Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3220124 - 07/09/12 11:27 PM Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies
g smith Offline
trapper

Loc: Mt.
Grizzly was in my yard last week,neighbors have sighted three in the last two weeks.I go looking for new trapline possibilities every week and always take my friend ,Lab-Airedale cross.The bears are plentiful it seems everywhere!Do you think that having a dog along on scouting trips is a asset or liability ? Seems like I heard that the dog might run to the owner for protection ! Yikes I don't need that kind of protection.These laws are crazy you just can't believe what grief you would have if you got caught if you shot one of these bears.Do you think I would be wise to leave the dog home when scouting?

#3220137 - 07/09/12 11:46 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
It depends on the dog. If he's one to stay by your side (unlike mine so far) and give you a warning than he's good. If he's a chaser and then runs back for you (like mine has when moose have turned on him) then leave him at home. I'm working on getting mine to stay with, but he's a work in progress.

#3220199 - 07/10/12 02:25 AM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
My Norwegian Elkhound pup is my hiking buddy and tends to stay within 50 yards of me at all times. We have run into two brown bears in the last three weeks. The first one was standing in the trail as we rounded a bend about 50 yards in front of us. The dog saw it first and barked then ran past me at high speed barking his head off until he was satisfied that I was between him and the big scary thing. I yelled at the bear and it walked off into the woods (and ran into another guy walking his dogs). The second time was last week. I was on top of one of my favorite mountains with Trapper and unknowingly walked past a bear bedded in an alder patch just off the trail. Pretty hard to miss a bear up there since it is wide open and nearly treeless, but I missed that one. The first indication I had was when I heard some huffing and grunting followed by heavy running steps headed my way. As I turned around the bear broke over the top of a little hill about 40 yds away with the dog hot on his heels. Trapper didn't bark at all and was locked on. The bear was angling toward me so I started yelling at the dog to try to stop him and let the bear know I was there. The bear then realized he was surrounded and outnumbered and blew by me at Mach 2. The dumb dog chased him halfway down the mountain before he finally broke off the chase and came back. I'm thinking about carrying a pistol or at least a spray can of bear whoop azz.

#3220218 - 07/10/12 03:49 AM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Sound like you need some dog woop azz more than anything! Ha ha good times those dogs. Both times I had deals with bears and my dog it would have definitely been better with out it. But sure like the company.

#3220327 - 07/10/12 07:40 AM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
In my experience some dogs will act differently with black bears than brown. Much more aggressive towards the blacks. They seem to sense that the brownie is something different. I've seen them bark and chase blackies but cower behind me and just growl at browns. Either way you have some notice that something is there.

#3220370 - 07/10/12 08:28 AM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
My black lab would run to me and my yorkie would take on any critter.

From what i have read above, life in Alaska is an everyday new adventure wow!

Smith, for sure alot of grief, Here in Idaho the guy who shot the Grizz just north of me ended up having the Govenor and every who's who in the state back him. Fed's lost :-)
be careful out there buddy.

#3220392 - 07/10/12 08:48 AM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
Bushman Offline
trapper

Loc: Alberta
Dogs are rarely an asset when it comes to bears in my experience. I've had two charges instigated by dogs. But my present dog has learned to stand and bark, she only barks at bears. I had one previous dog Smoky who could handle any bear he ever met as well. He was a dart in and bite kind of dog and could really outwit them. As for all the other dogs I've owned not so bear smart.

#3220503 - 07/10/12 10:29 AM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

I agree FT, the dog could use a little remedial training in critter identification and when not to pursue. Right now I am firmly in the camp of 'not an asset' with this one. He's still a pup and hopefully we will both live long enough for him to learn to stand and bark. I think the second one triggered his chase instincts just like the bunnies and squirrels he is used to running. My biggest fear is that we will run into a sow w/ cubs. Other than the occasional heart pounder, I definitely enjoy the company though.

#3221499 - 07/10/12 09:40 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
Bushman Offline
trapper

Beautiful shot

#3221578 - 07/10/12 10:33 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Nice!

#3221585 - 07/10/12 10:39 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
g smith Offline
trapper

Loc: Mt.
Thanks for your opinions ! My dog is sure good company and I do hate to leave him when I go but I think me might get me (and himself ) in big trouble. Great pictures ! smith

#3222038 - 07/11/12 12:21 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Loc: Yukon
I agree with W17. Most dogs act differently around grizzlies. I was almost mauled when my retriever tangled with a sow grizzly. I now have a Karelian bear dog.... and anyone who thinks these dogs are not an asset have never seen one work. I will never be without one again. She is just 4 years old and I have had her on six different grizzly bears and countless blacks. A grizzly simply has no chance and gets frustrated and moves off. Even in the thickest stuff you can imagine this dog will warn you of a bears presence. I had her on a sow grizzly for Fish / Game last fall for an hour and a half..... it was something to see!

#3222184 - 07/11/12 02:15 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
I was wondering when you would see this.

-TJ

#3222382 - 07/11/12 04:54 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
Bushman Offline
trapper

I looked at the Breed years ago Yukon for those very reasons. But they need a lot of attention was my research. My malamutes are people friendly but won't go crazy if they have to be tied up for a day or two. I'm talking about nessessity not laziness for dog inactivity. I've tied dogs up on a dangerous river crossing and left them for a couple days with grub and water for example. Malamutes go to sleep basically until you come back. And once again my old friend Smoky could do all those Karelian tricks on bears and he was 110 lbs, but he was one in a million.

Edited by Bushman (07/11/12 04:57 PM)

#3222583 - 07/11/12 07:07 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

I dont find them any more demanding than any other breed, but we are in the bush most of the time. I have heard others say that Karelians are standoffish but ours certainly isnt, she loves everyone and has a great personality. The kennel we got her from had good lines so that helped.

I had my fill of malamutes when I was running sled dogs. The guys who ran them carried a short chain to break up fights and beat them off our huskies when we passed them smile

#3222610 - 07/11/12 07:24 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
white17 Offline

Every Karelian I've ever been around didn't know how to shut it's mouth. Sounds like they'd work well as long as they are loose and doing their job.

#3222644 - 07/11/12 07:54 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
I think I'm part Karelian. smile

#3222707 - 07/11/12 08:37 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
white17 Offline

LOL !!!

#3222765 - 07/11/12 09:23 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Yappy dogs are just poorly trained. I had 40 sled dogs and with one word they would all quit barking and sit.I know another guy who has won the quest 4 or 5 times who does the same with 80. He makes the dog guy on TV look silly.

#3222960 - 07/11/12 11:42 PM Re: Dog partner,good or bad for Grizzlies [Re: g smith]
Bushman Offline
trapper

Barking is not an issue with malamutes. I call BS on stopping dog fight between two alpha males with a harsh word or stern look. I got a few collateral wounds breaking them up solo over the years. Two guys no problem...each grab a tail and hang on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >