ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: Woodgoat] #3233190
07/19/12 02:49 PM
07/19/12 02:49 PM
Portsmouth Va.
A
aprophet Offline
trapper
aprophet  Offline
trapper
A

Portsmouth Va.
Originally Posted By: Woodgoat
This is a small man made pond with very small creek feeding it. About 2 acres. I have multiple sets out (7). All 330. I can't use foothold traps. Slides are everywhere but nothing is just fresh. I know beaver is there because trees are getting stripped of bark nightly. One small lodge. when you get close to lodge beaver ALWAYS bust out of there and hugs bank and never gets out of water. I could easily shoot the beaver. Land owners swears it will not fit in the 330 but I know it will. I have tried castor mounds, blind sets and traps on culverts. Lures I have used are backbreaker, woodchipper, and beaver plus. I really haven't found much feeding in pond. I'm starting to get a little frustrated with this ole beaver. Help please.

A Coupla Nutria will do this too smile

I TRAP PETA'S FRONT PORCH

Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: Woodgoat] #3236871
07/22/12 12:14 AM
07/22/12 12:14 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

If you can't use anything but 330s, you're screwed. They are lure shy, 330 shy, and won't respond to any lure. Even a 330 in front of the den or lodge will most likely be minimally successful. This sounds like a beaver that will not approach anything that is new to its environment. If you can't blind set with footholds, you have a tough row to hoe...

Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: aprophet] #3236876
07/22/12 12:16 AM
07/22/12 12:16 AM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted By: aprophet
This is a small man made pond with very small creek feeding it. About 2 acres. I have multiple sets out (7). All 330. I can't use foothold traps. Slides are everywhere but nothing is just fresh. I know beaver is there because trees are getting stripped of bark nightly. One small lodge. when you get close to lodge beaver ALWAYS bust out of there and hugs bank and never gets out of water. I could easily shoot the beaver. Land owners swears it will not fit in the 330 but I know it will. I have tried castor mounds, blind sets and traps on culverts. Lures I have used are backbreaker, woodchipper, and beaver plus. I really haven't found much feeding in pond. I'm starting to get a little frustrated with this ole beaver. Help please.

A Coupla Nutria will do this too smile

I've never experienced nutria stripping bark from established trees. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I've never seen it. I have had them dig up freshly planted cypress seedlings and eat the root. I figured this was because of whatever the nursery was using to fertilize the seedlings...

Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: Woodgoat] #3238768
07/23/12 09:28 AM
07/23/12 09:28 AM
Canton, MS
W
Woodgoat Offline OP
trapper
Woodgoat  Offline OP
trapper
W

Canton, MS
Have caught seval tiny beavers. The only trees being hit are sweeet gums too. But a lot of them

Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: ritrapper] #3239024
07/23/12 12:38 PM
07/23/12 12:38 PM

C
Caleb Matthews
Unregistered
Caleb Matthews
Unregistered
C

X2 Also you might want to try pure beaver sac oil on a set to.

Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: Woodgoat] #3239257
07/23/12 02:54 PM
07/23/12 02:54 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Have caught seval tiny beavers. The only trees being hit are sweeet gums too. But a lot of them

Use the castor of those tiny beaver. the parents will be more attracted to it than any other castor, I have used this trick on shy beavs in the past with good luck. beaver can tell the difference in the scent of the castor from one beav to another, and the smell of those missing pups will be very attractive to momma.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: Woodgoat] #3242038
07/24/12 10:13 PM
07/24/12 10:13 PM
Nashville, Tennessee
J
John Pearson Offline
trapper
John Pearson  Offline
trapper
J

Nashville, Tennessee
Finished up a beaver job in Nashville last week. It was nearly 100 degrees every day but I always wear waders ( just have to pour out the sweat after each use smirk ) and run traps around 7:30am. I used straight poplar oil to catch the last one but I'm able to set footholds. Have you seen foot prints to determine the size of the beaver? Too much castor at a set might repel it.

John
Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: Woodgoat] #3242877
07/25/12 02:41 PM
07/25/12 02:41 PM
ohio
T
tadpole! Offline
trapper
tadpole!  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
as paul stated-ur dealing with a smart beaver now. try makeing a blind set - such as a crawl out-useing a peeled stick or 2 WITHOUT lure. use a *bright* wood,such as maple if possible,(its color is really visible for a few days and doesnt fade out quickly). if no response after a couple days THEN try a food lure with new sticks(simply to freshen color).perhaps try a different food lure. dobbins lures are top notch but even beaver shy away from a high quality lure such as Backbreaker,Beaver Plus,and Woodchipper IF theyve had bad experiences associated to the lure (such as seeing their own floating dead in a trap or haveing a trap snapped on themselves). with the amount of beaver youve caught,im sure this has happened. this is how we get *trapshy* beaver.im surprised u cant catch the beaver in a crossover set on the bottom side of dam leading downstream(since you are limited to conibears i mean). perhaps try a castor mound with a different castor lure.as a last resort go to the house and get it over with. it really sucks youre limited to conibears. you may want to beg the landowner to let u use other traps or snares.explain to them that u may not be able to finish the job because u are so limited to your options.what ever u decide to do,if u catch (or shoot)another beaver, make sure u rip out a hole in the dam to make sure u have got all beaver.

those who throw dirt,lose ground.
Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: Woodgoat] #3244324
07/26/12 09:23 AM
07/26/12 09:23 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
If you can set snares go with them. the snare set on a scent pole set is deadly use a food smell that you have not used yet. do not use any castor. also I have taken Lilly pad roots and wired them to a scent pole and peeled back for color contrast.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Problem Beaver. Help Please [Re: Paul Dobbins] #3244936
07/26/12 04:30 PM
07/26/12 04:30 PM
Portsmouth Va.
A
aprophet Offline
trapper
aprophet  Offline
trapper
A

Portsmouth Va.
I should have checked what type trees they were but they were really young trees and girded I have only seen this down by south mills moyock state line area after I caught the nutes the damage stopped they may have been fertilizing the young trees I am not sure

I TRAP PETA'S FRONT PORCH

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread