Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3215830 - 07/06/12 10:37 PM Plucked and sheared back from Tubari
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
It took a little bit (almost 10 months), but I got my beaver back from Tubari that I had sent in to have plucked and sheared. The plucking and shearing is great compared to ones I got back from USA Foxx, but then those weren't even my furs that came back and these are, so that is saying something as well. Did have one fur that they ripped a hole on the side. Not sure how that happend, but it is towards the belly and can be worked around. Half were dyed black, and those are beautiful. The wife is going to have a new hat and gloves made from a couple of those. Overall, a great job on them other than the time, but I would rather have them done right than quick. I will definately be sending more furs to them to get done in the future.

-TJ

#3215874 - 07/06/12 10:56 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
That is excellent news. Do you think the length of time is going to get shorter once they are more up to speed on this process?

#3215890 - 07/06/12 11:02 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I have found if you ship stuff often enough,on a regular basis,the wait time becomes a non issue as you will always have stuff coming in.

#3215898 - 07/06/12 11:04 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
How much did the tan/dye/pluck/ and shear total cost? can you show us a pic?..we have around 80 beaver there now gettting tanned and dyed might get a few done.

#3215955 - 07/07/12 01:11 AM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
Boco

I understand what you are saying. My question was a tubari specific question because the plucking and shearing process was something new for the. And there was a learning curve to get it up and running.

#3215973 - 07/07/12 02:11 AM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
The faster they can move the product thru the pipeline can only benefit trappers overall.
What we really need is more processing (dressing)capability.

#3215985 - 07/07/12 03:30 AM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
What was the cost per hide tj?

#3216366 - 07/07/12 11:29 AM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Plucking, Shearing, and Tanning was $38 a hide, and then to have the ones dyed black added $20, then you have the shipping there and back of course.

I am hoping they get quicker at it as it goes. One thing that held up the time a bit was I had the ones I wanted done black tagged with black zip ties in the nose. I guess in all the processing, all but one lost the black zip tie and they didn't know what to do then. I didn't find this out until I called to check on the furs. Might have been quicker if they just would have called me when it came up.

I do know the ones I sent that I just had tanned and dyed black came back very quick and I love how they turned out.

I will try and get some pictures up here on the dyed ones and the plucked and sheared beaver soon.

-TJ

#3216394 - 07/07/12 11:49 AM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
I quote an Unnamed source: "The buyer purchases the raw pelt for $25. Then, the buyer must send the skin for tanning (another 25$) and then shearing(another $25) and finally two separate dye treatments( at 25$ each). Before he even starts making a coat, that skin has now cost him $125."

Very interesting. smile

#3216412 - 07/07/12 12:00 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

I sent some to be tanned and dyed last season, they turned out great,the only problem was I had to call to see what was up since I never heard anything from them at all, I didnt get any confirmation that I had sent anything and nothing saying they were done, I just called around October asking whats up with our fur and they said they were done.

I sent like 80 this year and never heard anything yet not even that they recieved them, so I guess I just wait and call again in October.

we also had some dyed pink and they had to be bleached first so that must of slowed down the process.

#3216466 - 07/07/12 01:05 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Jeff, I got a reciept in the mail when they got mine with the number of beaver, and what all was to be done to them. Never did hear when they were done, they just showed up on my door with a bill to pay. While communication might not be thier strong suit, I will have to say that I always got someone on the phone when I called, and they let me know where things were at right there and then.

-TJ

#3216496 - 07/07/12 01:38 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

I better call then I never heard nothing so far. I did try call a couple times and got the answering machien and no call back, I guess I will keep trying.

come to think of it they did send mine last year without payment, I wonder if they get stiffed much.

#3216531 - 07/07/12 02:05 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
I didn't send anything to Tubari this year, but will second that communication was their weak link. Last year I emailed them when I did not receive a confirmation, and Marc got back to me right away. I didn't receive an official invoice until the furs showed up at the house with the bill. We paid by money order and about 6 months later we received another bill marked 'Past Due'. My wife called them and it was cleared up over the phone. Seems like they may have some bookkeeping issues. As far as quality of the tan and pelt condition, it was very good. The only thing I didn't care for was that they cut my cartilage bases (and some of the interior) from the ears even though the ears were turned. Next time I send some in I'll put a note not to do that as I prefer to have them in. Glad your beaver came out great TJ! I'll be sending them some more business in the future.

#3216764 - 07/07/12 04:51 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
So how does it compare to moyles? Same quality? Prices seem a little confusing.
http://www.tubariltd.com/pricelist.html

tj i before e except after c. laugh

#3216898 - 07/07/12 06:44 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

FT - no spell check.... smile

Quality is the same as Moyles on the tanned and dyed beaver. As Moyles doesn't do plucked and sheared, can't compare that part. The leater is of the same quality it seems.

-TJ

#3216978 - 07/07/12 07:49 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Some Pictures:

These were the best I could get picture wise.

-TJ

#3221632 - 07/10/12 11:38 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
martentrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Moved to Fbks, Ak.
I just gotta know what you had dyed pink, Jeff!!
mt

#3221639 - 07/10/12 11:56 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Beaver..and they flew off the shelves so we are 25 getting done this year along with some blue,yellow,and black.

#3236148 - 07/21/12 11:39 AM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
jdw2825 Offline
trapper

Loc: Metolius, Oregon
pink huh? guess im guna have to get after some beaver this year cause my lil girl would love it. thanks for all the info shared guys

#3236189 - 07/21/12 12:34 PM Re: Plucked and sheared back from Tubari [Re: Top Jimmy]
vegasjim Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Does moyle offer dyeing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >