Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3146276 - 05/03/12 06:15 PM Marten lure... Need advice
lbtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
I have about a gallon of spring muskrat glands saved up from the past two season. Along with quite a bit of castor.

Ive been using gusto as a LD lure, but I want to make a lure to use directly at the set. Maybe something sweet? I need steering in the right direction. Has to be freeze proof.. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, LB

#3146291 - 05/03/12 06:25 PM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Um, use Gusto at the set. No need to make it complicated.

-TJ

#3146319 - 05/03/12 06:46 PM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
160user Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
My wife uses nothing but pure 100& MTP Shellfish oil.

#3146432 - 05/03/12 07:51 PM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Quote:
I wish it could be so easy for me. ;0)
Not working out the complications on my line has cost me $$$$$ Not all marten are created equal. Now on the other hand if you have a regular minded marten. I agree with Top JImmy.

#3146686 - 05/03/12 10:03 PM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: Top Jimmy]
lbtrapper Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Top Jimmy

-TJ

That's what I always did before. This year I had a handful that would come near the set but never went in. Both on a leaning pole set and a ground cubby. From what I've read some guys have much better luck using a LD lure then using a different lure at the set itself.

I'm looking for advice on how to use the glands I have. In the end it will be an experiment if anything and maybe change the odds of a marten committing to my set

#3146836 - 05/04/12 12:45 AM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
I use rotted down salmon livers and castor mixed with glycerine, I run it in a blender and it comes out pretty fine.

#3146837 - 05/04/12 12:45 AM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
frozen okie Offline
trapper

Loc: wasilla,alaska
You could just soak the rat glads and castor in some glycol or other antifreeze of your choice,it takes all summer but the one with glands will end up smelling a little sweet.Just shake the jar every other day or when you walk by it.Same with the castor one.Then you can take castor out and dry it then grind it up,maybe even grind up glands for a paste and sprinkle some castor in it.

#3146845 - 05/04/12 12:55 AM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
teacherman Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla, AK
Salmon livers, glycerine, beaver castor, rat glands and I think some raspberry jelly mixed in with it all. Maybe a Qtip of gusto.

#3146855 - 05/04/12 02:08 AM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
lbtrapper Offline
trapper

Frozen okie, when doing that do you age the glands at all or use them fresh?

With the experimenting I've done, i see better reaction with muskrat glands/ or castor then I have with salmon oil
(have not tried salmon liver)

#3146861 - 05/04/12 02:41 AM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
There is a big differance between salmon oil and rotted down salmon livers. The oil has a real mild oder the rotted stuff has that strong stinky rotten fish smell. The beginning of the season it's all I use and pulls in all the critters, till kitty opens up then the skunk comes out.

#3146864 - 05/04/12 03:17 AM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
lbtrapper Offline
trapper

I have heard of the jelly Bell, I have never tried putting it to use though.. I would think it would freeze up and be hard to apply to sets though. Anyone else have experience with using jelly?

#3147014 - 05/04/12 08:19 AM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
We add raspberry jam to our marten lures rather than jelly. Think it has a stronger berry odor. Marten are an opportunist and eat many berries in season. When we were live trapping them for translocation to your lower 48 we would have them licking raspberry jam off a spoon within minutes.
NAFA Trapper Consultant

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

#3147214 - 05/04/12 11:33 AM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
frozen okie Offline
trapper

Loc: wasilla,alaska
Fresh is all I have tried, I figure I can use it fresh then age them some if I wanted to.

#3147216 - 05/04/12 11:37 AM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: trapper ron]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

Loc: Circle, Alaska
I wouldn't waste muskrat glands on marten lure, would be better to use them in a fox, lynk, or mink lure. Ask your lady friends for all the bottles of cheap perfume they have laying around and dump them in one squirt bottle and your good to go, add some skunk and you have more calling power. Generic nyquil works too if you want something sweet.

#3149190 - 05/05/12 09:40 PM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
BigNateAK Offline
trapper

Loc: Haines & Fairbanks, Ak
I have had pretty good success with raspberry jam or preserves, but I also add some hooligan oil and minced dried beaver castor. It seems to boost my catch numbers during late January when things can get kinda slow.

#3150087 - 05/06/12 08:23 PM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: Birchcreekkid]
Outdoors_Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: cachecreekkid
I wouldn't waste muskrat glands on marten lure, would be better to use them in a fox, lynk, or mink lure. Ask your lady friends for all the bottles of cheap perfume they have laying around and dump them in one squirt bottle and your good to go, add some skunk and you have more calling power. Generic nyquil works too if you want something sweet.

PERFUME?? U must be kidding right?

#3150190 - 05/06/12 09:39 PM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: Outdoors_Man]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

Loc: Circle, Alaska
PERFUME? no I'm not kidding, has been used in Alaska and Canada for marten and lynk for along time.

#3150645 - 05/07/12 01:04 PM Re: Marten lure... Need advice [Re: lbtrapper]
Outdoors_Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
huh... thats a new one on me.