Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3160406 - 05/15/12 04:57 PM future UAF student could use some help
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I'm registered for classes and ready to move up from Ohio for the fall semester. Only one problem, I need a place to live and a job haha. If anyone has any leads on some work and a place to rent close to campus, please contact me. I won't have a vehicle to drive as I am flying in there so something within walking distance of campus or on a bus route . I'm 22 and a very hard-worker; I've held a job at a horse farm for the last 10 years. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks

Edited by AndyPribonic (05/15/12 04:57 PM)

#3160633 - 05/15/12 08:05 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Check with the university for a job I think they try to hire students as much as possible. Flexible hours etc. Can you skin and flesh? Maybe Joe at Alaska Raw Fur Co. could use a hand.

#3160893 - 05/16/12 12:09 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

Yes I can skin and flesh, thank you drasselt I'll check it out. I'm willing to do whatever work I can find.

#3160902 - 05/16/12 12:32 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Honestly the dorms on campus and the food are not bad but if that is not your desire there are plenty of apartments available in Fairbanks. Ones close to campus go fast in the fall so arriving early to secure housing is best if at all possible. If you can't get there early you may have to use a bus system to get to campus. You can make it work if you want I know my kids did at times. The two that went to school up there both stayed on campus for the first 3 yrs and enjoyed it.

#3160939 - 05/16/12 05:28 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

Well I wanted to stay on campus, but I'm not sure if I can afford it. They require you to buy a meal plan if you live on campus and I thought I could save money if I didnt have that.

#3161188 - 05/16/12 10:54 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
A man's gotta eat!

#3161297 - 05/16/12 12:54 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
Andy, you are a non traditional student. I would look hard into grants, loans and scholarships that are geared toward the type of student you are. I guess this is assuming you are an undergrad student.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3161418 - 05/16/12 03:02 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
It is a bit more expensive living on campus, but if you're full time student it's worth it I think. You can move off campus after you get a vehicle and become more familiar with the area. As for work, being a student security guard with UAF Police is one of the better paying student jobs, and they're always hiring. You should be able to find a link for "employment" on the UAF website that can point you to campus employment. Good luck!

#3161449 - 05/16/12 03:23 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

Thanks Ak, I looked into that security guard position. It looks pretty good. You're the first person that has told me living on campus is more expensive than living in a cabin, you must be cheap like me haha.

#3161479 - 05/16/12 03:55 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Aknative Offline
trapper

I try to be frugal. I think you'll be happier on campus the first year, get to know the area and people, get a vehicle, than move off into a cabin after you know more of the area.

#3161492 - 05/16/12 04:05 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

Thanks for the advice Ak, it's greatly appreciated.

#3161840 - 05/16/12 08:49 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Aknative Offline
trapper

You're welcome, hope it helps.

#3162216 - 05/17/12 09:19 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
I would suggest staying on campus your first year, just to get acclimated. It might be a bit more expensive food wise, but in the end, I think it will be a wash as you aren't paying for fuel to drive to school, and you aren't missing classes and waisting tuition money when it is dark and -40 and you are trying to get to campus. Everyone is different, but this place in the winter is a new experience for even folks that have lived in Alaska, and it is much easier to roll out of your dorm room to class or meals when right here, then it is to do all of that living off campus.

Just my 2 cents from a guy that graduated there.

-TJ

#3162298 - 05/17/12 10:47 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

Thanks TJ, I appreciate hearing advice from someone that has graduated from there. I'll most likely end up living on campus. One reason why I wasn't sure if I would want to is because I'm almost 23 yrs old, and I figure most kids on campus will be fresh out of highschool and I want to be able to study and go about my business undistracted.

#3162339 - 05/17/12 11:34 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
bairdi Offline
trapper

Loc: Goldstream Valley, AK
I think that there are some different options for living on Campus for non-tradional students like yourself. I think they have an appartment style living set-up so that you aren't stuck in a dorm room.

#3162423 - 05/17/12 12:54 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Originally Posted By: AndyPribonic
I'm almost 23 yrs old, and I figure most kids on campus will be fresh out of highschool

Think of all the easy pickings.... Grab all the low hanging fruit you can...

#3162434 - 05/17/12 12:58 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

SOLD!

#3162545 - 05/17/12 03:01 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: Hupurest]
garyalaska Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
I'm almost 23 yrs old, and I figure most kids on campus will be fresh out of highschool

Think of all the easy pickings.... Grab all the low hanging fruit you can...

UAF has lots of smokin chicks!

#3163179 - 05/17/12 10:50 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

Hup, your logic is undeniable. I don't suppose Sarah Palin has any hot daughters my age...huh?

#3163247 - 05/18/12 12:39 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Andy, Not sure about now but there was a time when they had separate housing for older students. I forget which dorm but one entire dorm was designated for them when I was in school there. I just got off the phone with my daughter who worked on the UAF campus as a student liaison for Rural students for two or three yrs and now works for UASE in Juneau in financial aid. She told me that in Fairbanks entering freshmen have two dorms designated to them but if you have been in college prior to this you wont be a Freshmen so will avoid the age gap. If you haven't had any college due to your age you can request some different housing. She stressed the fact that you should apply TODAY! She also recommends you call the housing office and talk with them right away as well. Don't wait dorm space goes fast for the fall semester. She also mentioned that many older students get their own rooms. I know both her and her brother had single rooms after their first or second year there. There are also meal plans that are fewer meals and cheaper allowing you the opportunity to feed yourself in other manners part of the day.
Yes UAF has good looking women, I met my wife there 30 yrs ago and she is still one of the best looking women you will ever meet smile

#3163255 - 05/18/12 01:02 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Andy- There is SAC (the Cutler Student Apartment complex) which is set up differently than dorms.

I'd come visit you...but i'm trespassed from all of the residential areas on campus. What can I say...i lived it up. smile

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3163308 - 05/18/12 05:36 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

Thanks alot otterman, I applied a week and a half ago. I called the residence life dept. and they said they were still busy with summer housing. I applied for Cutler, which is more like an apartment than a dorm i guess. I like what Im hearing about these women.

#3163310 - 05/18/12 05:37 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

haha are you joking alaskan?

#3163435 - 05/18/12 09:08 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
No, he isn't.

-TJ

#3163460 - 05/18/12 09:51 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

I'd like to hear that story over a beer

#3163597 - 05/18/12 12:03 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
I'd like to hear that story over a beer

The story itself probably involves beer...

#3163620 - 05/18/12 12:33 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
No Pete, if it's that good, it probably involved whiskey! smile

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3164085 - 05/18/12 08:12 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

Do any of you guys up there do any ruffed grouse hunting?

#3164379 - 05/19/12 12:05 AM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
Aknative Offline
trapper

I try, but i haven't seen many the last couple years.

#3166777 - 05/20/12 11:07 PM Re: future UAF student could use some help [Re: AndyPribonic]
AndyPribonic Offline
trapper

That's how it's been in ohio. My dad and I used to hunt them alot when I was younger, but it's not even worth having a bird dog around here anymore. I hate to see them disappear, they're beautiful birds and alot of fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >