Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3061813 - 03/07/12 07:24 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
I've been baiting them for a few years and mine has survived so far. They never once bothered my camera. I always chain my drums eleveted about 2' off the ground so they are unstable and harder to get into. Also they have to stand up to get into them. Small openings on the upside so they really have to work at it to get the goods. Hup I only get the 50LB bag from sams club. I have two baiting seasons here. Spring- April 15-june 30th. Fall- Aug 15-Oct 30th. I want to order another camera sometime, most likely the shockey camera.

#3070616 - 03/12/12 02:57 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
My wife did get me a lock box for the cameras as well for Christmas. I look forward to trying it.

Pulled my traps today, they were all empty. Since I wasn't getting firewood today I parked at the head of the logging road. You'd thinkg people would figure out that if they park in a line facine down hill there would be less problems, but they don't, so I was a couple inches away from having to chase down a musher to tell him that before he parked there I could have driven my truck AND trailer through here!

I parked facing down hill because I knew I could fit between the vehicles that were there and not be anybody else's way. The red Nissan parks facing up hill next the van that belongs to the guy that lives up there, making it NEARLY impossible for anybody else to park in the area because they can't back out (as I found out) and can barely drive down (as I found out.) Been a good year for me; 2 marten, 1 cat. Not high numbers, but of the three years I've actually tried to trap, this hasn't been bad. Time to concentrate on firewood, and then ice out beaver! Ya'll be safe out there!

#3070728 - 03/12/12 07:04 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
bearcat2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
The world is full of stupid people; and every one of them has a drivers license.

#3071059 - 03/12/12 11:54 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Amazes me the people that drive vehicles. Luck on the beav's and firewood. I usually wait till the river is running and drift is floating by. I am hoping to get atleast 7 cords. Be May before i start.

#3141945 - 04/30/12 06:19 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Still lots of snow in the hills, hoping it gets thin soon so I can fourwheel in for some bear baiting. Was driving the truck out there and came across a winter moose kill with what looks like big canine poop on it.

Plenty of trails around, hoping to set baits up here for blackies, but we'll see.

Set up this pond, in 20B traps have to be under water, so I'm trying submerged channel sets with dive sticks.

There is one castor mound upstream of these 3 channel sets, and one dive set at the bottom of the most prominent slide.

After reading you guys' horror stories about being stuck in big body grips, I changed all my 330s to be detatchable from the anchor cable like trapped4ever showed on the horror story thread. Much less of a tangle in the tub this way.

!

Lots of fresh sign, eaten sticks, cuts. I was gonna try a dam break foothold drowner set, but then I thought that might expose the dive sets, so I didn't. Hoping to at least pull a couple out of here, it's close to home so I can check it without burning too much time or gas. Any critiquing would be appreciated. Y'all have a safe summer

Edited by Aknative (04/30/12 06:21 PM)

#3142178 - 04/30/12 08:44 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
That is the way I will be hooked from now on. Quick release snap and setters with-in reach.

#3142433 - 05/01/12 02:40 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Nice! Get out and Bait em' Bud. I like the quick link on the 330. I was thinking about changing the rivets to bolts jus incase i ever have to split the jaws. I always have tools in the sled. Then i can rebuild the entire trap if i ever have too. Good to see ya out getting some beav's. I have never set coni's for beav's but wouldn't mine trying it sometime. Luck out there.

#3142435 - 05/01/12 02:51 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Thanks pard! Going to check tomorrow, hopefully I'll have some catch pics to share!

#3143671 - 05/02/12 12:52 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Got my first 2 beavers today! Woo hoo!

This wasn't frozen this bad.

This is the big one, caught in one of the channels going to the castor mound. The smaller one was caught at the slide. Both of them were faced in the direction of travel, both caught in Species Specific 330s with offset "breaker bar" jaws that I bought from TrappinAlaska. From what I can tell, it looks like the lights went out really quick. Good investment!

They get heavy!

Planning on going on a beaver trip this weekend. Be safe out there!

Edited by Aknative (05/02/12 12:53 AM)

#3143694 - 05/02/12 02:28 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Awesome. Happy skinning. Looks like fun.

#3144202 - 05/02/12 01:48 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
Wooo Hooo! congrats!

#3144432 - 05/02/12 05:02 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Nice work!

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3144563 - 05/02/12 06:48 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Ah Yea!!! Nice Going!!!

#3144874 - 05/02/12 09:03 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: yukontrapper]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
Thank you for sharing Ak. Very nice photos.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

#3145229 - 05/03/12 02:01 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Got the little one put up today, tried to clean skin it, got the sides clean and then got frustrated with the back so rough skinned and fleshed it on the beam. It fleshed pretty easy, was a little surprised by that but it might be because it's young. Got pinched for time so just rough skinned the big one, will flesh it and board it tomorrow.

This was my first attempt at clean skinning and putting up a beaver. It's a bit lopsided, I think I have a pattern somewhere that I'll put on some appropriate sized boards.

My skinning station. My wife didn't mind today, she even tried her hand at skinning. She wants to cook some of it for dinner tomorrow.

My first put up!

Thanks for the comments you guys. Any further on the put up would be appreciated. I know with practice I'll get better at the clean skinning, but it is a pain in the butt!

#3145437 - 05/03/12 08:57 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Yep, those little ones are way easy on the beam. Can just push everything off quick. I love how soft they are. I save all my little ones after tanning for personal use at some point.

The big ones are the tough ones. Especially if you get an old scarred up one.

Looks good so far.

-TJ

#3145472 - 05/03/12 09:32 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Thanks TJ!

#3145499 - 05/03/12 10:01 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
It looks pretty good.Only thing, get line pattern,and place your nails about an inch apart.
Small beaver can be trickier to clean skin than the bigger ones.

Edited by Boco (05/03/12 10:02 AM)

#3145502 - 05/03/12 10:04 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Good Job @ Skunning that Beav. This helps with skinning them. I have two Beav Tables, but like the portable one. Works on tables,atv,tail gate etc. The more permanent one stays in the skin shack. Jus keeps them in place alot better while spuding and using knives on em'

#3145578 - 05/03/12 10:50 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: yukontrapper]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
Very nice job for the first one. As mentioned nails about 1 inch apart. You can cut the nose off a bit more ahead of the eyes, about half way between the eyes and the nose.

If you need a pattern let me know and I will have one sent to you.

This one shows how to do your leg closures. (it is oval but pictures seem to make it look round)

And another one. This one used up most of a 32' x 48" board.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >