Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3331930 - 09/20/12 10:34 PM Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs"
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
Here is another thread that got LOST somehow!

Started by LT Grey in Feb. of 2009.
There will be a few missing photo's but still a GREAT thread !

LT GREY
There have been some good post here on "Strictly Trapping Only on snaring, so I thought I would pose the question of how many snaremen set up "pass throughs" or "jump throughs", where a coyote jumps through or over a low place in a fence.
I recently have caught several coyotes that way where they were jumping over low places...had I not tracked them in the snow, I would not have even know where they were coming through...but as luck would have it, the tracks told the story and I was able to take both coyotes with a pefect neck catch in 1x19-1/16th using a Slim lock. It took a little "fencing",(excuse the pun) with some fallen limbs but this peticular fence went into a wooded area, and it appeared natural..or so I tried to make it. After a little over a week, both snares connected. I think maybe the coyotes were a little spooked by the placed limbs...but maybe not as limbs do fall all the time during winter storms and high wind. I did my best to make it appear natural without being over crowded. Sometimes with snare blocking, LESS is MoRE! Perhaps they just were somewhere else. Regardless, it payed off and with a short tie off, the coyotes were both D.O.A.
I would be good to hear from others who have used this technique.

braswell 38

Do you ever try to catch them by the feet or accidentaly catch them by a foot

LT GREY

I try to neck snare them but yes, I have caught them by one or two feet, as a coyote jumps forward with it's feet out in front.

braswell 38

Do you find that coyotes tend to frequent any certain fence crossings? Have you ever successfully created a fence crossing high or low? Thanks for the info on this and why they avoid snares.

LT GREY

Yes, like all furbearers, coyotes tend to pass through, over and under fences at several "favorite" spots. These spots can be made of course, although I don't reccomend altering fences with livestock in them.
A simple method of cutting a small hole in the bottom strand of woven wire or digging out a 8" go-under and hoeing out a trail on each side will often do the trick. Try to make these in low places where the water natuarlly drains. Most fields have these and animal naturally follow and use these anyway!

Again, don't mess cutting livestock fences but a go-under will work well here and miss the livestock.*

(* Be careful around spring lambs)

braswell 38

Thank you. I'm sure I'll come up with more later. We have about 99.9% barbwire fences out here so I guess I'll look for the brushy spots and tracks. The snow is almost all gone here and the mud freezes pretty solid in the evening so tracks are getting few and far between.

Thanks again.

LT GREY

Barbwire can be awlful mean on a furbearer!
Do what I do in that situation...set-up your snare on a slidewire w/ a 1/2" rebar tangle stake at the end!

braswell 38

have you ever used a drag with a snare?

GLEN

I have snared for more than 35 years I will set crawl unders,overs between or anything else. There is not a situation that I can't set anymore. When most are setting home cause the ground is frozen I'm taking super prime fur, cable up!

braswell 38

Thanks LT and Glen everything helps.The more ideas I get this year will certainly help next year.

LT GREY

Glen! You got that right!

Snares on drags are illegal here in Ohio yes, can be done using dead timber! I've done it elsewhere.

braswell 38

Not to use a drag because the ground is froze. Just to get them away from the barbedwire

whitfield

braswell that polar bear seems like he's on a drag. LOL

braswell 38

he's draging the iceberg my snare was tied to. LOL

LT GREY

ahhh, a man after me' own heart! Ha!

braswell 38

That's why I get on every thread you do on snaring LT.Want to learn from a real snareman.

LT GREY

Man, I'm still learnin' after 30 years of hangin' hoops!

Cattrax

LT I used to snare spots like that, but in the country Im in I catch way to many deer and antelope crawling under the fences too, so it has to be pretty choked down before I will ever use that on a fence, its a good place, but some parts of the country its just not a good idea and you get to many nontargets.

Just the way it is here and how I feel.

aprophet

"Barbwire can be awlful mean on a furbearer!
Do what I do in that situation...set-up your snare on a slidewire w/ a 1/2" rebar tangle stake at the end"

kina like a dry drowner??
I have used them in the past just to hide a critter that I caught close to the road.

LT GREY

Dry drowner....
Never heard it put that way but yeah, that's it!

Drakej

The slide wire technique also saves set area from being ripped up and can most often be reset multipule times. I use it alot in places that I feel are good for multipule catches year after year. Short snare on 8-10" slide. I do use oversize grapples when setting in cattails. When wrapped around a clump it is the same as being staked - they go nowhere.

LT GREY

Really good point there, Drakej !

James H.

Did it this past year with good success,5 in 4 spots on one fenceline.2 crawlunders and 2 where they were hoping through the middle of the fence.All necked and 4 out of the 5 DOA.The one must have just been caught cause the "bomb"hadn't gone off at the site.James

LT GREY

At times you will run across a fenceline where animals are passing through but the fence is worn down from time and/or abuse.
Coyote snared in old fences will quite often damage them.

To block this type of set-up often takes a lot of time, brush and is often hard for it to look natural without it looking too "man made."
I have noticed that if blocking appears unnatural, coyotes will go around it or avoid it altogether.

The best way, I've found to do it is to to cut off a piece of woven wire fence and "ring" it right onto the old fence wire. I then cut a hole where the animals have naturally been passing through.

This of course is done during early pre-season to get the animals using it again.
I also throw in some light cut brush to help blend it in...time of course will be your best friend with that.
Animals see fence mending all the time.

While they may back off a while, they will eventually start using it again and once season opens you can set your snares in the narrow opening.
I would much prefer to have my snare fastened onto an 8 ft. 1/8th" slide (drowner) cable than fasten it onto the fence. This gets the animal away from the area, (well 8 ft. any way) and leaves the pass through open and not torn up.
Not always possible though!

LT GREY

Here is a prime example of the above post.
Snare is set in the opening, which if you count the squares, is about 14"x 16".
Honey suckle vine helps not only block down naturally but also help camoflauge the lock and snare.

Photo 1

braswell 38

Ok, so it wasn't on a fence, but she did try to jump/pass through it. No such luck though.

And one happy birthday present That you can't get at the store.

Oh ya, that was LT's snare he sent me. It worked ok I guess. Just a little smaller dogs out here.

remrogers

As to using a drag with a snare, it works well to preserve the site for reuse. Keith Gregerson would use old tires for drags in the sagebrush of Montana. As I recall, he said the cats would go about ten feet and the coyotes might make it sixty feet. Biggest problem he seemed to have was with eagles finding the catch and feeding on them before he got the line run.

REM

45/70

"Man, I'm still learnin' after 30 years of hangin' hoops."

That's exactly right! Every day a feller spends on his line w/o learning something is a waste of time & effort!

Waugh!
45/70,

braswell 38

That's my next trapper. We are learning together.

Yes 45/70, if you go a day living without learning something I think you are pretty much done.

LT GREY

This is what often happens with coyotes snares, when foxes pass through a 14" loop...

Photo 2

LT GREY

Leg caught, for those that missed it!

LT GREY

Picture of a "perfect" pass through location, where coyotes were jumping through a woven wire fence.
You may notice that the fenceline is covered with honeysuckle vine, which makes for a perfect blending job on this 5/64th cable.
Snare staked off and lightly fasten to the barb wire.

Photo 3

LT GREY

Location that takes about a dozen fox and coyote a year.
A trail through a fenceline leading to a bait station.

LT GREY

Red male coyote on a "jump through".
Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

LT GREY

Here is the set-up that caught the above coyote.

There is a snare set here, even though it blends in quite well.

LT GREY

Anyone have any similar pictures of this type or similar set-up?

LT Grey

This is an actual snare set in a fence-pass through. Do yoiu see the loop? Lock? It's there.

LT Grey

hctapper

Awesome post! LT in the above pic there how do you have that staked, is it on a "dry drowner" or what?

LT GREY

Tie off high on fence stake!

LT Grey

Close up of above photo. If ypu look for the Cam lock, you will see the snare, otherwise, it blends in.
( Bottom square of fence.)

Denny Emery

LT, have you ever put a snare on a slider cable to get it off the trail

LT GREY

All the time, Denny!
This one has that set-up to avoid destroying the set area.

Hal Sullivan makes the best 1/8th" sliders w/ an ajustable end. IMO
They are what I use anyway!

I bought him out last year at a reginal convention.

LT Grey

Notice how these snares will blend in using this honeysuckle vine.

braswell 38

Todays Choke Down. Caught him by the right front and neck in a 7" loop. Don't really know how, but he's dead and that's what counts.

martenpine

Man Rich that looks like some heavy cover in there. How the heck did you even crawl in there to set it up? LOL. Looks like your figuring out the new country pretty well

braswell 38

That's just where he died. Nice 4 ft. trail just to the left of the tree he is wrapped up on.

LT GREY

braswell,
Is that coyote rubbed bad or just plain muddy?

braswell 38

Wet. We had a heavy frost that night.

braswell 38

I think he tried to jump it.

LT GREY

Foot snared?
Can't tell from photo.

braswell 38

Yep, he's holding his foot out and asking kindly if I could remove this dang thing.

LT GREY

...and you did, after you shot it, right?

braswell 38

You got it.

braswell 38

Just trying to get a drink and now look what you got yourself into!

LT GREY

Nice entanglement!

LT Grey

Notice how high this snare is set!

LT GREY

Coyotes will often jump through a broken down old fence several feet in the air!

LT Grey

Coyotes can really damage an older fence line.

Caution should be used when fastening your snares to it.

LT Grey

...and here's the re-make, complete with a snare set, ready for another catch!

( ...is that good, or what! )

LT GREY

I normally have these snares on slide wires, as it saves a lot of time repairing fences.

LT GREY

1/8th " are best, but a 3/32nd will work as well!

Livetrap

LT, when you have grass or vines around a hole in a fence, does it matter which side of the cover you place the snare? Providing you have a good idea of which way the animal will be traveling. I worry about the grass or vines interfering with the speed or effectiveness of the lock. Am I crazy?

LT GREY

no,
yes!

Livetrap

I figured I was crazy.

LT GREY

Always good to be right!

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3332010 - 09/21/12 12:00 AM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

LT Grey

LT GREY

D.O.A. coyote in a 1x19-1/16th snare with a Micro lock(above).

LT Grey

LT GREY

Red coyote (above) not a fox

Jamz

Thank you LT its funny how when I saw your pictures it reminded me of a place I call at that has a perfect funnel for them and a couple of days ago they were in the field chewing on a deer hide from muzzeloader season. The only thing I dont want to do is mess up a good spot for trapping them without getting as much info as possible I definately dont want to educate them any more their tough enough to call let alone trap. Thanks

Jamz

Also when hanging snare on fence or pass how do you hang it so it trips no matter what way their coming from. A small stick so they pull it over when they hit it or what.

LT GREY

No, the snare sits on it's own support. What part of Ohio are you from?

LT Grey

LT GREY

Halter broke coyote in an Wisconsin legal cable restraint.(ABOVE)

Jamz

Southeastern just below Zanesville Oh,sorry if I am asking dumb questions but I dont know squat about snares

DblTap

I have been snarring coyotes on a very large chain link fence line for the past three months. I have put a huge dent in the population of the two different packs of coyotes that were frequently going under or through the fenced in area. I have caught six in one spot.I could not believe it because I read so much about coyotes not getting snared in the same spot twice.

LT GREY

That shinney snare sure blends in with that chainlink!

DblTap

Yeah I also have some black snares. I use them on the chain link and it works just as good. Some of them I camo up with a few weeds but I don't bother as much now since they are still getting caught without trying to hide the snare. I do use a lot of scent killer on my snares. To me it helps with catching a few with in hours of setting them up.

LT GREY

Scent killer? You're not using that on the snare itself are you?

DblTap

Yes I do. After I set the snare I spray the whole snare down and anything around it that I may have touched. I use Scent Killer 99 but all scent killers are all about the same. I have caught most of my coyotes within 24 hours of setting the snare on a crawl under or a pass though of the fence. The chain link fence makes it easy for me because it makes a fatal funnel for the coyotes that run this area. If they stop using a spot I cover it up and find the new one that is being used and set a snare. Even trapping on some of the trails they use is easier because they are limited on the amount of cover.
I do have to check my traps every 12 hours because of the areas that I am trapping. I don't need a coyote dead or alive to be found by some bleeding heart animal lover. With just two years of shooting and trapping coyotes in this area, has exceeded over 90 kills. Now the feral cat population has jumped up. But thats a new chapter.

LT GREY

DblTap,
How is it I can tell you you are wasting your time and $$$ using that scent killer, without 1) you getting upset with me, because you are successful and/or 2) you either think I don't know what I am talking about...because, well again, you are successful.

What you are doing is COMPLETELY UNNESSASARY.
You will catch the coyotes anyway!

Hunter50

I'd say if what he is doing works for him,why change?

DblTap

I may be wasting time and money but I feel like it helps. I most likely could wear gloves to keep the scent from my hands off the snare. but I have read so much about how good a coyote can scent odors. I figured while hunting I spray all my equipment and clothing down with scent killer and it helps with getting a kill so the coyote didn't wind me. Thats the idea behind it.
Lt Grey you will never have to worry about me getting upset if someone tells me I'm doing something wrong or doing something that is not needed. I like the feedback bad or good. I would not get on a trapping forum if I got my feeling hurt easily. This is a great website and I enjoy getting a chance to brag about my catches and putting my 2 cents in someones elses tool box to be used oneday.

LT GREY

Scent killer HAS an odor...don't let anyone ever tell you it doesn't!

So, explain then why you would want to spray a snare down, which you are trying to conceal?

white17

I wouldn't usually use a scent killer. In fact I never have. But why don't you try half your locations with a scent killer and half without. You may learn something from that. (not saying you need to learn. We all might learn something from it ). The only variable is that one location may be a bit better than another. I'd try to do an objective comparison just for grins.

DblTap

Scent killer may have an odor but it's not the human scent odor. A comparsion is a good idea. I could try that and see what happens and may even suprise myself. I noticed on a few post that people dip the steel traps in all kind of crazy stuff. So I guessed if i put something on my snares to help then hopefully would produce more catches.

white17

I just make sure to clean up my snares with baking soda. Simmer them 30 minutes or so to remove the oil. Some times I will rub paraffin on them too so they slide a bit smoother.

LT GREY

White17's method is a fairly common practice, however those snares are then "aired out" in most cases. The point I making is, DblTap, there's NO NEED for you to have to spray the snare and the area down with something in attemps to kill human odor.

Be assured, I am NOT trying to belittle your methods, only telling you that the practice you are doing is TOTALLY UNNESSASARY. This comes from trapping and snaring in 9 states with over 40 years, 32 of those snaring.
Coyotes are NOT concerned with you having been there.

Did you spray the area that you walked in down?
Did you not think the coyote smelled your trail coming in at some point?
It doesn't matter.
I know many snaremen who set snares bare handed and do well.
I have done it plenty and snared yes, snared plenty of coyotes among other furbearers.

braswell 38

LT I think you might have an odor about you that appeals to those coyotes though.

All I do is paint them in September or so and then I set them come November.

LT GREY

Yeah Rich, never thought of that one !

DblTap

I think a coyote does mind human scent in a area and would make them be more alert and look for something out of place such as a snare. I do not spray the area that I walk in but I do wear rubber boots.

LT GREY

Good point!

Grizzly

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
"Scent killer HAS an odor...don't let anyone ever tell you it doesn't!

So, explain then why you would want to spray a snare down, which you are trying to conceal? "

I look at odor as a scent that is not a normal scent or a danger scent at the spot.

coonhuntingkid

Originally Posted By: white17
"I just make sure to clean up my snares with baking soda. Simmer them 30 minutes or so to remove the oil. Some times I will rub paraffin on them too so they slide a bit smoother."

most of the time the scent killer stuff is just that,
baking soda with water

Diamond-W-

I have been using a pre made set-up. I throw these together at home and all I have to do is pound the stake in the ground, set my loop and I'm good to go. I have only caught coons, fox, and field lions with it but am sure it would hold a yote no problem.

Photo 1

Photo 2

In most places I use a 2x2, but I have a few spots where this willow blends better.

Just drill 3 holes use 1 for the snare, I use my trap ID tag as a washer so I can get some swivel, the other 2 holes I double back my support wire and I'm up and running.

LT GREY

Should have put that one under: Crude but Effective!

LT GREY

No swivel/ How much fur damge you have with that set-up?

ForrestŪ

I would think that with the cable running thru the log it would swivel just the same or better than a wire swivel.. Maybe put a washer in front of the stop?

Diamond-W-

So far no fur damage..... the trap tag acts as the washer and it swivels much better than any other set-up I have used. LT.... ha ha, I would have listed them under crude but effective but I did't want to take away your spotlight on the page...... I'm sure I saw your picture there

I pound them in pretty far so they dont get hung up on the post.

LT GREY
Ha ! You ain't takin' my spotlight away....I don't want be in one.
I'm just sharing ideas with trappers...

coonhuntingkid

If I am out at "this spot" anytime soon I'll be sure to take a picture of the fence pass through I plan on snaring this winter

LT GREY

Looking forward to it, kid. They sure have worked well for me !

Drew 33

"Barbwire can be awlful mean on a furbearer!
Do what I do in that situation...set-up your snare on a slidewire w/ a 1/2" rebar tangle stake at the end! "

X2, I sell live market and a coyote that can hang up is a dead coyote. At the end of my slide I usually try to leave them a stick to chew on so they don't chew out and instead of using a t-bar i dive completely in the ground. It doesn't always work but it helps. If your snaring with livestock a lot of caution should be taken to avoid livestock and the farmer should know ahead of time that your using snares.

LT GREY

Ever think about using a disposible earth anchor ?

wormbobskey

LT, whats the best way to keep young deer from going through these crawlunders

LT GREY

Block 'em down tight with natural vegetation.

I use Honeysuckle branches cut and natuarally 'planted' in the ground.
I also use wild grape vine and Honeysuckle vine, which by the way, is a different plant than Honeysucke bush!
Since you're in Ohio, these do grow in your areas.
I then take leaves and give it the windsweep look, like they natuarally blew there.
With a little practice, it can be very deadly.

ehd

or the
SLIDER. Lt showed me

LT GREY

A snare jump through up 3 ft. off the ground

LT GREY

Yep, that slider works top notch when you learn how to use it!

wormbobskey

How are you dealing with this wind and rain turning to snow Lt.? Had more than a few snares blown closed today. Me and my buddy spent two days hanging snares on 3 connected cow pastures and all we have connected on was a feral cat. All are good crawl unders and trails with evidence of the coyotes using them by finding fur in the wire. Glad those snares have more patients than I do.

LT GREY

Get your work done and let the weather do it's thing...just wait, it will pay off if you are on location.

On wind, a slight bend in the cable, just before the lock, will take care of snares knocked down by wind.

wormbobskey

Hopeing to have connected on some this morning. Trying to wait a little until the snow plows get through. Thinking on taking my predator call with me and seeing if any are hanging around some cow carcusses. I always set the lock at 11 or 1, but the wind was really howling in those pastures. I'll try that little bend in the cable.

wormbobskey

Well they moved last night like I thought they would. Had one snare knocked down. Had two that connected on coyotes, but one managed to chew the 5/64th 1X19 cable in two. I had the snare anchored about 4 feet off the ground, but the coyote stayed on one side of the fence and chewed the cable apart. I imagine its still wearing the lock as I couldn't find it anywhere. The other coyote did what it was supposed to and was DOA. Looks like young of the year, but has a decent pelt. The one that chewed out was the first coyote that I've had chew out in the last 4 or 5 years. If I had set up a kill pole I beleive that coyote would have come home with me.

nexgen

I took a pretty light colored coyote in a crawlunder for fox this morning, caught him by one paw he must have put his foot through the loop and then tried to back out.

I had my first chew out ever 2 days ago too. When I looked at the set area I realized that I didn't have enough entanglement to wrap him up well enough. Lesson learned.

wormbobskey

That was my problem, not enough entanglement, but I figured he would have gone back through the fence, which he didn't. With the end 4 feet off the ground I really didn't think I needed entanglement.

nexgen

I think my problem was that the snare was too short, I usually make my snares short, then add extensions of heavy wrapped wire in the field, I can cut to length and wrap to a tree. The chew out happened in an elderberry thicket, but the snare and extension missed the adjacent trees by about 6 inches judging by the catch circle.

It's funny, that was a 5/64, 1x19 that I am assuming was a neck catch because of the site it was in, but the one I got this morning by the foot was a 1/16 cable and it wasn't really frayed. Some chew, some don't?

Also my first time using micro locks, I used mostly slims last year, is there much of a difference in how they lock up?

LT GREY

Micro is not a "killing lock'...some of your problem right there!

LT GREY

Here is a 'pass through'...that when you look straight at it, it is hard to see.
Notice how I use natural vines to blend in the snare!

But when I walk up and stand over the snare holding the camara straight down, you then get a closer look at the snare.

LT Grey

LT Grey

makemgooble

There are several places on the farm I'm about to set up that have holes in the fence like this, just bigger holes. How do you keep the deer from getting in your snares?

p barrett

ok now he knows,but dont you think confidence in your set up is important too?if it works for him great.myself i thank you for the info as this is my first year with snares and need all the help i can get.and i am trying to catch otter and cats, 8 and 2 so far and no telling how many i have missed

LT GREY

I would block down the fence with native vegatation or twigs natuarally planted.
A heavy vine or limb horizonally placed will have most deer jumping straight over. I just snared a coyote at this spot before the snow melted, which showed deer tracks jumping over, yet a coyote in the snare. Keep watching and I will post it on You-Tube and then on here next week.

Scroll up a few post and you will see the results of this set-up. Deer blocked off completely...trust me, they'll find another spot! Coyote opening before I set snare.

LT GREY

All this vine was placed by me. Do you see the snare waiting for Mr. Coyote?
Deer will jump right over, while coyote goes through the fence!

LT Grey
Two passes, left and right of the two small cedars.

Jump pole natuarally placed.

LT GREY

Results: By using a long snare extention, I save the location.

Pinebear

Thanks for all this great info. Anyone have any examples or tips on using cable restraints where no entanglement is allowed? Seems like all the best spots for a snare/cr are in funnels of some kind but in Pa. we have to set them out in the middle of nowhere and can only use very light brush to conceal and guide. It's frustrating to have to walk 6' away from a prime funnel and set in a wide open trail. Any help would be appreciated!

wormbobskey

We just pulled out of a farm where we couldn't entice a coyote to work any of our dirt sets, but fortunely there were plenty of crawl unders and we snagged 4 off this farm before moving to the next farm. The weird part was is that just a couple miles down the road we got 4 coyotes in foot traps, but didn't catch any in the snares we had in crawl unders. Now when we move to a new location the first thing we do is walk all the fenses and hang snares in any opening we find that deer aren't using. Once the snares are hung we start setting footholds on sign. Been working so far anyway. Picked up some 1/2" rebar to make kill poles and will be using them on the barbed wire crawl unders in the hopes of keeping the coyotes out of the wire and tearing up their pelts.

makemgooble

Just hung some last night. I built these snares about a week ago, boiled in baking soda and hung outside. They still have some shine to them, but tried to blend them in as best as I could. The 1st pic is far away and the 2nd is a close up. Any suggestions?

Jump Through. I had to block it down quite a bit because of deer.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3332014 - 09/21/12 12:19 AM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

makemgooble

Where they are running the fence line

Crawl Under

Crawl Under

LT GREY

You can still use a slider with cable restraints !

LT GREY

Note slide wire.

RiversNorth13

Let's here some more on slide wire's, another great tool.

Dirtykid

I am going to try a new spot this year (old fence-line next to drainage ditch bordering deep-cover woods and i figured i'd set the snare at critter-level and anchor -back AWAY from fence-line so once they go thru they cant get back near the barbed-wire and it pulls them into the cover where people are less-likely to see them,, I'll post results next-spring

Nate Dawg

Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13
"Let's here some more on slide wire's, another great tool. "

x2

LT GREY

I often use a slide wire when snaring fences.

rockyford

Great posts guys i love watching snared animals exspecially coyotes!! I have a question when you set these up how big is the loop about? And also out barbed wire fences are like 5 strand so would i set it between the bottom 1 and the ground or the bottom 1 and the next 1? I have a few snares i would like to practice with thanks!

hogarth3

How do you set up a slide wire?

LT GREY

Staked on both ends. either with a disposable stake or re-bar....The end away from where they slide can be a short stake...

mifox

"Staked on both ends. either with a disposable stake or re-bar....The end away from where they slide can be a short stake... "

So the slide wire has loops on each end and each loop gets a stake (rerod or cable). The slide wire is stretched out tight before staking? Then the loop end of the snare is attached to the slide wire with a simple "L" lock? Thanks for any clarification. I never used a slide wire before but I can see how it would work great to get the COYOTE away from the set location(fence). Thanks.

MikeTraps2

Ok guys here is the method I discussed last week using the small binder clips to hold the snare to your support wire solidly and using the clips to hold local vegetation for camouflaging the snare.

LT GREY

Mike, what;s the coating on your snares ?

Is that a dip ?

Dye ?

Paint ?

Man, those snares really stand out...

IMO...... You would be much better with a light tan color. They would blend in much better.
Based on my experience, ( been snaring since 1978 ) you have to be getting some refusals......

Ask Scott Rainbolt of TN to show you a picture of his snares in vegetation.....You can't find it !

RiversNorth13

Well that's the original thread trappers ,it was 8 pages long.

Start it up again !

RiversNorth13

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3332285 - 09/21/12 08:27 AM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper

Loc: Woodhull, Illinois 72
Good thread, however most of the sets are illegel in Wisconsin.

#3336487 - 09/23/12 10:51 PM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
Trapper Hart Offline
trapper

Loc: Lincoln/Dunn County, Wisconsin
I got it back to the top shouldn't be lost at all great thread to bad we can't do most of that here in WI

#3337783 - 09/24/12 07:36 PM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Why is that ? Entanglement ?

#3560102 - 01/14/13 11:00 PM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: Trapper Hart]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Jim Bethell
Good thread, however most of the sets are illegel in Wisconsin.

LT GREY from Ohio started this thread and many from all over the country have added on.
Yes there are illegal sets for some states.
Know your laws trappers.

Originally Posted By: Trapper Hart
I got it back to the top shouldn't be lost at all great thread to bad we can't do most of that here in WI

If someone is smarter than me,that can help post it in the original form I have it saved.

This thread was gone off Trapperman's site for a long time.
Found it saved in my trapping folder.

Time to add on again trappers.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3891280 - 07/14/13 05:12 PM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
trapper les Online   content
trapper

Loc: williams,mn
ttt

#3950093 - 08/18/13 08:29 PM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
mousie Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
good information.

#3954967 - 08/21/13 08:57 AM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
Mach2 Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Iowa
"watched" wink

#3955123 - 08/21/13 10:51 AM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: Mach2]
Leftlane Offline
trapper

Loc: Hill Country of Texas
Topic worth saving IMO- great info here
& More money!

#3955147 - 08/21/13 11:12 AM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
mikehunterman Offline
trapper

Loc: Tennessee
You can move a lot of deer up the fence away from where you are snaring if you take out the top wire between two posts so the does jump and move the second and third wire between the next set of posts so you have a little bigger opening for the fawns. Fawns have terrible time with the fences and I have seen them run a half mile trying to find a way to get back to the doe. I have been doing this for years and use it to move deer away from the neighbors and also put them into food plots where I want them to be. If you have real wild cows it might be a problem but mine have never tried to use it to get out. After about a year almost all the deer will use those crossings. If you have an area without cows or one where they are seldom there put in a wire gate and keep it open. In a short time you will have deer, coyotes and everything else using it. A lot of farmers already have spots like that. Give it a try.

#3955720 - 08/21/13 04:11 PM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: mikehunterman]
Leftlane Offline
trapper

Loc: Hill Country of Texas
Great explanation Mike
& More money!

#3956556 - 08/21/13 10:13 PM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
mousie Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
i am proud to say i was taught to snare coyotes and other fur bearers by Lt.grey. his contribution to Trapperman is as good as any ive seen. no doubt it is why his post are viewed by so many. there is more info on here than any book i have read.

#3956567 - 08/21/13 10:17 PM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Amen !

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#4038859 - 10/06/13 10:15 PM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
N R Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
This is a great post. Thanks for saving it. I am wondering if it is possible to use a slide wire on a jump through set? What if the coyote jumps through the wrong way and is on the opposite side of the slide? Could someone please clarify if I am just imagining this set wrong.

#4039386 - 10/07/13 09:48 AM Re: Snaring fence/"jump /pass throughs" [Re: RiversNorth13]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I was taught the art of snaring by a very accomplished trapper. And he showed me that you can place a snare on the top wire of the fence and snare coyotes and fox when they jump over. Of coarse you need the perfect spot for It to work, but It does work.
Heck I've snared fox right on the train track. Ever notice on those frosty mornings when you see those red fox tracks going right down the rail. Would you make a 100 such sets nope but It does work.

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30