Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3147477 - 05/04/12 03:42 PM Halibut Charters?
onegunsmith Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer AK
I'm looking to take my uncle Halibut fishing this summer. He's coming up in August and wants to go fishing. I haven't done much halibut fishing and had no luck the times we did go (buddies boat not a charter). I hope to make this a memorable trip for him as he has Macular Degeneration and probably won't get the chance to fish for halibut again. Seward or Anchor Point doesn't really matter I just want to be able to get him on some fish. If you know of a good outfit plase let me know. If you know of a bad outfit please PM and let me know what troubles you had so I don't choose the wrong one based on a cheaper rate. Thanks.

Edited by onegunsmith (05/04/12 03:56 PM)

#3147493 - 05/04/12 03:53 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

Loc: Circle, Alaska

- Thomas Jefferson

#3147495 - 05/04/12 03:55 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
I had sworn off seward up until last year. had been on a few of the lesser quality charters IMO.

then last year went with the guys with the below outfit.

http://www.profish-n-sea.com/

Captain Woody is the man we went with. he was great IMO....

i wouldn't go with another outfit out of seward.

I haven't been impressed with the size of the fish out of deep creek.... catching is good, but the fish always seem to be on the small side.

#3147499 - 05/04/12 03:58 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: Birchcreekkid]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

Loc: Circle, Alaska

We used these guys out of Ninilchik last summer, the rates were good and as you can see we caught a few.....

- Thomas Jefferson

#3147519 - 05/04/12 04:13 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

you would have to catch a few more to catch the 6 60lbers we kept..... We threw back everything else that were the same size or smaller. It was more of a catching trip that a meat run.

#3147530 - 05/04/12 04:21 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
I would choose Seward also as you can catch a smorgasborg of different sorts of fish. That is why I only go out of Valdez anymore as I want to catch halibut, yellow eye, ling cod and black bass.

#3147889 - 05/04/12 08:22 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
August is a great month to fish out of Homer as a few charters will target silvers and halibut on the same trip. One of the best if not the best in my opinion is.
He consistently comes back with the best mixed bag of fish. Black bass, salmon, ling cod, halibut. Great boat and a great captain Bruce had some trouble with cancer last summer but hopefully will be back in action this summer.
Depending on when you are in the area let me know. I maybe able to get you out on the water on either side of your charter for another free one.
Bottom line. Plan your halibut fishing around the tides. Probably the most important factor to consider when going halibut fishing. Big tides make it very hard. Let me know when you are traveling and I will give you some advice on when to go.
http://seaflightsportfishing.com/
Oh my looks who is featured on the front page of his website.

#3148109 - 05/04/12 10:11 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
johnsd16 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN-30
Seward is better than Homer for a multitude of reasons IMO, mainly because its less busy and the tides are smaller which = smaller weights and more fighting the fish and not the tackle. In August in Seward you can get into some white hot silver action which is amazing, also can keep lingcod. Way more and better silver fishing in Seward.

Profish-n-sea is the outfit to go with. No one in that harbor outfishes them day in and day out. Steve, Kevin or Woody are all fantastic guys. My wife is the gal on the banner of his salmon fishing page.

All caught with profish

#3149255 - 05/05/12 10:57 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: johnsd16]
scalloper Offline
trapper

Loc: All over Maine
One from today 6'4" 220 lbs

#3149381 - 05/06/12 01:50 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Ft
That's great news that Bruce is doing better. I will have to email them

FYI, that bag of fish came on the Worst tide to fish all summer that year. I was very nervous about it. I told Bruce of my apprehension and that old salt laughed. He basically said "boy that tide don't matter. I will go where we have to and be then there when we need to and we will catch fish". And by golly Bruce did that. 70 miles one way, dosed for 3 hours and we were all wore out and we came back. I was once again impressed.

As johnsd says, pro fish is the boat I will go back with out of Seward. I had sworn off Seward because of the fishing in homer but I will fish with them and only them out of Seward.

I will have to disagree with the business of homer and seward. I find homer to be far less busy than Seward. The ling cod fishing and rock fish is just as good if not better.
Bruce is also the lingcod master. He commercial fishes them and knows where they are. The problem with running so far is that you give up the other fishing. But he will do a combo for the extra $$$

As far as silvers I have never partaken in that out of homer. Seward is great for that.

Valdez was super great for silvers too.

But. The real deal, true ling cod MASTER is ak paw pincher.
I would bet ALOT of money that he charted the best ling cod fishing day that has ever or will ever be seen

#3149385 - 05/06/12 02:10 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
tree Offline
trapper

Loc: southeast alaska
Boy, I hate to ask, how many of those fish going out of state? We have it pretty rough in Southeast with all the charters and the "subsistence" fishery. The charter catch is anually 2 to 3 times the sport catch. Most of those pics are more fish than I get in an entire summer. I feel for the residents away from the water, but the charter fishery here has turned into a meat for dollars industry. There are even charter outfits with jigging machines going after blackcod in a thousand feet of water, they haven't adressed that loophole yet.

Edited by tree (05/06/12 02:27 AM)

#3149386 - 05/06/12 03:20 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Scalloper was that fish chalky by chance? My experience has been when you see that gray fringe of freckles around the edges they are usually thin and chalky. Alway on the small males around here. Haven't seen it on the larger fish however.

#3149415 - 05/06/12 06:38 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
scalloper Offline
trapper

Loc: All over Maine
I have not cut it yet but that is the norm. The hal under 100 lbs fetch $7.75 lb with head and over 100 is $5.25 because they tend to be chalky as you say. What is the price in your area?

#3149949 - 05/06/12 06:21 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

It is down from last year I hear. We were getting over $7.25 or so for 40 and up last summer. Less than $7 for 10-20 lb. Can't remember the split exactly right now. Price is well under $7 right now from what I hear. Won't be fishing until late June. Our small deep water males are usually in poorest shape. I get very few where I fish.

#3150319 - 05/07/12 02:08 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
Tree they will! But after a number of years as a skipper in southeast, I think the locals take is much higher than people give credit. Not to mention the cruxifix on the com lines, how many unders get their heads ripped off lol. Been on a few of the subsitence trips tagging along. SOme of those boys catch as much in a couple days on a skate or two if they worked it, as we did in a month. not to mention the dingle baring for lings and laying skates on yellow eye infested rock piles....That said, I heard southeast is recovering pretty good now that the charter fleet is down and the comm guys took another cut in numbers a few years back. I havent followed the drama for af ew years, got out of it atleast for now due to family obligations at the time. Another thing, watching 3 or 4 long liners run 50 miles of gear right out of town. People wonder why there's few fish around, we couldnt fish in the sound during prime time. Blame it on the charter guys lmao! Someday we'll realize we all take a signifcant amount of fish...someday. Its cummalative, fact is everyone's got their hands in the pie quite deep!

To the original question as to where. If I had the chance to only do it once and once was it for my life. Its a toss up for me....

I skippered out of port alexander a little as a fill in captain one summer and found the place amazing! There are two outfits running the area, total of 3 boats, and one fella that did some over night trips mostly on the east side of chatham when we'd see him. Fish were shallow, very shallow and big!!! The scenery is steller..the run is measured in minutes. From hummingbirds landing on your finger to fantastic fishing almost out the front door, this place has it. It is the alaska most people think of imho.

Next would be kodiak. I know its not seward or the kenai....but hands down pound for pound, I think kodiak is a jewel for flatties compared to any other fishery! Not to mention everything else salmon wise. and hey its kodiak, ie no tourists, no motorhomes. I dont know for certain about costs but I'd bet its cheaper than P.A. mainly due to the need to bush flight into port alexander vs comm air to kodiak. The only reason I didnt pick dutch or unalaska is mainly due to weather. Both getting in and out and also fishing.

There's a few really awesome other areas I'd love to fish someday but likely never will. These two, Pa and Kodiak would be at the top if I had one pick and one chance to do it! Great fishing, great scenery, great experience, you wont go wrong with either!

#3150512 - 05/07/12 10:24 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

And there in lies the problem it's a broken system all together. From comm down to subsistence. I still wonder how many unders get mangled and never reported.

I will add another thing to those charter clients coming in and going home with fish. In its place is an economy it brings too Ak. I won't disagree it's too much fish in areas. Something else to not forget is the bulk of sold fish are not staying local either! The bulk of the comm quota is leaving the state and influencing less people/buisness's positively in the process! not that one is better than the other but dollar for dollar per pound of fish which one holds more value economically!

The one area the still raises the hair on my neck is the amount of non local/alaska owned charter business's and how many of those guides were also nonres. And watching the local one or two boat owners fold with the recent changes. If alaska is about keeping revenue in the state it needs to make it more difficult to outside operations to come rape and pillage and fly south after they are done for the year. It's not much different than the local small town shops comPlaining about Internet shopping vs spending a couple extra bucks locally.

#3150647 - 05/07/12 01:07 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: Tradbow1]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Tradbow1
The one area the still raises the hair on my neck is the amount of non local/alaska owned charter business's and how many of those guides were also nonres. And watching the local one or two boat owners fold with the recent changes. If alaska is about keeping revenue in the state it needs to make it more difficult to outside operations to come rape and pillage and fly south after they are done for the year. It's not much different than the local small town shops comPlaining about Internet shopping vs spending a couple extra bucks locally.

I agree, and I even think this goes as far as the big game guides. I'd like to see AK's guides be residents. When you're going to be living here, you seem to take care of the resource a bit better, IMO. But that's just me.

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3150651 - 05/07/12 01:15 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Yeah, I don't think the guys that live here are any different. Sims and Rossi are two recent ones.

To be honest, I don't care where they live, as long as the catch gets taxed here, and they fish here, and they spend money on gas, oil, gear, groceries and licenses here. Yeah it would be nice to keep all income in Alaska, but that just isn't going to happen, even for all of us here that like to go outside for vacations, second homes, etc.

As for halibut, the new 1 small fish rule in SE AK killed the charter guys. They barely leave the harbors now to fish as the gas expense just doesn't cut it for selling charters to some guy that can only keep a 20 pounder. And I kind of find it tough to side with the commercial guys when they get most of the quota in Alaska when Canada and the lower 48 tries to divided it 50/50 between the charter/locals and the commercial guys. That said, the largest taker and waster of halibut in Alaska is the draggers, no two ways about it. Fix the bycatch, and everyone I think can live with each other. I wish they had to keep every pound of economical fish caught as bycatch, process it all, and then give it to the state to either sell or use in school lunch's and prisons. Make it a huge expense that takes up hold space and I bet the draggers find ways quick on how to not catch bycatch like Kings and Halibut. Way to easy for them to just dump it over and keep fishing. Just my 2 cents.

-TJ

#3150740 - 05/07/12 03:02 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Great ideas. Especially the by catch. And people ask about our kings

Edited by Tradbow1 (05/07/12 03:04 PM)

#3150970 - 05/07/12 07:01 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
3 Fingers Online   content
trapper

Loc: alaska
Couple things.
1. Management council is set to take final action on trawler bycatch reduction (5%,10%,or15%. Still not enuf IMO ) at the Kodiak meeting early June, and is takeing public comments.
2. I recently learned of a non-profit called Seashare that is working at getting some of the discard/bycatch to food banks.
Personally, I think TJ's idea is the way to go , and many have been advocating for that quite awhile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >