Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Muskrat set question. #32920
01/11/07 04:12 PM
01/11/07 04:12 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here's the situation. This morning I went out to check some coon traps. When I walked up on the pond, there was a muskrat swimming around in the water. I watched him, and he disappeared behind a tree growing next to the water. I waited, and he came back out, swam a circle, and then went behind the tree. When I moved to get a better look, he took off.

The tree about 18 inches from the water. There is a flat shelf between the tree and the water about 18 by 18 inches enclosed by tree roots on the sides. The shelf sits about 3 inches above the water line. The water there is too deep to set a foothold in the water. It drops straight down. Sitting on the shelf is a half eaten ear of corn.

If I set an exposed trap on this shelf, will it catch a rat? I've never caught one in an exposed trap, but then, I've never set an exposed trap for rats before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Muskrat set question. [Re: ] #32929
01/11/07 04:18 PM
01/11/07 04:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Where's George Wacha when I need him? I can't find his rat book I bought from him. Half my books are still in boxes from the move. But I do have his autographed picture on my dresser, still.

Guess I'll have to ask him in the chat room tonight.

Re: Muskrat set question. [Re: ] #32930
01/11/07 04:21 PM
01/11/07 04:21 PM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
Buck just scoop out a bed or two to fit you footholds, make indents into the shelf. The rats will use these to try to gain access to the shelf and you'll get them.

MikeD

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Muskrat set question. [Re: MikeTraps2] #32942
01/11/07 04:30 PM
01/11/07 04:30 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well, there's not much of s shelf there, and I was worried that if I scooped out a shelf for a foothold there wouldn't be much left, and the disturbance might cause the rats to stop coming. Something tells me this is a feeding station for more than one rat. I'd like to set it up with a trap wired to a brick and the brick off to the side so when he dives in the water, the brick takes him down. Its a straight dropoff into deep water there. I'd guess about 5 feet. I figure if an exposed trap would work, I could set 2 traps at a time there and catch more than one rat.

Re: Muskrat set question. [Re: ] #32943
01/11/07 04:31 PM
01/11/07 04:31 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

By the way, is this Mike DiSalvo with a new name?

Re: Muskrat set question. [Re: ] #33012
01/11/07 05:11 PM
01/11/07 05:11 PM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
Yes it is me Buck

Not talking a huge cut in the shelf, just enough to hide a # 1 long or so, just stake in deep water and they'll drown for sure.

The yellow spots indicate the beds I scooped out on this shelf much like you are describing.

2 set = 2 rats!

Last edited by MikeTraps2; 01/11/07 05:12 PM.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Muskrat set question. [Re: ] #33040
01/11/07 05:30 PM
01/11/07 05:30 PM
SW MN
Mncoontrapper Offline
trapper
Mncoontrapper  Offline
trapper

SW MN
The weight of the trap will be plenty to drown a rat.

Re: Muskrat set question. [Re: Mncoontrapper] #33058
01/11/07 05:36 PM
01/11/07 05:36 PM
Pawnee, IL
B
blackbear9801 Offline
trapper
blackbear9801  Offline
trapper
B

Pawnee, IL
buck I have caught them with an exposed trap. If thats all you can do, try it and you should catch him.

Just remember they cant take your birthday
Re: Muskrat set question. [Re: ] #33274
01/11/07 07:18 PM
01/11/07 07:18 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
Originally Posted By: BuckNE
Well, there's not much of s shelf there, and I was worried that if I scooped out a shelf for a foothold there wouldn't be much left, and the disturbance might cause the rats to stop coming. Something tells me this is a feeding station for more than one rat. I'd like to set it up with a trap wired to a brick and the brick off to the side so when he dives in the water, the brick takes him down. Its a straight dropoff into deep water there. I'd guess about 5 feet. I figure if an exposed trap would work, I could set 2 traps at a time there and catch more than one rat.

Do exactly that... You may have 2 rats in the AM.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91