Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3438609 - 11/22/12 06:06 PM Victor Rat Traps for Ermine and Red Squirrel
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
This is the trigger many of us use here in BC. They are available from Gord's Supplies, Prince George BC, phone 250 962 7767. I make up my own. It makes a trigger that has to be pulled to release it. The bar that holds the trap set has to be cut off to be exactly the right length to release with just a light pull on the bait.

This system selectively positions the ermine or red squirrel for a strike right behind the head.

The bait holder is a tiny stainless nail and a hole is drilled to put it through the plastic. The plastic is the same as what is used in bread boards. A small eye screw is used to hold the trigger.

Many types of bait will work well. For me a small cube of beaver liver (1/2 ") with a couple of drops of aniseed oil. I cut the cube up, put them in a plastic dish with a lid, and add some aniseed. Use direct from the container as needed. Keep frozen. A peanut in the shell can be placed over the top of the liver for better attraction to red squirrels. You now have a deadly combination for ermine and red squirrels.

Here is a picture of the trigger set up.

Here is the trap set in a box.

Here is a box I have made with a removable chloroplast front door. It is easily slid up if an ermine or red squirrel is frozen in the hole.

NAFA Trapper Consultant

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

#3438617 - 11/22/12 06:10 PM Re: Victor Rat Traps for Ermine and Red Squirrel [Re: trapper ron]
conibearguy Offline
trapper

Loc: Randolph, NE
Very neat set-up!

#3438661 - 11/22/12 06:29 PM Re: Victor Rat Traps for Ermine and Red Squirrel [Re: conibearguy]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

Loc: Circle, Alaska
seems like alot of work to catch a squirrel, I just wire the rat trap to the base of a tree with the pan about 8" off the ground and it gets them behind the head every time

- Thomas Jefferson

#3438725 - 11/22/12 07:01 PM Re: Victor Rat Traps for Ermine and Red Squirrel [Re: trapper ron]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Loc: Yukon
Anybody snare them anymore? I used to make my spending money snaring red squirrels. Cheap but very effective.

#3438763 - 11/22/12 07:16 PM Re: Victor Rat Traps for Ermine and Red Squirrel [Re: trapper ron]
TheFurTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Interesting set up. How ever it seems just a rat trap in a box with the big yellow pan works fine.
Even if not caught right behind ears there isn't any pelt damage.

#3438851 - 11/22/12 07:58 PM Re: Victor Rat Traps for Ermine and Red Squirrel [Re: Birchcreekkid]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
We have a regulation that it has to be inclosed with a maximum size measurement for the hole.

I far prefer to snare squirrels also and have an article on snaring the western red squirrel in the archives.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...irr#Post1126006
NAFA Trapper Consultant

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."