ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: purr foam question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3171845
05/24/12 11:51 PM
05/24/12 11:51 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Paul I think you have a bunch of disgruntled employees or ones who like to listen to you wonder why or how. I could see how that would be fun.
What has saved me more foam guns than anything and it is not really dangerous but you need to do it in a safe place definitely outside.
When I have a gun stop up I open the gun all of the way, point the gun in a safe direction and take a blow torch and run it back and forth on the barrel until you melt the foam in the barrel. When the foam starts run it until the foam is flowing freely while it is still melted.
The cleaner will not touch cured foam unless you melt it. You can do the same as above but replace the foam with a can of cleaner and it will clean out melted foam and your gun will be like new.
I have tried other brands of foam because fastenal and kwikset carry them but they have been terrible failures and waste of money.
I would buy my foam by the case and if you don't use a lot split it with another wco. You each get a free can. I would only buy it from businesses who move a lot of it because you get foam with expiration dates way out.
The two best deals $ wise and freshness are our two friends Phil Nichols and the tireless self promoter ska Alan Huot at wcs.
A use that may not be a fix that the home owners would want to keep forever or try to sell their home with but works and you can charge accordingly and will last.
Those squirrels or birds that pop up the vinyl soffit or eat a hole thru in dormers where it meets the roof. The roof is usually steep and hard to work there. Hard to reach with ropes or chicken ladders the people already have s 600 dollar animal removal bill and you really don't want to step of the ladder.
The animal removal is done I've had a temp. plug over the hole I'm ready to close it and get my money. I explain what I am going to do to the customer and what I am going to charge.
If they agree I take a 6 ft snake tong, a frog gig, a decoy retrieval hook, an extendable paint pole something that will reach the hole with out me stepping off the ladder. Maybe use a little piece of hercules putty from WCS to hold the wire mesh plug that I stuff into the hole. Sometimes it takes two or three pieces or two or three tries but finally I have the hole completely blocked with porous wire. I duct tape an up to 10 ft. piece of pvc to my gun barrel put it up to the wire patch pull the trigger completely covering the wire and blocking all air flow. This causes the hole to disappear to the animals nose or feeling of air flow. Only an animal with a fillet knife can penetrate this patch and I tell the homeowner that so that the roofer or whomever won't be saying whotf or [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] did or is this. They can take a fillet knife and remove it without renting a power tool.
If foam is exposed to uv rays you have to paint it. Then it will last as long as concrete.
I did a pigeon job on a decorative historical building missing a piece of decorative metal that was going to require a 2000 dollar custom piece, a craftsman and a lift to put it up. I cut the back out of a newspaper tube screwed it over the hole so the pigeons could drop out but not return. The majority moved down the street to the court house. Seven heavy pressure birds chose to sit on the ledge like I expected. I went over late at night told the police I was going to shoot the pigeons with a pellet rifle and my cheap night vision. An ND3 laser mounted on the scope. We all looked at it and one went with me to be a look out and try the night vision himself. I love the sound of a pigeon hitting the concrete.
The owner agreed that we would try this. I put a big chunk of foam over the wire patch and after drying took a few knives and cut the foam to match the rest of the building. Then painted it. From the ground it looks like a 5 thousand dollar fix. He loves me and recommends me everywhere.
Even if I am going to brake metal, put wood or vinyl over it I put foam or caulk behind the repair as part of the exclusion. It stops air flow and animals like fire are attracted to and follow air flow
One last foam use fill your ladder rungs to stop the singing on rack.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: purr foam question [Re: wiggler] #3172915
05/25/12 08:27 PM
05/25/12 08:27 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Mr. Brooker, people from Kentucky are not supposed to be as smart as people from Wisconsin. I think you just killed that myth! Thanks.

Re: purr foam question [Re: wiggler] #3173110
05/25/12 10:43 PM
05/25/12 10:43 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Thanks Paul B.

I thank you for a very interesting potential solution to a problem we all have. I sell foam guns. I use foam guns. Your solution, if it works, may not sit well with the manufacturer.

I will give it a shot. Am assuming you used a propane torch?

Re: purr foam question [Re: Phil Nichols] #3175009
05/27/12 02:05 PM
05/27/12 02:05 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Paul you bring a tear to my eye. Phil yes I use a propane torch. If I was the manufacturer I would not recommend it either, They would be bankrupt from someone trying it somewhere stupid then going to saying they weren't stupid the manufacturer was.
I'm just a user that tries to keep things working and thru my own thoughts and the thoughts of others like us. The tourch won't work all the time but will a lot of the time. It will sometimes have a flame on the ground especially with the cleaner can attached. It's not a problem if you are on grass or dirt.
I wouldn't post it every where but my pockets aren't that deep to attract lawyers and people here accept responibility for their own actions. In case someone here shares with a friend who doesn't share on forums I already have my defense for court.
Now where did you get this idea. Off a website called Trapperman. From a guy named Paul who calls himself Paw. Another Paul named Winkelmann who several times a month tells you he is not the smartest one in his family thought it was a smart idea. So you decided to try this in your garage, customers bath tub where ever. The solution was not stupid you were. Case dismissed....I hope.
I would also keep a spray bottle of acetone to clean connections while changing cans. It is much cheaper than the presurized cleaners and the primary ingredient of those cleaners. It also make changing and reusing cans possible though not recommended. But sometimes necessary.
In the winter I take my guns inside at night to keep the foam cans at proper temps. I store my full cans in my home it seems to do much better and stops the gun less when it lives at the temps. I do.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: purr foam question [Re: trapperpaw] #3175056
05/27/12 02:47 PM
05/27/12 02:47 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
Like TRAPPERPAW I take my foam guns and foam inside when the temps start dipping below 50 degrees. On this note I'll mention something I recently saw that you may or may not have seen before - at least I hadn't. I went to a foreclosure auction of a window business. One of the items that sold was a sealant warmer box. It was an insulated metal box that contained upright tubes of caulking and foam as well as other types of sealants and adhesives. There was a warming or heat lamp of some type recessed in the side and when the lid was closed it came on and kept the box at a certain temp. When you opened it the light when out. On the way home I thought about finding a non working mini-fridge and making one so I wouldn't have to store it in my house but thinking about it is as far as I've gotten so far. ;-)

Last edited by METRO FS; 05/27/12 03:05 PM.
Re: purr foam question [Re: wiggler] #3177143
06/07/12 02:42 PM
06/07/12 02:42 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Paul - to be clear: are you talking about melting the dried foam with a can on the gun, valve/trigger open...and the fresh foam will push the melted foam out...right?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread