No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3298773 - 08/30/12 08:13 PM Texas Trapping Laws
dwa Offline
trapper

Loc: Palo Pinto County, Texas
I have pvt property to trap on but Ive been trying to find the regs on trapping on the brazos and under bridges. I read the TPWD info online and still cant find what im looking for. Any direction would be great.

#3298890 - 08/30/12 08:58 PM Re: Texas Trapping Laws [Re: dwa]
txhunter92 Offline
trapper

Loc: stephenville tx
No trapping under bridges

#3299019 - 08/30/12 10:22 PM Re: Texas Trapping Laws [Re: dwa]
dcampbell Offline
trapper

Loc: livingston Tx
Class A Misdemeanor to trap under any state maintained highway bridges. Not sure about county maintained roads but the state ones are taboo.

#3299335 - 08/31/12 08:32 AM Re: Texas Trapping Laws [Re: dwa]
dwa Offline
trapper

ok thanks thats what I thought. Yall know anything about trapping on the brazos?

#3299349 - 08/31/12 08:43 AM Re: Texas Trapping Laws [Re: dwa]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Texas and Louisiana are probably the two most trapper friendly states,when it comes to trapping regulations.They have two very active trapper associations,also,which may have a lot to do with it.

#3299387 - 08/31/12 09:10 AM Re: Texas Trapping Laws [Re: dwa]
cedar hacker Offline
trapper

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Originally Posted By: dwa
I have pvt property to trap on but Ive been trying to find the regs on trapping on the brazos and under bridges. I read the TPWD info online and still cant find what im looking for. Any direction would be great.

The Brazos is like the other rivers in Texas with the exception of the Devils River, which is private.

It is illegal to:

Shoot at, take or attempt to take any fur-bearing animal from a boat on public waters in Texas.
Take fur-bearing animals by means of falconry without a valid falconry permit issued by the department.
Take fur-bearing animals with a foothold or conibear-style trap except during the season for commercial harvest.
Take fur-bearing animals with a foothold or conibear-style trap within 400 yards of any school.
Use smoke, explosives or chemical irritants of any kind to harry or flush fur-bearing animals.
Take fur-bearing animals with conibear-style traps with a diagonal opening greater than 10 inches set on land or in less than 6-inch deep water.
Take fur-bearing animals with snare, foothold, conibear-style trap, and live or box trap unless such devices are examined at least once every 36 hours and animals are removed on discovery.

You cannot trap on any public roads or right-of-ways, and that includes county roads as well as state and federal highways.

#3300373 - 08/31/12 08:26 PM Re: Texas Trapping Laws [Re: cedar hacker]
dwa Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: cedar hacker
Originally Posted By: dwa

The Brazos is like the other rivers in Texas with the exception of the Devils River, which is private.

It is illegal to:

Shoot at, take or attempt to take any fur-bearing animal from a boat on public waters in Texas.
Take fur-bearing animals by means of falconry without a valid falconry permit issued by the department.
Take fur-bearing animals with a foothold or conibear-style trap except during the season for commercial harvest.
Take fur-bearing animals with a foothold or conibear-style trap within 400 yards of any school.
Use smoke, explosives or chemical irritants of any kind to harry or flush fur-bearing animals.
Take fur-bearing animals with conibear-style traps with a diagonal opening greater than 10 inches set on land or in less than 6-inch deep water.
[color:#FFFF99]Take fur-bearing animals with snare, foothold, conibear-style trap, and live or box trap unless such devices are examined at least once every 36 hours and animals are removed on discovery.[/color]You cannot trap on any public roads or right-of-ways, and that includes county roads as well as state and federal highways.

this is what im looking for. so as long as I check them everyday its ok.

Edited by dwa (08/31/12 08:26 PM)

#4033704 - 10/03/13 08:31 PM Re: Texas Trapping Laws [Re: dwa]
coldrain Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwest Arkansas
Do land traps have jaw spread limits in Texas? Are larger sizes required to be offset? I have been on the TPW website, but haven't found any thing about what traps and snares are legal to use. I know I out of state licenses is a pretty penny (house is 2 miles from Texas line), and I found the season dates. I want to know if I could legally use my big beaver footholds in a few coyote sets.

#4034047 - 10/04/13 01:14 AM Re: Texas Trapping Laws [Re: dwa]
ETexTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Woodville, (Southeast) Texas
Footholds- no size limits. No restrictions on snares.

Edited by ETexTrapper (10/04/13 01:16 AM)