Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3207666 - 07/01/12 04:26 AM The Last Fur Harvest of the Season
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

Loc: Tonsina, Alaska
Well, the final fur chase each season for me is springtime rat hunting,... and if there's something more enjoyable than, I don't know what it is. Even as a kid,... there was nothing better on this side of heaven than to have Dean Wilson show at our place and say,... "Hey Dave,... grab your rifle & let's go rat hunting,..." I'd about pee in my pants I'd be so excited,... it's a wonder I ever hit anything. I don't live in any good rat country, so I have to go somewhere else to find much of anything,... but spending a calm, beautiful night going after muskrats is something that I haven't grown out of,... even after more than 40 years of chasing them around,...

And no woman heard him,...

Was he still wrong,... ?

#3207667 - 07/01/12 04:30 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

As soon as the ice goes out is the time to start,... even before it's all gone. Some of the places I go have snow & ice right to the end of the season in June,...

Edited by Wolverinebait (07/01/12 04:30 AM)

Was he still wrong,... ?

#3207669 - 07/01/12 04:37 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

There's all kinds of other things to run into as well while rat hunting,... from birds to bears,...

Was he still wrong,... ?

#3207670 - 07/01/12 04:44 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

and beavers to moose,...

Was he still wrong,... ?

#3207671 - 07/01/12 04:51 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

It can still be kinda cold on the clear-calm nights,... but everything comes to life then, while most people are missing all this,...

Was he still wrong,... ?

#3207672 - 07/01/12 04:58 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

The worst thing about rat hunting in the spring is that when this is over,.. it really is all over,... so now I have to figure out to kill off the next 4 months of mud, mosquitos, & motorhomes as fast as possible,... until the next season of gathering fur can start again,... grin

Was he still wrong,... ?

#3207674 - 07/01/12 05:12 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
TrappinAlaska Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Truely an amazing experience! Thanks for sharing it with us!
NRA

Basswood Fox Stretchers Forsale

#3207705 - 07/01/12 06:48 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
AKHowler Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks Alaska
Great pics Dave. That does look like fun. Have ya figured out what you are gonna do for the summer?
Owner/Manufacturer and user of the Alaskan #9 Trap Company

#3207821 - 07/01/12 09:00 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Really nice ! It even made the bugs go away while I looked at the pix.

#3207916 - 07/01/12 10:17 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
Castor Gitter Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Great pics, thanks for sharing smile

#3207961 - 07/01/12 10:54 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
It looks like a fun time for sure

#3208198 - 07/01/12 03:28 PM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
onegunsmith Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer AK
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

#3208221 - 07/01/12 04:02 PM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
AKscott Offline
trapper

Loc: north pole, AK
Looks like a blast grin how do you like the mokai?

#3208243 - 07/01/12 04:28 PM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Awesome sharing as usual Dave. What fun!

#3208343 - 07/01/12 05:49 PM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Dang that rig looks fun, is there a dealer for them in Alaska? Nice Job Scrat hunting!

#3208361 - 07/01/12 06:09 PM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: AKHowler]
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: AKHowler
Great pics Dave. That does look like fun. Have ya figured out what you are gonna do for the summer?

Thanks JR,.. yours are great too. Looks like I'm gonna be running a landing craft up in the Arctic Ocean here in a couple weeks doing some exploratory/seismograph mapping of some unknown areas of the ocean for possible future oil/gas production. I still get calls every day about halibut fishing,... and kinda feel like a lost puppy now,... but this should be a new adventure doing/seeing stuff I've never done before.

Was he still wrong,... ?

#3208422 - 07/01/12 06:50 PM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: AKscott]
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: AKscott
Looks like a blast grin how do you like the mokai?

Originally Posted By: yukontrapper
Dang that rig looks fun, is there a dealer for them in Alaska? Nice Job Scrat hunting!

This is the coolest rat-hunting buggy they've ever come up with. I can go up the smallest creeks, too narrow & brushy for anything else, including airboats. If you come to a log jam or a beaver dam,.. you just drag it up & over & keep going. I used to hunt with canoes years ago,... but this Mokai lets me cover a whole lot more area now, and cheaper than paddling. On a typical night, running from around 9pm - 6am, I usually burn maybe 2 quarts of gas. I'd have to spend more on sandwiches & candy bars & energy drinks paddling all night than this thing uses in gas. It only tops out around 13-14mph,... but that's fast enough for what I need. It doesn't have a whole lot of room for carring much stuff, but the tub I have strapped to the back will hold about 35 rats, which is about as good as I could do in a night in my areas anyway. Or, you can tow a canoe or pack-raft if you want to carry more stuff. I towed/drug 2 bull caribou last fall for several miles with the thing no problem. You can pull the engine out in less than a minute, with no tools, if you'd need to for some reason. Very tough plastic hull,... very simple, very dependable,... only issue that can be a hassle at times, is like with any other jet boat, you have to stay out of the weeds,.. it'll plug the intake grate,... but in clear/rocky bottoms, it'll run in about 4" of water. And of course, it's fine in big rivers & even on the saltwater if you pick your days. No Mokai dealers anywhere,... you have to get them from the factory direct, unless you can find a used one. www.mokai.com

Edited by Wolverinebait (07/01/12 06:52 PM)

Was he still wrong,... ?

#3208608 - 07/01/12 09:20 PM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
Thanks for sharing!

#3208913 - 07/02/12 02:22 AM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
AKscott Offline
trapper

Loc: north pole, AK
Way cool, those are some great pics, I especially like the one towing the caribou. Are they more stable than a standard kayak?

Edited by AKscott (07/02/12 02:24 AM)

#3211378 - 07/03/12 07:07 PM Re: The Last Fur Harvest of the Season [Re: Wolverinebait]
otter3006 Offline
trapper

Loc: kodiak alaska
when i see stuff like yours that truely is amazing and beatiful . i know why i love checking out t man . WOW! thanks for sharing. that is one cool boat and way to hunt. now i have to google that boat and tosina and to see where in the state that is. our muskrat are few and disapointing here. yours look much better. and no i won t be competing , just curious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >