Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Flemingtraps
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Fleming Traps

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3254070 - 08/01/12 08:56 PM Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Georgia
Other than your standard bones, turds, pieces of fur/hide, etc. what scented objects have you caught yotes on at these type flat sets?

Here are a few I have caught yotes (and bcats and grey foxes) on over the years:

1) piece of tire rubber picked up on highway
2) piece of hydraulic hose discarded from a log truck (with hydraulic oil on it)
3) Mountain Dew plastic bottle (empty)
4) small whitetail shed antler
4) Coco-Cola can (empty)
5) cigarette pack (can't remember brand)
6) syrofoam dinner plate discarded by loggers (had chicken bones in it)
7) styrofoam cup
8) red Dixie cup
9) smoked down cigarette butt (not mine..I don't smoke) - red fox caught on this
10) discarded rubber gloves at hunting camp deer carcass dump
11) piece of a red brick(critters were already crapping on this and it caught my attention)
12) rubber mud flap off a log trailer
13) burnt piece or block of wood (not new but effective unless you are trapping in a burned wooded area)

Just stake and bed trap, lure and a shot of urine or just urine and go.................or better yet...put a yote turd on the object.

Yotes and other K9's/felines here are some picky critters! LOL!

Edited by Swamp Wolf (08/01/12 09:12 PM)

SWAMPWOLF

#3254123 - 08/01/12 09:25 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
watermann2 Offline
trapper

Loc: catskill mnts, New York
I guess I should get more creative with stuff then write back....

#3254136 - 08/01/12 09:28 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
Boostinhard Offline
trapper

Loc: Grand Detour, IL (32)
For crying out loud man, no Happy Birthday balloon filled with helium swaying back and forth??? LOL

That's just crazy.

#3254150 - 08/01/12 09:39 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper

Most of the stuff listed was used because I saw where a yote, fox or bcat walked up to it and either smelled it, urinated on it or crapped on it. I then used what they showed me!

Keep in mind some of these items likely had been lying there for weeks, months or years and the critter had no fear of it. Once one critter urinated on it.......here we go....every one that walked by it urinated or crapped on it. When I see that.....ahhhhh it's on! LOL!

I keep a lot of these objects (especially the tire rubber, rubber hose, brick pieces, burnt wood, old soda pop bottles) in my truck along with cow t-bones, small skulls, etc. to use over and over.

I have a piece of tire rubber (about 4" x 12") that has caught several yotes. Lightly burn the edges each year to keep it good smelling so they will want to pee on it.

Edited by Swamp Wolf (08/01/12 09:51 PM)

SWAMPWOLF

#3254177 - 08/01/12 09:56 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
andyva Offline
trapper

Loc: southwest, VA
A single cedar tree about 12" high in a field of dead broomsage. Needs to be in a srategic location of course.You can cut limbs out of a big one to remake, but if it's real it is already used.

#3254466 - 08/02/12 07:22 AM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
MChewk Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Been having good results using the SCENT EGG.

#3256178 - 08/03/12 09:53 AM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper

I guess there is not too many creative trappers out there as me.

Ya'll are missing fur!

SWAMPWOLF

#3256194 - 08/03/12 10:03 AM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
I just grab whatever is nearby that sorta stands out when creating my own. If I find a turd or something, regardless of what its on, I'd set it up. Old diaper, tire chunk, styrofoam cup...its the turd/wee I'm concerned with!! Guess I just don't trap dirty woods like you do, Swamp Wolf!! Hahaha.

#3256943 - 08/03/12 06:21 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper

Yeah, after I posted this I got to think'in: I bet everyone will think I trap in a landfill! LOL!

SWAMPWOLF

#3256951 - 08/03/12 06:26 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
yoteguts Offline
trapper

Loc: central Illinois
Sorry SW I'm just an old boring grass tuft, rock,charred wood,t-bone kinda guy.lol

More trappin' and less yappin'.

Member FTA & USSA.

#3257322 - 08/03/12 10:17 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
cmr2 Offline
trapper

Loc: west central indiana
Make some egg type ices from 1/2 clear tubing, and maple branches from when I trim the tree in the yard , cut them green and trim so can push the tubing on(1.5"long or so) works good at all of the sets for holding lure, urine, bait ( stuff with wool for fist two) acts like weather protection also

#3257460 - 08/04/12 04:41 AM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
Pinebear Offline
trapper

Loc: Pike County, Pa.
Guess I better stop picking up litter on my line and start setting it instead!

#3257536 - 08/04/12 07:35 AM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
CLT Offline
trapper

Loc: st. lawrence county ny
One of my favorite things to find is an old tire,bait inside the tire,a little lure and a trap to guard it.I have caught coyotes on discarded beer cans laying beside a road,some with lure or bait stuffed in them,some without.I had a spot with an old mowing machine where the coyotes were peeing on a tire,set that up and caught.Bait stuffed into the ends of pipes piled up,over the ends of dry culverts,just a smear of good lure on the edge of the culvert pipe and trap bedded up above.I always try and take advantage of situations like those mentioned.I have heard of the discarded diaper,never tried that one though.LOL

#3257538 - 08/04/12 07:35 AM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Pinebear]
CLT Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Pinebear
Guess I better stop picking up litter on my line and start setting it instead!

Just pick it up after you catch...LOL

#3257549 - 08/04/12 07:45 AM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
A word to the wise, keeping all things natural appearing at sets will result in a larger harvest. Many adult coyotes are quite wary, at least in my region and may stay away from something as unnatural and man made as a pop can or rubber tire. There is always exceptions to every rule!

#3257605 - 08/04/12 08:54 AM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
I tend to be more like Asa and try to be more natural with my flat sets.I like an old skull,leg bone or T-bone,a dropping,even a cow patty or horse apple,an old bird nest or wasp nest,a tree knot or old stump,an ant hill,fresh diggings,a slight depression or undercut in a bank,all located right on a trail with sign in an obvious or known location.

#3257669 - 08/04/12 10:06 AM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Asa Lenon]
CLT Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Asa Lenon
A word to the wise, keeping all things natural appearing at sets will result in a larger harvest. Many adult coyotes are quite wary, at least in my region and may stay away from something as unnatural and man made as a pop can or rubber tire. There is always exceptions to every rule!

I agree Asa, I would not bring in a tire to use but one that is lying there for a few years I will use it.The same with a beer can laying off the edge of a road,if it has been there for a few weeks it makes a handy attractor.I advocate keeping sets natural,always have and always will but I believe that an unnatural object in the woods,such as a tire,that has been there for a long while is natural to the local animals.I am not trying to argue with you,I just think something can be natural to the animals without actually being natural.LOL

#3257779 - 08/04/12 12:09 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper

Asa,

What in the world could be more natural than a piece of litter or other synthetic object that has a pile or two of coyote/fox turds already dumped on top of it?

I don't tote trash with me to the woods to make flat sets (with the exception of the tire rubber, etc. mentioned above.)

I realize your experience probably exceeds mine, but trust me..........down here yotes ain't scared of this stuff....they see it every day! I don't have any snow here but some of these sandy road allow easy tracking and coyotes, foxes and bcat while walking the road will go from side to side and visit every piece of trash along the road......peeing on some and crapping on others. It has been a no-brainer for me to set these objects.

No need to be 100% natural....I will catch them where they show me I can catch them!!

CLT.......you and I are on the same page.

Edited by Swamp Wolf (08/04/12 12:14 PM)

SWAMPWOLF

#3257787 - 08/04/12 12:13 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: jane, mo., usa
just about any thing that stands out to me is a potential set, I don't carry bones&such in, just use what is there

#3258291 - 08/04/12 07:52 PM Re: Flat Set Scent Object for Coyotes [Re: Swamp Wolf]
Pinebear Offline
trapper

Loc: Pike County, Pa.
Put something unnatural on a trail and critters will stay away from it for days...but remove it and soon they'll all come take a look and smell at where it used to be.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30