were thinking what for an average $10??? I barely got that at NAFA last year.
You didn't sell them at the trailor did you? You got grading sheets on the fur ,you could watch them sell. A lot more information involved in the whole process than a two minute here's what they worth ,NEXT. LOL

Edited by blackhammer (12/28/12 09:26 AM)

#3516616 - 12/28/12 09:39 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

I don't get this whole "average" thing, anyway. Sure, it is a good market indicator when you have a whole lot of fur to average out, such as at an auction, but on an individual basis when selling small amounts it means nothing.

#3516623 - 12/28/12 09:42 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
upnorthwi Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
I have been selling to Groenewold for years and have always been treated with respect. George is the buyer on my route, he is a strait shooter and has always been good to me. I averaged 18.80 on 24 Northern Wisconsin coon in the grease. maybe I could have done better at auction, but I didn't have to pay a commission or wait 6 months for a check either.

#3516627 - 12/28/12 09:43 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Kobear]
Kre Offline
trapper

Loc: USA-WI
Originally Posted By: Kobear
Well at my Dec. NAFA stop there wasn't any small talk, stood in line, furs tossed into trailer, and goodbye. And I will find out my average around the end of February. So is there really any difference?

Yes, there's a difference.

When you go to a NAFA pick-up spot, you know you're just dropping off fur and won't learn anything about prices. When you go to Groeney, you get your prices right away.

Yes, there's a HUGE difference.

#3516651 - 12/28/12 09:58 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa
It's all about average for me.
Could care less about 1 being $100 and the other 99 being a buck.
Worse yet, the buyers that break em down into 19 grades then throw em all in one pile.

Funny, I typed the could care less about the $100, while wearing TL hat lol.

If that Ky picture is recent I want to trap there, rather than this trackless
tundra, with mud underneath.

Buyers sure get busted on here, nature of the Tman beast I guess.
I remember a time of many country buyers,
the more the merrier I say.

#3516672 - 12/28/12 10:15 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
PocketJax Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
I've sold to Groenewold several times. There's pros and cons involved obviously. If you can look past the fact that you are not going to EVER average much more than the other 20 guys selling that day no matter how good the quality of fur you bring, you'll be happy. That's not right but just the reality of it.

I've sold a couple of hundred winter caught muskrats at a time and averaged very little more than those who took in early November-caught muskrats. It's all about average with them and maintaining it with ALL the sellers and believe me, they'll maintain that average or close to it regardless of what you bring them unless you have a bunch of junk.

Having check in hand to cash immediately is definitely the advantage. I've always been treated fairly by them and told my put-ups and green coon were properly prepared. Guy has bought my furs the last several times and I've been treated and spoken to in a professional manner. Nobody says your buyer has to become your instant buddy.

I've sold to other outlets but usually sell to Groenewold's every year at least once.

Member OSTA

http://www.facebook.com/AandJWildlifeControl

#3516717 - 12/28/12 10:41 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Keep it up matt, one day like me you'll have a pile of coons with UNSOLD on them at every sale for years on end, then one day get a check showing they sold for .25, next sale those same coon mysteriously are worth 6.00!

Just a roll of the dice selling fur now days, todays 12.00 rat might not be worth 2.00 by Feb. But of course if it's worth 20.00 those that shipped will run out to say see I told ya so, lol.

#3516727 - 12/28/12 10:47 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
ogletrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: illinois ogle county
we who live in northern illinois wish there was another fur buyer here too.

#3516749 - 12/28/12 10:58 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: CajunMan]
upstateNY Offline
trapper

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: CajunMan
I would have pulled him and my rats out of that window before I left!!
YUP.If I said no sale give me my rats back,,and he said no,,talkin time would be over!

#3516779 - 12/28/12 11:10 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: BuckNE]
michael_obrien Offline
trapper

Loc: mn
Originally Posted By: BuckNE
I don't get this whole "average" thing, anyway. Sure, it is a good market indicator when you have a whole lot of fur to average out, such as at an auction, but on an individual basis when selling small amounts it means nothing.

i couldnt disagree any more Buck. say i have 1000 rats and in my head i want a 10 average. the only number i want to hear is 10k, and i couldnt give a rats hairy arse how he gets to that number, so long as he does. if he gives me $3 for 3/4 of the pile i dont care so long as the other 25% bring that average up. same as if i only have 100 rats. im only interested in the avg. he can dazzle me all day long with an 18 top, but if that final number aint 1000 then no sale- if thats what im sticking to.

michael

#3516803 - 12/28/12 11:21 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Loc: South metro, MN
An average is all I look at. Could care less about anything else.

#3516811 - 12/28/12 11:23 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
blackhammer Offline
trapper

The other side of it is let's say you have only forty rats almost all xl or better. Then that ten dollar average would suck. The top end is overrated but above average lots of fur should have a premium. Those bunches are the ones hurt by the all mighty average.The average buying can make anyone a fur grading,buying expert. That said I always ask about the average first thing.But for me a good buyer or auction is someone giving you more for better stuff.

Edited by blackhammer (12/28/12 11:26 AM)

#3516817 - 12/28/12 11:27 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
michael_obrien Offline
trapper

thats why guys like you and me know what we have before we go in paul. i sort and pregrade my rats before i head to dans and come up with what i feel they are worth and sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt. i think his grading board and mine arent on the same measuring system sometimes, but then again we all think our fur is a hair bit better than it actually is.

#3516821 - 12/28/12 11:28 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
wingnut Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington state
I sell local. I set my prices. Multiple buyers bid. If they meet or exceeed my asking price...SOLD! If they do not meet/exceed my asking price I get the choice to sell or take home.
2 otter
1 mink
2 raccoon

#3516822 - 12/28/12 11:28 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Michael, that's why I said "small amounts".

If you have 10 coons, and you picked 4 of them up off the highway, get $15 for 6 of them and $2 for the other 4 and walk away with a $9.80 average, it doesn't mean you were lowballed.

#3516836 - 12/28/12 11:35 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
colt Offline
trapper

Loc: waubay, SD
had some thing similar happen last spring with another buyer. i had a older guy trapping with me he was 71. he had taken the guy 7 put up rats and got a average of $3.31. the buyer was paying $5 for rats in the carcass. i told the older trapper i was going with the next time he sells i am going with he had 13 put up rats and 9 carcass. walking up he took the carcass rats threw them in the back of the truck like he had bought them. them he went to sizing and grading. sizing he was using a piece of card board. he kneeled down next to it trying to hide what he was doing. lucky for me there was 2 of us and i seen him hang the rats over and measure from from the eyes. he piled them in 5 piles as he went. he turned to his secretary to tell her the the prices. thats were i stepped in and cut him off. told him i wanted the break down with prices. needless to say it came to a $4 average no sale now the buyer was upset. asked if we wanted the carcass rats back and how many we had i told him 12 and he cut the check.

#3516887 - 12/28/12 11:56 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Huntgod Offline
trapper

Loc: Hayward, Wi
I'm taking 160 "gas money" rats to Groenwald this afternoon. Not cherry picked,just a grab and go. Will post an average this evening.

Never had a bad expierience selling to George in the past and don't expect one this time. The last time I sold some rats,we did a nose count as they were running late. I gave George the figure I had in mind for my rats and he beat that figure by .25 a rat. Hate when I get screwed like that.....lol

Edited by Huntgod (12/28/12 11:56 AM)

#3516919 - 12/28/12 12:06 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
CoonNfoxtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
I dont like handing my Fur threw that window Never know what your gettting back and as soon as a buyer gets pushy he can Fly a kite. I dont sell to Groenwald if i dont have too Been 12 years since the last time.

#3517000 - 12/28/12 12:42 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
kickin buck Offline
trapper

Loc: sw Wisconsin
I thought those prices he gave you was fair though I didnt see your fur.I just cant belive people raise that much fuss when selling a dozen furs.By the time you take to have them sold somewhere else and sell for maybe a 50 cent better average is it worth it? Greony needs to make a profit also.You are not going to get top dollar unless you sell to NAFA. Nothing wrong with $9.00 rat average but like I say I wasnt there to see your fur either.

#3517017 - 12/28/12 12:51 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
hippie Offline
trapper

outta all these freakin posts about averages, no one, not even this logan saidd what for rats he didn't want to sell for x amount. the last groeny thread i asked a couple times what size rats they were selling and got not 1 answer! do you folks not measure your rats and know going in what size ya have? even hunting god a couple posts above, gonna give his average, maybe he grabs alot of big rats? i don't understand why ya'll don't know what your selling?

#3517048 - 12/28/12 01:04 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Capac Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Capac, MI
I think a seller wants to know why the prices for there furs are so far apart when they appear to be the same quality fur and Groenewold does not explain that at the window. You do feel like you are cattle in the slaughter line. You can't see up in the truck what they are doing with your fur that you worked so hard for. I sold last night also in Kingston, MI
Before i left i sorted my fur by sizes.. All of my fur was caught in the month of December, nice prime rats and mink.
This is what i wrote down when i sorted my fur at home before i left so i could compare to his prices.

2 XXL COONS
5 XXXL RATS
12 XXL RATS
12 XL RATS
1 LG RAT
1 LG RAT S/D
3 18" LG FEMALE MINK 1 w/ slight damage
1 19" LG MALE MINK
1 20" LG MALE MINK
1 21.5" XL MALE MINK
1 23.5 XXL MALE MINK

My check from Groenewold was for $472
Break down...
2 Coon $15 each
1 Mink at $8
2 Mink at $15 each
2 Mink at $20 each
1 Mink at $25
1 Mink at $30
$19 average on mink
The mink/coon prices a can understand...they make since w/ what i had recorded before i left.
The Rat prices not so much..
Muskrat 3 @ $15 (should have been 7 @ $15)
Muskrat 20 @ $11 (this is what i'm confused about, what should the prices be between xxl and xl? Looks like he lumped some together)
Muskrat 5 @ $7
Muskrat 3 @ $3
$10 average on rats

Bottom line..If they would spend a little more time with the trappers and explaine what this 17" rat is worh $15 and this 17" rat is worh $11 i think that they would have a more loyal following which would increase their buisness.
All and all i am satisfied with the prices, sure i may have made more sending to Auction but the cash is already in my hand!)

#3517062 - 12/28/12 01:11 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
hippie Offline
trapper

now that's a good post!!
thanks capac

#3517077 - 12/28/12 01:18 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Huntgod Offline
trapper

Ok hippie, just because I said it was a grab and go,does not mean I don't know my sizes. So,here ya go,BEFORE I sell. 90% of my rats are all large(13"-14") and above with about equal percentage of xl(14"-15.5") and 2xl(15.5-17") in the mix. 3xl(over 17") are of course a smaller percentage.

Measurements taken from tip of nose to the shortest side of the skirt.

Enough said?

Edited by Huntgod (12/28/12 01:19 PM)

#3517087 - 12/28/12 01:24 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Huntgod]
hippie Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Huntgod
Ok hippie, just because I said it was a grab and go,does not mean I don't know my sizes. So,here ya go,BEFORE I sell. 90% of my rats are all large(13"-14") and above with about equal percentage of xl(14"-15.5") and 2xl(15.5-17") in the mix. 3xl(over 17") are of course a smaller percentage.

Measurements taken from tip of nose to the shortest side of the skirt.

Enough said?

you bet!
as you must know, it makes a heck of a difference what your sellin. not?
and i want to thank you as well for the detailed info, helps guys like me who want to ship.

#3517127 - 12/28/12 01:49 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: garman]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
It was one instance but it was a bad experience for this person and he has made his decision for the future. Those that try to down play his experience by relating no issues don't take away what happened to one individual. During the rush of grading, buying and check writing at these stops alot of adrenalin gets flowing by all involved. If these types of experiences and selling do not meet your expectations then there are many options if one chooses to research them. I have never ever called the buyers at the auction to cuss them out for their low prices nor have I ever had one call me and tell me how poor my fur was etc. etc. I like the idea of dozens of buyers bidding on my fur to raise prices than one buyer trying to get fur at the lowest price he can, which is the capitalist way. The auction allows all to bid. I don't see ranch fur owners driving around showing their much more valuable fur to several individual buyers trying to get prices so that tells me they have found the auctions to serve them better.

Bryce

#3517170 - 12/28/12 02:08 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
hippie Offline
trapper

good post bryce, he's probably better off where he has no say in what he does.

i've never sold to this buyer, but understand he has several buyers he services just like the auctions do. this particular guy(logan) added one option to his fur sale by going there first, then not selling and rolling the dice on an auction. problem was, they didn't communicate good enough to give him his 13th buyer looking at his furs.

#3517184 - 12/28/12 02:16 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Huntgod your going to be sorry I called and said that you were my trapping partner. You are so screwed. LOL

#3517185 - 12/28/12 02:16 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Huntgod]
ndtrapper5 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
How much do you gain on average from measuring a rat on the carcass from tip of nose to base of tail to measuring it when it is skinned and stretched?

#3517438 - 12/28/12 04:28 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: ndtrapper5]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
I caught a rat today that was 14 inches long nose to tail on the carcass it is a 17 inch 2xxl easy on the rat board. I don't know about the smaller ones. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a couple more.

Bryce

#3517458 - 12/28/12 04:37 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
PAskinner Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
Don't they grade on fur quality along with size? Or maybe there isn't time for that?

There are flat female rats just like there are flat female coon.

Then there is the big rats who have 5 holes in the back from bites...

Just because a rat is 17" doesn't mean it is a top price rat.

Writing down all the sizes and doing your own grading ahead of time makes sense.

#3517534 - 12/28/12 05:04 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
dirty trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Ionia,Michigan
i sold to "guy" on the 26th in michigan. 106 rats 15.00,80 rats 11.00,20 rats 7.00 {1 kit, rest damaged}. he said 12.64 avg you happy with that? and yes i am. a guy in front of me had 20 or so 10-12 inch rats got 5.00 each and whined... ......bottom line..... from my experience good quality fur with proper put up demands a fair price everyone knows it, it is what it is.

#3517630 - 12/28/12 05:41 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
logan Offline
trapper

Not the fact of the price he gave, but that I told him I wanted them back and he never gave them to me.

#3517779 - 12/28/12 06:40 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Huntgod Offline
trapper

As promised,the results of my sale to Groeny. 37 rats@ $14, 70 rats@$10, 44 rats@ $7,and 9 rats@ $3 for an average of $9.70.

Now before anyone jumps in and says I sold too cheap,these were not Wisconsin rats. They are Dakota rats and not quite as good a rat as a few places. I was happy with that for an average.

Another nice surprise was the coyotes. I sold 20 green skinned for a $48.75 average. High was $60 and a low of $35. Was happy with that as well.

Beav,George did mention that you had called but he said, and I quote,"I knew you were smarter than to partner up with him"......LOL Nice try though.

Edited by Huntgod (12/28/12 06:40 PM)

#3517911 - 12/28/12 07:18 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Nittany Lion Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: logan
Rats 15, 11, 7, 3 coons 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 7, 5, 2. Are all the prices I heard last night.

Why not sell the coon that you were offered $20 and up and take the rest home?

#3518195 - 12/28/12 08:37 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Mark, you sod too cheap and I know what kinda rat you have.

Same as mine

#3518212 - 12/28/12 08:43 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Looks like I will have to find a new partner when I go to SC. LOl

Why not sell the coon that you were offered $20 and up and take the rest home?

Lion that won't happen with groney. You sell It all or none at all. Those realy aren't $20.00 coon they are just window dressing.

#3518296 - 12/28/12 09:10 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: The Beav]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: The Beav
Looks like I will have to find a new partner when I go to SC. LOl

dont look at me I'm not going.

#3518472 - 12/28/12 09:59 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Well you do fit the profile. A size 44 shirt and a size 4 hat. But your welcome to go. LOL

#3518480 - 12/28/12 10:02 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Huntgod Offline
trapper

Steven, I may have sold too cheap,but,I needed the money to go to SC. Can you imagine the nerve of the Beav to expect me to pay 1/2 the expenses?....lol

#3518493 - 12/28/12 10:07 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Minnesota
Half the expences?? I thought he would pay your half and give you a tip to boot.
Tom

#3518510 - 12/28/12 10:10 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Huntgod Offline
trapper

Tom...He did the same thing this last summer. He said I could go to Alaska with him but wanted me to buy my own airline ticket. What the heck is going on?

#3518642 - 12/28/12 11:04 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

I'm furnishing the traps the 5 star accommodations the beaver trapping knowledge the keys to several first class hunt clubs the hot chicks and I'm doing the skinning. What more do you expect out of me. Hunt god does have to drive though.
And we are going to sell to groney when we get back.

#3518654 - 12/28/12 11:08 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Bogmaster Offline

LOL.
Tom

#3518733 - 12/28/12 11:40 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Huntgod Offline
trapper

This is the first I've heard of the hot chicks and you doing the skinning. I do,however,like the idea.

Now I suppose you expect me to be the front man when we sell to Groeny.

#3519173 - 12/29/12 08:42 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Trapper Opie Offline
trapper

Loc: thumb of michigan, 20 years ol...
i was right next to logan at the kingston fur stop. he threw his coons up first to get a price on them first. if the price was good he was goin to sell all the fur he had so he wouldnt have a little bit to send to nafa. instead Guy gave him the rat avg. Logans reply was " ok what are the coon prices" i didnt hear him say ok ill sell them.when logan asked for the rats back then Guy went off on him. thats a great way to do business!!! i had over 100 coons and 100rats i was thinking about selling that nite but after that i didnt even pull them outta the truck. he lost my business for good also. each time ive went there in the past Guy doesnt seem very friendly. rushes u to sell. what really gets me is he told a fellow trapper in my area he had great looking coon, they didnt look like michigan coon, and the trapper asked is there anything he could do better on these coons for put up.Guy replied " if u did anything better u would be doing them wrong". than i threw my coons up to him and i got less of an avg. on coon than the trapper before. i asked why and he told me they were ugly and they dont have good color. The strange thing is i trap the same exact area as that trapper and he put them up to for me. SO HOW IS MY COON DIFFERENT!!?? seems kinda fishy to me

#3519242 - 12/29/12 09:18 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Huntgod]
WI Coonarse Offline
trapper

Loc: WI, between EauClaire and Supe...
Originally Posted By: Huntgod
I'm taking 160 "gas money" rats to Groenwald this afternoon. Not cherry picked,just a grab and go. Will post an average this evening.

Never had a bad expierience selling to George in the past and don't expect one this time. The last time I sold some rats,we did a nose count as they were running late. I gave George the figure I had in mind for my rats and he beat that figure by .25 a rat. Hate when I get screwed like that.....lol

Wheres groney gonna be around here anyway?

#3519270 - 12/29/12 09:28 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Trapper Opie
Groney has a pre set average he Is going to pay. So at the end of the day he needs to arrive at that average. So If he pays a little high on some fur the next guy will take It In the shorts to make up the difference. Those route guys are experts with the calculator.

#3519271 - 12/29/12 09:29 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Trapper Opie, coon can look different with in the same square mile. I can have everything from good black and silvers, to school bus coon with in the same 5 mile stretch of river. Just luck of the draw.

Now I'm not saying what Guy did was right, but put yourself in his shoes for a minute. He has a long line up of people, and a schedule to keep. Some one throws up his coon and has them graded, than the same with the rats which he says "OK" to the offer, than wants the coon back. He just graded your fur for absolutely nothing and wasted his valuable time. Unless your perfect, don't expect others to be.

#3519273 - 12/29/12 09:31 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Huntgod Offline
trapper

I sold to him in Park Falls. He was also in Superior and Ashland yesterday AM. Go to their website and the schedule is available there.

#3519278 - 12/29/12 09:32 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: The Beav]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Trapper Opie
Groney has a pre set average he Is going to pay. So at the end of the day he needs to arrive at that average. So If he pays a little high on some fur the next guy will take It In the shorts to make up the difference. Those route guys are experts with the calculator.

Beav, I've proven your "average" theory wrong so many times it would make your head spin. Your paid for what you have. Time and time again I've graded my fur, and many others, and EVERY time I'm right in the ball park with NO ave. in mind when I graded.

#3519430 - 12/29/12 10:37 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Trapper Opie]
bawplank Offline
trapper

Loc: south MI
Last year I got mad because I got same average as a guy who started on oct 1 and my coon were all n0v 1 . He had alot more then but mine were easy to see they were better. I helped the other guy throw them up so I handled about 60 of his. After that I was not liking groenwald but this year I look at it like its good to have the option of getting rid of fur quick if wanted. Bottom line look for a local, ship or if you have to meet the truck and sell. Its like the usafoxx deal, theres enough threads about them that you know what could happen and if you deal with them enough it will happen good or bad.

#3519462 - 12/29/12 11:01 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
ou812 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Popcorn anyone???

#3519477 - 12/29/12 11:11 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Trapper Opie Offline
trapper

i wouldnt say luck of the draw. same amount of coon, trapped in the same time frame, at sets a few yards apart from each other. same guy putting up all the coons yet he gets almost 5 dollar more a coon hmmmm??? doesnt seem right

#3519515 - 12/29/12 11:32 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Trapper Opie Offline
trapper

also logan and every fellow trapper have the right to pull any fur they dont get the right price for back. Guy shouldnt be upset about it either. if a trapper knew the avg price of coon he was offering before they got to the window that would be a great help. yes u may not get the exact same avg, but u would kinda know if it was worth putting your coons up in the truck and have Guy take time to grade them. But he doesnt so should he get upset he wasted his time and blame the trapper for pulling back their fur that they worked hard for. GUY is running a business, not everyone is goin to sell and thats the price of doin business

#3519560 - 12/29/12 11:59 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Dave Plueger]
RJ Cooper Offline
trapper

Loc: DELAWARE
Originally Posted By: Dave Plueger
Trapper Opie, coon can look different with in the same square mile. I can have everything from good black and silvers, to school bus coon with in the same 5 mile stretch of river. Just luck of the draw.

Now I'm not saying what Guy did was right, but put yourself in his shoes for a minute. He has a long line up of people, and a schedule to keep. Some one throws up his coon and has them graded, than the same with the rats which he says "OK" to the offer, than wants the coon back. He just graded your fur for absolutely nothing and wasted his valuable time. Unless your perfect, don't expect others to be.

Dave, you are one of the ones on here that when you talk coon, I listen. That being said, your comment on his "giving time" in grading his fur, well many people give free estimates. I am one and it is part of the business.

#3519581 - 12/29/12 12:14 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Jtrapper Offline

Lot's of confusion went on in this whole deal from all party's involved.

Once an average is reached for whatever fur it is, coon, rats, etc. either say ok or no im not selling those for that, then those could of been slid back out to you, then move on to rats or whatever.

I sold for many a year to a traveling country buyer, he graded what you brought him then put them in piles and then told you the price per each in each pile, he didn't average anything up for you, that was up to you to do. And yes he got flustered at me many times through the years for not selling to him but that was part of the deal. Most years he would still get the fur but later one after price's had gone up as he always started the buying season buying low. Still lost his shorts in '87 though!

Had he got all rude as was described in this post id never of sold him another thing though!

#3519598 - 12/29/12 12:24 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

RJ Cooper, as I stated in my post, I never said it was right, but no one is perfect.

Trapper Opie, I have MANY times caught 5-6 coon in a row with in 100 yards of each other, and not a single one would grade the same color as the next. I can tell you for a fact that just because you trapped with in yds of the other trapper doesn't mean you will catch the same quality of coon.

I have no doubt that the same guys that complain because they didn't take the time to show something, would be the same ones who complain because they were late at the next stop.

If the mountain men had complained as much as some on here, they'd have never survived their first winter! LOL

#3519613 - 12/29/12 12:36 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
ratbrain Offline
trapper

WOW!! I have sold to Groenewold Fur for OVER 40 years now and NEVER and I repeat EVER have seen or experienced anything like that at their stops or at Forreston!!!!!!!!!!

#3519616 - 12/29/12 12:38 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
corky Offline
trapper

Loc: Three Lakes,WI 62
As a seller I figure out how much in total I want for my fur before it goes in the truck window. I know what I think my average should be. I don't need the buyer to compute an average for me. If his total isn't close to what I thought was fair then he didn't meet my average and I can walk. What is so hard about this?

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I really thought you already knew.

#3519632 - 12/29/12 12:43 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
TrapperBiff Offline
trapper

Loc: IL--I don't claim chicago
I wouldn't sell Groenwold coon terds. If you can wait on getting paid till the auctions, sell to NAFA, you'll be happy smile

#3519760 - 12/29/12 02:05 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

I go to Groeny knowing darn well I wont get auction prices. To the OP- sorry about your rats.

#3519847 - 12/29/12 03:09 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
CrazyaboutBeaver Offline
trapper

Sounds like somebody needs a group hug.

#3519889 - 12/29/12 03:33 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: TrapperBiff]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: TrapperBiff
I wouldn't sell Groenwold coon terds. If you can wait on getting paid till the auctions, sell to NAFA, you'll be happy smile

Really? It was well documented on here a couple years ago of a guy receiving an offer from Groeny, turned it down and shipped for the NAFA Feb sale, and ended up losing over 2 grand by doing so.

#3519944 - 12/29/12 04:04 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Old man Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon / Wisconsin
And there have been COUNTLESS posts where guys have pulled their fur and made a pocket full of money selling somewhere else.

Edited by Old man (12/29/12 08:42 PM)

#3519985 - 12/29/12 04:29 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
schweg2 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW WI
Sounds like the Groeny I know...crooks

#3520458 - 12/29/12 07:25 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
CrazyaboutBeaver Offline
trapper

My experience with them is if you do a nice job and take him stuff that looks good he will compensate you for it. If you don't then you end up on Trapperman talking BS about them.

#3520476 - 12/29/12 07:32 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Dave Plueger]
TrapperBiff Offline
trapper

Well, I would like to see this article from a couple of years ago I guess. All's I'm saying is from personal experience, I would rather my fur be inspected professionally at the auction house than from inside of a dimly lighted truck. For folks that sell on the cob, he's the only way to go, but if you fully prepare your pelts like I do, you are throwing money away. I have a friend who traps the mississippi river like a banshee, and until he met me, he sold to groenwold. Keep in mind, he catches 250 rats a year, fleshes and stretches them. His last year selling to groenwold (2009)-$6/rat average. I caught 80 rats in 2009, and my average was $9 per rat. Beginning this year, NAFA will take your SKINNED pelts and charge you next to nothing to flesh them. LASTLY: In 2010 I had a Top Lot coon at NAFA's February auction...$120 for that pelt. Groeny don't have no top lots.

#3520610 - 12/29/12 08:07 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Professional grading? That's laughable considering I know guys who sent MS coon from their IA address and they graded as IA northerns. LOL I guess if you consider grading by an address as professional so be it.

Groeny's truck is VERY well lit inside, and their graders know fur as well, or better than any of the NAFA graders.

Schweg2, do enjoy setting yourself up for defamation of character? This is a public site you know. You better have DARN good evidence before publicly labeling some one a crook.

#3520767 - 12/29/12 08:40 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
TrapperBiff Offline
trapper

Dave, who holds Groenwold or any other middle man fur buyer ACCOUNTABLE to the prices they give? I have personally offered coons to them, was told a price, I rejected that price, went back to the truck the next pick up date, offered those same exact furs, and was offered $5 different than the first time. That is some hot garbage. I go to as many trapping conventions that I can every year, and why is it that the ONLY fur prepping demos that are given are by NAFA and Fur Havesters? Groenwold would rather you not give a darn about fur handling. I think I'll start a new thread........

#3520774 - 12/29/12 08:42 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Alpha Backflow Offline
trapper

Loc: Lake Co.IL
You get more after the fha and nafa sales. Because he has to raise his price to not look so bad.

#3520797 - 12/29/12 08:48 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: CrazyaboutBeaver]
bad karma Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted By: CrazyaboutBeaver
My experience with them is if you do a nice job and take him stuff that looks good he will compensate you for it. If you don't then you end up on Trapperman talking BS about them.

Truth there.

#3520821 - 12/29/12 08:53 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Dave Plueger]
pass-thru Offline
trapper

Loc: Va
Schweg2, do enjoy setting yourself up for defamation of character? This is a public site you know. You better have DARN good evidence before publicly labeling some one a crook.

You mean the same guy who wouldn't give somebody their rats back is going to scream defamation of character when somebody else calls them a crook crazy It can't be defamation if it's true.

#3520851 - 12/29/12 09:02 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

TrapperBiff, Fur prices can adjust daily, some times hourly.

Not give a darn about fur handling? Are you kidding me? So your saying he would rather buy poor handled fur and junk? PLEASE! That has to be on of the more comical statements I've ever heard on here. LOL

You have a short memory black flow. Who took it in the shorts on rats at NAFA just a few short years ago, and who was DARN happy they sold there rats earlier to Groeny. Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the wind shield. LOL

#3520904 - 12/29/12 09:18 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
mike2396 Offline
trapper

Loc: New York
I obviously dont sell to this guy, cause im east of you guys who sell to him. But, if a fur buyer treats you like that since your not going back anyway tear him a new one. that isn't right at all. shoulda grabbed your fur and left its your stuff he basically stole it right in front of you.

Edited by mike12703 (12/29/12 09:19 PM)

#3520910 - 12/29/12 09:21 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

How did he steal it when he said OK to the rat offer? He never agreed to the coon offer and thus his coon were returned.

#3520924 - 12/29/12 09:25 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
longrangekilla Offline
trapper

Loc: On the Sugar River, Wisconsin
Groenewold is known for crap like this. They are not reputable. I learned this lesson 20 years ago the same way you learned it.. Don't listen to Plueger. He would stick up for Groenewold no matter what he did, and as for that idiot Buckne, well he just likes to argue because he has no life. Sorry this happened to you, but spread the word and maybe you can help keep it from happening to someone else.

#3520932 - 12/29/12 09:26 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
yooperratter Offline
trapper

Loc: Baraga County, MI
I've sold to Groeny for years, both George and Guy. Both men have been good to deal with. This year, I mailed them some rats to get some early ching and sold the rest when they stopped in my area Dec. 12. Between the shipped rats and ones I sold at the stop, I got about an $8.14 average, on 270 rats. That included kits, damaged, early, the whole ball of wax. I was a happy trapper. Could I have gotten more at the auctions? Maybe, maybe not. One needs to remember North Bay gets 11% comission, so I would have had to get over 9 bucks average, overall, to do as well. I also sold 2 mink theat got $25 each and 4 green skinned beavers that got prices of 30, 10, 10, and 10.

When I look at it, was it worth paddling the canoe around the lake with my boys for 3 1/2 weeks or so and getting over $2300 bucks for my "trouble"? Yes, most assuredly. I love a "hobby" that pays me to enjoy it! smile

#3520954 - 12/29/12 09:33 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Dave Plueger]
mike2396 Offline
trapper

He meant "OK" as in he understands what the rat average is. A bill of sale was never written up so how were they sold?

#3520967 - 12/29/12 09:39 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Where I come from, If I offer a set amount to some one and they say OK, its understood that they have agreed to my offer.

#3520989 - 12/29/12 09:46 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
mike2396 Offline
trapper

even if so, legally that wouldn't hold up. No receipt, no history of sale that = stolen.

#3520997 - 12/29/12 09:48 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

He was PAID for the rats! I would imagine that constitutes a proof of sale.

#3521006 - 12/29/12 09:51 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
mike2396 Offline
trapper

obviously he was paid or he wouldn't have left the place. I mean since no receipt was written prior and the buyer just automatically claimed the furs off of verbal confirmation that don't mean crap legally.

#3521027 - 12/29/12 09:56 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

They don't write receipts prior to issuing the check, and they have always operated buy telling you what they will offer, and seller saying "OK" to the offer, or "NO" to the offer.

#3521032 - 12/29/12 09:58 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Longrangekilla, someone yank your chain, cupcake? You see me disagree with the guy who started this thread?

Like I said, drunks and morons, and it is Saturday night.

#3521037 - 12/29/12 10:01 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Your right killa. They've been in business for over 50 years, and are the top buyer of raw, wild fur in the world, and they aren't reputable. LOL

#3521038 - 12/29/12 10:01 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
mike2396 Offline
trapper

with the fur buyer i go to, he wouldn't tell me he wont give them back. if i change my mind and he didn't pay me he wont say "no there mine".

#3521045 - 12/29/12 10:04 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
TrapperBiff Offline
trapper

Plueger, you can't be this dense. Find me a class that Groenwold teaches on how to properly handle fur. There isn't one. They would rather buy fur on the carcass. If you knew anything about fur handling, you'd know that the cuts when skinning an animal are pretty important. I don't mind arguing with you, this is kind funny. So many people sell to Groenwold because he's convenient and writes you a check right now. Look outside the box. Fur prices changing by the hour?....,that's more garbage. Are they selling their pelts on eBay?

#3521048 - 12/29/12 10:05 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Been a lot of stories on this forum over the years about Guy being rude and hard to deal with. They can't all be lies.

#3521065 - 12/29/12 10:13 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Think about it Biff. There is a TON of over head processing carcass or in the grease. Why do you think they pay so well for finished goods? Opening cuts that important? Groeny splits EVERY coon right up the belly, and zip ties them back together for the stretcher. Groeny put on ALL the fur handling demos at the trappers college for several years. Just the fact that you don't realize how fast markets can change tells me you know VERY little about the fur industry, and Groeny in general. They are in DIRECT contact with all world out lets on a DAILY basis!

#3521074 - 12/29/12 10:16 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: BuckNE]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Been a lot of stories on this forum over the years about Guy being rude and hard to deal with. They can't all be lies.

Bingo.

Dave if/when old man Groenwold has a prostate exam I cant hardly believe there is room for the camera what with you being in the way.

#3521076 - 12/29/12 10:17 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

www.gfwco.com Look under "care of pelts" and show me where they prefer carcass goods. In fact it clearly states. CARCASS FUR IS DISCOUNTED.

#3521080 - 12/29/12 10:18 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

I had to chuckle at that one Steven! Good stuff.

#3521096 - 12/29/12 10:29 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
TrapperBiff Offline
trapper

Here's all I need to know. 10+ years ago, I sold a ton to Groenwold, and barely paid for gas. Started selling to nafa, and it's cha-Ching all the way to the bank every auction. Markets change, but from year to year to speak of. but when you've got 500+ buyers coming from Asia and Europe to buy fur that has been prepared properly, we'll that's why I get $36 for 3xl-4xl coons every time the last 8 years. Go ahead and keep making Groenwold their money. I've got 80 rats ready for the January auction, I'll let you know what I get.

#3521103 - 12/29/12 10:33 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

All that may be true, except the number of buyers. NAFA advertises 350, 400, or 500 buyers at the auction, but those are mostly there for the ranched mink. Greg, who worked for NAFA for years, came in here one time and said that typically there were about 80 at the wild fur auction.

#3521112 - 12/29/12 10:40 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

If groney had been born In the 1800S he would have been driving around In a wagon selling snake oil. I bet some of his relations started out that way. So I guess he's just doing what comes naturaly. LOL

The problem with groney Is most of you have NO other options and he has you over a barrel.
Back In the day groney was pretty small potatoes around here. We had 6 or 8 buyers around the area and groney just couldn't compeat.

#3521121 - 12/29/12 10:49 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
bearclaw Offline
trapper

All I got to say is someone tell this groney fella to come to Kansas and buy so I can decide if he's a crook or a straight shooter myself instead of listen to all of you bicker back and forth about it.

#3521122 - 12/29/12 10:52 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

Send him some fur. Theyll give you prices and if you dont like them, they will eat the postage to send them back to you.

#3521124 - 12/29/12 10:54 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
bearclaw Offline
trapper

Let me rephrase that...come to Kansas and buy my green fur.

#3521128 - 12/29/12 10:57 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Groa Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Alaska
I sent some marten to groney once and only once. He offered me an average of just under $40 so I told them to send them back. I shipped to NAFA and averaged over 2x what he offered. I won't bother wasting my time or theirs anymore, they won't see any of my furs ever again.

#3521137 - 12/29/12 11:03 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

40!?!?!?! Alaskan marten are about 80-100 arent they?

#3521138 - 12/29/12 11:04 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

Ive never sent them anything, was just saying that they did it.

#3521269 - 12/30/12 01:18 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
trapperne Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Nebraska
bearclaw, not sure were you are in kansas, but I will be making a run across kansas tommorow along hiway 36

#3521570 - 12/30/12 09:23 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: trapperne]
Big Possum Offline
trapper

Not being reputable is one of the biggest lines of BS I have heard on here and there are a bunch. As Dave said you don't stay in business for 50 years by not being reputable. Started selling rats to Grant when i was a kid about 45 years ago and have sold to them for most of the next 45 years. Have always be satisfied with what I have gotten. Sometimes I have beat the auction prices and some times they beat mine but that is with mostly green fur. As Dave said earlier when the market is red hot the auctions look great. Its when someone throws a bucket of ice water on the market when auctions can really hurt you and having already sold is great. I think it was only about 3 or 4 years ago that NAFA dumped all thier coyotes for next to nothing. It wasn't that long ago when rats took the nosedive. I wasn't at the truck so can't say what happened. Maybe it was just a bad day. I said before that if I set in that truck all day and had to look at some of the crap that people put in that window I would be in a sour mood. ( I am not saying your fur was bad so don't take it that way) that being said you have the right to never sell to them again. Thats one of the great things about America. We have choices. Groenewolds is one of those choices and you can choose not to use them just as I choose to use them. There are people on here that got burned by the auctions and won't send to them anymore. Choice is a great thing.
Joe

#3521608 - 12/30/12 09:44 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Guy screwed me out of 1,200.00 one time.

He called me asking for my coon. I think we had around 400. He Offered $13.00 nose count over the phone. Sent Mike up to get them. Loaded the coon I asked for the check. No check guy will send It. 5 days later no check guy won't return my calls. When he finally did, he said the best he could do was $10.00. I said no deal. I want them back. Can't do that he says they have been processed.
The biggest problem with this whole deal Is I called several other trappers letting them know the deal I was offered. It's those guys that took the real bath.
Yes I should have known better when mike didn't write the check. But you should be able to take a man at his word.

Second case.

Guy calls my buddy telling him he can give us a $14.00 nose count on Dec caught green skinned coon. These were really nice late winter coon, I think we had around 80. He even tells us he will throw In some gas money If we come. We had just sold him a bunch of coon 2 weeks ago. We show up tell him how many we have. He then starts grading out the hides he ends up with 5 piles. We start taking the hides back and loading them Back In the truck. Guy, What's going on? We tell him the deal was a $14.00 nose count. He says I'll give you $20.00 for these 30 hides. I told him he could stick It where the sun don't shine. We also didn't get any gas money and do you know why. He said the last time I bought fur from you I paid you for two more hides then what you told me you had. I think that was just a out right lie on his part.If groney makes a mistake on the count It's going to be his favor not yours.

In my opinion Guy Is not a man of his word.
So if you think I have a hard on for groney you can see why. I will not be screwed 3 times.

#3521840 - 12/30/12 11:40 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Dave Plueger]
Splicer Offline
trapper

Loc: Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
[quote=Dave Plueger]Professional grading? That's laughable considering I know guys who sent MS coon from their IA address and they graded as IA northerns. LOL I guess if you consider grading by an address as professional so be it.

Dave - I stay out of these, but I think you have enough experience to know that fur can be from anywhere, but with good feed and genetics you would never know where they lived. Yes, I've have northern semi heavies from a southern state, they were beautiful color compared to some of my WI coon. Did they all look great, or course not.

#3521910 - 12/30/12 12:16 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Dave Plueger]
Jim T. Offline
trapper

Loc: N E Ohio
DAVE, iF Groenwold is the top buyer in the world why does he sell fur at NAFA?

#3522397 - 12/30/12 05:03 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Dave Plueger]
longrangekilla Offline
trapper

Loc: On the Sugar River, Wisconsin
Your right killa. They've been in business for over 50 years, and are the top buyer of raw, wild fur in the world, and they aren't reputable. LOL

The "top buyer of raw fur in the world" Wow. You really are delusional.

Buck, your just an idiot. At least Plueger is a trapper.

#3522448 - 12/30/12 05:22 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

longrangekilla, go back and play on the kids' forum. You might impress them.

#3523289 - 12/30/12 09:56 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Trapper Opie Offline
trapper

dave- when a trapper says ok to an average it doesnt mean a sale especially after logan put his coon in the window 1st and than asked for the coon avg. first and was not given it. but was given the rats avg. first. and all these 1st time sellers to him say "ok" for an avg. like logan did, Guy just asumes he has bought their fur when the sellers might think its not a final sale untill everything is graded and asked if they want to sell for these prices... also Guy should keep all fur from each trapper that was graded separate untill the deal is final(check in the trappers hand)!!! than there wouldnt be any confusion to either party involved on if their selling,what price, or how many furs they had. just like in stores if a cashier is handed a big bill u set it on the register untill the cashier hands the change back so there isnt any confusion from the customer on what bill they gave the cashier. GUY will never get my business again!!! after he called logan a lier several times, shoved the coons back out the window at him, Guy also continued to lie to logan about not being able to do anything cause the check was being printed, yet the check wasnt in the process of being printed and than forced the check out the window! that there is not good business at all. to me its out right being rude!! and i was just a fellow trapper next in line. Which i didnt even bother letting Guy see any of my fur

#3523313 - 12/30/12 10:10 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Jim T.]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Jim T.
DAVE, iF Groenwold is the top buyer in the world why does he sell fur at NAFA?

He doesn't, he BUYS at NAFA. I know for a fact he buys thousands of coyotes at NAFA. Was also at their place once when a semi load of assorted furs pulled in just purchased at NAFA.

#3523323 - 12/30/12 10:14 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

It was your prerogative to not offer your fur opie. An option you will never get with NAFA.

#3523348 - 12/30/12 10:23 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

killa, it clearly states on the web site that they carry the largest inventory of wild fur in the world. www.gfwco.com
Got any proof that their wrong?

#3523354 - 12/30/12 10:25 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Trapper Opie Offline
trapper

why would u want that option from nafa??? u get the best market price for each fur you take them at the time not have your fur suddenly become .50 cents or $1 more when you tell Groenewold i dont wanta sell at a certin price

#3523397 - 12/30/12 10:51 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
michael_obrien Offline
trapper

groney has to sell cheaper so he can keep his #1 cheerleader Plueger paid off. this is almost getting silly the lengths you are willing to go to defend ANYTHING they do over there. There is no way he doesnt add on a but kissing tax when you sell.

i have no dog in this fight but i will flat out bet ANYTHING there isnt one person on this site that will say that Dan or Jason Weibke ever pulled any crap like that rat scam Guy did. just because you utter the two letters o and k doesnt mean anything. where i come from Dave deals are done on handshakes. if he had said ok and they shook hands, then fine done deal. but to say ok what about the coons, thats still a negotiation if you ask me. as a sales manager for over 6 years i sat in on and conducted hundreds of sales meetings, and had any of my guys acted like guy they would have been fired that day. you rarely hear of anyone come on here and talk about guy like he is a great fella, in fact ive never seen it. if it smells like a turd, looks like a turd, and acts like a turd well then it might just be guy. there are too many horror stories with them.

all you talking about weibke not being near you, they accept shipped fur too. give them a chance, you wont be scamed ill guarantee you that. if you are straight with them they will treat you as fair as they can. remember, they like any other business have to make a profit to stay in business.

#3523408 - 12/30/12 10:55 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Right on Dave but when you drop off your fur at NAFA you know the rules. You never know what's going to happen with groney.

Hey Dave you got any proof that they are telling the truth. If you belive every thing you read your more gullible then I thought.

Even good old Dave dosen't have a lot of good to say about Guy.

#3523417 - 12/30/12 11:04 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Bogmaster Offline

Gary--you take that little yellow pill yet?
Tom

#3523422 - 12/30/12 11:08 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
yote trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: wisconsin
I personaly like selling to groeny and has always been good to me. Now I don't agree with what he did to you. But after I asked him once and he gave me that remark I woulda reached up in that window and pulled him right out it. You obviously didn't seem to serious for him to not give you your fur back. For one what's wrong with a 9.50 ave on 13 rats??? Yah they mighta been worth 12 but the mans gota make a check to. I'd sell every rat I had for 9.50. But that's not the point. U wanted em back so u shoulda got them .... But then there's a point where u gota man up and get it back and not come on this web site and cry about not getting it back. JMO

#3523423 - 12/30/12 11:08 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
michael_obrien Offline
trapper

gary thought you said blue pill Tom! hes all fired up now running around thinking about plueger! lol

#3523428 - 12/30/12 11:13 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Bogmaster Offline

Michael,he knows what I am talking about--LOL.
Tom

#3523439 - 12/30/12 11:26 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Plunger lives In his own little world LOL

I don't need any pills LOl I just go out In the shed and work on some more fur. LOL

#3523442 - 12/30/12 11:28 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
michael_obrien Offline
trapper

lol careful you dont nick that teat on the beam!

#3523656 - 12/31/12 05:24 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Skyraptor Offline
trapper

Loc: Stevens Point, Wisconsin-51
Never had a single problem with Groenewold for years and in fact he takes time to praise how I handle my furs compared to other sellers and he also takes the time to explain anything else I need to do to make my furs any better. Have always walked away happy with my check and the way I was treated.

#3523672 - 12/31/12 05:41 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
hippie Offline
trapper

gonna find out here in a short while, i'm gonna send him some rats and mink.

#3524016 - 12/31/12 10:11 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Trapper Opie Offline
trapper

yote trapper- he did try getting his rats back. all he could do is argue back and forth. kinda hard to fight threw a small window. and 9.50 is not a good avg. to me especially if u avg. over $12 on 150 rats from nafa the year before

#3524134 - 12/31/12 11:07 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

To be fair you can't compare last years averages to this years averages. It just dosen't work that way.

#3524241 - 12/31/12 12:01 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: The Beav]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Right on Dave but when you drop off your fur at NAFA you know the rules. You never know what's going to happen with groney.

Hey Dave you got any proof that they are telling the truth. If you belive every thing you read your more gullible then I thought.

Even good old Dave dosen't have a lot of good to say about Guy.

Your absolutely right beav. Of course Grant and the boys would set themselves up for false advertising. What was I thinking.

By the way, I heard NAFA gives you a bonus for every post. Those pills must not be cheap. LOL

#3524284 - 12/31/12 12:17 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Michael, I thought Minnesotans had better reading skills. Early on in this thread I CLEARLY stated that what Guy did was NOT RIGHT. Are your comprehension skills that weak that you interpret that as defending?

When I see fallacies posted, I am compelled to respond from my own experiences. If that is defined as defending than I plead GUILTY!

I do the same with democrats and antis and ain't about to change.

#3524316 - 12/31/12 12:36 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
The Beav Offline
trapper

killa, it clearly states on the web site that they carry the largest inventory of wild fur in the world. www.gfwco.com
Got any proof that their wrong?

The invetory thing may be true Dave but what has that got to do with how much wild fur is being sold? Invetory In a nut shell means things In STOCK. Heck I could fill my shelves with nuts and bolts year after year and not sell any for 20 years and I could say my invetory was the biggest In the world. And would that be false advertising?

NAFA Is In the buiness of moving fur not stock piling It as Invetory. Well some times It's stock piled LOL

#3524572 - 12/31/12 03:04 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Beav, it also states on their site that they are the largest direct receiver of raw fur.

#3524579 - 12/31/12 03:06 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
tmrschessie Offline

Dave, why don't they have a route though southern Nebraska and northern Kansas? You might ask them. Tom

#3524582 - 12/31/12 03:07 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Buzzard Offline
Tman Awards Chairman

Loc: Hells 10 1/2 acre, N Carolina
same deal.......anoother year

#3524586 - 12/31/12 03:09 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

One reason is distance Tom. That's a long way to drive with green fur in a hot truck. I believe they do have smaller straw buyers who purchase fur with their money in those regions though.

#3524588 - 12/31/12 03:10 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Buzzard]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Buzzard
same deal.......anoother year

I know, ain't it fun buzzy! grin

#3524594 - 12/31/12 03:12 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: tmrschessie]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Originally Posted By: tmrschessie
Dave, why don't they have a route though southern Nebraska and northern Kansas? You might ask them. Tom

They have a buyer in Palmyra. He is listed on their website.

#3524618 - 12/31/12 03:22 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: BuckNE]
tmrschessie Offline

Where is that at Buck???

#3524628 - 12/31/12 03:25 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Jtrapper Offline

That's a long way to drive with green fur in a hot truck.

They never heard of refrigrated trucks? Good thing milk supplier's don't think like them, lol.

#3524648 - 12/31/12 03:30 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: tmrschessie]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Where is that at Buck???

About 15 or 20 miles southeast of Lincoln on Highway 2. Open every day, except Sun I think, and pays truck prices.

#3524685 - 12/31/12 03:43 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

And your paying DEARLY for that milk aren't you J!

Refrigerated trucks would just add more to the already enormous over head.

#3524687 - 12/31/12 03:44 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Jtrapper Offline

Im lactose intolerant, lol.

#3525133 - 12/31/12 06:36 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Lugnut Offline
trapper

Loc: Berks County Pa.
It sounds like what occurred might have been simple miscommunication.

Logan asked for an average on coon, Guy gave him an average on muskrat. Logan said, "okay, what about the raccoons?"

Maybe Guy took that "okay" as a confirmation of the sale while Logan was simply acknowledging that he understood the rat average and wanted to know the raccoon average?

Maybe we've had five pages over a simple miscommunication?

#3525163 - 12/31/12 06:48 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: Lugnut]
CountryMile Offline
trapper

Loc: Ithaca,Michigan
Originally Posted By: Lugnut
It sounds like what occurred might have been simple miscommunication.

Logan asked for an average on coon, guy gave him an average on muskrat. Logan said, "okay, what about the raccoons?"

Maybe Guy took that "okay" as a confirmation of the sale while Logan was simply acknowledging that he understood the rat average and wanted to know the raccoon average?

Maybe we've had five pages over a simple miscommunication?

Finally someone summed it up. But wait there is more Guy then went on to argue with Logan about giving him his hides back then called Logan a liar more than once. This being confirmed by an eyewitness! Many folks have seen this same behavior out of Guy more than a couple times in the past. I have witnessed it myself. Guy Groenwald is a real piece of work. That is the bottom line here.

#3525176 - 12/31/12 06:51 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
MJM Offline
trapper

You would think to keep a good name they would have given the rats back even if they thought they had bought them. It was 13 rats, was it going to make or break them? I guess their name ment less then the profit they will make.

#3632393 - 02/12/13 05:09 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
CountryMile Offline
trapper

Loc: Ithaca,Michigan
I guess that ended that. What say you Dave P ?

#3632424 - 02/12/13 05:49 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Giardiasis Offline
trapper

Loc: North Wisconsin
Much the same has happened with me and several others around the area at the truck with them. They lost my business 4 years ago over it. Hostile, abrasive attituid, acting like he is doing me the worlds biggest favour buying my fur while under bidding it. Sure you don't have to be my buddy or anything, but I can do without the attituid. Two years ago I took a shot and went to him with some fur I didn't have time to send to NAFA. To make this short he wouldn't make a offer, wanting me to tell him what I needed for it all. Then wouldn't pay me, and wouldn't give the fur back...argument, and when i got my fur back as I walked I watched several others who were waiting pick up their fur and walk too. His attituid was awful that day, and I will NOT go back ever. I'll either have it tanned, store it until it gets to NAFA, or I'll let it rot before I sell to him

#3632497 - 02/12/13 07:09 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
twc Offline
trapper

Loc: indiana
I pulled 516 coons out on grony 2yrs ago!! drove them up there 7hrs away. they went through all other fur first and made me a decent offer and I took it! then shot me a $7.oo avg. on my coon I said I would take $12.00 he said $8.oo no deal!!! sold to another big buyer for a $16.25 avg. and so the story of this fur thang we do goes!!LOL I would have just said if we cant come to an agreement on the coon Im not selling my rats either and then if he didnt give them back he would have came through the window just like the coon did! hehe.

#3632920 - 02/12/13 11:31 AM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Kre Offline
trapper

Loc: USA-WI
I see a couple people finally got out of bed...bump for them.

#3632988 - 02/12/13 12:18 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Iowa
i haven't had any trouble with Groenewold in the last 30 yrs.

#3633089 - 02/12/13 01:18 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: CountryMile]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: CountryMile
I guess that ended that. What say you Dave P ?

Like I said before, there are 2 sides to every story.

I sure am glad our judicial system operates differently than the way some on here hang a guy with out due process.

I'll just give in to all the groeny bashers. Your all right, groeny cheats, steals, and robs you in hopes you will never offer your fur to them again.

Yep, that makes all the sense in the world. LOL

#3633120 - 02/12/13 01:33 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
muskratman69 Offline
trapper

Loc: northern ill
iI TURN IN 227 RATS AND 113 WERE UNSKINED I ASKED HIM FOR THE PRICE ON THE UNSKIN ONES AND HE SAID HE HAD IT THERE SO I ASKED AGAIN BEFORE I PUT MY OTHER RATS THAT WER ALL PUT UP AND HE SHOWED ME THE PRICE I SAID I WHANTED THEM BACK AND WOULD SKIN THEM AND HE TOLD ME NO HE ALREADDY PUT THEM IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK. THEN I TOLD HIM I WOULDN'T SELL ANYMORE MORE TO HIM. HE GAVE ME MY CHECK WITH ONLY 102 RATS ON THE CHECK I TOLD HIM AND HE SAID THATS WHAT I COUNTED NEVER AGAIN

#3633161 - 02/12/13 02:00 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
whitetail freak Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
wow what a jerk, makes me think twice about selling my furs to them now..
1/15 coon
0/5 beaver
0/6 fox
1/24 coyotes
1/1 wolf

#3633173 - 02/12/13 02:04 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: whitetail freak]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: whitetail freak
wow what a jerk, makes me think twice about selling my furs to them now..

And you've heard groeny's side?

#3633179 - 02/12/13 02:09 PM Re: Groenewold lost my business tonight!!! [Re: logan]
RJ Cooper Offline
trapper

Loc: DELAWARE
Hey, is Groeney on AngiesList? LOL

The public is so entertaining.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >