Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3247511 - 07/28/12 10:50 AM Top Lot Hats?
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
I think this has come up before, but I don't remember the details. Does NAFA still give hats for top lots? Got a certificate, but that's it. Just curious.

#3247744 - 07/28/12 02:22 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
Yes, NAFA still issues hats for Top Lot Sellers. You need to pick one up at a convention - they don't ship them.

Which sort of means you are out of luck. frown

#3247747 - 07/28/12 02:25 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
AKHowler Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks Alaska
I got a top lot too, kinda neat. Gotta cert in the mail yesterday. Hang'n it in the shop. Would like the hat but cannot make the convention.
Owner/Manufacturer and user of the Alaskan #9 Trap Company

#3247755 - 07/28/12 02:35 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
newhouse114 Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
I've got a small pile of the certificates...........but no hat!

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index

#3247774 - 07/28/12 02:54 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
I got my hat smile and pin....all I did was mention it to Abby in a letter when I shipped my fur in the next season and she was kind enough to ship it to me..of course mine was for several" actual for real" top lots..not the cracker jack kind they give everyone to make them feel good smile

#3247828 - 07/28/12 03:47 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
bctomcat Offline
trapper

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC Can
You should be able to pick your hat up from your shipping agent when you next ship furs or contact them. At least thats the way it's handled here.

#3248476 - 07/28/12 11:05 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
mad_mike Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast, Alaska
Funny, I almost pitched the envelope that had this years top lot cert. in it. I thought it was one of the NAFA magazines.... I didn't get my hats so I guess I need to follow up on this.

#3248534 - 07/29/12 12:19 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: mad_mike]
trapper ron Online   content
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
I can not be outdone by yukonjeff. smile

Not only that We have the pattern and the machine to make them. shocked

Yes anyone with a top lot can get a Top Lot Pin or hat from any NAFA booth at conventions. It is unusual for them to mail them out. yukonjeff must be special. crazy If Pete or I or both of us come to an event in Alaska next winter we will bring some.
NAFA Trapper Consultant

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

#3248543 - 07/29/12 12:37 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
If I remember right someone at the Fling in Fairbanks this year said there were toplot hats available there.

#3248675 - 07/29/12 07:56 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Bushman Offline
trapper

Loc: Alberta
I like top lot cheques the best!

#3248693 - 07/29/12 08:09 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
WBG Offline
trapper

Loc: ME.
I agree Bushman, everything else just Wumpum.

#3248918 - 07/29/12 10:49 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Akmike84 Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
I announced at the Fling this year that I had top lot hats available for anyone that was interested. Unless something changes I'll be doing the same thing next spring. I'll have them with me at the fling. I can ship a few out to bush guys that shipped through me, I don't have a list of top lots yet though. I don't know if the new hats next year will be different, but I have some left from last winter. Pm me if you shipped fur through me/got a top lot certificate and your off the road system and I'll try to get a hat to you. Thanks,
Mike

#3249093 - 07/29/12 01:41 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
sheephunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Wyoming
Ron,
I kind of have wondered if nafa just gives everyone a top lot to make them feel special. Seems like everyone is a top lotter. You know, just throw a couple marten in the top lot category. True or not true?
Thanks,
th

#3249102 - 07/29/12 01:49 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
From what I got in the marten category it appears 2006 is when Nafa could afford to turn it into a Certificate of Participation. In the end it is all meaningless. If I ain't lucky enough to catch a XXL dark heavy male and my pelt pealed off the pile of the rest of that grade, there will not be a Top Lot of the Auction coming my way. The Top Lot price, if you ship enough pelts ( at least in Marten) has little impact on the average.

Edited by Dirt (07/29/12 05:58 PM)

#3249434 - 07/29/12 06:38 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: sheephunter]
trapper

Originally Posted By: sheephunter
Ron,
I kind of have wondered if nafa just gives everyone a top lot to make them feel special. Seems like everyone is a top lotter. You know, just throw a couple marten in the top lot category. True or not true?
Thanks,
th

Not so. The pelts are graded and what fits in the top lot is what fits. The grader has no way of knowing which pelt belongs to any shipper. They all have scan tags on them, all in one pile, and they are scanned once grading and loting is done to determine owner for each skin in each lot.
NAFA Trapper Consultant

#3249556 - 07/29/12 07:58 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: sheephunter]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Ron,
Thanks,
th

What I'm telling you and what Jeff implied is there is the top lot for the species (which is what they used to give a certificate for) and now they give one for each section and apparently each size. Must have to mail thousands of them for coon and beaver. crazy

That is why it seems like everyone is getting one, because almost everyone is. Heck, I got seven and expected none.

#3249576 - 07/29/12 08:06 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: Dirt]
mad_mike Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Ron,
Thanks,
th

What I'm telling you and what Jeff implied is there is the top lot for the species (which is what they used to give a certificate for) and now they give one for each section and apparently each size. Must have to mail thousands of them for coon and beaver. crazy

That is why it seems like everyone is getting one, because almost everyone is. Heck, I got seven and expected none.
Maybe you are one of the special ones Dirt! Heck, I am happy to get a TL cert each year and good grades on my fur. I'll take more of those meaningless hats and certs!

#3249611 - 07/29/12 08:28 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Dirt Offline
trapper

It's all about the fur handling. wink Plus it doesn't hurt to post all the positive stuff about Nafa I always do. LOL

I can't help it if I am a big suck up. blush

#3249632 - 07/29/12 08:39 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

So if we take our TL Cert to Abby at Coastal Range will she have hats to give us? That might be doable. Getting to the fling this year was a luck out for me. Has anyone done that?

Edited by Family Trapper (07/29/12 08:39 PM)

#3249831 - 07/29/12 10:58 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Breakdown: 3 Top Lots for ermine.

Four for marten:

I XD-DBR LGE HVY 750096 $120
I XD-DBR XL SEMI 750209 $135
I XD-DBR XXL SEMI 750181 $140
I DK-DBR XL SEMI 850077 $120

So if you want a Top Lot Marten you have to be where there are black ones, come in three sizes, and two qualities. If you want to have higher averages you have to trap where the marten average larger and grade heavy. There are guys on here from the interior that averaged the average of those four Top Lots and may not have even got one Top Lot Certificate. wink

In Marten Heaven they are all XD-DBR XXL HVY.

#3249834 - 07/29/12 11:00 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: Family Trapper]
trapper

This is what I posted on the Trapper Talk side of the board:

Top lots are awarded for the top lot or promotional lot for each of the major species. Besides that in the beaver there is top lot for each section in L, XL, and XXL. For marten top lot overall then top lot for Hvy AND SemHvy and in L, XL, and XXL. Rats overall top price and then top for each section. For coon it is the top lot and the top lot of each section. Fox and coyotes the same.

Hope that answers some questions.

So with marten, Alaska, Yukon,and NWT, having most of the best in North America, the trappers there have more chances of marten in the to lots.
NAFA Trapper Consultant

#3249840 - 07/29/12 11:06 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
I'm calling Abby tomorrow.... smile

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3249851 - 07/29/12 11:19 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
COLD HAND Offline
trapper

Loc: PA.BEAVER.CO
I had 4 Top Lot Possums and got nothing! I guess i'll just throw them in the ditch from now on!

#3249852 - 07/29/12 11:24 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: COLD HAND]
trapper

Originally Posted By: COLD HAND
I had 4 Top Lot Possums and got nothing! I guess i'll just throw them in the ditch from now on!

Well you did much better than these Alaskan trappers, none of them had possum in the top lot. smile
NAFA Trapper Consultant

#3249870 - 07/29/12 11:53 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Pete Offline
trapper

Loc: Okanagan Valley BC Canada
I agree with both Ron and Dirt. Top lots are earned, they are not given away. A prime well handled pelt is often rewarded by a Top Lot. Those that recieve a top lot should wear their hats and pins with pride for those of us in the business know and respect what that individual did to earn that hat.

#3249875 - 07/30/12 12:13 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: Pete]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Pete
I agree with both Ron and Dirt. Top lots are earned, they are not given away. A prime well handled pelt is often rewarded by a Top Lot. Those that recieve a top lot should wear their hats and pins with pride for those of us in the business know and respect what that individual did to earn that hat.

Pete I work just as hard to trap, and handle the pelts with just as much care on a III LGE 5 SEMI XP. Top Lot pelts are grown in the field, all I can do is ruin them, but I can't make them.

#3250131 - 07/30/12 10:34 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Akmike84 Offline
trapper

LOL, I got a kick out of that comment Dirt. Your right though, no matter how good you are at putting up for, if you don't have good fur to begin with its not going to make a top lot pelt. Works the other way around too though, lots of trappers destroy beautiful top end pelts in the way they handle them. Its getting better though, seems with internet and this site in particular its not near as common to see butchered fur as it was 10 years ago.
Mike

#3250158 - 07/30/12 11:03 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: Akmike84]
Sniperone Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Pennsyltucky
I got a Top Lot certificate on a Eastern Grey fox this year. Caught him in November and stretched him on wire. Pretty neat, but I would like a Hat!

#3250189 - 07/30/12 11:39 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: Sniperone]
trapper

"prime well handled pelt" as stated by Pete are the two primary factors.

"Top Lot pelts are grown in the field, all I can do is ruin them"as stated by Dirt is also very true.

I have to agree that a prime pelt can be ruined and many are in the handling. Over the years there have been tremendous improvements in fur handling and fur handling techniques. It is unfortunate that there are still many trappers who will not change, argue that black is white, and there is only way of doing things. There is no doubt that the better you handle your pelts, up to a degree, means more money in your pocket. Even a bad damage coyote with a big hole can be improved to damage with some washing and sewing.

I have stated in the past and will again that I am very opposed to wire fur forms for the long haired furs. There is too much chance of ruining a pelt, specially if the pelt is put on fur side out. Also if the pelt is not properly dried before turning. Having said that there are trappers who know the drawbacks and can make a very good job on wire if done properly. It is just that for the most part there is too much chance for error and too many want to short cut the process.

My thoughts for what they are worth.
NAFA Trapper Consultant

#3250873 - 07/30/12 08:43 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
I wear my Top Lot hat with pride!!! Don't really care what it brought price wise, was a feather in my cap for how I handle the pelts, and take pride in my work (plus, respect for the catch).

Got mine at the convention.

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3250976 - 07/30/12 09:34 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: Alaskan]
trapper

Now I see what you guys mean. Just about anyone can get one. smile smile smile

Joking aside ..good on you Alkaskan. Do you have the pin also ? I also wear mine with pride, had to look for my pin though. Never noticed that they were dated before just now. What I have is one of the blue hats that were stenciled which gets really badly abused and the mossy oak one which is my go to town one. cool
NAFA Trapper Consultant

#3251060 - 07/30/12 10:46 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

I want to wear a Top Lot hat to the next Board of Game meeting, which for my area will be held in Sitka in January. I have 3 proposals before them, two of which are trapping oriented. I want to have that hat on when I do the presentation, and I can assure you that I will be proud to have it on my noggin. I wish everyone that got one could be right there with me. Might be a good statement and all. Thanks NAFA. I like it.

#3251111 - 07/30/12 11:44 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: alaska viking
I wish everyone that got one could be right there with me.

Being a former AC chair, that is the worst thing I could ever think to wish on another person. You may be the meanest person alive. smile

#3251118 - 07/30/12 11:52 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: Dirt]
trapper

Maybe Akmike can mail you one before then. And do you also have the pins Mike?
NAFA Trapper Consultant

#3251134 - 07/31/12 12:58 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
sheephunter Offline
trapper

Thanks Ron,
and everyone else. I weasled a few in there. I just wondered. It would be really neat to see how it all goes down with the grading and all. Must be quite the process.

#3251252 - 07/31/12 07:28 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: Akmike84]
Seldom Offline
trapper

Loc: Midland, MI
Originally Posted By: Akmike84
LOL, I got a kick out of that comment Dirt. Your right though, no matter how good you are at putting up for, if you don't have good fur to begin with its not going to make a top lot pelt. Works the other way around too though, lots of trappers destroy beautiful top end pelts in the way they handle them. Its getting better though, seems with internet and this site in particular its not near as common to see butchered fur as it was 10 years ago.
Mike

Yup.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but you can make a sow's ear out of a silk purse!

#3251428 - 07/31/12 09:57 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

I once saw a silk worm race. They ended up in a tie. laugh

#3251648 - 07/31/12 01:08 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
sheephunter Offline
trapper

I will try to get the hat and other swag from my fur collector. Never miss a chance to advocate the benefits of trapping.

#3251719 - 07/31/12 01:56 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Ron- when a guy sends in 90+ cats in a year...he's bound to get lucky one one of them. smile

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3256628 - 08/03/12 03:00 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Got my TWO top lot awards in the mail while I was gone. One for Marten and one for Ermine. Need to get me my hat and pin now..... smile

-TJ

#3257153 - 08/03/12 08:45 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Akmike84 Offline
trapper

Ron,

I don't have any pins. Just top lot hats and a few scarves.

Jimmy... Go over to Kevins. He has some, I left them with him a few months ago.

Mike

#3257300 - 08/03/12 10:03 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Thanks Mike.

-TJ

#3259345 - 08/05/12 04:34 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Well my friend TrapperMax was headed to the convention so I emailed him a photo of my TopLot Cert.

He was able to get my hat. No Pin however. One way to get it.

#3263293 - 08/08/12 06:54 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
I didnt get a pin for 2011 and 2012, I did get a hat for 2012, however. how do I get the pins? they must,ve forgot at the NAFA booth, the 2012 pin wasn't in my bag with the hat.

I wear the pins on my cowboy hat, and would like to get them. I only didnt get top lot in 2009

#3263762 - 08/08/12 02:15 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Len, we had one in that lot also.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3263770 - 08/08/12 02:19 PM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Pins were at the convention right with the hats.

Edited by Kusko (08/08/12 02:32 PM)

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3272595 - 08/14/12 12:21 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: Akmike84]
Horn Offline
trapper

Loc: Beaman Iowa 47
Originally Posted By: Akmike84
Ron,

I don't have any pins. Just top lot hats and a few scarves.

Jimmy... Go over to Kevins. He has some, I left them with him a few months ago.

Mike

Sounds interesting.

I did not know they had Scarves.

I Have plenty of hats and pins,

But No scarves.

Edited by Horn (08/14/12 12:22 AM)

#3272621 - 08/14/12 01:16 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: alaska viking]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
I had my top lot lynx this year with FHA I didnt get a top lot hat just the $330.

#3272674 - 08/14/12 05:41 AM Re: Top Lot Hats? [Re: yukonjeff]
Sniperone Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Pennsyltucky
Will anyone have the hats at the upcoming New York State Convention?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >