Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3307078 - 09/05/12 10:08 AM moving guns and ammo through canada
tightlywound1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fort Wainwright/ North Pole AK
I have been doing some reading on bringing guns through Canada to Alaska. From what I have read you just need to declear them at the border crossing fill out some paperwork and pay a fee. This sounds pretty easy so far but my question is do they have a limit on how many or what size. We are planning on bringing several shotguns and rifles and a few pistols also. there was a mention of anything shorter than 105MM about 4 inches is illegal in Canada. One last thing was about ammunition and how much you could bring with you? I tried accessing the website but my internet access wouldn't let me through from here. Does anyone know the rules on ammo and how much you can bring. We do have alot and i would like to bring it with me instead of buying more up in alaska or having to ship it. Thanks for your help.

#3307090 - 09/05/12 10:23 AM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada

Edited by trapper ron (09/05/12 10:25 AM)
NAFA Trapper Consultant

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

#3307169 - 09/05/12 11:25 AM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
white17 Online   content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
I have tried contacting Canadian customs through their website to no avail. I have a different suggestion or two. By far the easiest thing for you to do is mail the long guns to yourself. You can't do that with the handguns. Secondly I would catch a hop from maybe Tinker AFB to Elmendorf or Eilson and transport your handguns that way. Not sure on the ammo issue on MAC or whatever they call it now.

#3307266 - 09/05/12 12:50 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
AK Fur Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla, Alaska
Non semi-auto, long guns are fine to transport through Canada as long as they are listed on one of the Canadian Customs forms, declared at the border and the fee paid. I believe the last time I drove through Canada, it was a $25 fee, regardless of the number of firearms. As White17 suggested, you can also mail long guns (including semi-autos) from yourself to yourself, but handguns can only be shipped FFL dealer to FFL dealer. As a FFL dealer in Alaska, I receive a lot of transfers for folks that get stopped at the Canadian border and end up having to find a local FFL dealer in the US to ship their prohibited firearms. As Trapper Ron suggested, best to check out the links he listed above in order to avoid any conflict at the border.
Since you are coming from Ft. Riley, I assume you are US Army and serving our country. From a Navy (retired) vet to an active duty member, "Thank You" for your service!

#3307284 - 09/05/12 01:08 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
It's called AMC these days (changed mid 90's)... The AFMAN 24-204(I) is the regulation the Services use for air transport of hazmat. It is derived from the 49CFR. The allowance for personal ammunition is 11 lbs per pax...

https://dap.dau.mil/policy/Documents/Policy/AFMAN24_204_I%5B1%5D.pdf

A22.2.10. Securely boxed, cartridges for sporting purposes (in Class 1.4S), in quantities not exceeding
5 kg (11 lbs.) gross weight per passenger may be in checked baggage for personal use, excluding
ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles. Do not combine allowances for more than one
passenger into one or more packages. Comply with DoD 4500.9R, Defense Transportation Regulation,
Part I for military issued ammunition.

#3307531 - 09/05/12 04:10 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper

Loc: sneakin' up behind ya
Back in the early 90s I had plans to move to Alaska, even started sending out resumes. My firearms transportation plan was to buy a tandem axle enclosed trailer load all my furniture and guns in it and drive to Seattle. There I would put it on the ferry and unload in Anchorage or where ever I decided to disembark and completely avoid Canada. Is that a plan that would still work?

#3307545 - 09/05/12 04:14 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
white17 Online   content

The ferry has become pretty expensive with a vehicle

#3307557 - 09/05/12 04:19 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper

When I was up there in '91 I went from Skagway to Prince Rupert , it didn't seem bad at the time for me and my pickup. I would think there is a certain value to not having to register all your guns, yes filling out a Canadien form and or shipping FFL to FFL is a form of registration. Of course I haven't owned a gun in years so it doesn't matter to me anymore.

#3307569 - 09/05/12 04:25 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
newhouse114 Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
I took the Ferry route a year ago to avoid customs due to artwork involving marine mammal products. You go from Bellingham, WA to Whittier, AK and then drive to your destination. Ran me about $2500 for the F150 long bed and myself.

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index

#3307576 - 09/05/12 04:32 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper

Sounds like a bargain to me. Especially when you consider how much gas you save at $4-5 gallon or more and the wear and tear on your vehicle. So 114 I guess you answered my question, it is legal to ferry firearms. Ferry firearms, sound like a gay gun dealer. laugh

#3307713 - 09/05/12 05:50 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
tree Offline
trapper

Loc: southeast alaska
The Ferry from Bellingham To Juneau is cheaper than the barge lines anymore. The barges have come up with a huge "Fuel Surcharge" My buddy brought up a truck on the ferry for under 1,000, the barge lines wanted 1,500. The state is pushing the Rupert run, with the Bellingham run you don't have to worry about the Canadian Border and being "Rehabilitated" to cross. A while ago, Canadian Customs was dragging crew off the ferries in rupert and fining them for decades old DWI and other misdemeanor offences.

#3308518 - 09/06/12 04:29 AM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
tightlywound1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fort Wainwright/ North Pole AK
Ok thanks guys My plan was to bring my pickup and an enclosed trailer up from kansas to washington and thne up through Canada. I have about 10 pistols and 30 rifles and shotguns but I am not planning on bringing them all up there. Maybe about 15 total. You all helped out alot. Thanks again.

#3309047 - 09/06/12 11:19 AM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
waggler Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
One thing to keep in mind is that in Canada a rifle must have a minimum barrel length of 18" not 16" (which is the US minimum). I got turned back at the border at Abbotsford BC/Sumas WA once because I had a single shot 22 with a 16 1/4" barrel. I had to drive back to Lynden and leave it at a friends house.

#3309076 - 09/06/12 11:30 AM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
having driven up twice, and traveling to canada to hunt several times the firearms part is super easy.
I print the form ahead of time and fill it all out. I may have even paid ahead of time?? i can't recall...

anyways, I declared them, showed them the form and they could care less. they were more interested in what was in my moving boxes and pickup than the guns.

actually, they found a bottle of boones farm and freaked out that I didn't declare that... they confiscated that dangerous $3 bottle of bad booze....

#3309089 - 09/06/12 11:37 AM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
Brings back a fond memory of my wife and I moving from Kodiak to Juneau back in '85. Took the ferry from Kodiak to Homer, then drove to Anchorage. Got a late start the next day, and when we got to Tok, were told the Border closed at midnight. We got there with just a few minutes to spare, and the sleepy crossing guard was running us through the usual questions. When he got to the gun part and I informed him that yes, I do have a few firearms, he asked what they were. I then listed, "well, a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge shot gun, as well as a 22 long rifle".
His head snapped to attention, shouting, "22 long rifles? Why do you have 22 long rifles!"
I thought he was going to draw on me. After a little clarification, I was on my way, but sure wish I had a picture of his face at that one moment.

#3309348 - 09/06/12 02:34 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
waggler Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
A friend and I were trapping out of Hyder one winter and staying the nights just across the border in Stewart B.C. We were crossing the border daily. We had enough sense to leave our 22 in Hyder. The Canadian border guards knew what we were doing as they saw us daily. One day they spotted a 22 shell laying in a cup holder, they about came ungluded and searched the whole truck. If you think bureaucracy is bad in the U.S. just try dealing with Canadian bureaucrats.
By the way, there wasn't even a U.S. border crossing station when you crossed back into the U.S., this was about 12 years ago, I don't know about now. Hyder is a different kind of place; the kids go to school in Canada, the phones use a Canadian area code and prefix, and you'll occasionally see RCMP cars patrolling through Hyder. Apparently they're trying to catch their own subjects buying booze or other contraband in Alaska.

Edited by waggler (09/06/12 02:42 PM)

#3312767 - 09/08/12 06:58 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: waggler]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

Loc: Circle, Alaska
Get the paper work before you cross the border and read it then re-read it again to make sure you do it right, they WILL NOT let you cross the border with handguns and can confiscate them and everything else you have if you try to sneak them through. I had the privelage of being detained at the border and interogated for an hour while they tore apart my vehicle even though I had filled everything out right. I had mailed my pistols but brought my handgun ammo and holsters etc. which IS legal although there is a 200 rd. limit or something which I was under, anyway they assumed that I was smuggling handguns because I had handgun ammo even though it was legal to have the ammo and I told them that I had mailed the handguns and even gave them the number to the gun dealer who mailed them for me. Anyway they threatened to confiscate everything I had if I didn't tell them where the guns were, I told them to search away I had nothing to hide. It was a 2 hour ordeal and when they were done they said I could pack up my truck and go after they dumped everything out of the boxes so I had to re-pack everything. I'll never drive through canada again!!

#3312856 - 09/08/12 07:42 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
white17 Online   content

One time many years ago I was questioned by the Canadian customs guys. They counted my money, made me empty my pockets, asked where I was going. I answered that but when they asked why I was going to Alaska I told them it was my country, not theirs, and 'why' was none of their business. That ended the interview on a less than cordial note.

#3313126 - 09/08/12 09:53 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
W17,

How's that Witness Protection Program thingy working out for you?!!

Btw, I spoke with Bearpaw via phone yesterday from where I am here in fire camp at Idaho City. He was in Lewiston for meetings, then back to Pocatello. Had a fun discussion about the wolf trapping class that he has been teaching here.

Pete

#3313168 - 09/08/12 10:13 PM Re: moving guns and ammo through canada [Re: tightlywound1]
white17 Online   content

I wondered where the heck he's been. Haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks.

Barb doing well in WITSEC program

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >