Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3257338 - 08/03/12 10:33 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
I MIGHT have some clean once fired 45-70 cases if you need them

#3257448 - 08/04/12 03:27 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Possibly Trader Steve, i've yet to get dies, press, primers, and a crap ton of other things. Maybe after PFD Time. Thanks Though White17.

#3257859 - 08/04/12 01:33 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ind
im always getting dies and stuff in trades,for little of nothing.be glad to help you yukon,and anser any an all questions you may have,just so nice to talk to people with same interests.rite now im working over the crow population for trapping bait.ground up crow meat great canine bait.using old 870 hi brass #4s today not great,yesterday was awesome.i try to keep busy,with something outdoors much as can.

#3257964 - 08/04/12 03:01 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Right on Trader Steve, this fall i hope to get out alot more. I have august bird hunts then moose hunting. So it should be alot of fun. Jus see how it go's after work hours. I have no more time off through september. Thats sounds fun Crow hunting, Ravens are protected over here. I want to bring the fox pro out and try it in some close by areas and see what i can bring in. Maybe when i get home i'll have ten days to get back into routine.

#3258455 - 08/04/12 09:44 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

Awesome crows are pest here but have a season.so ya have to buy hunting license,i use my old johnny stewart with tapes had 25yrs works great,i would like to have remote controlled caller.you cant go wrong with foxpro,my buddy has one.so are you a guide yukon,crow hunting either fast pace or boring as crap.where i live very few quail.few grouse alot turkeys.not many rabbits to many hawks an owls that are protected the birds out kill the canines.them 3.5s with 2shot great canine after dark round.

#3258524 - 08/04/12 10:43 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Nope, not a guide. Jus a guy who likes to play in the woods. Wish i was. Almost signed with a master guide to run Black Bear Bait Sites through his license. But in the end i don't have all that much free time aside from work to run sites for spring and fall seasons. I have Two Johnny Stewart callers and about 30 some tapes, garage sales and friends. Never used them yet. Figured i'd try the fox pro to give me distance from my stands. Can't wait till November to try the caller out.
I was thinking about some kinda Container to keep my electorics warm. Tired of having it all inside my coat. I carry 2- Uniden Atlantis Radio's and 4 battery packs, one cell phone, camera, head cam and my Caller. Usually have them inside my coat to keep the batteries warm. Was thinking about a padded foam zip closed camera bag then add a bunch of them chemical heat pads inside. bad part is it'll take alot of hand warmer pads for the winter...

Edited by yukontrapper (08/04/12 10:48 PM)

#3259026 - 08/05/12 12:05 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

Styrofoam container.old live bait buckets,up there im sure zap batteries fast,here in Nov still in 50s JAN FEB coldiest times.thats when i hunt,trap.the most fur is prime.i carry caller wheatlite spot lite skinning knives,my rifle and shotgun.i do lot of hunting with thompson contender.22hornet,223.deer i use 35rem and 7-30waters,45-70.the thompson is a day time gun.large black is one of animals id love to get.a brown to but i just can not see paying that much.to shoot something.my friend took a polar bear and musk ox in 2005.all dog sled hunt,and he waited 10yrs to get a tag.but he also hunts all over the world.avid sheep hunter.brown bear got hold of him in canada with a grand slam sheep while on horse back packing it out.but he healed up an going again he 76yrs old said he hunt sheep till he cant walk.what kind of work do you do up there yukon!

#3259242 - 08/05/12 03:11 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Yea, i think the only option and one less container maybe jus inside my jacket. Hard to beat the cold out here during the winter. I've never hunted other parts of alaska. Jus around my lil home town. I also yet to get other big game. I want to go out caribou hunting and to get a interior Griz. Very cool your ole friend gets to get out there and get them. I am a Cargo Handler for Era Alaska.

#3260167 - 08/06/12 06:52 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yask65 Offline
trapper

Loc: saginaw texas
so yukontrapper are you a tv star also ?

#3260322 - 08/06/12 09:40 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

yes it is that he,can do it.caribou is good eating sheep very good also.took off yesterday went bought a S&W model 34 22.my new used trapping pistol.are caribou close to your home.im still stuck on a wolf.the hunter of the hunters.just something about them.wolverine be my second choice.only big game i have taken is deer and hogs.black bear would be fine with me.your town is little mine 40 people scattered out.bigger town walmart an such 25 miles away.

#3260669 - 08/06/12 03:14 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Haha nope, jus a guy who loads the planes. I'll have to go out North 70 miles then 30 miles West for caribou. I always wanted to get 4-5 guys and take off on Snowmachines and hunt and come back. Be a good trip. But seems by mid winter budgets always get tight. Our goal for wolves is Ten, for a group of three trappers and hunters. If we get Ten from our 3 lines we are good. Helps our moose population. The last 2 years we got 14 and the year prior was 13. I think getting Ten keeps the population some what in check. We get between 3-5 wolverine a year. But the Prize i want to get would have to be the Interior Griz. I always see there sign but i haven't seen one in years. I saw a sow and cubs years ago then i hunted a moose kill before was a few years back but he was long gone. I was looking at the Ruger .308 Scout nice little gun.

Edited by yukontrapper (08/06/12 04:03 PM)

#3261527 - 08/06/12 11:24 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

The scout be perfect for snow machine,308 is an awesome round i have a rem 700 LTR lite tactial rifle an O my it will out shoot me.load up for big game down for varmints grat all around cailber.id love to get griz just the thought of the cost.im very frugal or as my boy tells me just tite.moose is animal i would like to hunt.several friends went up to canada an took some nice ones.if you can find one rem model 7,7mm08 would be very good for you also,very accurate round my brother has one, mine is 223.i rebarreled it with shilen barrel very lite an deadly.i have several 22cailbers an 6mms my all around favorite is my 270.100gr hps great coyote load.how much is gas in the village and how do they get it there.i want to explore alaska just something about it that draws me.be awesome see pack of wolves in the wild.looks like to me any kill site or gut pile be good i dont know why i ask questions.an learn.

#3261574 - 08/07/12 01:02 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Any fuel is expensive, $7.85 for unlead at the pump, Heating Fuel at the distibutor is i think $6.50. All fuel products are barged in. All Natural moose kill site are an almost a surefire way to catch them. Nothing but snares and set aways back from the site. They are always cautious going into them. I've yet to boil all my snares and get them hung out of the weather away from everything. I just boil in baking soda till they are grey and not shiny then take them out and hang them up. I've yet to see a pack of wolves. But i have heard of folks running into them out in the middle of the yukon and catching them. I once ran down a Blue Phase female and caught it with my mini-14. Its hanging in my living room. My most favored wolf pistol is my Taurus Stainless .22 Mag 9 shot Revolver. It took alot of wolves from my dad and I. I really want to get the Ruger Pro Hunter .22 mag. Jus need to do more side jobs to afford it before winter.

#3262219 - 08/07/12 02:57 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

HOW long have you had the taurus,and what is your personal op. on it have had friends that had them.22mag is great round i have ruger 22 22mag and a S&W 48 had couple chances to trade for taurus.and still may how do you like the mini-14 im not much on autos,in rifles built several AR15s for friends that were tack drivers.my personal favorite is my M-14 308.springfield,just a target rifle.what about hunting over moose kills,or that a waste of time.i bet the blue female is pretty.and the snares you use are they not killer,also if you were out trapping and ran into a pack are you allowed to shoot them.and when using regular steel traps how do you deal with the snow.do you just work part time in winter.that gas price is unreal to me 4.00 gallon here and were crying about it.

#3262306 - 08/07/12 03:54 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

I've had my Taurus for about 5 years and my dad a couple prior to me buying it. From what i read ya win some you lose some when it comes to Taurus Rimfire Pistols. I've never had a problem with mine so far. I like mine only with Solid ammo, meaning nothing Hollow Point in any rim fire ammo. Only if jus for plinking with the kids. I've had several Mini-14's over the years and like them for anything under a hundred yards. About all it is decently accurate too. Hold on fur its dead. Thats what i got my first wolf with. Had a leupold on top of it. I really like the Mini-14 action, jus plain tough. It is always on my back everytime i am out on the machine. Finally got a KMini-14 .223 and settled on that. Did have an offer for a stainless one, maybe if i can get it in trade i'll take that offer. I never got into the AR craze but wouldn't mind trying the R15 .223
I have a buddy who got 3 wolves sitting on a lake all night waitin on the wolves to cross to a moose kill. Every hour they tried to cross and he got 3 that night till he called it quits. Only works in the bright moonlight. He dug out a hole in the snow, sat inside, covered with canvas. Then waited. I personally will rather set snares on moose kills. You are allowed to shoot wolves jus as long your not shooting from a moving snowmachine. You have to be stopped and not standing on the machine. Dealing with wolf traps, seems i always have to reset often because of snow and drifting snow. Nope i work full time on a 4/10 schedule so I have a few extra days to run the line while the kids are at school.

Edited by yukontrapper (08/07/12 03:57 PM)

#3263741 - 08/08/12 02:01 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

YUKON-T,you have talked me into trying the taurus.i heard same stories the ARs i built were tack drivers im just not auto man.i have model 48 S&W 22mag old an mint shape dont want to carry it all the time.so is there a limit on wolves up there.MINIs are very tuff any thing bill ruger made was.i have a single six had since i was 11 bluing all gone an shiny.are snow machines expensive up there.the 223 round is hard to beat.i would not be afraid to use it on any thing.if given time to make the shot.have you ever done any seal hunting,seen where there skins brought a nice price.im really gona try using snares more this year easier to carry. we have alot fences around where animals have to go under.i have been doing mods base plates jaws the works.was funny i seen on another post where you had stated your grand pa,had used metal tubing for heavy duty swivels.thats all i have ever used when i was still working lot of it around and was free.i dont buy much as tools an such.piece of rod with nut welded on top makes super duty rivet for swivels.i can say for sure i am lerning alot,from you.

#3263911 - 08/08/12 03:45 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

I bought a Blued Taurus .22 LR from a friend but had a hard time finding parts for it. I called the Customer service number and left messages (bout 5 times) and never had a call returned. So i gave it to my lil brother and we learned how to shoot it with no rear site. So thats why i say it hit or miss. My .22 Mag Taurus needs a dozer to pull the trigger though, but when i pull the hammer back into place it has a decent enough trigger. So i don't use the double action on it. I am way in the interior, we don't get any coastal wildlife. IMO as a trapper you have to learn to use both snare and traps to become effective. Each have their place to use them. Where i am located there is no limit on wolves ya take. may only apply if yo u have a trophy tag in the Fall tima and are hunting using a Non resident tag in the Game Managament units.

#3265193 - 08/09/12 01:05 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

Take your pistol to any good gunsmith.almost the same inter workings as a smith.should not cost much to get it polished.an smoothed up.your not the first thats happened to.i want to be the best trapper. i can be this be first time in along time. i have done any water trapping and looking forward to it.trapping here has issues at times.lot of coon hunters running there dogs places there not supposed to be at then mad. dog got in trap or snare it is called tresspassing.i have to have a signed form from land owner to trap.but at nite there goes my trap or snare.most honest people around come get me up if dog is caught.everybody around knows i trap.and where.is there several trappers an wolf hunters in your village-area.do you have issuses with other trappers on lines you trap.

#3267383 - 08/10/12 04:26 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Thats cool, i am only half way decent at under the ice beaver snaring. Caught maybe 15 or so. Thats the only trapping with water i have done. There are alot of hunters/trappers here. We all know where each other go's. Jus respect each others area then your good. Once and awhle we have trouble with Joy riding snowmachiners, but after you tell them your trapping the area they don't go near you sets. One time we had trouble with other trappers thinking they can take over this area. But after awhile it was resovled. Overall there are maybe 10 people who try to catch wolves each winter. Maybe some day i'll get my .22 mag polished. Jus got home, man good to be home. Water tanks empty, equipment tore down the internet/phone lines. Jus got everything back up and running. Oh yea scored a 18 gun metal gun case, guess i have to save up to fill it!

#3267620 - 08/10/12 06:56 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

Thats great they respect ya.they dont here.guy tried to run me off my own farm didnt work well for him.man that wasnt good knock your stuff out,what kind of cabinet did you get.do you have to stay away from home while working.always good to have full cabinet.i have three safes got 2 used won other in raffle.were getting lot of small storms.doesnt take nothing here knock power out. its 75deg been over a hundred past 15days i cnt take the heat. got that model 34 smith cleaned up and glad i got it o my it was nasty not been cleaned forever crud an rust all came off.we never have enough ice to learn to trap or snare under it.i would love to trap up north one winter.and learn how pros do it.is there alot of tourist come to your village.want to use snares alot more and learn them i catch on quick.and love to learn.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >