Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3232733 - 07/19/12 07:31 AM #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9
BackcountryAB Offline
trapper

Loc: AB Canada
I made up a 100 3/32" 7x7 6 foot snares. Now I want to attach 1/8" snare extentions.

I would like to use #9 swivels... Good or bad idea? Using the 3/32" snare through the swivel with a single stop ferrule and washer. My thinking behind that is the pressure applied directly to the cable would be on the 1/8" extension thats wraps through the loop side of the swivel. And not on the weaker 3/32".

Would this be the strongest way to make this setup?

Also picked up a couple bridger #9's. What would be the best setup for anchoring? Including what size chain, length, type of swivels etc?

Thanks for your time.

#3232785 - 07/19/12 08:20 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Originally Posted By: BackcountryAB
I made up a 100 3/32" 7x7 6 foot snares. Now I want to attach 1/8" snare extentions.

I would like to use #9 swivels... Good or bad idea? Using the 3/32" snare through the swivel with a single stop ferrule and washer. My thinking behind that is the pressure applied directly to the cable would be on the 1/8" extension thats wraps through the loop side of the swivel. And not on the weaker 3/32".

Would this be the strongest way to make this setup?

I guess I would have went with 1X19 cable, BC. 7x7 cable is pretty droopy stuff for
the big loops.

I'm having a hard time following you on the "applied pressure", but will say that when you get a wolf in one of the snares, the whole arrangement will be pressure tested
and one of the locations that potentially is a weak link in any snare is the end stops.
I would use steel rather tham aluminum stops and they have to be swaged on good and tight, but not over-swaged to the point of weaking the cable. Anything less than a top job of putting them on will lead to some serious disappointment.

#3232798 - 07/19/12 08:29 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
AKHowler Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks Alaska
x2 with the 1X19 cable. I have never put a swivel on my wolf snares. I swivel all my wolverine snares, crimping the swivel to 9 wire with a the snare, washer and steel stop. As for wolf chain and swivels. I use #7 HD straight link on my wolf traps and wolf swivels from MB trapping supply. May be overkill but it works for me. Good luck.
Owner/Manufacturer and user of the Alaskan #9 Trap Company

#3232804 - 07/19/12 08:35 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: Spek Jones]
BackcountryAB Offline
trapper

Thanks for the reply Spek,

I know what your saying about the 1x19 being droopy. I have been looking at what "premium" wolf snares on the net are being made and sold as a finished package. Most are made of 7x7 claiming to be more chew resistant. No personal experience on that though...

What I am trying to get at with the 3/32" to swivel to 1/8" extension: should the 3/32" got through the swivel with a stop. Or the 1/8" through the swivel with a stop? With the other end being looped through the open end of the swivel.

Thanks for the tip on steel stops. I will look into those.

#3232809 - 07/19/12 08:40 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
BackcountryAB Offline
trapper

Thanks AKhowler, are swivels in a wolf snare overkill? Or are they creating a weak spot?

I enjoyed your trapline journal. In the pics with the white wolf, seems like your running a fairly short chain to a stake?

#3232854 - 07/19/12 09:16 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

I like using 6 1/2 foot of #9 wire for the snare extension, with a pigtail swivel in the
9 wire. If you use the 1/8 inch cable for extension you will still need (or be better off to use) a support wire to hold your snare, so it's extra gear to have to hide and mess around with. Better off just to swivel it right off the 9 wire. But if you're going to
do what you talked about there then it would be a little bit stronger to loop the 3/32
through the swivel and run the 1/8 inch through the pigtail part of the swivel.

#3232866 - 07/19/12 09:26 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: Spek Jones]
BackcountryAB Offline
trapper

Thanks,

If I use #9 wire as the extension, how many wraps should the pigtail be made of?

How long is your snare cable when making a snare like this?

#3232882 - 07/19/12 09:42 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
bctomcat Offline
trapper

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC Can
I use 6 ft of 5/64, 1X19 cable for my wolf snare and 6 ft of whatever cable 5/64 size or larger for my extension. The picture shows my swivel attachment. With this set up the extension is generally reusable.

#3232910 - 07/19/12 10:02 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: bctomcat]
BackcountryAB Offline
trapper

That pic helps alot thanks.

Can you load 7x7 cable into a round loop?

#3232926 - 07/19/12 10:11 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
bctomcat Offline
trapper

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC Can

Yes for a 10-12 inch loop. It is difficult to get a larger round loop with 7X7 cable. 1X19 cable also loads better and is more chew resistant.

#3233006 - 07/19/12 11:23 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: bctomcat]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Originally Posted By: bctomcat

Yes for a 10-12 inch loop. It is difficult to get a larger round loop with 7X7 cable. 1X19 cable also loads better and is more chew resistant.

X2 on this.

About 5 wraps in the #9 wire for a swivel if you go that route.

#3233032 - 07/19/12 11:49 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: Spek Jones]
BackcountryAB Offline
trapper

And this #9 wire pig tail will hold a wolf there?

Thanks for putting up with the rookie questions guys. Here's one I shot this spring:

Edited by BackcountryAB (07/19/12 12:03 PM)

#3233298 - 07/19/12 03:12 PM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I find what has been working for me for many years now is a dispatch spring on the snare.
In my opinion the most advantageous thing a snare can do to hold a wolf is to kill quickly.
No swivel needed if this is achieved.I use blackened and waxed 3\32 cable, either 7x7 or 1x19,(equipped with 50 lb amberg spring) with an extension of same if needed to tie to solid anchor(substantial tree),anchored high to get snare positioned in kill area on neck.
To support the snare I use a whammy which allows adjustment of loop size while still supporting snare directly behind the lock which is important for quick snare closure.
It has been many years since I have come across a live wolf with this set up.
Of course Its possible,the only one I encountered alive with this set up was caught by a back foot.
I believe he dragged his foot into a snare that had been knocked down.
I am going to employ the new shark lock with kill spring when I get my hands on some in the near future,to test them out for myself.

Edited by Boco (07/19/12 03:16 PM)

#3234270 - 07/20/12 01:45 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

And this #9 wire pig tail will hold a wolf there?

I've never had one pull a pigtail out, but have had some where they maybe unwind a
wrap or two. I think it was AkTrapr that suggested running a fast pass down the coils
with a welder to prevent them from uncoiling. I did some shop test on that and it
does work. (Still haven't got all mine welded, but it's something I need to get done).

#3235067 - 07/20/12 04:15 PM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Very Cool Idea Spek.I haven't had any mess up the coils yet, but i am tring an idea on my snares i been making lately. Using Two double ferules with the cable and 9 wire attached to with a two single stops on the end of the cable and the 9 wire folded back over the first ferule to keep from pulling out. Has anyone used thie idea?

#3235079 - 07/20/12 04:21 PM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Not in a swivel but on terminal end - yes.(one double ferrel with cable folded back into second hole,then hammered.I use this on terminal end holding amberg spring.)

#3235778 - 07/21/12 01:02 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

YT, that sounds like a strong connection. You would be OK IMO with just one double ferrel
as long as you had a good end stop on the cable and bent the end of the 9 wire back like
you mentioned. Just my own thing here, but I try to keep visual clutter down as much as
possible on a snare. If I attach the 9 wire hard to the snare I just back wrap the cable to the wire with about 5 or 6 inches of the wire. It's a good clean and solid connection, but with the cable hard wired that way they take a little more time to set than it does using the pigtailed 9 wire.
The pigtailed wire is nice for setting though. Just position the support where you want it and then pull your loop out and it swings right into place, no messing around trying to twist the wire to get the loop to hang straight.

#3236155 - 07/21/12 11:51 AM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Morning spek, i guess that makes sense. I never thought of that. Having to hang each snare level and untwisting them so they hang straight. I think every snare needs a little work to hang jus right. Yea i like two ferules on it, lightly crimp them. But i like your pointer on leavin a longer 9 wire tab end to fold back. I was making it about an inch, but should make it longer. On the end of the cable i always use two stops. One jus looks kinda lacking to me.
Idea i been trying, i took a Camlock 1/8th inch. Placed the hole in a vise and bent the flat section of camlock to look like a amberg lock. Reason being is it makes a better lock for holding the Stinger Spring alot. Reason being i hate bending the Cable by the lock to place spring. Do ya think i am weakening my lock to much with the bend. But making up for it with the Kill Spring.

#3236516 - 07/21/12 06:55 PM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: yukontrapper]
BackcountryAB Offline
trapper

Thanks for the info guys, I will share some pics of what I made up soon.

All I can find up here is 3lbs rolls of #9 wire. I can find 200' rolls of #9 galvanized though.

Any issues with using galvanized wire? I want to be able to run a bead on my pigtails, dont think I can do that with the galvanized.

Edited by BackcountryAB (07/21/12 06:57 PM)

#3236818 - 07/21/12 10:46 PM Re: #9 Swivels for Wolf snares and Bridger #9 [Re: BackcountryAB]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Galvanized is to stiff to work with, check with fencing places, Building supply stores etc. Even look where they are demo-ing fencing places and see if you can get the wire on the top and bottom. I have some Galvanized wire from a few years ago still waiting to be ussed. Annealled 9 wire is the stuff. In my Snare bag a have quite a few snares with no 9 wire attached. Jus a 8-10 foot snare. Works great in the brush. I use the wire that they have on bread bags to hold snare in place. Breaks off easy. I jus use it in real thick places. Works great in the thick spruce trees, hang your snare under a limb and use the wire to hold it in place. Attach the Tag end of Snare as high as you can reach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >