ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3191193 - 06/18/12 04:23 PM Turtle Trapping
John Pearson Offline
trapper

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
I know there have been quite a few conversations regarding pricing of our services, but I can't find a thread in the archives that covers pricing for trapping snapping turtles. My potential customer has a 4 acre pond and the turtles are over-running it. His Grand-kids are catching more medium size turtles than fish.
I'm thinking about a weekly flat rate. Property is about 25 miles from me. Any thoughts on this from those of you who offer this service?
www.allpawswildlife.com
www.starlingstopper.com

#3191217 - 06/18/12 04:43 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: John Pearson]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
What are you using for trapping them. Type trap.

#3191230 - 06/18/12 04:57 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: Kirk De]
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper

Loc: Chocowinity, NC
Since turtle trapping is so much fun, we charge the minimum service fee to set traps, and then so much per turtle. We have a commercial license to sell the snappers so that is a bonus. The money number is something you have to figure out. What works for me is not what may work for you. Read between the lines.

#3191472 - 06/18/12 07:09 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: Kirk De]
John Pearson Offline
trapper

Hi Kirk,

I would be using a steel one-way door trap (2' wide by 4 ' long)and a net, hoop trap. I also was planning on trying to use a couple of your beaver traps, but I'm not sure of the bait placement. What do you suggest?
www.allpawswildlife.com
www.starlingstopper.com

#3191482 - 06/18/12 07:17 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: Phil Nichols]
John Pearson Offline
trapper

Hey Phil,
Down here we're not allowed to sell any wildlife whatsoever.
The only time I've trapped turtles "commercially" was a job I did for a Special Forces Vietnam Veteran. I ended up doing the job for free. Well, he did give me a signed copy of the book he was mentioned in.
Time and effort on my part that was truly well spent.
www.allpawswildlife.com
www.starlingstopper.com

#3191510 - 06/18/12 07:36 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: John Pearson]
Peskycritter Offline
trapper

Loc: south east michigan
I got one for you guys , how do you build a leech trap . There's big money in leeches here in the north , there about the best bait there is for fishing . I even seen a guy catching 3 to 5 lbs brown trout of the pier at Frankfort one time , thats northern lk Michigan . Thats also the best port for catching big king salmon in Michigan .

Free Trapper

#3191525 - 06/18/12 07:43 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: John Pearson]
Peskycritter Offline
trapper

That just got outlawed commercial turtle harvest here in mi , they claimed only two guys were getting the lic anyway . And they felt if they removed to many turtles out of one area it would take 30 years for them to come back . Ya right because turtle don't Roma around . So them two guys were added to the list of job lose . We have them soft shelled turtles here as well I've never eat one of them before , they claim there the best . Some of them soft shelled ones are the size of my truck door

Free Trapper

#3191571 - 06/18/12 08:02 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: Peskycritter]
trapper4hire Offline
trapper

Loc: Dayton, OH
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
I got one for you guys , how do you build a leech trap . There's big money in leeches here in the north , there about the best bait there is for fishing . I even seen a guy catching 3 to 5 lbs brown trout of the pier at Frankfort one time , thats northern lk Michigan . Thats also the best port for catching big king salmon in Michigan .

What does this have to do with pricing a turtle job?
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member

#3191576 - 06/18/12 08:04 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: John Pearson]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia

I trapped turtles for a living for a few years. I had the best luck with this trap from Memphis Net and Twine.
It is three foot in diameter, with a flat throat. I sure would reccomend this net, set up this way or a 30" one.

That is Robb beside me.

#3191670 - 06/18/12 08:39 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: trapper4hire]
Peskycritter Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: trapper4hire

Well if your trapping turtles to sell then one could trap the leeches and sell them . They like the same type of water there buck wheat

Free Trapper

#3191677 - 06/18/12 08:45 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: John Pearson]
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: John Pearson
Hey Phil,
Down here we're not allowed to sell any wildlife whatsoever.
The only time I've trapped turtles "commercially" was a job I did for a Special Forces Vietnam Veteran. I ended up doing the job for free. Well, he did give me a signed copy of the book he was mentioned in.
Time and effort on my part that was truly well spent.

God bless you John for helping that Vietnam Vet pro-bono.

#3191690 - 06/18/12 08:56 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: Peskycritter]
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper

That just got outlawed commercial turtle harvest here in mi , they claimed only two guys were getting the lic anyway . And they felt if they removed to many turtles out of one area it would take 30 years for them to come back . Ya right because turtle don't Roma around . So them two guys were added to the list of job lose . We have them soft shelled turtles here as well I've never eat one of them before , they claim there the best . Some of them soft shelled ones are the size of my truck door

Hey Ryan, we both know the government knows a lot more than us. Especially about how to park a fat arse behind a desk and spout bullhockey. Yup, them 2 trappers would have no doubt extincted all turtles.
Oh and by the way, keep these threads pure. Leech talk has no place in a turtle thread.
ps
How much are leeches worth? Is it legal to sell them? Can leeches be farmed? Will my wife get mad (madder) if she finds a leech farm in the basement?

#3191699 - 06/18/12 09:03 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: trapper4hire]
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper

Nothing at all as far as I can see. But you have to look at it from Ryan's place.

Then, look at his overall contributions to this forum. Whether you agree with him or not, the content is always interesting and thought provoking (AKA this.) and funny

That was a good question, I hope you stay involved here.

Edited by Phil Nichols (06/18/12 09:18 PM)

#3191795 - 06/18/12 09:54 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: Phil Nichols]
trapper4hire Offline
trapper

Loc: Dayton, OH

Originally Posted By: philnichols
Nothing at all as far as I can see. But you have to look at it from Ryan's place.

Then, look at his overall contributions to this forum. Whether you agree with him or not, the content is always interesting and thought provoking (AKA this.) and funny

Ive tried to see things from Pesky's point of view on several ocaisions.... but all I end up seeing is my own collon.
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member

#3191828 - 06/18/12 10:15 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: John Pearson]
coonsmasher220 Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
"wow it just got real"
OSTA, NTA, FTA, OWCOA, NRA

#3191831 - 06/18/12 10:16 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: John Pearson]
coonsmasher220 Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
i would charge a weekly flat rate on turtles.
OSTA, NTA, FTA, OWCOA, NRA

#3191834 - 06/18/12 10:17 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: John Pearson]
Peskycritter Offline
trapper

There three bucks a dozen . I'm telling you leeches are big bucks . They say to take a garbage bag and put a bunch of holes in it ,then place some bloody meat in the bag . The problem I had with that the turtles just chewed up the bag as fast as I could put them out there . So then I took a 5 gallon bucket and drilled holes in that and that works good . If I were turtle trapping I could put the bucket in the turtle trap and catch both at the same time . Nice thing about leeches is there easy to keep alive . They just need something wet to lay around . Most people walleye fish with them . Blue gills and bass and about every thing that swims can't pass one up . You could even sell them on EBay . There's no shortage of monster turtles in Michigan . There everywhere you look ,people just don't play in the swamp anymore . They like to eat that frozen boxed premade food from china

Free Trapper

#3191835 - 06/18/12 10:18 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: trapper4hire]
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: philnichols

Ive tried to see things from Pesky's point of view on several ocaisions.... but all I end up seeing is my own collon.

Now that is seriously funny.

Edited by Phil Nichols (06/18/12 10:18 PM)

#3191842 - 06/18/12 10:22 PM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: John Pearson]
Peskycritter Offline
trapper

You don't need any lic . Not like minnows and wigglers . There just like night crawlers when you sell them .

Free Trapper

#3192109 - 06/19/12 07:46 AM Re: Turtle Trapping [Re: Kirk De]
John Pearson Offline
trapper

Thanks for the info Kirk,

I'm not seeing a flat throat trap on their website, just the fingered throat style. Do you think they will work just as well?
www.allpawswildlife.com
www.starlingstopper.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >