Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3143196 - 05/01/12 07:38 PM question on marten
1187 shooter Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
I'm just a kid from Iowa and have never seen a Marten other then on the internet but they look extrmely interesting to me.
Are marten kind of like mink? Also are you able to catch large numbers of them?

#3143265 - 05/01/12 08:04 PM Re: question on marten [Re: 1187 shooter]
TheFurTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Marten are the same size as alot of mink. And catching them in large numbers would depend on your marten population.

#3143267 - 05/01/12 08:04 PM Re: question on marten [Re: 1187 shooter]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
They are like mink in that they both belong to the weasel family. In a lot of areas it is possible to catch fairly large numbers of them. You're right. They are an interesting animal.

#3143681 - 05/02/12 01:07 AM Re: question on marten [Re: 1187 shooter]
30/06 Offline
trapper

Loc: Interior Alaska
In some ways they are similar. Both are Mustelids (weasel family), that weigh about the same (average males from our small, eastern interior Alaska line: 35 oz. Marten, 33 oz. Mink). However, they each have interesting adaptations that differ significantly. Mink have small (nickel-sized), semi-webbed feet, a somewhat oiley double coat (like a beaver), significant body fat, and small ears. All adaptaions to a semi-aquatic life. Marten have large feet rimmed with stiff, splayed out hairs that function as snowshoes, a very fluffy coat (almost like a fox), little-to-no body fat, semi-retractable claws (like a housecat), and large fox-like ears, all adaptations to a life in snowy forests. Their differences are very evident when you compare them side-by-side. Especially when you skin them. When I skinned my first Marten years ago, I was amazed at how big their feet are. I'll bet the p.s.i. footprint of a Marten is a quarter (maybe less) of a Mink's. As different as they are, their diets overlap, as both are significant predators of voles (at least in my area, in the winter). It's fairly common to catch one species in a set targeting the other, though I've never heard of a marten caught in a water set for mink. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Mink smell worse and fetch a lower price. I love Marten!

#3143873 - 05/02/12 09:15 AM Re: question on marten [Re: 1187 shooter]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Marten in my area frequently get caught in mink boxes along the waterways.Just last year I caught a marten in a half submerged bodygrip set for beaver(330).When he smelled the beaver castor he swam across the creek directly into the beaver trap.After 40 years trapping you still see things that you never believe possible.

#3143933 - 05/02/12 09:53 AM Re: question on marten [Re: 1187 shooter]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
I'll try to help answer your large numbers question. A large catch in Alaska would be over 200 marten. A decent catch would be over 100 marten. I have heard tales of people doing over 300 marten. If I had to guess I would guess most trappers catch less than 100 marten due to low population densities and smaller trapping areas. Generally you have to cover a lot of ground to catch a 100 or more marten unless you are in very rich country.

#3144519 - 05/02/12 06:17 PM Re: question on marten [Re: 1187 shooter]
waggler Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
In my opinion marten are one of the most enjoyable animals there are to trap. They have beautiful fur, are easy and fast to put up, easy to trap, don't require a lot of gear, and last, and maybe the most important, the areas that marten inhabit are some of the most beautiful places on the planet. I love marten too.

#3144727 - 05/02/12 08:06 PM Re: question on marten [Re: 1187 shooter]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
Not to mention, for the effort, one of the most valuable!

#3144842 - 05/02/12 08:52 PM Re: question on marten [Re: alaska viking]
Gonefarwest Offline
trapper

Loc: Coastal, British Columbia, Can...
Male marterns on the west coast of Canada weight between 38 to 46 ounces. Females are from 28 to 36 ounces. Martens are very sensitive to trapping as they are only sexually mature at one year to give birth at year two (long gestation and only two to three kits per litter). Minks can bread and have litter at year one (Short gestation and about 5-6 kits per litters). Martens need about 200 acres of mature timber to make a living.
Marterns are very easy to catch. I only set my traps for 6 days every year so I don't catch too many. I also space my traps at least half a mile apart. The problem is not to catch them but to stop before it is too late. Your male/ female catch ratio should be at least 2 males for one female. Getting a ratio below 2 is a good idicator that you may have harvested too much. Your catches should also in majority juvenile.

Martens don't like water but they are good climber and like squirrels jump from tree to tree if they have to. They are also more active during the night. I catch about 35 to 40 martens per year and my trapline is 300 square Kilometer. A square kilometer is about 0.36 square mile. So I harvest about 1 marten per square mile.

#3145949 - 05/03/12 02:41 PM Re: question on marten [Re: Gonefarwest]
Gonefarwest Offline
trapper

Loc: Coastal, British Columbia, Can...
My maths are not good. It should be one marten every 3 square miles not one marten every square mile.

Edited by Gonefarwest (05/03/12 02:42 PM)