Trapper's Humor

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#331970 - 09/12/07 12:24 AM Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue?
BuckNE
Unregistered

Which do you prefer, and do you also paint your bodygrip traps?

#332006 - 09/12/07 02:57 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: ]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
I remember reading somewhere that "blue" wasn't allowed because of its effectivness, or some mumbo jumbo like that. Does color really make that much of a difference?

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#332013 - 09/12/07 05:05 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: Alaskan]
blindhog Offline
trapper

Loc: southwest Arkansas
Light blue and dark blue are equally effective, but I prefer dark blue as it is less likely to been seen by people walking by
my set. White buckets can be spray painted with some type of blue camo pattern to increase effectiveness.

I spray paint new bodygrips with dull primer, I couldn't find it in blue so I used olive drab green.

#332048 - 09/12/07 06:41 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: TexA 68 & going]
Nick C
Unregistered

To achieve a maximum harvest, you should use what I refer to as "Blueberry Blue" paint for your buckets. I thought everyone knew that??

#332052 - 09/12/07 06:51 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: ]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
I've found the dark blue works best as it retains heat better allowing a better liftoff of the jaws from the moss & soil when used as a stepping stone set in a seep as described here a long while ago . . .

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com

#332161 - 09/12/07 08:42 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: Muskrat]
BuckNE
Unregistered

Flat, powder, or glossy? And what do you think about a metallic flake increasing eye appeal to coons?

#332172 - 09/12/07 08:51 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: ]
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper

Loc: Midland, Michigan
Are you guys being serious or just screwing around?

I planned on camoing my buckets (brown/green/etc), but blue is better?

Erik Johnson

#332183 - 09/12/07 09:09 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: Rusty Axe Camp]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
The sparkle factor aids in 'coon attraction, however, I've found the dull matte finish to be best for mink.

This is a topic not to be taken lightly.

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com

#332186 - 09/12/07 09:12 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: Rusty Axe Camp]
Nick C
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

I planned on camoing my buckets (brown/green/etc), but blue is better?

All I'm going to say, is that you don't see 1000 plus coon guys out in the woods without them toting a blue bucket or 2.

#332242 - 09/12/07 10:16 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: ]
Shortline Offline
trapper

Loc: N MN

'Nuff said. Tim

#332330 - 09/12/07 11:53 AM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: Shortline]
offshoretrash Offline
trapper

Loc: Farmerville, La
Dark Blue in the snow and light blue if no snow.

Painting is not as good as the original the critters just seem to know.

#332344 - 09/12/07 12:11 PM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: offshoretrash]
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper

Loc: Midland, Michigan
But it would be advantageous to paint regular white buckets?

Erik Johnson

#332346 - 09/12/07 12:13 PM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: Rusty Axe Camp]
Nick C
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp
But it would be advantageous to paint regular white buckets?

Yes! There is several dealers out there now carrying blue buckets. I've said it before and I'll say it again, You won't find me making a bucket set without the bucket being Blue!

#332347 - 09/12/07 12:14 PM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: offshoretrash]
Grubstake Offline
trapper

Loc: Lotw MN
they work for large predetors too

blue buckets were adapted by a trapper while on safari

ive found this style to be very effective

tim, you better check the regs, i believe the blue bucket has been outlawed here in mn due to non target catches of holsteins and quarter horses.

#332356 - 09/12/07 12:26 PM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: Grubstake]
MnMan Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN, sort of old
Shortline, was that fisher actually caught with that one spring latched? I guess with the blue bucket small details like that can be overlooked and you can still catch 'em!

#332358 - 09/12/07 12:27 PM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: Grubstake]
Browndog Offline
trapper

Loc: Dodge Co., WI
i read on the internet that possum can't see any shade of the blue color spectrum. my grinner catchs dropped after i adopted the blue bucket set. great post... seems to come up every year about this time.

#332366 - 09/12/07 12:41 PM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: MnMan]
Shortline Offline
trapper

Loc: N MN
 Originally Posted By: MnMan
Shortline, was that fisher actually caught with that one spring latched? I guess with the blue bucket small details like that can be overlooked and you can still catch 'em!

The blue bucket was so effective, that I was JUST SETTING the trap and still had one spring set........that danged fisher came in like a storm, knocked me out and dove through the trap trying to get into that bucket....lol.

(Was starting to remove him and remebered my camera, so the pic is mid-removal...)

Tim

#332374 - 09/12/07 12:49 PM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: Shortline]
MnMan Offline
trapper

Nonetheless, those blue buckets are AWESOME!

#332397 - 09/12/07 01:31 PM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: MnMan]
charles
Unregistered

I use dark blue except for full moon, then I use light blue and paint a half moon inside the bucket. I was never successful on full moon nights until I tried this. Learned it from an Indian whose ancesters used conibears in pottery buckets. He said the half moon painted on the inside of the bucket fooled coons into thinking the moon was not yet full, thus the fed better. Works for me.

#332555 - 09/12/07 03:42 PM Re: Blue buckets....light blue or dark blue? [Re: ]
MnMan Offline
trapper

I tried the half-moon idea once by setting my traps in a little brown building with a half-moon on the door. It got to be a little frustrating at times because I would find my traps snapped and filled with used toilet paper much of the time.I think the half moon on the door was placed a little high for coons to see easily (what were they thinking?).I also tried setting a 330 across the hole in the little shelf in that small building with the half moon on the door (figured it had to be some kind of a coon den) but all I caught in that was a couple of hairy wrinkled things that resembled beaver castors. I for the life of me could not figure out what they were so I tried to look up the landowner to ask him but he has not been around lately. I asked around the neighborhood to see what happened to him and I heard he was in the hospital for something so I guess I won't know what I caught for a while. I went back to using the blue bucket on dark nights. I am now working on a template so I can spray paint a half moon inside some of the light blue buckets.If it works for Charles it is sure worth a try!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Drifter