ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bats in the corner #3240716
07/24/12 09:31 AM
07/24/12 09:31 AM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline OP
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline OP
trapper
D

A while back we all exchanged ideas about discouraging bats from roosting in a corner, well I've got another one. This client doean't want any temporary fixs such as flash tape and fans or hot pepper spray or anything else we discussed last time. Has anybody tried BIRDSLIDE in a corner to discouage bats?

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3241407
07/24/12 04:37 PM
07/24/12 04:37 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Yes

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Bats in the corner [Re: trapper4hire] #3241533
07/24/12 05:53 PM
07/24/12 05:53 PM
D
trapper
trapper
D

Originally Posted By: trapper4hire
Yes

And did it work? confused

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3241767
07/24/12 08:13 PM
07/24/12 08:13 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Ive used it a couple times, mostly it has worked. has worked the best in locations where the siding/ceiling were not textured enough to allow them to grab below or beside the slide/flashing. Like there was a piece of trim they were grabbing or a seam. If it is stuco or brick I wouldnt count on it working. Vinyl or aluminum you stand a good chance of being succesful.

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3241998
07/24/12 10:00 PM
07/24/12 10:00 PM
South Central Illinois
F
Frank Bates Offline
trapper
Frank Bates  Offline
trapper
F

South Central Illinois
I ran into a spot like you are talking about Dave. They were hanging in the corner and the guano was collecting on top of the stone. Notice the black smudge up next to the soffit. They were hanging on to the F channel on the soffit. Ron Scheller gave me the idea. I put a 8 x 8 inch piece of brown aluminum flat stock up against the soffit. On two sides I slid it between the top of the siding and the F channel. Now there is no F channel to grab and hang on to. So far there is no guano underneath any more.

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3242510
07/25/12 09:24 AM
07/25/12 09:24 AM
D
trapper
trapper
D

Frank that is almost what I'm dealing with, the siding in your picture is exactly it but I don't have a channel at the top. The ceiling on mine is plywood with a 1x1 trimming the joint. Having that 1x1 to deal with make it a little more difficult to trim with sheet stock. Do you trim only the corner or the entire area? Now here's something I should have asked the panel and probably should know the answer. Do bats roost on the ceiling or from the wall normally? I've never seen them actually there and neither has the customer, she's even gotten up at all hours of the night and never seen them.

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3242699
07/25/12 12:17 PM
07/25/12 12:17 PM
South Central Illinois
F
Frank Bates Offline
trapper
Frank Bates  Offline
trapper
F

South Central Illinois
I only put the flat stock in the corner where the guano was coming from. I am going to monitor this house to see if the bats use another area. So far they have not. There are other corners in this porch they can use. That pile of guano in the picture is from several months accumulation. The house is bat free but I believe a single bat or two is landing in the corner to digest their food during the night and then moving on to their roost some where else.

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3242772
07/25/12 01:16 PM
07/25/12 01:16 PM
northeast MI
dew Offline
trapper
dew  Offline
trapper

northeast MI
Have you used what they call tanglefoot it's a deterrent for bird roosting . it's come in a tube like caulk and it's clear and is very sticky. just run a bead at the corner or smear some around the roosting area.

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: dew] #3242904
07/25/12 03:02 PM
07/25/12 03:02 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Originally Posted By: dew
Have you used what they call tanglefoot it's a deterrent for bird roosting . it's come in a tube like caulk and it's clear and is very sticky. just run a bead at the corner or smear some around the roosting area.

I see that stuff everywhere full of pigeon feathers, droppings and in general looking like a black mess. While its used for birds I would never recommend that for bats, if it is viscous enough it's likely going to act as a huge bat trap or at the least end up on them where as mammals they will groom it off or try to and either die due to ingestion or due to trying to fly with the weight of all that product fooled up on them.

I've had this same question multiple times and have never seen a pro suggest this.

Please don't use "tanglefoot" or anything like it, stick to the slick sides ideas which arent meant to kill bats but actually deter them.

Justin

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3243151
07/25/12 05:14 PM
07/25/12 05:14 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Well it's been many years so I can't really remember, but isn't Tanglefoot how I got married in the first place?

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3243157
07/25/12 05:16 PM
07/25/12 05:16 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Tanglefoot is a waste of money and messy. Only a short term no alternative fix.Flashing provides a non attach surface material that if installed properly is the final answer to external resting / roosting bats.

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3243190
07/25/12 05:32 PM
07/25/12 05:32 PM
D
trapper
trapper
D

Well call me unprofessional but I keep a case of Tanglefoot or similar in stock. There is a trend here to design every office building and strip mall with phony timbered entry ways. Clients here will not pay the price of netting, shock track or useless spike strips. I have almost worn out a typewriter making quotes for netting and shock track. Bird gel used sparingly works very well for me, the key work sparingly, but I would never use it for anything but birds.
Reading all the advise here I think what I'm going to do is cut a sheet of metal (I'll make a cardboard template first) about 24x24 and fit it into the corner at an angle that takes the whole corner away so I don't have to try and trim the 1x1 out. This corner requires a 24 foot ladder to reach so it won't really be noticed. Wish I was high tech enough to give you a picture.
Paul you probably ended up married because you followed your one eyed monster and did what ever it told you to do. grin

Last edited by DAVE SALYS-CWCP; 07/25/12 05:55 PM.
Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3243227
07/25/12 05:53 PM
07/25/12 05:53 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
would using "tangle foot" or similar product on bats be an off label usage and there for a no no?

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3243312
07/25/12 06:32 PM
07/25/12 06:32 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

How about plexiglass?

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3244120
07/26/12 01:35 AM
07/26/12 01:35 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Dave,

While I don't like the product, I was only saying unprofessional regarding using this on bats which you've stated you haven't ever.

I definitely feel your pain on doing plenty of bids where folks won't go for the better solutions due to cost. In my area much of
the bird work is on adobe/stucco exteriors and most of them are flat roofs, though many are again spanish tile roof types. I have
seen all over this state where operators whether pest control or wildlife have employed the tanglefoot type products and the result
at least here in my climate is nothing I'd even ever "stick" my name to.

I've done many exclusions on homes where the people tried these options and it physically ruined their stucco and exterior to
the point of no cleaning and to boot, the birds are on hand still thumbing their.....ummm....beaks at them.

I try to use the best product that will provide long lasting effect yet keep the cost down. Bird wire is often overlooked yet it
is far lower cost than spike and flex and other products and depending on the exterior is fairly simple and quick to install. I
always show clients all the products I could use to solve their problem in my bid and let them choose based on price and
aesthetic needs or other variables (warranty, etc..)

Sorry to highjack the thread,

Back to the tanglefoot for bats question about label, if the product isn't labeled for pigeons then I doubt you'd get an off label
fine, though I still think using it for bats shouldn't be an option.

Justin

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: ] #3244296
07/26/12 08:58 AM
07/26/12 08:58 AM
D
trapper
trapper
D

Originally Posted By: DaveK
How about plexiglass?

Outstanding idea!

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3244496
07/26/12 11:39 AM
07/26/12 11:39 AM
northeast MI
dew Offline
trapper
dew  Offline
trapper

northeast MI
Don't kill the messenger! I have not use it my self for bats. I have used it for birds with very good results. I do classify my self as a professional. The comment on the use of tanglefoot was just a suggestion even though it's not the one you would use or like. I run into custimors all the time that DO NOT want anything stuck to the side of there homes that is going to be a eye sour. tin flashing, hardware cloth, to include exclud-er tube Like some on here that call them selves professionals. That will put up a tube and leave it and not go back to take it down. or even worse yet put up glue boards in the attics or fly strip. But yet these are the same one that criticise me for trapping bat and removing them alive. Even though I DO NOT TRAP BATS ON EVER JOB. That is just another method I can use.

Last edited by dew; 07/26/12 11:47 AM.
Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3244566
07/26/12 12:24 PM
07/26/12 12:24 PM
northeast MI
dew Offline
trapper
dew  Offline
trapper

northeast MI
Originally Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP
A while back we all exchanged ideas about discouraging bats from roosting in a corner, well I've got another one. This client doean't want any temporary fixs such as flash tape and fans or hot pepper spray or anything else we discussed last time. Has anybody tried BIRDSLIDE in a corner to discouage bats?

I think the key words are Exchange Ideas about Discouraging bats from roosting in a corner. I suggested Tanglefoot now we are not talking about pterodactyls It's a bat there for you use a every small amount thin layer. If You don't like the idea or the suggestion fine leave it at that don't use it. I have been in business for all most 25 years and YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL.

Re: Bats in the corner [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3245728
07/26/12 11:40 PM
07/26/12 11:40 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I don't know how you'd apply Tanglefoot in a thin layer, coming in a caulk tube or a bucket. There is a sticky product that is sprayable. Any of these materials will become black with dust accumulation over time.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Bats in the corner [Re: Dave Schmidt] #3247123
07/27/12 11:29 PM
07/27/12 11:29 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I wouldn't use tanglefoot but I do believe Dew to be a professional and thank him for his input. Dave if I make it to Minnasota I will bring about a case to trade for something that you don't use or I'll give it to you for your sharing your knowledge. It has been a long time since I used it but it seems one jobs where I have followed it's use it seems worse than the original problem and harder to clean up.
I think any slick material will stop the loafing of these bats and can't think of anything any better than suggested. I think the bird slide could work but it would be more expensive than necessary.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread