Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3181795 - 06/11/12 07:57 AM Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting
STUMPMAKER Offline
trapper

Loc: Northwest Wisconsin
Looks like we are good to go on wolf population controll.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/wolf/

My question is on WHAT SIZE AND TYPE OF CABLE RESTRAINT would you suggest. We CAN NOT use choke down, power ram type "snare" only cable RESTARAINT. Also no entanglement to help put animal down. We have to dispatch the catch and have a 24 hr trap check.

WI DNR has found away to make big money at this to and make getting a tag a long shot I reckon. We have to apply for otter, bobcat, and fisher tag and most zone if you get drawn get only one tag per animale . As with our Black Bear, apply for a tag and you might get one in 10 years. Same with Bobcat 4-8 years you get one tag, otter in Northern zone good luck. I turned way to many otter in the last several years do them being caught beaver trapping under ice with snares or coni's and no tags. I get a tag about every other year for otter, ONE tag

any how what type of wolf cable restraint would you suggest and type of anchor system for winter use in Northwest Wisconsin

Thank you

#3181936 - 06/11/12 10:15 AM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
I predict that this is going to result in some people seeing the "cable restraint" and "relaxing locks" [sic; if it relaxes, it really isn't a "lock" is it?!!] terms for the ridiculous concept that they encompass.

Snares have been used for millenia to kill animals that are caught in them. When someone tried to put lipstick on the pig and portray snares as a way to "restrain" fur animals, it was the beginning of a futile project!

Purposefully trying to hold a live, adult wolf in a snare is, most times, going to be a losing proposition.

When we snare wolves up here, we try VERY hard to AVOID having the wolf stay alive in the snare. If they are not choked down rapidly, a wolf can chew through amazing sizes/amounts of snare cable and escape. Probably to die later.

All this is just my opinion. (To really know for sure, we probably should query someone from Iowa.....!)

Pete

#3182426 - 06/11/12 05:30 PM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
martentrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Are you required to only use certain types of relaxing locks? Any requirement for a stop on the cable to limit how small the loop will close? What do you mean by "no entanglement? How do you set a snare for wolves and NOT be in a place where it will tangle? Any tree or brush larger than 1 inch is an entanglement point.
Maybe DNR doesn't want you guys to actually CATCH wolves.
Some guys here like the Snare Shop wolf snares............1/8th 7x7 cable. 10 feet long. But those are generally supposed to KILL the wolf.
MT

#3182429 - 06/11/12 05:33 PM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
That's exactly what it sounds like. They don't want you to catch them

#3182441 - 06/11/12 05:43 PM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
Pittu Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Why not just use footholds? That seems like a better option as far as consistently holding wolves with the least amount of damage compared to the futility of "snaring" them with a relaxing lock and no entanglement...

#3182521 - 06/11/12 06:44 PM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
TrappinAlaska Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
My question is if footholds are not to exceed 7" that makes the MB 750 and CDR 7.5, not an option. I'm looking at the MB 650 as the next best thing but am also interested in what exists by other manufacturers like Helfrich, Sterling, and Jake. I don't see cable restraints as an option at all for the reason mentioned above and from my own experience trapping in Alaska for 10 years.

With the expectation being 1 wolf per tag drawn I am hoping that I can find some like minded trappers interested in predator control and not 'trophy hunting' to work with and gang set packs. Otherwise it's a little futile to think that anything will really change. Pack removal is what I would like to see, not simply the taking of one or two here or there. Ultimately I think it'll be the guys running with hounds who get the majority of them. These folks have already become pretty skillful at this and now that it's legal they can hone their craft. Again I hope that they work hard to remove entire packs and since they often run their hounds in organized groups already it might just happen.
NRA

Basswood Fox Stretchers Forsale

#3182825 - 06/11/12 10:25 PM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
I'm in WI now and have been reading the reports. I haven't seen anything about one wolf or a draw, but I could be wrong. I think these non educated wolves might be "easy" to catch and for the $500 non res license, and no limit, a person might be able to do some damage and pay for a trip.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3185266 - 06/13/12 08:24 PM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: Kusko]
schweg2 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW WI
Originally Posted By: Kusko
I'm in WI now and have been reading the reports. I haven't seen anything about one wolf or a draw, but I could be wrong. I think these non educated wolves might be "easy" to catch and for the $500 non res license, and no limit, a person might be able to do some damage and pay for a trip.

The "draw" supposed to start around first of August, I believe it's going to be a quota which isnt set yet(number wise). Can go on WI DNR website search "wolf" and it talks about it.

#3185278 - 06/13/12 08:32 PM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: TrappinAlaska]
schweg2 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW WI
Originally Posted By: TrappinAlaska
My question is if footholds are not to exceed 7" that makes the MB 750 and CDR 7.5, not an option. I'm looking at the MB 650 as the next best thing but am also interested in what exists by other manufacturers like Helfrich, Sterling, and Jake. I don't see cable restraints as an option at all for the reason mentioned above and from my own experience trapping in Alaska for 10 years.

With the expectation being 1 wolf per tag drawn I am hoping that I can find some like minded trappers interested in predator control and not 'trophy hunting' to work with and gang set packs. Otherwise it's a little futile to think that anything will really change. Pack removal is what I would like to see, not simply the taking of one or two here or there. Ultimately I think it'll be the guys running with hounds who get the majority of them. These folks have already become pretty skillful at this and now that it's legal they can hone their craft. Again I hope that they work hard to remove entire packs and since they often run their hounds in organized groups already it might just happen.

From the Wi trapping regs...
set, place, or operate any steel-jawed trap with a spread width of more than
8 inches.

I read also that 7" max for wolf trapping, so what is it 7 or 8"???

#3185334 - 06/13/12 08:58 PM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
STUMPMAKER Offline
trapper

TrappinAlaka- go to the site I posted and it will give the out line of the DNR wolf harvest plane. As stated in the outline, one tag one wolf kill tag per person. And it is a point system that you need to put in for every year till you draw a Kill Tag. It will cost you $10.00 every year to apply. So you can spend 100.00 ($10.00 for 10 years) and still not draw a kill tag. It will cost residents $100.00 for a kill tag if they draw one.

Also please refer to the WI DNR site and trapping reg's it will explain what are allowed to do with "snares" and cable restraints. I wanted to use cable as it is cheaper and can string up more. I do not have any "wolf" trappes or anything that would hold one. And do not plane on buying a dozen or 1/2 of foot holds as I can not affored the price for the pay back that I would be allowed if any. The dog's win again looks like. I am not against dog's but would rather be able to trap wolf and more then one. Gang trapping will not be an option as you can never be sure if your friends will get a tag. And the trap owner has to check his traps only not yours and your buddy's in WI.

Will see what happens out of the WI DNR new money making trick to fund bogus job titles and pork projects

Stumped I am

#3185429 - 06/13/12 09:31 PM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
TrappinAlaska Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Stumpmaker...

I had followed that link and drew my orginal comments from that. I think that it is a scam to raise money and not an attempt at real wildlife management. If the DNR wanted to manage wolves and not simply make money they would allow you to harvest wolves until the quota for each unit was met, regardless of how many you had previously taken. It is no different then how they manage bobcats, fisher or otter. What happens with each of those species is exactly what will happen with wolves. Good trappers with the right equipment, experience, and the general idea of the pattern of the animals is the one that helps them harvest their trophy. Maybe I should go into the guiding business, buy some gear, make the modifications and make it legit!
NRA

Basswood Fox Stretchers Forsale

#3185914 - 06/14/12 09:18 AM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
STUMPMAKER Offline
trapper

Trappin Alaska.. Thanks again man. You would do well with a guide business, VERY well!! Are you in WI for sometime now? would be interesting to learn from you myself. I am located in NW WI about 1-1/2 hr SW of Duluth.

Kusko... only one Tag per person. And the price of fur for our wolf would be much less I think then AK and Canadian Wolf fur. Most people will have them tanned and wall hang them I reckon. Me probaly also as I would only expect to get one or two tags in my life time if LUCKY to draw one and be able to fill it before the quota is filled and they shut the season down like they are now trying to do with our Bobcat season.

#3187175 - 06/15/12 06:37 AM Re: Wisconsin Wolf trapping-hunting [Re: STUMPMAKER]
TrapperDave Offline
trapper

Loc: Hay River, Northwest Territori...
Quote:
Snares have been used for millenia to kill animals that are caught in them. When someone tried to put lipstick on the pig and portray snares as a way to "restrain" fur animals, it was the beginning of a futile project!

Pete is right on in my opinion.

The driving force behind the use of "no-lethal snares" is the fact that the DNR need to protect hunting dogs. There are far more sportsmen hunting with dogs (bear, raccoon, etc.) in both Wisconsin and Michigan than there are trappers. For most of my trapping career snares were totally outlawed in Michigan.

I know snares can be a are a very effective and humane tool to harvest fur bearers like a wolf (where dispatching snares are permitted), but as Pete rightfully predicts "cable restraints" are not a good option for wolves. Even for the smaller Eastern Timber Wolf, IMO. But time will tell.

Edited by TrapperDave (06/15/12 06:40 AM)

Alaskan Blog: http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/mscms/hunting-articles/article-alaska-trapping-living-the-dream/