Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3190396 - 06/17/12 09:51 PM Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way?
GLTRAPPER Offline
trapper

Loc: MI
Been looking for some info or brines to soak the meat an fish in then
hang em on a line/ rack to dry. Then maybe cold smoke em after.

#3190489 - 06/17/12 10:44 PM Re: Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way? [Re: GLTRAPPER]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
Dont soak in anything unless making fish strips in a brine.
meat is just cut into thin strips and hung on a rack and cold smoked until dry you can sprinkle with salt or soysauce,pepper

fish is split and scored streached and hung on a rack under a tarp for a couple days until it gets a glaze or seals, and then moved into a walk in smoke house and cold smoked for about two weeks if the fire gets too hot the meat will cook and it will all fall on the ground so no fire or hot temps at all.
it is also watched closly so flys dont lay on it.

you have to have the right weather rainy periods you will have to keep the smoke on and a bit of warmth or it wont dry.
too hot outside like 90 degrees and I dont think it will work either. folks here are drying fish now and its around 65 degrees out

when dry cut into pieces and pack tight into buckets by stomping with your foot,and seal on a lid and store in cool dry place will keep all winter.

#3190603 - 06/18/12 02:41 AM Re: Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way? [Re: GLTRAPPER]
Family Trapper Online   content
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
I have experimented with a quite a bit of jerky ideas and recipes. Had a favorite and when I gave up high fructose Corn syrup my main ingredient to my jerky took the high road too. I have been experimenting more with molasses and spices but recently am turned on to a new method.
Last spring I was introduced to the Gwich'in Indians method of dry caribou meat. Dried similar to the salmon I am used to on the Lower Yukon. Just smoked and air dried. Served dipped in butter. I really took a liking to it as did my kids. The smoke is the key for me.
I am smoking all my jerky now out west where my smoker is. Returning to Homer I needed a quick smoker.
In pinch I pulled the lower sheet out of my weber Grill. Slid a card board box under it with a hot plate to produce smoke and used the rack in the BBQ to hold the meat. Worked great in a pinch until I can get one built. All I am doing is seasoning the meat as if it were a steak to eat. I warm smoke for about 3 -4 hours and then put it in my dehydrator over night. Done and ready to eat. Dipped in butter it is quite addicting.

#3197373 - 06/23/12 12:27 AM Re: Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way? [Re: GLTRAPPER]
p barrett Offline
trapper

Loc: fla
Always smoke my jerky for 18-24 hrs after being in a merinade for 48 hrs or so.All my fish i hot smoke because its so hot down here most of the time.

#3197531 - 06/23/12 09:27 AM Re: Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way? [Re: GLTRAPPER]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
I do it like Jeff. Nothing on the meat or fish. Cold smoke until dry. Could be a month. Birch on meat, cottonwood on fish.

#3197551 - 06/23/12 09:58 AM Re: Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way? [Re: GLTRAPPER]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
We do like Jeff and White except that sometimes we salt our meat lightly in a brine of water and salt and never smoke it. The salting helps the meat stay softer once dry. Our dry salmon and strips are bagged and frozen for storage.

#3201954 - 06/26/12 10:41 PM Re: Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way? [Re: GLTRAPPER]
barkspud Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
Tons of fish drying boxs around here and dried fish is everywhere on most counters or cooler. Split cod fish is the hot item with salmon a second. The boxs are screened and the fish are soaked in a salt brine then hung in the sun to dry. Some like it really dy, some like it gummy and the old timers like it cheesy and say the little critters ad flavor.
martin-0
fisher-0
weasel-2
mink-8
redfox-12
cotote-3

#3202037 - 06/27/12 12:13 AM Re: Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way? [Re: GLTRAPPER]
AKscott Offline
trapper

Loc: north pole, AK
I have never made it but love to eat it the strips when I can get them, I was thinking about trying this later this year.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lhef6s7uyk8

#3210305 - 07/02/12 11:09 PM Re: Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way? [Re: white17]
Trapset Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: white17
I do it like Jeff. Nothing on the meat or fish. Cold smoke until dry. Could be a month. Birch on meat, cottonwood on fish.

Cottonwood is my favorite for smoking our catfish to White. We do use punky Poplar when smoking Lake Trout in Canada, can't find much Cottonwood in our part of NW Ont.

#3210519 - 07/03/12 08:07 AM Re: Anyone who dries fish & meat the old school way? [Re: GLTRAPPER]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Yeah the punky stuff smolders nice and slow.