Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3130261 - 04/21/12 01:21 PM Spenards
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Just venting a little, but a trip to Spenards yesterday cost me a little over 100.00. What did I get for $100.00 you ask? Two 12 ft 4x4's, 2 bags of ready mix concrete, and 2 lengths of 1/2" rebar. The posts and the quickcrete are for a dog run and the rebar for drowners. I can't imagine what that stuff must cost out in the bush communities.

#3130265 - 04/21/12 01:22 PM Re: Spenards [Re: akpawpincher]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
2 12ft 4X4's here are probably around 160 bucks.

#3130286 - 04/21/12 01:50 PM Re: Spenards [Re: fishermann222]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: fishermann222
2 12ft 4X4's here are probably around 160 bucks.

So I got a good deal... eek

I wish I could say I feel better Jon, but now I also feel bad for you... THANKS! lol!

#3130289 - 04/21/12 01:54 PM Re: Spenards [Re: akpawpincher]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
When i came there last year to visit you and went to Walmart, I was AMAZED at how reasonable your prices are grin

#3130290 - 04/21/12 01:54 PM Re: Spenards [Re: akpawpincher]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: MTV.Alaska
[quote= What did I get for $100.00 you ask? Two 12 ft 4x4's, 2 bags of ready mix concrete, and 2 lengths of 1/2" rebar. The posts and the quickcrete are for a dog run and the rebar for drowners. I can't imagine what that stuff must cost out in the bush communities. [/quote]

What a deal!.. we can get one of those small plastic grocery bags of food for $100 or we can get 12 gallons of gas..and if I wanted concrete or a 4x4 we would have to get it flown in at a $1 a lb. frown

#3130310 - 04/21/12 02:32 PM Re: Spenards [Re: akpawpincher]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
APP, might be worthwhile beach combing driftwood boards. Use to be a lot of
16ft cedar 4X4's to be found (after a freight barge went down in the gulf) along
the beachs. Probably pretty much all gone now though.

#3130447 - 04/21/12 05:33 PM Re: Spenards [Re: akpawpincher]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Every once in a while I'll make a good find. Lot's of folks here work the beaches for drift wood/ firewood so you have to be at the right spot at the right time. I found a nice yellow cedar log a couple of years ago and got almost a chord of wood out of it... it was huge! I wish I had a way to get it off the beach and to the saw mill. I could have built a nice shed with it. Not to many 4 x 4's but I used to find them a few years back. Now I know where they came from!

#3145008 - 05/02/12 10:03 PM Re: Spenards [Re: akpawpincher]
madtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Ely, Minnesota, coolest small ...
Well, when the tsunami wreckage from Japan hits there you might find a lot of interesting stuff, sounds like a beachcombers paradise.

#3145204 - 05/03/12 12:35 AM Re: Spenards [Re: madtrapper]
Horn Offline
trapper

Loc: Beaman Iowa 47
Originally Posted By: madtrapper
Well, when the tsunami wreckage from Japan hits there you might find a lot of interesting stuff, sounds like a beachcombers paradise.

National News reported today that A Harley in a "container" washed up in BC from there.

#3145220 - 05/03/12 01:19 AM Re: Spenards [Re: akpawpincher]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Pretty interesting video from the nightly news on the debris hitting the beaches.
Might be a good summer to head to Gore Point for some beach combing.

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/201...nada-coast?lite

Edited by Family Trapper (05/03/12 01:24 AM)

#3145223 - 05/03/12 01:38 AM Re: Spenards [Re: akpawpincher]
otter3006 Offline
trapper

Loc: kodiak alaska
its why i call it spendies/ not spenard. and why some junk house s[ and our nice ones too] are worth so much in town due to what it cost to build. but you ll make it up on the other end with some fine halibut and kings that some one else could never afford. ahh living the good life. wish i could say its worth it with the low crime we have but thats a little different with the recent murder, but thats is very rare here remember. sure be nice if they could wrap that up. if you need more than a few bags of crete put a old fish tote in the truck and go up to brecahans[ out back AM] and for some beer$ when they mix up a batch for elsewhere they will make some extra and shoot it into your tote. remember that stuff is heavy so no small truck.

#3147428 - 05/04/12 02:46 PM Re: Spenards [Re: akpawpincher]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Man, I just bought a new roof for our house in AKP. The roof cost just under $1800, the shipping brought my grand total just shy of $3000. Now I just need to save up for the 1/2" plywood to go underneath my roofing. Spendie's is usually who I go through for materials I dont have since they make airport runs for us when we buy stuff. Working construction is a plus in the bush, free materials from jobsite projects. This summer Im getting on the school remodel project so we'll see if I have enough material saved up for a cabin in the fall. smile