Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3244135 - 07/26/12 01:02 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Very cool, building your own Shooting Irons. I've yet to get a custom gun, maybe down the road when the kids are raised. I traded off quite a few, and gave some to my brothers over the years. Really only need a couple good guns and your set here. I wouldn't mind getting a Burris Scout scope at some point for my Guide gun. But for now, Ghost rings :-) Yea gonna be interesting trying to get this pred calling figured out this winter. But it should be fun. Something new to try.

#3244607 - 07/26/12 11:49 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ind
I would love to be there my son turns 18 in april.thats when in going to decide what im going to do.theres nothing like a rifle u build yourself that shoots,well building them myself is only way i can afford them.good barrel 300to500 dollars.all my tools i have made myself.i would just love to call in wolf,or trap one.just something exciting about them like i have a quest to get one.as for guns up there id just take a varmint rifle and 444 or 45-70.large magnum bolt gun and my 17HMR and for dang sure my 629S&W.do you have any or use large bore handguns.

#3245815 - 07/26/12 11:24 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

My dad has a 460 SW, and buddies the 500 or 454's. I miss my stainless 629 i used to have. But Since replaced it with my .44 Blackhawk. I've yet to get a .460 maybe down the road. Haha i like my lil .17 i bought a Marlin a few years back on a spur of a moment and stuck a leo on top. been fun since. Kinda spendy ammo but its accurate. Trying to out smart a wolf and setting his sign always worked for us. I want to get into more Hole and lure sets. But seems i am always fighting snow with all my sets and keeping them working. So i noticed over the last few years i lean to snares more often. Always on the look out for a moose kill. On your list of guns ya need a 870 with both barrels and nice .22 mag pistol for dispatch :-)

#3246581 - 07/27/12 04:18 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

O i seen that after sent message,for sure 870,and my model 48S&W 22mag.i am just learning and starting to use snares.snow is not issue here wish we had more trails be easier to find.very rocky and hilly where we live.alot of caves and caverns.are well water is awesome its filtered thru rock.had it tested by family member and freaked out when he seen how truly clean an clear it is.caves an rock ledges, are hot spots for coyotes and snares are easier to carry.the rock is very slick.an roots make great places to tie off snares.biggest coyote i have ever caught was 45lbs im not dealing with a tenth of power.of a wolf.we get scraps from buther shop.and bones.flat sets and dirt holes what i use the most,they worked for me.i use my 22,22mag ruger alot here.had a freedom arms 454 an a divorce took it.i have several black hawks the bisley,i like the most and my 45 long colt taken several nice bucks with it.dont know is you ever used one,i have mossburg 835 3.5in mag. awesome for nite hunting an running dogs.got it for eli but kicks to much for him.so dad uses it.is there a limit on wolves,there far as calling,trapping.and yukontrapper you ever deal with a wolverine.here that there tuff.

#3246799 - 07/27/12 06:32 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Nice, I had an 835 Ultra Mag for geese hunting, but it started jamming up more frequent so i gave it to a buddy. I never shot a Bisley before, but i like my Ruger blackhawk .44. We have a three man team for wolfing. We catalog every bit of sign each of us see. Gives us a more definition what the wolves are doing. The last three winters we got 14 each winter. Our qouta is ten a winter. If we get that we are more then happy. NO Limit on catch here :-) We only got one coyote before and it was jus a chance of luck. We get between 3-5 wolverine a winter. On our lines. But my dad is the main trapper, i jus fill in the far outreaches of our lines. Maybe next winter i'll make some branch off lines from the main lines. So it should be fun, i have this area i want to check out next year. So it should be fun. I may not have as much time out there this winter as the previous ones. So thats why i wanna try calling more often.

#3246938 - 07/27/12 07:58 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

I have very good results.calling alot of grey fox which is in the diet of the coyote.grays and reds are easier to call at nite time here.unless alot coyotes are around that tells me where to set traps.once in while a coon will come in,i was averageing 100 coyotes a season till i got hurt an couldnt hunt an trap as hard,now im slower an just do what i can.the bisley dont have the pinch that blackhawks have when fired.i went thru all mine new springs polished,and honed same as my S&Ws. i see you speak of your dad alot.be sure you cherish those times with him. never spent much time with mine.my grand pa showed me the ropes.dad was always gone an to busy.how old are you and your dad,think it is so great to open these posts an.see MY DAD in the print.

#3247075 - 07/27/12 09:47 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Ah man sorry to hear ya got hurt. Well aslong as you are still out there trying to get em' and enjoying it. My family is fairly close when it comes to hunting and being out in the field. Me and my brothers all like to get out. My dad passed in the 1995 and our family friend and his wife adopted my brother and I. So having this close knit family is a blessing to my kids and my brothers family. I am 33 my brother 26. Adopted parents are 43 and 50.
This winter with the calling, i am jus gonna try snowshoe hare sounds and see what they bring in. Keep trying and find what sounds work here. So it should be fun. I wanna try my Ruger hawkeye .223 with 69 grain ammo and site it for 75 yards. I will shoot at all varying ranges and see where i gotta hold over at. Thinking 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, and 200 yards should be suffiecent for what i am looking to do. I bought the Mojo Predator Decoy and Fox Pro Spitfire and i have a Leopold range finder. Thinking i can sit back a distance off, set the caller and decoy up aways off. Sit back and wait and see what comes near. Mainly gonna try for fox and lynx.

#3247639 - 07/28/12 12:45 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

That is some awesome friends.my son mom and brother are very close my moms house. is 75ft from mine so can take care of her and the property.you said you lived in a villiage are you native,my best friend here is native.lived there till he was 4 his dad was in air force.and his dad met his mom up there and married had him and moved here.me and him are who shoot together all the time.he is a tool maker and helped alot maken my tools.he loves to shoot hates to hunt.he dont like geting cold.how much does powder and primers cost up there an are they easy to get.you have picked out top of line tools there to start with im sure you will do well and learn fast when i learn computer better.ill send you so pics of here.also advise be sure and use hollow points on cats an fox.or you be sewing alot.i learned the hard way.

#3247768 - 07/28/12 02:50 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Trader Steve- I am from Galena Alaska. I am Alaska Native. Thats cool you and your buddy help each other out with the tools. I am unsure how much powder and primers are. My dad and his buddy do up all the ammo. I have 69 Grain Hollow Point ammo for the .223 thinking that'll do alright. If not .22 mag or .17 will have to do. I really want to get the Ruger pro Hunter .22 mag pistol. That is one accurate gun.

#3247798 - 07/28/12 03:30 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

Yes, they are very accurate. i just think it is so awesome.getting to live up there.and im learning alot on here.17remington,fireball be great for ya also.17remington.they do not tear nasty holes.i use my marlin25m 22mag a bunch.if you or your dad ever have questions on loads.please feel free to pm me.just do not want loads an data on open forum.this computer is pretty much my life this time of year.do you have gun shops in the village.or do you have travel to fairbanks.and such.im looking up where you live now to see it.

#3247935 - 07/28/12 05:27 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Yea we are an hour away from Fairbanks by turbine. If we need any info on straight case loads i'll message ya. Thanks. Everything we need we have to freight in, or mail here. The stores here are expensive and the overall cost of living is also. But its the choice i make to live a Rural life. Since i joined this site i check it out most everyday. Well i am going to be out of town till around the 8th of August, bring the kids to Disneyland and Sea World. L.A. California gonna be interesting for this Village Guy. Gonna be a fun trip for the kids though. Get back in time to get some Geese hunting in.

#3248106 - 07/28/12 07:48 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

YOU,will love it just enjoy it.ill talk to you when you get back be safe.

#3254379 - 08/02/12 04:02 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Well, didn't make it south. Travelling N/R lol goodluck. But i have been checking out the gun store around fairbanks and see alot. Bought some goose loads for when i get home.

#3254762 - 08/02/12 11:35 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
Vance in AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Kenai, Alaska
I've had Marlin Guide Guns in 444, 45-70, & 450 Marlin (Believe they called the 444 the "Outfitter" or something). They will all work.
Of them all, I would take (and have) the 450. I've had my 450 GG for 4ish years & love it. It does it all with no fuss or muss. There isn't anything the 444 or 45-70 will do that it won't. You can load the 45-70 to 450 levels, but you are working it hard. The draw back is the 450 ammo isn't as readily available (can be a pain in the bush). I handload, & like the 420 Hardcast with a large meplat that I cast from Lee molds. I run 420s at about 1900+fps. It's not a max load by any means, but I can't imagine an animal in Alaska (or anywhere else) that I can't shoot clean through. I have a 2.75x Scout Scope on mine & clay pigeons at 200yds are not a problem if the shooter does his part. I have the DRC trigger, lever, mag follower, XS ghost ring peep sight set(with protective rings on rear), XS Scout Mount, & the scope is in Weigand QR rings. Man I love that gun. It's the only big game rifle I need for my part of Alaska.

#3254819 - 08/02/12 12:13 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

What happened yukontrapper,been boring last few days.been working up loads.45-70,220swift,222,and shoot them its been a 100deg.alday till 8pm then not much time to shoot.my son testing.45-70 loads,there hot an heavy.trying to get varmint rifles up and ready.Vance i have been looking into a 450marlin.for my son if i lived in the bush.i would take more than plenty reloading supplies with me.good cast bullets no matter the speed.will work i do not like over working my guns.also a bear,deer,moose.will not know if bullet was 2200fps or 1200fps.it comes down to bullet and where you put it.less powder is more rounds.

#3255909 - 08/03/12 12:52 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Traveling Standby this time of year is not recomended. We got bumped 3 times before we decided to jus stay. Jus hanging out with family and getting things done here. Otherwise, you are absalutely right, shot placement is key with all animals. Looking for a Savage .22 mag with the lamitate stock and heavy barrel bolt action, but i haven't found one yet. Was thinking about getting that set up with a leupold on top.

#3256366 - 08/03/12 11:41 AM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

Those savages are awesome,i have 17hmr,and 22mag.there shooters.marlin 22mag just as good.what did your geese loads cost you.a box.when you fly do you have take a bush flight.to major airport.i like how people think loads have to be super charged.to take game why over work guns when you dont have to.or waste powder,i looked up where you live i would trade you weather.have not had time to talk to my buddy to ask.where he was born at up there an his mom was from.

#3256602 - 08/03/12 02:38 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Yea, jus want to get the setup before November. So jus checking around at prices. I like my marlin .17 really accurate. I noticed the ammo jumps when ya get to .22mag and .17 HMR. The planes we get are Cessna 208 Caravans, Beech 1900, and Navajos. Pretty common aircrafts used in Bush Commercial Airlines. Oh yea the Goose loads were on sale got 3.5 " 1 and 5/8's number 2 shot. Can't remember what brand. But i paid $10 a box for ten shots.

Edited by yukontrapper (08/03/12 08:33 PM)

#3256973 - 08/03/12 06:46 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
trader steve Offline
trapper

Dang,yukontrapper a buck a pop and i thought.turkey loads here were exspensive.and yes 22mag,17hmr,ammo same way here 22mag bird shot is crazy.use them to kill rats around the sheds.what kind of price does it cost to fly from village,to town and is that spilt up with all people on plane or everybody.pay seperate i am going to make it up there in fall or spring.im saving now to make the trip.just like asking people that live there whats best way to do things.and very interesting how others live,and what they have to do to live.best way to learn is ask a man thats been there and done it.now i will be looking up these planes.so glad to have met someone with wisdom.PS 45-70 loads,shot great starting on new batch tonite.

#3257142 - 08/03/12 08:38 PM Re: marlin444 use in alaska [Re: trader steve]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Yea, expensive shot, but some good eating grub for a buck. I can live with that. Thats saying i do my part and the goose does his :-) One Adult rate is $400 RT to Fairbanks, Main city nearby. Nice, i may have to buy reload things before winter so i can load up 45/70 and .44 rounds. Something to look into. Alright gotta get going, later.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >