Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2987643 - 02/02/12 12:08 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
frozen okie Offline
trapper

Loc: wasilla,alaska
Aknative if you get a Big Cheif get a front loader and not a top loader,the front one makes it easier to rotate racks and make a cool smoke by leaving door ajar......nice looking jerky

#2987666 - 02/02/12 12:47 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
I can't remember how many racks my little dehydrator has, but if you're not happy with how many you have I've seen where you can buy more. It really is good stuff, been meaning to try it on fruits and other animals, just haven't. Having grown up with a smoke house I'm not really keen on those little electric box smokers, I'd love to build a little smoke shack though.

#2987675 - 02/02/12 01:16 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
aknative, i am wanting to build one next year...i am not a big fisherman. I help out the family and we use mainly one smoke house. So mine is more for meat. Planning full sheetmetal walls, metal roof, and screened in gables to allow airflow with out letting flies and mosquitos in. I was thinking of jus framing it outta 2x4s. fast for me to build it perfectly square and also i'll be able to make more cross poles having even wall studs. Also even when putting on sheetmetal on. Most likely pea gravel floor. Jus have no idea where i'll put it...my house is along a grass lake all on a down grade slope.

#2987685 - 02/02/12 01:45 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

That sounds like a plan, one I may have to copy...Hope you get a level spot.

#2987713 - 02/02/12 03:56 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: yukontrapper]
broncoformudv Offline
trapper

Loc: Fort Richardson, Alaska
This screen material works great at keeping snow and water from getting sucked into your intake/carbs. You can buy a sheet of it and trim it to fit over any opneings and tape it in place.

http://jcscustomvents.com/catalog/i75.html

I would not use it on your vent openings though since it does not let in much air when air is pushing against it. I would use the pet proof screen for those spots so your engine does not overheat.

Edited by broncoformudv (02/02/12 03:57 AM)

#2996030 - 02/06/12 01:54 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Broke some trail today, decided that even though this is recreation for me I still don't like dealing with thigh deep sugar snow. Had a cat walk buy a bunch of cubbies, there are now several pee posts out there to see if he likes them. Any comments or redirection would be appreciated.

This pic is of some tracks I cam across while busting my butt on the new trail, seemed small for marten, are they weasel? Wish it was a better pic, but the light was funny and this was just the best I knew how to do.

Was gonna go get firewood tomorrow afternoon, but after the day I've had I'm gonna let that go until next weekend. Hopefully it'll stay warm! Be safe out there!

Edited by Aknative (02/06/12 01:55 AM)

#3027757 - 02/20/12 02:35 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Ran the line yesterday, nothing. Heard there was lots of tracks near a fresh burn away from my line, so maybe they moved. There were some tracks on the road, but no near my snow machine trail, hopefully they'll move over before I pull. Did get some firewood and the first critter with the Henry though! Center mass of the grouse, not pretty, should have trusted the gun and gone for the head.

Here's some pics of a couple "rub" sets I put out that I got a PM about. Cleared the smallish spruce from waist down and put Cat Puddy and fox urine on it. How do they look? What could I do better?...beside move to where the critters are! Pulling next week, so hopefully something will happen this week.

Be safe out there!

Edited by Aknative (02/20/12 05:44 PM)

#3058402 - 03/06/12 12:19 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

This is about the only action on my line that last couple months besides someone jamming a stick on one of my traps. I let the Troopers know, it'll go on top of their pile of stats. Need to put wide skins on this thing, just won't float at all in the fluff!

Because my wife is so good at keeping me from spending too much money, we were able to buy a "new" truck! Now if I could just get a newer snow machine...

#3058448 - 03/06/12 02:21 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Your accountant picked out a Nice Truck. I took blackbear fat inside like 5 ziplocks and rotted it down jus ripe as ever...then froze them. Sucked to use it as a rub lure. Jus ruins gloves. Did that last year. Had wolves come in but not commit. I want to try it again but as a hanging bait lure. Inside wolverine boxes. And hang baits on combo sets. See what it pulls in. Thinkin of addin 2-3 foot of paracord to the frozen ripe chunk and hanging it. Wolves aren't cooperating at all this spring...jus hoping to find a fresh kill to set up on...

Edited by yukontrapper (03/07/12 10:05 AM)

#3059176 - 03/06/12 01:58 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

If I get a bear this spring I'll be sure to use the scraps for something. Good luck with the wolves, hope it picks up for you!

#3059233 - 03/06/12 02:33 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Do ya bear bait? Man i do and it is action packed end of may into june! Gonna be fun this year.

#3059274 - 03/06/12 03:09 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

That's the plan. No action at all last year, trying to figure out where to go this year.

#3059498 - 03/06/12 05:30 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

I usually run two Sites. But usually end up hunting one more then the other. Gotta love a drum full of popcorn! With a touch of fryer oil as a binder...Then left over anise oil spread around the area i want approach trails works very well. I've got big plans for this spring.

#3060398 - 03/07/12 12:39 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Maybe I'll do the popcorn instead of dog food then, that's what we did last year and it was heavy. Are you using used frier oil? What did it fry?

#3060424 - 03/07/12 02:41 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

I bought the a 50LB bag from sam club. $17 dollars. 2 used air poppers from a garage sale. And i get all the oil i can ever use from a restraunt here. Make a 30 gallon drum, 5 gallon metal can for the main site. The other gets a 15 gallon metal drum jus to keep them in the area. I pop 5-6 rubbermaid totes and haul them out to the site pour in, add oil, cover and get your A-game on. My route is the cheapest possible. But the Anise oil is what i use as a LDC but the popcorn scents out for a long while if you bring it out right away.

#3060430 - 03/07/12 03:00 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

K thanks! How often are those checked? How long do you think it takes for them to eat 5 or 15 gallons of popcorn?

Edited by Aknative (03/07/12 03:04 AM)

#3060817 - 03/07/12 10:13 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

I bought a Jim Shockey Game Camera. Acutally works really good. Once i get some kinda of a pattern set up with the bigger bruins then i start hunting. Like i usually only bait around 6pm. And i do alot of banging around so they become accustomed to when i am adding food. Usually takes about two weeks. But the camera is around $100 dollars. Thats what helps me decide when to even start hunting the site. But i leave ball caps sweaters hanging where they can't get it. So they become used to my smell. I try and check every 2-3 days when jus starting. Once they start hitting the bait i come in and change camera cards add some bait as needed. But i slowly try and taper them to 2-3 tote of popcorn. I bet you can get maple bars from bakeries, and or commercial popcorn that is left over from places.

Edited by yukontrapper (03/07/12 10:16 AM)

#3061461 - 03/07/12 05:00 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Thanks YT! Accountant got me a gamecam for Christmas, I'll put it to use when bait season starts.

#3061657 - 03/07/12 06:28 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Right on i bought a Jim Shockey 8mp and i really like it. Oh yeah sometimes they'll eat all the popcorn in a night...So the hunting partner or i take turn making popcorn...time consuming but cheap. I usually try to make 30-40 gallons everytime so i have enough for a couple checks. But the main thing is getting them to find it so i really recommend anise oil till they find it. Also i put fryer oil on the ground in front of the drum and all over it so they can track it all over the place. Scent trailing for me.

#3061672 - 03/07/12 06:36 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
popcorn is nice... a little bag of seeds makes a whole lot of popcorn.... carrying in large bags of popcorn is way easier than dogfood at 50lbs a bag....
They eat it as fast as the hole in the barrell allows them to.

the smaller the hole, the more they have to work at it.

one thing I have found with game cameras is that they like to munch them... never touch them with your stinky, bait hands...
and if you can, get a lockable box for it.

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >