Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3160043 - 05/15/12 10:53 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Loc: Yukon
Dirt a lot of folks here dont pack anything either, and 99.9% of the time they are OK.... its that .1 that bothers me. I always tell people that if you ever end up in a tight spot, you will need that gun worse than you ever needed anything. I find that a light short rifle gets left behind less than a heavy one.

Heard through the rumor mill that a prospector got killed here recently when he got to close to a den with cubs. Dont know the details but highly doubt he was armed.

#3160187 - 05/15/12 01:10 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Spek Jones]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
I dug around and found some of my old pictures from my guiding day's and managed to get
then scanned in here. This is just a random selection with different size bears and
it kinda show's a fair representation of the bears we were taking, sort of across the board. Some were on the Kenai, some on the AK Pen. Size wise there is not a noticeable
different between the two areas. Actually the biggest one in here came off the Kenai, but
wasn't by much.
During the years I was guiding the only camera I ever packed was the the disposable
instamatic's. Cheap, light weight and no big lose if you got it soaked in a river or
down pour. (We didn't have digitals in them days). They took fair pictures but not
like the SLR cameras did. Some of these were taken with the instamatic and a not the
best quality. Some are pictures the hunters took with their SLR's and sent to me after
the hunt. We never deliberately attemted to use camera distortion to make an animal look bigger, but prefered to have the person on the back side,against the animal, on a broadside shot or up close to the head on a frontal shot.

There is a couple in here in the 8ft range, and a couple that are over 10ft, but most range between 9 and 10 ft.

The stance of the bear in the last pic gives a little idea about how wide through
the shoulders a 10ft plus bear actually is.
I've boxes of these, but this enough. Scanning and downloading pic's is a pain in the
rear.

Spek,

Thanks for those awesome pictures!

#3160193 - 05/15/12 01:18 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
northway Offline
trapper

Here are a few pictures of a "big" interior grizz.

#3160196 - 05/15/12 01:23 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Hupurest Online   content
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Road hunting in blue jeans and sneakers.... FCOL...

No wonder why you never post sheep pictures, they wouldn't corroborate the "death march" story....

#3160207 - 05/15/12 01:34 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
Yah, true Hup, he kinda looks like tourist, but MAN, that's a big griz!

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3160246 - 05/15/12 02:24 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Hupurest]
northway Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
Road hunting in blue jeans and sneakers.... FCOL...

No wonder why you never post sheep pictures, they wouldn't corroborate the "death march" story....

I've got my tennis shoes on! Same gear I wear sheep hunting! smile

#3160397 - 05/15/12 04:40 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Dirt]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Dirt
I am a firm believer in not acting like prey.

One comment: Sow with little bitty cub(s). Very sketchy deal.

#3160545 - 05/15/12 07:02 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: drasselt]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: drasselt
Originally Posted By: Dirt
I am a firm believer in not acting like prey.

One comment: Sow with little bitty cub(s). Very sketchy deal.

I try to avoid the situation. When I am in an area with a lot of bear sign I like to make a lot of noise. If this does not work, I surely may take a beating. Again ,if they know of your presence here, they will avoid conflict. It also pays to pay attention to really abundant fresh sign and odors, or scavenger bird activity, so as not to stumble onto a kill. I'm not telling anybody not to pack, I just don't.

#3160576 - 05/15/12 07:26 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: northway]
FullFreezer Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska, E.F.R

Thats an ok bear there northway. this is a BIG interior bear

#3160602 - 05/15/12 07:44 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Loc: Yukon
Yep AT that is a bigun!

#3160622 - 05/15/12 07:56 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: FullFreezer]
Cougartail
Unregistered

Is that a 55 gallon or a 30 gallon barrel in that picture?

#3160888 - 05/15/12 11:49 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Ho-lee!!! lol dang thats huge

#3160922 - 05/16/12 02:09 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
I love the pearly claws on that bear Northway.

Gen2600 and I went up to the cabin today and right after we left my wife went down to the barn to feed the horses. Barn is a couple hundred yds from the house. (She didn't take a gun). A brown bear (juvinile deliquient) came up out of the canyon and got between her and the house. She waited by the barn and watched him, waiting for him to leave. Then he spotted a mare with a 2 week old foal a couple hundred feet away in the pasture, and goes running out across the pasture after them. They see him coming and run for the barn.
My wife picked up a steel bucket and started beating on it with a pair of fencing pliers
and running toward him yelling. Fortunately, he turned and took off.

He was one of the 99% Yukon254 talked about above. Glad it wasn't the 1%. smile

My brother (lives less than a quarter mile from us) had to drop a young boar that was tearing the side out of his chicken coup a couple days ago and wouldn't leave. They
seem to get braver every year.

Making a lot of noise works very well to get most bears to move off before you even see them. Once in a great while though a sow with cubs and an attitude will come to the noise. I never have been very lucky at gambling, so gave it up a long time ago.

#3161070 - 05/16/12 09:04 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
99% now your scaring me! I gotta be about due. Hey he said;" 99.9%" That's one in a 1000. Still good odds. Then you also got bait to draw them in. And you got regulations that protect the bears, not the people. I surely would be more afraid of bear problems where bears lose their fear of people.

I noticed those claws right off too. Never seen nothing like that here. I'm kind of a claw man. First thing I check out on a dead bear is the front claws to see if they are wore down or long and pointy. Then I go check the teeth. Definitely claw man first then teeth.

Edited by Dirt (05/16/12 09:30 AM)

#3161142 - 05/16/12 10:13 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Oh, sorry Dirt, my mistake. I'm still unlucky though.

Relatively speaking, spring = long and pointy, fall =wore down. And hair between the toes
= spring, hair wore off between the toes = fall (kinda rule of thumb for telling the
difference on a hide between a spring and fall bear).

I agree though, the difference between 99% and 99.9% could depend on hunting pressure
(or lack thereof).

Edited by Spek Jones (05/16/12 10:17 AM)

#3161178 - 05/16/12 10:47 AM Re: Bear attack [Re: Spek Jones]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
Oh, sorry Dirt, my mistake. I'm still unlucky though.

Relatively speaking, spring = long and pointy, fall =wore down. And hair between the toes
= spring, hair wore off between the toes = fall (kinda rule of thumb for telling the
difference on a hide between a spring and fall bear).

I agree though, the difference between 99% and 99.9% could depend on hunting pressure
(or lack thereof).

How ironic.

When discussing grizzly bears, the problems are caused when the One Percenters do the Occupying!

Pete

#3161299 - 05/16/12 12:54 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Pete in Frbks]
TrapperTy Offline
trapper

This is an interesting thread. Does anybody carry and AR-15/mini-14 for bears? What if you miss with the first shot from your cannon? How quickly and accurately can you get off that next round? As some have said shot placement and bullet selection are key to putting something down quickly. Shot placement is hard if your rattled.

I missed my chance to use bear spray on a close encounter last fall. Anybody use the stuff? We ran into a bear on the tundra that was very curios and only had one gun the bear spray was at camp. I really didn't want to shoot the thing even though we had the licenses to do so. We were both exhausted from our 15 mile mountain hike. In hindsight I should have killed him when he first showed interest in us. I had my wife turn the camera on as the thing approached us. We have watched it a few times. We were about two strides from being mauled. When he did decide to move on he covered a hundred yards in the blink of an eye. I had a bolt action rifle with 2 shots left in the magazine(1 warning shot fired) and felt pretty helpless but was glad I didn't have my 44 mag. I couldn't have hit the broadside of a barn with that thing with my adrenaline pumping the way it was. I call it my last chance gun. It is for when the bear already has his mouth clamped over my head. laugh It would be hard to maneuver a rifle in that situation grin . Sometimes I use it as a tent gun.

#3161359 - 05/16/12 02:01 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
FullFreezer Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska, E.F.R
cougar tail- thats a 55gal next to it.

TrapperTy- your right , shot placment is very hard in those split seconds during a charge. I don't know on the AR15/min 14
I have a 454 casull that I had to use once & now my out look on pistols isn't the best anymore ( I still carry it) but I like to have that hard hitting slam of a large 30 cal(338 win for me with 250gr bullets).

#3161366 - 05/16/12 02:12 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Hupurest Online   content
"Andy S wannabe"

I don't really buy into the multiple shot scenario. If one is "unprepared" and surprised, i would say you will be lucky to get one shot off. and it had better be a good one. The remianing 10-14 rounds won't be much of a help...

But, IDK.. never had to do that. been bluff charged once, and it seemed obvious from the start it wasn't serious about it. but where it stopped to me would have allowed like 1 well placed shot..

Watching alot of the Mark Sullivan videos, and witnessing the charges he encourages from hippo's, cape buff, elephants etc, even with his side by side, he seldom gets the second one off. then again, with that 600 nitro express and 900 gr bullets, he seldom needs a second shot.

That guy has 'nads so big I don't know how he manages to walk.... check out some of his videos if you haven't... death at my feet is a good one, then again all of them have been, death by the ton, death on the run et al.

#3161474 - 05/16/12 03:46 PM Re: Bear attack [Re: Cattrax]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
I have used my mini 14 for one bear. Heart/lung shot dropped like a ton of bricks, but I still put one in the head before I walked up to it. Would I go out with that intent with that gun again? Nope. But it worked that time.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >