Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Best way to dig Saleable roots #3198538
06/24/12 11:15 AM
06/24/12 11:15 AM
Indiana
crawdad crawford Offline OP
trapper
crawdad crawford  Offline OP
trapper

Indiana
From my own experience i treat every root im digging as if it were ginseng so using a shovel for me is a no-no. i carry a small pick and bucket and try to drive holes around the perimeter of the plant im digging and lightly pull the soil to separate it. The key here is to get the entire root ball and dirt out by going underneath both of em. you want to disturb the ground enough that the roots arent under pressure...a little shaking and in the bucket to get washed at home. Better to take too much than break a root trying to get it out too quickly. as far as denser plants like poke you might as well get a backhoe or at least a good shovel cuz they will be big and deep. 20 plus dried lbs of bloodroot this year so far. Ginseng looks like crap this year and havent even seen a golden-seal plant.

my redneck cancels out my blue collar #countryboycansurvive
Re: Best way to dig Saleable roots [Re: crawdad crawford] #3198727
06/24/12 01:46 PM
06/24/12 01:46 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Originally Posted By: crawdad crawford
From my own experience i treat every root im digging as if it were ginseng so using a shovel for me is a no-no. i carry a small pick and bucket and try to drive holes around the perimeter of the plant im digging and lightly pull the soil to separate it. The key here is to get the entire root ball and dirt out by going underneath both of em. you want to disturb the ground enough that the roots arent under pressure...a little shaking and in the bucket to get washed at home. Better to take too much than break a root trying to get it out too quickly. as far as denser plants like poke you might as well get a backhoe or at least a good shovel cuz they will be big and deep. 20 plus dried lbs of bloodroot this year so far. Ginseng looks like crap this year and havent even seen a golden-seal plant.

I can use that bloodroot if we can get together on a price.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread