Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3260545 - 08/06/12 12:32 PM Out of State hunting
scootermac Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Manitoba
Question for my American brothers, can you legally hunt in any state you want as long as you buy the appropriate liecence? Here in Canada I can hunt in some province as a non resident but in others I would have to hire a guide. I dream about being able to hunt Alaskan-Yukon moose or Dall Sheep but just can't justify the 20,000+ it would cost me.

#3260564 - 08/06/12 01:07 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
A moose hunt wouldn't be that expensive, Sheep can get pricey but probably cheaper than in Canada. We can hunt in any state as long as we buy a non-resident license for that state.

Non-residents hunting in Alaska must have a guide for sheep but not moose

#3260567 - 08/06/12 01:12 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
Idaho Bison Offline
trapper

Loc: Lewiston, Idaho
Wanted to go hunt caribou up there with a buddy from Palmer and another buddy from Alberta and he would have to hire a guide so we never did it.

#3260570 - 08/06/12 01:14 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
white17 Offline

Yeah I'm not sure about non=resident aliens. Might be a bit different regs.

I just looked at the regs. It IS different for non-resident aliens. They DO need a guide. My first post is wrong.

Edited by white17 (08/06/12 01:18 PM)

#3260581 - 08/06/12 01:31 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
cat catcher Online   content
trapper

Loc: Atlin, British Columbia Canada
Scooter just move to a different province, i'm going sheep hunting in a few minutes, scoped them out the other day and there were 3 legal rams, but i can tell you one thing, get in shape and as i'm finding out the round shape is not a good one to be. the uphill walks are killing the prairie boy.lol
i can look at sheep and goats from my front deck. what a beautiful sight.

#3260601 - 08/06/12 01:59 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: cat catcher]
scootermac Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Manitoba
Originally Posted By: cat catcher
Scooter just move to a different province, i'm going sheep hunting in a few minutes, scoped them out the other day and there were 3 legal rams, but i can tell you one thing, get in shape and as i'm finding out the round shape is not a good one to be. the uphill walks are killing the prairie boy.lol
i can look at sheep and goats from my front deck. what a beautiful sight.

Glad to hear your doing well, find a place to trap yet? Make sure you post some pics, and thanks for depressing the [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] out of me. 9 years to go before I can even think about moving, but even then I think I'm staying here, spoiled on the line I get to trap.

#3260738 - 08/06/12 04:06 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Loc: Yukon
Scooter You can hunt here in Yukon if you know someone...... they just have to get a special guides license. A Yukon resident can get a special guides lic every three years. We can take no payment of any kind..... no trades no nothing. Usually it is friend or family. YTG give out 100 of these licenses every year.... first come first serve.

Cat-catcher.... are you in Yukon now???? If I remember right you were going to move up this way?? If so you cant hunt for a year I believe.... might be 6-months but I think its a year. Unless you live near Carcross you are not seeing goats.... ewe dall sheep maybe but not goats. Even if you do live near Carcross you would almost certainly be looking at sheep not goats..... That is of course if you are even in Yukon smile

#3260966 - 08/06/12 06:42 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
W17's SECOND post is correct.

A Canadian citizen would be required (as a NR ALIEN) to contract with a guide to hunt ANY big game in Alaska.

It probably made perfect sense to some politicians at some point, but I can't see the logic of making, for example, a resident of the Yukon hire a guide to hunt moose in AK. Probably just a "guide welfare" consideration!

Pete

#3261520 - 08/06/12 11:17 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Pete I got the best of both worlds. Since Im an American Citizen I can go get a regular non-resident tag and hunt AK...... or just stay here and hunt Yukon smile

#3261521 - 08/06/12 11:20 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
Jacks Offline
trapper

Loc: Bemidji, MN
Ken,

I was under the impression, that an American that is non resident needed a guide for moose hunting, bear, and sheep. I never did look at the regs though. Is a guide only needed on sheep?. Is this true for the whole state?

#3261533 - 08/06/12 11:28 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
white17 Offline

Not moose, black bear or caribou. Definitely brown bear, sheep, or goat. State-wide

Nonresident Licensee:

Need a guide if you plan to hunt for brown/grizzly bear, sheep or goat. You must complete an affidavit showing that you will be accompanied by a person who is qualified to guide under Alaska Statute 16.05.407. See definition above of a nonresident licensee.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntlicense.guiding

Edited by white17 (08/06/12 11:29 PM)

#3261545 - 08/06/12 11:52 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
Jacks Offline
trapper

White,

What do you think the chances for someone that never been to Alaska to have suscefull chance at shooting a bull moose. Less than 40 percent would be my guess, hope I am wrong though? And what do ou think the preferred meathod would be, float a river?

Edited by Jacks (08/06/12 11:53 PM)

#3261722 - 08/07/12 08:26 AM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
white17 Offline

Without a guide...yeah I think less than 40%. River floats are pretty good and that would be my preferred method..BUT...you are fairly limited by what you can see from the river. If you want a really big moose you might get him that way...I have several times... but it's pot luck. You take what you get. Of course you can camp and climb some relief to get a look around if there are some hills.

Good research will really pay off in this endeavor

For what it's worth, I'd bet the success rate for all moose hunters ( resident & non-rez ) is less than 40% if you're hunting without a guide,

#3261845 - 08/07/12 09:59 AM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

W17 are your mose numbers that low?? Less than a 40% success rate seems very low..... not sure what it is here Territory wide but of the guys I know its closer to 90%.

#3261919 - 08/07/12 10:54 AM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
white17 Offline

Well moose numbers right here are that low for sure. I can't say about state-wide numbers. Season is closed in many areas and has been for several years while predator control is under way

#3261953 - 08/07/12 11:23 AM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
In my opinion, float hunts in Alaska are WAY overrated. And most of that is because most of the float trips that once were good, are now pretty well hammered. The big air taxi outfits have over-saturated just about all of the better known float routes by dumping out hundreds, if not thousands of DIY hunters. You float through terrific looking moose habitat, forgetting that there have been a ton of rafts that already went through. Too, most float hunters spend too much time floating and not nearly enough time HUNTING.

A few years ago I was guiding a moose hunter for a fellow down in GMU 19, a few miles from W17's trapline. Over the course of the September moose season, 34 rafts floated by (1 or 2 hunters per raft.) Out of all those rafts, there was only ONE dead moose. Interestingly, it was a sublegal moose (maybe 45" spread; min is 50") and the guy was blithely unaware of the violation. Where he was going to take out, I am sure there was going to be a wildlife trooper to "explain" it to him.

So here, completely free of charge, is my advice for an aspiring NR hunter who is planning a float hunt for moose in Alaska.

Instead of booking the flight/hunt, do this: Put on all your fancy gortex rainwear and hip-boots. Run a tub full of cold water. Add some ice cubes to the tub. Leave the shower nozzle on lightly (also on cold,) to simulate drizzling rain. Finally take some more ice cubes and a handful of sand/gravel and pour it down into your shorts, under the gortex.

Next, get in the tub and sit down in the cold water. Stay there for 8 or 9 hours. Lift some weights to simulate rowing the raft.

This will simulate the "sensation" of a typical September float hunt for moose! You will see (and kill) just as many moose in your bathtub in your house as you would have seen out on that overhunted "pristine Alaska river" where the air taxi dropped you off!

But here is the beautiful part....... you have saved yourself the price of an expensive airplane ride!

No need to thank me. I do it as a public service...

Pete

#3261994 - 08/07/12 12:04 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
yukonjeff Online   content
trapper

Loc: MTV.Alaska
Pete...you forgot to have them poking needles into their skin while in the tub.. to simulate bug bites smile
(if you dont have a needle handy a lit cigarette touched to you skin will work also.)

#3262220 - 08/07/12 02:58 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Holy smokes that sounds dismal indeed...... guess that explains why Canadian outfitters are booked solid for moose hunters. ...... sheesh here I never see another hunter.... or even any signs of their passing, at least in the wilderness areas.

#3262494 - 08/07/12 05:40 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
Jacks Offline
trapper

Pete,

You had me until the ice cubes down my shorts. Lol

#3262987 - 08/07/12 10:07 PM Re: Out of State hunting [Re: scootermac]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
Pete is not exaggerating. There are NOT moose everywhere. In fact, there are not caribou everywhere, either. The actual success rates for hunters can easily be found on ADF&G's web site. Some are dismal, at best. The area I live in is well below 20%, for residents! Interior is certainly different, but not necessarily better. Personally, I would venture that a guide would increase your odds of success by magnitudes, but of course at a cost. The guide spends an incredible amount of time and expence locating animals, maintaining a business, paying for insurance, gear, etc., ad-nauseum. Some guides have 80% success rates, and earn them. Others will be less, not saying they don't work equally as hard. Watch for the 100% guarantee. A certain rip-off. DYI? Maybe. Just don't make a moose your highest priority.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >