Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3310264 - 09/06/12 09:39 PM trapping winter rats!
ccoyote Offline
trapper

Loc: benton cty, Minnesota
well I was looking in the archives and didnt see nothing about trapping rats in houses or feeder huts. I am bored so thought I would post this to help some beginners out. First off I am no pro at this but I catch a few muskrats like this each winter. I personally try to trap the feeder most because it is too much work to chop into a house but on occasion I do. Once you find your hut/house chop into the side that is smooth rather than the side thats rough looking from cattails. this seems to require the least amount of chopping for me.

once you decide which side to chop into make your hole

then reach your hand inside the hut and feel where the feed bed is sometimes it is very solid and above water and sometimes it is floating and just underwater. I have found that if you take a sample of this feedbed and it has any green vegetation its probably being used way more. If it is very brown then it is probably older and not as productive but may still catch you some rats.In this particular feeder hut it was a floating bed.

Then find a place for your trap I use anythingthing I have #1 to 1.5 longspring, coilspring, jump, or stoploss, my favorite is a jump because it seems to fit better and bed better inside when there is a lack of space. In this picture is a 1.5 coilspring. I ussually keep the pan just below the water surface but i left it up for picture purpose. If the bed is a solid bed (not floating) I beat down just a big enough spot to fit the trap in and just enough to submerge the pan. I have some traps with long chain that I stake outside if I run short chain I stake inside. this way there is enough chain for them to dive and drown.

After setting the trap re wet hut material and replug hole a bunch of snow over the material also helps a ton from keeping the hut from freezing over inside.

When checking I then open the hut up and check to see if the trap is missing if it is i fish around for the chain with my hand and pull up the prize. Just watch out before sticking our hand in the hut live rats WILL BITE. SO DO TRAPS if you forgot where they were and you stick your hand in it. Most of my rats drown however some are alive by the results in this picture

Other tips:

Take your wet rat and put it in the snow then rub it with the snow and it will dry and fluff the fur out this way you can start skinning as soon as you get home.
Using flagging at the huts in low theft areas helps remember which huts are currently set.
Wear gloves rats bite hard!
Be careful rats can and will keep the ice thin around their huts especially early in the year.
HAVE FUN!

Please feel free to add and crituque this as I am not near as experienced as most on here and discussion and other views enhances learning.

Edited by ccoyote (09/06/12 09:41 PM)
Edit Reason: added more

#3310295 - 09/06/12 10:03 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
trappertn Offline
trapper

Loc: Crossville,Tn age:21
Thanks very helpful ill have to try that if i ever find a hut every rat ive found down here are all in the banks ive never found one down here before
Grey's-1/10
Coon-23/15
Rat's-14/20
Beaver-10/15
Mink-1/5
Otter-4/3
Stankies-2/0
Grinners-too many!!!

#3310474 - 09/07/12 02:17 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Thank's for posting this. On the push ups, do they have an entrance exit like a hut, or is it just a frozen dome of cuttings over a feed pile? Also I wonder how 6.5" jaw spread coils would work acting as a sota' body gripper in these situations?

#3310640 - 09/07/12 08:01 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

Loc: SD 16 y/o
I've found 110 s work good in feeder huts too find the hole going in to the water and set it accordingly.

#3311132 - 09/07/12 03:22 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Huntin SD]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Huntin SD
I've found 110 s work good in feeder huts too find the hole going in to the water and set it accordingly.

Could you add a little detail on how your setting your 110's in huts please?

#3311418 - 09/07/12 06:25 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
G-Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: north west missouri
can i get a pic of a bank den thanks.

#3311611 - 09/07/12 08:00 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Huntin SD]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

I have occasionally set 110s in the past sometimes there is only one way the rat comes up in these huts i sometimes set a 110 just under the water surface in the hole leading out of the water to get on the feed bed i only do this when the hole is just barely big enough to set a 110 i ussually dont do this because of hard to stabilize and spring is in the way.

#3311735 - 09/07/12 09:19 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

This is how I do it. I caught 3/4 of my rats last year. I only caught 8 total over 3 nights so take it for what It is worth. Bit this is how I did it. Find 1 Of the holes coming up on the feed bed set your coni facing the hole stake through the spring AND above through the ring outside the hut. I lost 1 rat and trap last year because of not staking above. Cover as usual. A good use for Connie's if limited on footholds. All catches were perfect behind the head catches.

#3312250 - 09/08/12 12:15 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
TheFurTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Your post is a perfect example that rats are different everywhere. Assuming that's a small hut your trapping in those pictures, we never have a feed bed or shelf which ever below water level in houses here. In pushups I like to use 110's. The rat stays in the pushup but you usually get a real good catch.

#3312385 - 09/08/12 02:20 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Otis Offline
trapper

Loc: Watertown, SD
On really big huts, if you want to make sure you dig straight into the chamber, you can poke a rebar post into the hut until it hits water instead of ice, then dig at that spot through the shortest path. I also use the back end of my homemade ice chisel for this.

Just trying to survive in a world full of idiots.

#3313479 - 09/09/12 08:06 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

I'm trying to rap my head around how you guys are staking and stabalizing your #110's in these situations. Any further descriptions would be greatly apreciated. I guess that your using lathes, or similer, pushed into the mud bottom. Is that correct?

I had thought about taking a, 3"X6" X 1/8" metal plate with a coni support welded to it, fastening the trap to it and then placing it in the path tight to the entrance/exit hole. The whole works would have to be conected and then wired to the outside of the hut. Anyone here try anything like what I describe? Anyone have ideas on ways to make a more effcient set up?

#3313619 - 09/09/12 09:40 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
Warmutt, flip that idea upside down.

Because at times in the smaller feeder huts after a catch or two the floor of the hut will be totally gone making it next to impossible to get a solid base to set a foothold on I will use a 110 cony. I have strips of wood cut 3/4" x 1/2" x 36" long, I then take this strip of wood to the table saw and cut out the center leaving the ends solid, my cut is about 20" long. On my cony brackets I weld a small bolt with a wing nut, so now I can mount the cony bracket to the wood by inserting the bolt through the cut and fastening the cony bracket with the wing nut, and by having the ability to slide the bracket on the strip of wood it's adjustable.

To deploy: simply stab one end of the slat into the opposing wall of the hut, adjust for height and plug the hole. You can also bait the trigger if you're not confident that a rat would pass through the cony in the hut.

One thing that must be taken into consideration when deploying cony's in huts is there is the potential that the rat could plug the access hole and freeze the hut up, this is especially true if you're setting the cony over top of the access hole.

This set by no means is my go to hut set but it will keep you catching rats in huts that for whatever reason will not support a foothold.

#3313751 - 09/09/12 11:16 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Warmutt]
208trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: kellogg Idaho
Originally Posted By: Warmutt
Thank's for posting this. On the push ups, do they have an entrance exit like a hut, or is it just a frozen dome of cuttings over a feed pile? Also I wonder how 6.5" jaw spread coils would work acting as a sota' body gripper in these situations?

i know a guy who uses #3's and #4's as a kind of body gripper grabbing the whole rat instead of just one foot

#3313906 - 09/09/12 01:07 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Mn Marshrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Farmland Zone
I too like the feeder huts and smaller huts when winter trapping. The huge huts seem to be more trouble than they are worth when chopping into. Lately, when setting those big huts, i have just taken to using body grippers under the ice with a chunk of carrot, white foam or potato slice on the trigger, set within feet of the hut and in the runway to/from the hut. IMO the feeder huts seem to produce rats longer than most huts.

My trap setup has taken a few face lifts. I went from long chained (3 ft) 1.5 LS to 1.5 CS with about 6" with a swivel and s-hook/spring clip attached to 1.5 ft of cable with a loop on the end. I learned the hard way you don't want the trap setup, from the stake, longer than you can reach. A rat can easily tangle up in the hut and expire or go under the ice and clamp on to cattails or freeze to the ice. We all hate losing 'rats but it's even worse when they are right there. In being able to reach the end of the chain and trap, you can grab the rat and pull him out without yanking/fishing it out. I use 1/2"x6' fiberglass stakes.

I usually probe each hut with a stake or rod. If the inside of the hut is frozen i pass it up. Too hard to keep the water open and the trap operable if the rats aren't visiting regularly. I plug the hole up good and bank with a LOT of snow, a snow shovel comes in handy. I like trap placement in the water of the "landing" rather than on the platform where they sit in the hut, most of the time when i set high and dry the trap is snapped and plugged up. It is probably my favorite time of the trapping season though!

Great thread!
~Robert Frost

#3313939 - 09/09/12 01:43 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Mn Marshrat]
Guadalupie Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Wisconsin
Does anyone have any pics of how the stake/stabilize their 110's? This is all good stuff.

#3314096 - 09/09/12 04:25 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

I just stake with a stick through the spring like in a run

#3314127 - 09/09/12 04:45 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
mainetrapper2011 Offline
trapper

Loc: Androscoggin county, Maine
how do you tell the differance between feeder huts and lodges. wish we could trap them that way but have a 10 foot set back law

fox-1
yote-4
coon-4
stinkers-1
grinners-0
Rats-9
Mink-4
Beaver-1
weasel-0

#3314221 - 09/09/12 05:52 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

The lodges are the big ones and the feeder huts are the small ones. Usually a feeder hut in amongst several hits. They will only be about 6-12 in high in my area.

#3314262 - 09/09/12 06:13 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Kristen Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio, US
Nicely done! Ive always wanted to try this, but the rules are such a grey area here about making holes in muskrat huts that I don't want to jeopardize anything!

#3314378 - 09/09/12 07:07 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Kristen]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted By: Kristen D
Nicely done! Ive always wanted to try this, but the rules are such a grey area here about making holes in muskrat huts that I don't want to jeopardize anything!

I dont see anything in the current regs that prevent messing with the huts..though if things keep going with our muskrat populations that may be an issue soon.

#3314420 - 09/09/12 07:26 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Where were you at the show KD ?

#3314578 - 09/09/12 08:41 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Peskycritter Offline
trapper

Loc: south east michigan
Can't see a reason why you would go inside a house to trap rats . Makes no sense . Why not just use board sets or baited conibears . Just lazy don't wish to chop a hole . You cut into the house your going to just freeze them out or spook them off . Let the fox and coyotes at them . I wouldnt do this ever . If your looking to ruin a good marsh then start cutting into the house . Good board sets will take rat after rat for weeks . Same goes for baited conibears . If this is not legal in your state then make sure it stays that way .

Free Trapper

#3314686 - 09/09/12 09:38 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Peskycritter]
Mn Marshrat Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Can't see a reason why you would go inside a house to trap rats . Makes no sense . Why not just use board sets or baited conibears . Just lazy don't wish to chop a hole . You cut into the house your going to just freeze them out or spook them off . Let the fox and coyotes at them . I wouldnt do this ever . If your looking to ruin a good marsh then start cutting into the house . Good board sets will take rat after rat for weeks . Same goes for baited conibears . If this is not legal in your state then make sure it stays that way .

Tell me, what color is the sky in your world?
~Robert Frost

#3314697 - 09/09/12 09:45 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Peskycritter]
Kristen Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio, US
Originally Posted By: LT GREY

No sir! Did ya miss me? Lol

#3314752 - 09/09/12 10:19 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Peskycritter]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

What is your reasoning
For this? Please explain more as I am new and curious. I didn't think it made a difference.

#3314803 - 09/09/12 11:05 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Peskycritter]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

Please bring your board sets and baited conibears out here, I'd find it very entertaining watching you chop through 24 to 36 inches of ice for each set. If done properly you WILL NOT freeze up a hut, how do I know? because I trapped a slough in December went back in March and set the same huts, they were all open and had rats in them. Spook them? your kidding right? It's a freakin muskrat, one rung up the food chain ladder from a mouse.
In this region of the country it is the only efficient way to harvest muskrats in the dead of winter. You keep your laws I'll keep mine.

Edited by grumley701 (09/09/12 11:26 PM)

#3315445 - 09/10/12 02:06 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Kristen]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Kristen D
Originally Posted By: LT GREY

No sir! Did ya miss me? Lol

well, yeah...

#3315506 - 09/10/12 02:53 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Peskycritter]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

Yeup laziness is right I am not spending all day to set up a marsh in jan/feb to chop through 15 to 30 inches of ice when we cant pre stake runs etc. I can set way more this way with the little time I have. And if you do a good job of repatching the hole it will not freeze! I have yet to see the rat pop decrease because I trap huts in the winter...

I guess however I cant catch rat after rat for "weeks" out of one set though. the most I got was 7. I ussually do not trap this many because I pull traps after I have caught 4-5 rats per House.

#3315599 - 09/10/12 04:27 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Peskycritter]
NorthernOutdoors Online   content
trapper

Loc: Aitkin/Stacy Minnesota. 17 y/o

Laziness? You sir are correct! I'd rather take the easy way trapping rats through the ice. Open up and set the house and I know the rat will step on my pan and get caught and not be exhausted, or get exhausted repeatedly busting through the ice in hopes the muskrat will swim by my baited set and get caught. I don't recall my huts ever freezing on me otherwise I wouldn't set them because my trap would be repeatedly frozen inside if I am not mistaken. I don't recall ever spooking off rats by busting into there huts either, I always seem to have them come back to get in my trap. I also don't recall ruining any of the marshes I trap by doing this.

#3316005 - 09/10/12 08:28 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

What do you guys use to make hole in the huts. I used rebar stake to predrill in there, then continued with a larger post and hammer.

#3316074 - 09/10/12 08:56 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

D-handle tile spade, file sharpened.

#3316493 - 09/11/12 07:09 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

wink

#3316592 - 09/11/12 08:12 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: grumley701]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: grumley701

Because at times in the smaller feeder huts after a catch or two the floor of the hut will be totally gone making it next to impossible to get a solid base to set a foothold on I will use a 110 cony. I have strips of wood cut 3/4" x 1/2" x 36" long, I then take this strip of wood to the table saw and cut out the center leaving the ends solid, my cut is about 20" long. On my cony brackets I weld a small bolt with a wing nut, so now I can mount the cony bracket to the wood by inserting the bolt through the cut and fastening the cony bracket with the wing nut, and by having the ability to slide the bracket on the strip of wood it's adjustable.

To deploy: simply stab one end of the slat into the opposing wall of the hut, adjust for height and plug the hole. You can also bait the trigger if you're not confident that a rat would pass through the cony in the hut.

One thing that must be taken into consideration when deploying cony's in huts is there is the potential that the rat could plug the access hole and freeze the hut up, this is especially true if you're setting the cony over top of the access hole.

This set by no means is my go to hut set but it will keep you catching rats in huts that for whatever reason will not support a foothold.

grumley701, thank you for that explaination. Great idea and clearly described. I intend to give it a try this Winter.

This is growing into a good topic. Even the one negative post encouraged others to add helpful comments. Hopfully others will continue to add their ideas.

#3316852 - 09/11/12 11:43 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

No problem Warmutt, glad to help. As far as the negative post, it really grinds my ax when someone from a totally different region of the country spews his/hers opinion on something they never experienced and know nothing about. How about asking why it's done this way and is there negative reprocussions for trapping this way instead of you're going to wreck the marsh and freeze out muskrats, blah, blah, blah.

Okay, done ranting.

#3316952 - 09/11/12 01:08 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
lyonch Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Minnesota
LOL Grumley - a lot of people don't realize that not every muskrat makes a hut on the marsh in the frozen areas. There are many many many bank rats that make it through the winter without a hut.

#3317065 - 09/11/12 02:40 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
rats4me Offline
trapper

Loc: central mn
All the rats have a spot where their living in the bank or under the bog if they did'nt where would they be the rest of the year when they don't have huts.

Edited by rats4me (09/11/12 02:41 PM)

#3317372 - 09/11/12 05:55 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

lyonch, rats4me, or others, do you guys have any cues for when your finding bank dens under the ice and snow. Last Winter in December the bubble trails were easy for me to find an exploit, but later the melting snow made it too hazy. Anything you guys spot on the bank or in the sound of the ice that tips you off to den sites?

#3318317 - 09/12/12 07:28 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
rats4me Offline
trapper

Loc: central mn
I got nothin for ya Warmutt, when the snow comes I switch tactics while you can probe around with a chisel or clear some snow on early ice to find a few runs it's just not time productive.

#3318355 - 09/12/12 07:57 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Warmutt]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio
lyonch, rats4me, or others, do you guys have any cues for when your finding bank dens under the ice and snow. Last Winter in December the bubble trails were easy for me to find an exploit, but later the melting snow made it too hazy. Anything you guys spot on the bank or in the sound of the ice that tips you off to den sites?

Think your only option is to have them found during scouting and have them marked.

There's always baited conis if the ice is safe enough...

#3318372 - 09/12/12 08:05 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Ringbill5196 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iron Range, Minnesota
New to rat trapping and was looking forward to trying this.However the local rivers are all way down and the only former huts are literally out of the water now. What do rats do in to make it through winter if the water continues that low? I see the mud that was river bottom is loaded with tracks so they are still on the river. Will they migrate to deeper, non-freezing, parts of the river? This would have been a nice pairing with my winter snowmobile 'cat attempts.

Have some property on a 400 acre lake that had 30 huts last fall in a shallow 30 acre bay/backwater. A property owner tore them all out last winter as a means of rat control. mad Only a few back this fall.

#3318473 - 09/12/12 09:16 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
J_M Offline
trapper

I'll bet there will more than you think they have yet to start building for the winter here. I see one every other day or so going thew the yard looking for new homes. The spots that have water look to be pretty good this year.

#3318632 - 09/12/12 11:18 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
DV IN WI Offline
trapper

Loc: Wausau Wi
When trapping huts through ice I did see where a guy was usig the fiberglass stakes and he would cut into the hut wire the trap with 2" of wire and just set the stake out side the hut with about a foot or so of the wire with the stake outside, close up the hut and then when he ran the traps the rats would dive and pull the wire tight and steak up against the hut so he could see very quick if he had a catch or activity. His stakes where 3/8 by 3" and he did pretty well. Every other day if a hut didnot have activity or stake had not moved he would dig in and check trap to see if it was plugged.

#3319205 - 09/12/12 05:57 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: DV IN WI]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: DV IN WI
When trapping huts through ice I did see where a guy was usig the fiberglass stakes and he would cut into the hut wire the trap with 2" of wire and just set the stake out side the hut with about a foot or so of the wire with the stake outside, close up the hut and then when he ran the traps the rats would dive and pull the wire tight and steak up against the hut so he could see very quick if he had a catch or activity. His stakes where 3/8 by 3" and he did pretty well. Every other day if a hut didnot have activity or stake had not moved he would dig in and check trap to see if it was plugged.

I hope others here will continue to keep adding tips and tricks on hut trapping.

#3319306 - 09/12/12 06:44 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

This is the set-up I'm using for huts.

#3319404 - 09/12/12 07:33 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Mn Marshrat Offline
trapper

Grumley, how are you marking your sets? Looks like a cool setup. Do you notice fewer losses and more kill catches with the bigger #2 or...? Wish i had a couple hundred #2 SJ, short-chained, to try on the bigger huts.

Anybody have a tricked out sled they haul their stuff with?
~Robert Frost

#3319512 - 09/12/12 08:13 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

The set up is pretty simple, I'm using approx. 16" of 1/8" cable and approx. 5" of chain and 16" of 1/2" pvc. I fasten the cable to the chain with a double furrell. I drill a hole in the pvc the slip the cable through the hole, add a washer the crimp on a stop.

The one thing about total length of cable and chain is you don't want it longer than your reach.

The reason for the chain and not just cable to trap is that most times when I get into a hut the dive hole is at one end or the other and I need to position the trap 90 degrees to my access hole (because I want the rat between the jaws not over them) and I find that when I have only cable attached to the trap making the 90 degree turn basically loads the cable and the trap doesn't want to lay flat and rats crawling around have a better chance of flipping the trap.

As far as a being a killing trap, it happens but I'm more concerned with a high catch on the rat.

#3320206 - 09/13/12 10:39 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

grumley701, that looks like a well organized set-up. My wife is a global sourcing/procurement guru, and now that she knows that there's a little money to be made in trapping, she's constantly hounding me to get my gear better organized to increase my efficiency on the line. Actually she's kinda' handy in that regaurd!

eatsleeptrap, that coni set up looks real interesting to me. I think I saw them at Nationals and wanted to really check them out, but I was sick as a dog and had to leave early. Could you provide me a close up off that washer coni bracket please?

#3321166 - 09/13/12 09:30 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
J_M Offline
trapper

I use a 4 foot piece of 1X2 with 6 feet of 16 ga wire so after sealing I still have enough room to move stake and get it pounded in I have a metal cap that goes over the 1X2 so as not to splinter the end. Then once the stake is set I double the wire over and wrap it as tight as possible this way the rat is never less than a foot under the water. I stated with 4 foot wires found that they were a little to short to move the the stake and put it in where I wanted. I also did not pull the wire tight and found trying to untangle rats in icy water wile shoulder deep not much fun. I also like skinning dry freshly decesed rats over wet, finger numbing cold ones.

#3322921 - 09/15/12 03:14 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
Flooding, freeze outs, drought, failed wild rice crop or other feed sources will wipe out rats faster than any human will. Seal up the houses well and they don't freeze, also seal them up when you pull your traps, cause bank rats will move into the houses and use the push-ups. Bank them with snow if you have any. I have great success with 1 1/2 coils and Duke stop loss traps. I add a foot or so of chain or cable and stake with flagged lath outside the house. If you are on a very active population that has not been trapped, you can check twice a day. Should be done in 2 to 4 checks. If your rats are bitten, there are too many and they need thinning out. They are their own worst enemy, killing each other when overpopulated.

Trap them hard while you have them, it will keep the disease out, and you can't catch them all cause of all the dens you'll never find. You can trap a marsh that was fall trapped and new tenants will have moved into the houses.

#3325393 - 09/16/12 10:34 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

ttt

#3326838 - 09/17/12 09:47 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Grizzly Offline
trapper

Loc: North Idaho
Where will the spooked rats go, when under ice.

#3327023 - 09/18/12 02:35 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Grizzly]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Grizzly
Where will the spooked rats go, when under ice.

I ain't been watching them but one Winter so far, but from the little I've seen it sure does seem like they have far fewer options for avoiding you once the ice reduces their ability to find air.

#3327038 - 09/18/12 03:54 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
AlaskanGrunt Offline
trapper

Loc: Soldotna, Alaska
Where I'll hopefully be trapping there are alot of small creeks- maybe a foot to 2 feet wide that cross the road. most of them don't connect to ponds or lakes, a few do but most of them they're formed from muskeg/bogs with little to no standing water except in the spring with snow melt and they all drain into the main river here. They all have bogs around them for 100 yards or so on either side- mostly sphagnum moss, grass, trapper's tea, some small black spruce, cranberries, etc. My question is will these creeks have rats in them? Also as a side question will these spots have mink or weasel? And would the edges of the bog/woods be good places to set for coyote?
Mink 0/5
Muskrat 0/10
Weasel 0/10

#3327067 - 09/18/12 05:52 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Ringbill5196]
Jim Blakley Offline
trapper

Loc: se. mn... age..62
Originally Posted By: Ringbill5196

Have some property on a 400 acre lake that had 30 huts last fall in a shallow 30 acre bay/backwater. A property owner tore them all out last winter as a means of rat control. mad Only a few back this fall.

WHAT A PRICK ! And very much against the law ! Tell the DNR !

Edited by Jim Blakley (09/19/12 03:47 PM)

#3327321 - 09/18/12 09:38 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
lyonch Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Minnesota
Grumely probably has one of the fastest set ups i have seen. I personally use my 1.5 coil springs that have 6' of drowner cable attached to them and pogos on the ends. I leave most of the cable stick out of the hut and just enough inside for them to jump into the water to drown, but you don't want them to tangle in vegetation. The other end gets the pogo righ into the hut. 98% of the time the cabled doesn't get pulled tight because the cable will freeze to the wet vegetation that you used to plug the hole.

There is not tip to find a bank den after the ice turns to crap. If rats are my specific target for the season, I would take a few days on first ice and mark out every bubble trail i find, before i even think about setting a trap. This will give you many locations to go to as the ice gets more and more safe to be on. I personally prefer to just trap the huts and leave the bank rats alone. This ensures that i always have a healthy population to trap season after season!

#3327353 - 09/18/12 10:00 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

Lyonch, its been trial & error for me in regards to my set-up. In the past I've ran enough cable to allow the rats to get back into the water but after losing a few and spending 30+ minutes chopping ice to retrieve rats under the ice I have chosen to not give them enough cable to make it back into the water on most huts and if they do get back into the water they're never more than an arms length away.. I prefer the #2 because of it's ability to catch high and some DOA's, plus these old #2's don't have the spring strength of a 1.5 coil to snap bones most of the time, reducing any wring outs.

#3327381 - 09/18/12 10:17 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Grizzly]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

[quote=Grizzly]Where will the spooked rats go, when under ice. [/quot

Into the next nearest hut where hopefully I have a trap lying in wait. grin

#3328239 - 09/18/12 07:44 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

I used a number 1 long in the house with enough wire for then to drown. Would 110s be to much a hassle to put in the large huts?

#3328334 - 09/18/12 08:35 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: grumley701]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: grumley701

Hunting SD, grumley's posted this and I think it was good information on placing #110's in houses.

#3328496 - 09/18/12 10:05 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

I already use that, I was just wondering about the larger huts not the feeder huts.

#3328610 - 09/18/12 11:14 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
grumley701 Offline
trapper

I already use that, I was just wondering about the larger huts not the feeder huts.

The body grips work the same on feeder huts and denning huts. I only use body grips when I can't (for what every reason) use a foothold, I prefer not to spend the extra time it takes to deploy body grips in huts, footholds are much more efficient.

#3328836 - 09/19/12 07:10 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

Ok thank you.

#3338056 - 09/24/12 09:36 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

ttt again lets here some more ideas set ups etc.

#3449804 - 11/29/12 12:26 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

ttt again for winter! again add tips!

#3452894 - 11/30/12 06:01 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

ttt

#3453660 - 12/01/12 12:23 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Mn Marshrat Offline
trapper

Knee pads are real nice in the winter, and so are gauntlets...
~Robert Frost

#3453767 - 12/01/12 05:35 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: eatsleeptrap]
sbhooper Offline
trapper

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Please bring your board sets and baited conibears out here, I'd find it very entertaining watching you chop through 24 to 36 inches of ice for each set. If done properly you WILL NOT freeze up a hut, how do I know? because I trapped a slough in December went back in March and set the same huts, they were all open and had rats in them. Spook them? your kidding right? It's a freakin muskrat, one rung up the food chain ladder from a mouse.
In this region of the country it is the only efficient way to harvest muskrats in the dead of winter. You keep your laws I'll keep mine. [/quote]

Well said sir!! [/quote]

Good answer. All the old timers in the Nebraska sandhills hut trapped ONLY. I know one retired rancher that trapped 450 rats out of a marsh in front of his house. He said he trapped until he could not catch any more rats. They were just as thick the next season. The only way that hut trapping hurts anything is if you do not close the hole and let it freeze up. If all their huts freeze, then they will not survive. If anybody is stupid enough to skip a method of trapping because it is "lazy", he needs his head examined. Trapping is hard enough even if you find an easier way. There is nothing lazy about trapping huts-it is still plenty of work.

I haven't done it yet, but I think a chainsaw would be in order instead of an axe or something for hut entry. It would be easier to keep the plug intact.

Edited by sbhooper (12/01/12 05:37 AM)

#3454951 - 12/01/12 08:52 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: sbhooper]
trapper les Offline
trapper

Loc: williams,mn
I enter a rat house with a light,narrow,ice chizzel (2 inches wide) while on my knees in waders or wearing ice armor,running the chizzel through my hand like pool cue overhead.An axe of hachet is way to messy and tends to desroy things.I also like to leave the house intact,using wet or wetted material to seal up or rebuild.If you want to trap when it is really,really cold,you might as well count on killing the house.Season ends here at the end of Feb and I pick warm stretches of weather to trap rats.If its gonna be 30 below I'll just let'm live.

#3568126 - 01/17/13 09:54 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

ttt

#3568417 - 01/18/13 01:37 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
I kneel on a boat cushion when setting huts. Good gauntlets with liners are a must, don't bare hand unless you like doctor visits and stitches and cut tendons. Pull wet vegetation from inside the house to caulk and seal the hole you cut. Snow is great for insulating your sealed hole. A kids sled will with a rope threaded through holes in the edges will let you bungee totes or a duffel to it and will pull effortlessly. If there's snow, roll your rats in it to dry them. Have a cloth bag or a separate tote to store your rats in so they don't freeze to your gear. Cut cattails with your tile spade and fold them like an accordion to plug your hole if your material is too mushy then seal with wet material. Cardboard can be handy for this. Bring a kid or friend with to join in the adventure.

Rat houses have been tough to find this year. 3 times as many fall trappers hit my lakes compared to a few years ago. Drought, flood and failed wild rice have knocked them back.

House trapping is great adventure and good exercise!

X2 on the cold weather, if it going to be 10 below zero or colder, you may freeze the house up and ruin it for the rats. Bank with snow if you have any, it helps to keep the house warm.

#3599809 - 01/29/13 08:40 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Creek Bottom Offline
trapper

Loc: Missoula, MT
TTT It's about that time of year for me to start knocking on those hut doors.

#3600159 - 01/29/13 10:30 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
madtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Ely, Minnesota, coolest small ...
I carry a styrofoam pad to kneel on, pull a sled, and have a fiber glass packbasket. I have tried setting 2 traps in some houses, this did seem to help. Not good to add too much chain, once I had to retrieve a rat by chopping a hole outside the house then pulling the rat and trap out of that hole. Neoprene hip boots are nice for warmth and kneeling on the ice too.

#3600211 - 01/29/13 11:05 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Mn Marshrat Offline
trapper

Probing houses with a 1/2" rod before chopping really saved on wasted effort this year; probably 4/5 were frozen.
~Robert Frost

#3601548 - 01/30/13 02:48 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
madtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Ely, Minnesota, coolest small ...
I found the same thing marshrat. Do you remember the ice chisel Orlan peihl used to sell? It had a hook on it like a big tine on a fish spear which would pull out stuff from the house as you were chopping into it.

#3601585 - 01/30/13 03:03 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

I did as well where i got 35 rats last year I got 4 this year went to a small lake near my house this year to see if there was any there only got 8 more all their dens were well above the ice line... i know they were there this fall yet too but never had enought time to set traps.

#3602313 - 01/30/13 06:54 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Huntin SD Offline
trapper

Got 27 under ice this year, 29 if you count the ones the mink ate.

#3606211 - 02/01/13 10:17 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: madtrapper]
Mn Marshrat Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: madtrapper
I found the same thing marshrat. Do you remember the ice chisel Orlan peihl used to sell? It had a hook on it like a big tine on a fish spear which would pull out stuff from the house as you were chopping into it.

No i don't, is that what you use? Sounds like it would be handy.
~Robert Frost

#4140812 - 11/27/13 11:21 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

well it is almost that time of year again so i figured i would post it to the top.

#4140910 - 11/28/13 02:40 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Doogie Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
Its that time of year here, we have 4" of solid clear ice, been at it for the last few days. going to give setting conis in bank runs today a try. I use a keyhole saw to cut my huts

#4141361 - 11/28/13 10:30 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
tak6165 Online   content
trapper

Two 5 gallon buckets full of traps fit side by side, throw in the tile spade and I'm ready to go. Kids like to stand on the skis at the back like a dog sled. Pulls pretty easy, too.

#4141937 - 11/28/13 04:36 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Doogie Offline
trapper

Anyone else have trouble with something getting into the huts your trapping? Found one of my huts with the plug completely tore out and the rat missing all that was left was a front foot in the trap. Second time in two years it has happened, two different locations but looks the same. I'm thinking coyote? Or mink?

#4142294 - 11/28/13 07:26 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Doogie Offline
trapper

Guess its time to break out some of the new #2s I bought

#4146336 - 11/30/13 10:15 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

I have never had fox do that but I have had mink do that. I wear some knee pads that way I don't get soaking wet knees only found 1 hut this year so I am gonna give rat trapping a break last two years weather has been tough on them. I really enjoy trapping rats in the winter though.

#4146399 - 11/30/13 11:25 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
trapper les Offline
trapper

I've been wearing my Ice Armor bibs when I rat trap.The knees and seat are padded and waterproof.They are warm and you'll be down to just a shirt after a little bit.

#4146408 - 11/30/13 11:42 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: Warmutt]
ADCofWMt Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Montana

It is a rare day I find a hut. Almost exclusively bank rats here. Kind of surprised nobody else is using one. But I use a dog to locate rat holes. Both before and after freeze up.

#4146613 - 12/01/13 07:39 AM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Doogie Offline
trapper

We finally got a skiff of snow and there's fox tracks all over the place. And there where coyote tracks at the spot where is occurred last year. I have a couple hay sets plugged in, hopefully that will put a end to the rat thievery.

That's funny how that works ADC. One place I trap has exclusively huts another bank dens and another a mix of both.

#4146991 - 12/01/13 12:57 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
NodakGuy Offline
trapper

Wish I had enough rats around to trap this winter. Checked out 9 sloughs and a small creek yesterday and found one hut. Guess I'll have to keep looking

#4147032 - 12/01/13 01:24 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
trapper les Offline
trapper

Yet...I was checking out an old beaver pond,no beaver in it,trying not to break through the ice,and on the high end in the cattails--2 rat houses.I'll set them up in the next day or 2 because when those rats freeze out,they'll be on topside running around getting ate by other critters.

#4159805 - 12/07/13 03:31 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
ccoyote Offline
trapper

how has everyone been doing out there? I am not trapping them in my spots this year too few and no competition. hopefully will help them next year.

#4160462 - 12/07/13 08:13 PM Re: trapping winter rats! [Re: ccoyote]
Rats! Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Put in a few pole sets and bank den sets today. Thought I would do both types of sets and compare. I am sold on pole sets. I set a bank den that required chopping a hole of about 4 square feet to find the right location. With a pole set you only have to be in the general area. If you haven't tried the pole set you don't know what you're missing. By the way, I put some pole sets out the other day and forgot to bring bait (carrot). Caught some 'rats just the same- curiosity caught the rats. I'm quite sure the first rat that comes along does not get the bait, at least not all of it. So if the bait is totaly gone, I'm counting on another catch. I have never used apple, it is too flimsy. I once compared carrot to parsnip and preference seemed to lean toward carrot. Carrots are cheaper, too.

I have read opinions about bait not working under the ice. That is not my opinion.

Snow is coming tomorrow and that is going to put a hurt on the bubble trail bodygripper trappers.

Have a Merry Rattin' Christmas!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30