Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3344655 - 09/28/12 09:49 PM Floating Mink Box
gibb Offline
trapper

Loc: North Bay Ontario

Finished with the marten boxes and started on some floating mink boxes.
Tried them last year and had some success. Plan to run a bunch more this year.
Cheers Jim

#3344692 - 09/28/12 10:11 PM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
Maxwell Offline
trapper

Loc: Lake Co, IL
neat idea. Do you bait them?

#3344811 - 09/29/12 12:56 AM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
humptulips Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington State
A fella here in WA used to use a lot of floating mink boxes. He always took a lot of mink. He left it open though and set a trap at each end. He told me he started using them when possum first showed up in WA so he could avoid them. He caught about everything you can think of in them though. Besides mink, rats, coon, nutria, even beaver and otter.

#3344936 - 09/29/12 07:36 AM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: humptulips]
gibb Offline
trapper

Used them last season on a limited bases, ran 8 boxes for 5 days caught 3 mink, I want someting quick and simple and fast to layout on the trapline. I had problems with the bait last year falling out of the box so modified the box to make a bait compartment.
5 days 8 mink in boxes was not bad. 3 in the new box style and 5 in regular boxes. I do not like the regular boxes because the old 120 have a lot of poor catches.
I used 1/2 inch hareware cloth to make a seperation so the bait is now locked in place.

I plan to give it a good run this fall. we also have a short window of open water in the Timmins area. Maybe 2 weeks before freeze up.
Jim

#3345003 - 09/29/12 09:06 AM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
Thirdwind Offline
trapper

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
We use them here to keep the Marten out since their endangered here on the island. Heard of only one instance where someone caught a marten in it while the were testing them.

#3345056 - 09/29/12 10:12 AM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
TheFurTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
I didn't think these would work super great. I had seen them on the FHA site but never thought to really try them.

#3345090 - 09/29/12 10:49 AM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: TheFurTrapper]
gibb Offline
trapper

Fresh fish, for me is the ticket.

I read the report on the testing of this box for mink trapping on the Island, last year I made up a few boxes and had trouble with the bait coming loose and falling out. This year want to try a good bunch, trapping parts of a river and should have room for 60 sets.
Last year it was a last minute thing and only had 5 days with 8 boxes and the wrong trap, this year I want to be prepared with everything set, load the boat to the top and just plunck the sets in.
Always in a big hurry to catch beaver and never take the time to set much for mink. This year I have a plan.
Besides I rather skin a mink than a beaver anyways.
Jim

#3345455 - 09/29/12 05:57 PM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
Good luck, I hope you have great success!

I wonder how salted bullheads or something like that would work.

#3345492 - 09/29/12 06:28 PM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
I'd nail them to a tree and catch $100 marten. If I'm mink trapping, I'm not marten trapping. If I'm skinning $25 mink I'm not marten trapping. When mink reach $60 averages then I'm a mink and marten trapper. smile

Note to self: If I'm blithering on T-man during trapping season, I'm not marten trapping. I gotta remember to throw myself off here at the beginning of November again. wink

Edited by Dirt (09/29/12 06:47 PM)

#3345979 - 09/30/12 02:51 AM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
So that was the hidden reason Dirt. Self inflicted self control.
I am thinking that marten trapping might not be the early option mink is for Gibb. Is that right? It doesn't look like marten trapping weather. Save them for when the snow flies.

Edited by Family Trapper (09/30/12 02:52 AM)

#3346308 - 09/30/12 10:14 AM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: Family Trapper]
gibb Offline
trapper

I can start for mink in mid Oct. reason I plan on setting ahead of my marten season. Our season opens on the 15th of Oct. I like to start about the 20th.
Have about 2 weeks to play with the mink and beaver before marten trapping.
Jim

#3346356 - 09/30/12 10:55 AM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: Family Trapper]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
So that was the hidden reason Dirt. Self inflicted self control.
I am thinking that marten trapping might not be the early option mink is for Gibb. Is that right? It doesn't look like marten trapping weather. Save them for when the snow flies.

Marten and mink same season here. FT your in charge of reminding me if I get on here from November 10 to January 31, I'm not marten trapping. Although,I don't think there are going to be many marten to trap this year here.

#3346435 - 09/30/12 11:54 AM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
newhouse114 Online   content
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
Dirt, were you in Skwentna during the floods of the fall of '82 (or '83). I was about 30 miles up the west fork of the Yentna at the time.

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index

#3346527 - 09/30/12 01:05 PM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

Nope ! I heard it used to be good moose hunting up there. frown

#3346604 - 09/30/12 02:25 PM Re: Floating Mink Box [Re: gibb]
newhouse114 Online   content
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
There were moose up there alright! If you are familiar with the valley up there, it is about 2 miles across and FLAT, nothing but gravel bars and little trickles of water that you can wade anyplace. Now imagine that valley bank to bank full of water about 10 feet deep. Only took 19 straight days of rain (well over 20 inches) to do that. The Big Su ate a lot of planes that moose season. My first year as an assistant guide, what an initiation!

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index