Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3180969 - 06/10/12 04:22 PM Brave wolves
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
Last marten season I camped out for 8 nights in a wall tent approx 4 miles from the road on the back side of a large lake. Wolves are quite prevalent here and have killed nearly all the moose (had a 12 mile loop and a 7 mile loop) saw moose sign only 3 times the whole season and a week prior. Used to be thick with moose 14 years ago. Anyway the wolves run a circuit through here looking for deer to eat, and are pretty bold.

About the third morning, while cooking breakfast, I heard a close low quiet howl, opening the flap of the tent, I saw a wolf about 100 feet away in the balsam thicket. I howled once, a couple howled back, and they went silent. Observing the tracks I saw where the pack had circled about 150 feet out, with the one coming in closer. I had previously taken my dog out here and he stayed while I set up camp and scouted, I took him home due to the wolf sign. I think the wolves came in looking for him.

I only had a Crickett .22 with. That night I went home (65 miles) and got my Rock River .5.56. The thought of the wolves hanging around had me concerned, and at least could scare them off if need be. Didn't see any wolves after that, but had tracks 50-60 feet from camp, apparently when I was gone on the line.

If my wife and I get wolf tags, I know where to fill em! Have their circuit pretty well figured and apparently there is 7 of them according to my tracking on the lake ice. Some nice open ridges for sets and tight trails for snares.

Previously , several years ago while ice fishing on the same lake the pack hugged the shoreline and one broke away and came to check me and my dog out, I had a camera and took Photos till it got too close (80 feet or so) then I yelled and threw my ice skimmer at it and it took off back to the pack and they left. My dog was on a leash or she would have chased it and it would've been bad. I'll have to look for the photos and see if I can post them if I find them or the negatives.

High time for a wolf season! They won't be so bold in a couple years!

#3180975 - 06/10/12 04:35 PM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Thats crazy. Your right time to get them respecting humans again.

#3181177 - 06/10/12 07:15 PM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
wolves can be very curious animals at times and you can use that to your advantage to catch some.They have very good eyesight and can see a long ways.

#3181725 - 06/11/12 05:54 AM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
Hornhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
Dale T I've seen a report or two from your wildlife Bio's that claim the moose are in decline from everything including "global warming", but they never mention, or blame the wolf. Same with our coyotes killing deer off in Maine. It's always habitat, and never the coyote or other predators.
The global warming report was the best. Guess they havdn't heard that Connecticut's moose are increasing all the time.

#3181779 - 06/11/12 07:38 AM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

when there are no calves, you know somethings eating them. Havn't seen a moose calf for 4 years or so.

#3181784 - 06/11/12 07:45 AM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
MChewk Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
HAMMER 'EM Dale! Hope you get a tag. That's TOO close...folks out on a family hike with the dog wouldn't have faired as well.

#3181852 - 06/11/12 09:06 AM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
That's for sure, my kid lost 2 hounds and a 3rd one chewed up bad.

#3182428 - 06/11/12 05:32 PM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Decoy, I'm sure you love the " restore the wolf, to heck with everything else" crowd even more than I do.

Sorry about the dogs, did the Feds re-imbrues you monetarily? Pretty difficult to put a dollar value on good dogs.

Wolves ate my chow-lab several years ago. Max was a good camping dog and carried a pack for me.

frown

#3184553 - 06/13/12 12:10 PM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
decoy Offline
trapper

Only got worst after the kills and I do mean BAD WORST....my son took a couple pixs of the dead hounds in two different areas and retrived the collars then the shite hit the fan..the pack started circling around my boy, tongues hanging out, blood all over their muzzles, etc, really bad situation, finally ran them off with pistol fire. Scared him really bad for a couple years but has gotton over the most of it. Wife and I haven't.

#3184620 - 06/13/12 01:03 PM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
MChewk Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Scary stuff Decoy! Matter of time before there will be more human deaths...just glad some states have finally realized these wolves have a big appetite.

#3184760 - 06/13/12 02:46 PM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
decoy Offline
trapper

Yup no father wants the phone call I rec'd at 3 pm from a son that you couldn't recognize by voice. Thought for sure someone had died on the mt. that day.

#3184865 - 06/13/12 04:11 PM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
It would be a horrible way to go allright
In many cases wolves start to devour prey while it is still alive and conscious.

#3190638 - 06/18/12 06:22 AM Re: Brave wolves [Re: Dale Torma]
Muddawg Offline
trapper

Loc: Dudley NC
Here, it's coyotes. Growing numbers, no real fear of man, packing up and hunting as a team but yet no one really wants to recognize there's a problem.

I know it's unusual but the coyotes around here ARE running and hunting in packs. I've seen it.

I've got hunters telling me their game is disappearing, from rabbit to turkey to deer. I've got cattle growers telling me that they are not only loosing calves but once in a while coyotes take GROWN cattle. Dogs and cats are disappearing, horses are being attacked in their stalls and I've even found a couple of beaver with canine wounds on them. We've even had people attacked, here.

They are rather brazen. Once while at scout camp, there were several of them that came right through our camp!

Anyway... Good luck with your wolves.