Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3459542 - 12/04/12 03:39 AM Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT
tightlywound1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fort Wainwright/ North Pole AK
Ok I ahve been doing some research and learned alot so far. The only thing i don't have figured out so far is wether to get the Skandic or Tundra. I am trying to decied between the Tundra LT and the Skandic WT or Skandic SWT.

I am going to get the 600 ACE engine.

The tundra is lighter by over 100 pounds but does the loss of the 4 to 8 inches of width and the extra length make up for this. I fear as a new guy just learning of not being able to recover the bigger machine from getting stuck. I have been reading alot of reviews on here and dootalk and am looking for some expirence with both to let me know what you fellows that have been doing this for a while have expirenced. I will be living in the Fairbanks area and dont plan on going far my first year out but eventually i would like to be able to ride out quite a ways and just enjoy the time out in the woods. Another thing i was wondering is how hard is it to put the second seat on the Skandic after you have taken it off and used it for trapping. That way the wife could ride with me for fun too.

So I guess I am just asking for some help in deciding between either the Skandic WT or Skandic SWT or the Tundra LT.

Thanks for all the help with all my questions.

#3459581 - 12/04/12 05:48 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
AKHowler Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks Alaska
I have a 2012 Scandic WT with the 600 ace. Love it and it's a beast. I wouldn't get a WT or SWT unless you were goin to be doin alot of frieghting. I have 20 yrs experience on WT's and love them but the tundra is alot more fun to explore and adventure on. WT's are a whole different animal to ride but once ya get used to them, they are a tool to be reconed with. I will be buying a Tundra 600 ace to add to the herd. They are a neat workable machine.

#3459691 - 12/04/12 07:49 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
tightlywound1 Offline
trapper

I know i will be up there for at least 3 years and hopefully i can retire up there how much more can the skandic wt pull compared to the tundra? I am looking towards trapping but also hauling wood with it and who knows what else. I was really looking at the Tundras then started looking at the other one and got to wondering about it so i figured i would ask on here.

I think as a guy just starting out and from what your saying the tundra would be better suited for myself and what i plan on doing?

#3459731 - 12/04/12 08:16 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
I agree the new tundras or the 440 skandics if you can find one down south. There's a ton of sleds out there that'll do the job you're wanting to do. many of these guys are hauling cabins, groomers, cargo sleds etc. realistically whats your plans.

I love my 550 rideability the motor reliabitly, not so much. I think the extreme is waaay to much money...and the ace without the pull start is not worth taking the chance imho as I am alone most of the time (hunting, trapping, fishing). Many wont have the issue but when you do, and you're alone you're walking out on a perfectly good sled.

I havent put he skins on my tundra, havent needed them yet. I do need to cover the front vent with some skin though. Thinking about sealing up the air box (cheap design).

You know how I feel.....moving up, you should be able to find a good sled cheap and drag it along. Save yourself a ton of money in the process! get a year/two under your belt and decide what what you want to run. The nice part is the amount of traveling you're doing to get here there's a lot of sleds between Ks to Banks. even if it needed a little monkey wrenching (you'll have a few months before winter sets in), you'll save yourself big time!

My 700 crossfire was a pulling machine, but not quite the sled I wanted to run through brush with. My old m 7 would go anywhere I wanted too...and places I didnt, but wasnt practicle, though its a fun ride in hills!!!

Another thing I'd add is a predator rifle and trapping rifle/pistol. I could use a predator calling partner! Running at night alone can be a little TOO much fun LOL!

#3459792 - 12/04/12 09:07 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
I don't know about Wainwright but I know Elmendorf has a for sale lot for guys that are being deployed or DROS to elsewhere. There are usually some toys in the lot without much time on them. Is there someone in FAI that could look there for you ? Or maybe a phone call to your opposite number in FAI ? Might save some $$

#3459837 - 12/04/12 09:51 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: white17]
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Interior Alaska
Originally Posted By: white17
I don't know about Wainwright but I know Elmendorf has a for sale lot for guys that are being deployed or DROS to elsewhere. There are usually some toys in the lot without much time on them. Is there someone in FAI that could look there for you ? Or maybe a phone call to your opposite number in FAI ? Might save some $$
There is a "lemon lot" on Ft Wainwright. It is open year round now. I havent seen anything suitable for trapping on there lately.

#3459882 - 12/04/12 10:27 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: EurekaTrapper]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

Loc: Circle, Alaska
Well it really depends on the terrain you will be trapping, I use a bravo and its all I need so why spend $10,000 on something that I really don't need or trust to start? The swt is a beast and mainly for hauling really heavey loads and so is the wt but it does handle deep snow well so if your going to be trapping in flat country ( no sidehilling ) with deep snow a widetrack is good but if your going to be sidehilling and weaving through tight trails and some deep snow then a longtrack is better and really more versatile then the widetracks. Until they come out with a midsize 4stroke machine with back-up starting option ( pull start ) and starts reliably at -30 then I'll be running my bravos!!!

- Thomas Jefferson

#3459981 - 12/04/12 11:33 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Between those choices, I would go with the WT...

I have one.. and it is awesome... it will climb the mtns in the spring bear hunting, it will go 76 mph down the trail if you want to ride it, and I can put it in low gear and tow 1000 lbs easily with it...

the weight is a non-issue. they dont get stuck. it is that simple... they are easier to ride, especially in deep snow.... they are stable, not tippy and like I said wont get stuck.

sidehilling in the spring is the only downfall....

sidehilling in soft snow is not. the trail and twist argument doesnt fit either. they drive almost as good as a short track would on the trail.

they are a comfortable machine to ride. they are easy to ride as well....( if you want to go playing in the powder or hill climbing it takes alot more body english than a regular machine does, it isn't made for that, but it can be done easily.)

the SWT i would argue would be more of a workhorse, and if you have short legs, it will be uncomofrtable to ride.... that said, they dont get stuck ever.... if you get it stuck, you did something very wrong.....

So, IMO, unless you are going to be a high mark mtn hound, run the iron dog or run the machine in very little or no snow conditions, I would hands down get the wide track...

#3460003 - 12/04/12 11:44 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: Hupurest]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

Never get stuck? lol, I've pulled a few guys out that were stuck with wide tracks. If you get a wide track stuck you are definately stuck and better have a rope-along or someone else to pull you out.

- Thomas Jefferson

#3460018 - 12/04/12 12:03 PM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
cachecreekkid your wasting your time. Enjoy your Bravo and the extra money and let the experts alone.

#3460029 - 12/04/12 12:17 PM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
tightlywound1 Offline
trapper

Ok im 6'2" and 200 so definatley not short.

White17 thanks completely forgot about the Lemon Lot. I

I am looking down here for a sled and going to haul it up there if i find a good deal if not then I have a few other things on the palte that take precedence over a new toy.

Ok so i don't plan on hauling alot of super heavy loads. Mainly just trapping and firewood. so Hup is suggesting the WT and made several good points and others are suggesting the Tundra. When I get back home I will have to take a trip somewhere and try out a couple and see how i fit and what i like. I deffinatley want the pullstart backup. Is that an option or standard equipment?

#3460032 - 12/04/12 12:20 PM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
tightlywound1 Offline
trapper

I might just have to wait till i get up there and talk to some people in person about this. Oh another thing when it the ATA meeting held I will be up there end of july and want to make it to the meeting.

#3460044 - 12/04/12 12:27 PM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: Birchcreekkid]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: cachecreekkid
Never get stuck? lol, I've pulled a few guys out that were stuck with wide tracks. If you get a wide track stuck you are definately stuck and better have a rope-along or someone else to pull you out.

and i saw two of those fancy 4" of water jet boats stuck on sand bars on the yukon...

I said if you get it stuck you did something wrong....

if you know how to ride a machine you should not be getting a super wide or a wide track stuck...plain and simple.

I too have helped unstick a super wide. twice... once was in overflow when the guy STOPPED.... and tried to go again...
the other was when driving through a break in an old beaver dam and the machine fell through the ice into the creek....

I got my wide strack stuck twice... once I looped a willow around a ski while hunting ptarmigan in a nasty willow patch i shouldnt have driven through... i chopped tree and drove off...
the second time, i ran out of breaking area and ended up tangled in some spruce trees..... a few minutes with a saw, and away I went...

#3460087 - 12/04/12 12:56 PM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: Hupurest]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

In his first post he says he's a newbie to snogo's so maybe a widetrack isn't the best choice since he'll be learning to ride and not have the experience to not get it stuck? The 600 ace does not have a back up pull start so if your battery dies your SOL but I hear some guys carry a portable jumper pack just in case and maybe a few sterno cans in case it freezes up on you overnight.

- Thomas Jefferson

#3460235 - 12/04/12 02:29 PM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: Birchcreekkid]
Mainiac Offline
trapper

Loc: Princeton, Maine
I have posted some of these before. Here are some pics of my WT stuck. I know how to drive one also but sometimes the conditions are just terrible. I loved my WT but not as much as I love my expo sport now!

Shouldnt have slowed down here!

Just too much snow!

This is a SWT passing me going up a ridge while i was stuck with my WT. He never got stuck that day with the SWT but we did get it stuck the day after. Getting it going again was a job!

#3460261 - 12/04/12 02:42 PM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
aknome Offline
trapper

Loc: Nome AK
Expedition with 600 etec. Pull start can be added.

#3460626 - 12/04/12 06:00 PM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
AKscott Offline
trapper

Loc: north pole, AK
For ease of riding go with the wt, the tundra will be more maneuverable but that is due to the narrow ski stance so it takes more body English to keep yourself upright, I run the ol Skandic lt 440f and love it but they are tuff to come by now.

#3460959 - 12/04/12 07:45 PM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

pull start...is etech or 550 and I dont know if the wides/swt come in a 550? Either way I wouldnt buy another one (550) and the etech is going to run you what 12 bills plus now?

we also pulled out a super wide on a winter moose hunt two years ago...all 4 of us!!! What a royal PITB!

forgot to add, where you'll LIKELY be trapping anyways, you wont be seeing that kind of snow...atleast not likely It happens every so often. Right now we've got a couple inches, ridings been painful to both sled and person! A few feet is more normal (compact sugar snow not that heavy stuff the southern boys are used too).

Edited by Tradbow1 (12/04/12 07:49 PM)

#3461970 - 12/05/12 08:39 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
WI Coonarse Offline
trapper

Loc: WI, between EauClaire and Supe...
My dad has a tundra we beaver trap with in NW WI, not Alaska I know, but...SHe's never let us down. Pops up on plane in deep snow, backs out of tight spots, hauls an XL otter sled full of firewood no problem. Easy to start, easy to flood too though, make sure you carry a NEW spare plug and wrench!

Oh and congrats on your AK assignment! I did 20 years, never could get stationed there. A good friend of mine now runs the recruiting station in Soldotna.

Edited by WI Coonarse (12/05/12 08:42 AM)

#3466310 - 12/07/12 12:03 AM Re: Tundra LT or Skandic WT or Skandic SWT [Re: tightlywound1]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

theres a couple 16yr old tundras for top end 4500 cherry. Still blows my mind what people want for stuff up here. lol! Makes a guy double take when you see how fast they sell on top of it! If you can find one it'd be a great sled if its not been abused. they are 136" tracks but you dont need a platoon full of P&V either to unstick it. It'll do what you want, super light weight. has enough power to get the job done and would be a good backup sled if you decide to buy something else. I really need to snatch another one for backup or taking people out calling/ice fishing or just screwing off.

Edited by Tradbow1 (12/07/12 12:05 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >