Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3163794 - 05/18/12 03:28 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Loc: Yukon
That is a great photo Pete, and some good information. Bet you were wishing for three arms right about then!

#3163921 - 05/18/12 06:09 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Spek Jones]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
If there's only time for one shot, I wouldn't make it just a warning shot.

That's where LaRose messed up. The bear was agitated and apparently looking for him and appeared at only 20' or so and when he shot in front of it the bear made one jump and bit him in the head breaking his jaw and that was just for starters.

When I saw him a month and a half later he was talking through his teeth because his jaw was still wired shut although he said that once he woke up in the hospital it was his butt that hurt the worst because at one point the bear had lifted him off the ground by the arse whipping him back and forth "like a rag doll".

#3164321 - 05/18/12 10:40 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Hupurest]
mtbadger Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
Originally Posted By: Hupurest
had a lady who likes to go out and 'build fairy villages" out of moss in the woods, it is "part of her therapy". Anyways, there are alot of black bears around there, and they wreck her fairy village and they startle her at her "fairy tea parties".

She wanted a pellet gun pistol to give the bears a sting, and scare them off. I informed her that it may also kill a bear, and that there is always the chance she decides to pellet one who may take that the wrong way and turn her into lunch. (there would be alot of leftovers, even for a hungry bear)...

people are weirdos.

Hup do we need an explantion of how you "had a lady......lol

Always looking for Bridger #3OS and 1.65OS

#3164345 - 05/18/12 11:19 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Happy Birthday Hupurest Online   content
"Andy S wannabe"

She came into the store.

That lady was unbreedable. I have seen better heads on pimples

Edited by Hupurest (05/18/12 11:19 PM)

#3164706 - 05/19/12 11:16 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Hupurest]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Hupurest
She came into the store.

That lady was unbreedable. I have seen better heads on pimples

Who knew that Hup's standards were so lofty?!!!!

#3165077 - 05/19/12 05:31 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
cmbb Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
Very good, both of you! smile

#3165152 - 05/19/12 07:12 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
Pete, that same question goes for the people who got jumped up north in their tent with firearms to boot. nothing is perfect. Not condoning one or the other.

#3168633 - 05/22/12 02:19 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
This man fears no bears. He can't walk, nor get back up if he falls over, but he is fearless

grin

#3171793 - 05/24/12 10:16 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Thats that Hurtubise guy from North Bay in his bear suit.He got some people to bury him in garbage at the dump where bears were feeding,and when 3 bears got near him he jumped up out of the trash.But instead of being attacked by the bears he scared the shite out of them and they took off in high gear.lol.

#3171962 - 05/25/12 02:36 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
drasselt Offline
trapper

I'd beat cheeks too if that dude jumped out of trash bag in front of me.

#3172462 - 05/25/12 01:58 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: drasselt]
Alaska_Cajun Offline
trapper

I'll just leave this here:

September Bear Charge Story

- Clint

#3173259 - 05/26/12 12:12 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
drasselt Offline
trapper

The lone cow moose hanging around this winter (winter '03-'04 there were 9 or 10)dropped her calf day before yesterday. Yesterday a brown bear ate it. I could see her tracks where she went into the river last night. Haven't seen her today.

#3173294 - 05/26/12 01:41 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Ben said he heard the brush move so I told him to hit it again so he shot into the brush and then we waited a good 20 minutes for it to die.

I am assuming Ben could SEE the bear himself and didnt just shoot blindly into the bush...... thats kind of how it sounds.

If Ben could see the bear when he shot that last time why would you have to wait 20 minutes for it to die??? If he could see it he would have known it was still alive and could have/should have shot it again......

I know and you know that the 300 Weatherby is an adequate round....... however it seems kind of ridiculous to say how great that caliber is when it took a bear 20 minutes to die after it was hit in the head with it. Surely you have a better example of your chosen calibers killing ability??? smile

#3173868 - 05/26/12 02:21 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: yukon254]
Alaska_Cajun Offline
trapper

Well first off Ben was scared to death... and yes, he just blindly shot right into the brush 10 feet in front of us. So what? It was something that he had to do to get control over the situation, he was scared. I knew the bear was dead but he didn't, he needed to "be sure."

Secondly, my first shot hit the bear right in the face... it's head went down between it's front feet and it went into a head over tail roll down the mountain toward me. It was deader than a doornail when it went by as I literally put my barrel on it's shoulder and shot it again as it went by. All Ben saw was a brown thing go by, he asked me if it was a moose. He shot at it at some point, but since he was behind me... I have no clue what he shot at... it could have been the sky, the ground, who knows....

Ben was pretty shakin, I stood there for 20 minutes trying to convince him that I killed it with the first shot... with him second guessing me the entire time saying what if this, and what if that. At that point he didn't want to go up the mountain, he didn't want to go down the mountain, he wanted a helicopter to fly in and pick us up. He kept saying "this is the stupidest thing that I've ever done." In fact there was a lot of stuff said on the side of that mountain that I will never relay to you or anybody...

In my story I down played the situation a lot, because out of respect I knew my Dad, and quite possibly Ben would read what I wrote. I didn't want to belittle Ben by telling what actually happened on that mountainside.You know as well as I do, there are certain circumstances that happen out in the woods that we just don't tell in the story because it makes our buddy look like an idiot and doesn't result in anything good. This is the guy who is married to my sister, at that time I assumed he would be in my life for a long time, so I thought it best to water down the facts.

I know I'm just an inexperienced Chichako green horn who has only been charged by a bear 3 times and lived to tell about it. Like anybody you talk to who has actually been charged by a bear will tell you, everything that you think you would do goes right out the window when it happens. You are running on muscle memory at that point and you are not thinking clearly. wink

As far as the 300 wtby goes... I've traded it for a Remington 870 loaded with Brennake slugs or a 375 RUM with open sights loaded with 350 gr solids.. YMMV. grin

- Clint

Edited by Alaska_Cajun (05/26/12 04:18 PM)

#3173905 - 05/26/12 02:52 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
mtbadger Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
Thanks for the story Clint......

Always looking for Bridger #3OS and 1.65OS

#3174178 - 05/26/12 07:34 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Well first off Ben was scared to death... and yes, he just blindly shot right into the brush 10 feet in front of us. So what? Thanks for clearing that up Clint.. I asked because shooting blindly is generally not acceptable practice for ANY reason. Yes when things go south things can happen that we might like to forget. I do know that shooting blindly would get you kicked out of any camp Ive ever been in. Just glad to hear it turned out OK and no-one was hurt. Your obviously pretty familiar with your rifle, and because of that you very likely saved some lives that day, hope they bought the beer!

#3174336 - 05/26/12 09:34 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: yukon254]
Alaska_Cajun Offline
trapper

Let's just say that I would never go bear hunting with him after that day ... Even if my sister hadn't have divorced him! But I digress...

I learned a lot about myself that day, to say the least... I was just abiding by the rules of use enough gun and keep shooting until it stops moving.

After going back and reading my response earlier I realized that it seemed a little more cockier than I would have wanted it to sound. I was in a hurry and posting from my cell phone. So forgive me if you read that in the wrong "Tone"... That wasn't my intention. I have no delusions that I am some kind of bad***, I credit the good Lord for keeping his hand on me that day more than anything.

- Clint

Edited by Alaska_Cajun (05/26/12 09:49 PM)

#3184311 - 06/13/12 07:21 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Sunday's attack occurred where the trail is narrow and winding, hemmed in by dense foliage. Radakovich later told rescuers he called out to warn bears of his presence as he hiked, but said his voice might have been drowned out by the rushing creek waters nearby.

He encountered the bear as he rounded a curve three miles into his hike. The animal was surprised as well, said Trooper Tim Lewis, who was among rescuers to hike in to the site.

It happened so quickly and violently, Radakovich didn't have time to use his bear-repellant spray, according to Lewis. He said none of Radakovich's injuries were life-threatening, but required "a lot of stitches."

Radakovich was still in the tree when the first responders arrived almost two hours after the attack. Another trooper climbed up the thick pine tree and helped get him down, Lewis said.

The victim was cold, bleeding and shivering.

"I can only imagine being mauled by a large brown bear would be very, very traumatic," Lewis said. "He was in shock."

Still, Radakovich was able to tell rescuers what happened. The bear sprung without warning, swatting at Radakovich and a ski pole the hiker was trying to use in self-defense. He figured the bear wasn't going to go away, so he curled up into a fetal position.

At that the bear backed up, giving Radakovich a brief chance to scramble up the tree and dig his phone out of a pocket. His backpack fell off during the struggle.

"The good thing is that he had his cell phone with him," Lewis said. "He didn't have it in his backpack, which really made a big difference."

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/06/12/2501651/bird-creek-bear-victim-pleads.html#storylink=cpy

1 word: Revolver!

#3184488 - 06/13/12 10:47 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
The theory of making noise to let the bears know you're coming does not work ALL the time.
There is a few overly protective sow's that will come to a noise from a pretty good distance to put a whupping on what ever is making the noise. Not sure what the percentage
is on them, but I have seen it happen several times over the years. Same thing with
some boars protecting a kill.

#3184903 - 06/13/12 04:50 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Happy Birthday Hupurest Online   content
"Andy S wannabe"

This is a handout I scanned from one of White17's training camps...

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >