Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3142387 - 05/01/12 12:07 AM A Cougar Tale
Boles Offline
trapper

Loc: Revelstoke BC Canada
Raining real hard.I fished upstream for some distance before calling it quits.I was getting very wet and cold and not a little bit upset at not having caught a fish.
Decided to head back along the river bluff where the timber meets the river shore to search for shed antlers.As I walked around the corner of a steep rocky bluff I heard a noise.Turned around in time to see my dog Libby stopping and turning and then a cougar hot on her heels.Oh man here it goes dog is going to get killed by that cat.The only protection I had with me is a longer DPknives Damascus blade in the pack.Shugged out of the pack to get the knife.
In the meantime the pair-predator and prey moved off.Libby running a short distance,turning to face the charging cat.Then dodging and weaving to keep out of harms way believe me when I tell you she was busy.By this time I realized wasnt going to need the knife so pulled the camera out,turned it on.Dog and cat had moved off.Libby doing her best at evasion ,the cat its best at securing groceries!
The pair some distance off

After 6-7 unsuccessful attempts the cougar headed for the timber with the dog hot on its heels.Im here to tell you that they can really move.They disappeared into the timber.Libby came back to me no more than a minute later.I knew then that the cougar had treed
When I went down that way and found the fresh tracks,looked up and there it was not very high up a hemlock

I hung around for a bit trying to get a decent photo,which I didnt took around 50

Last I saw of it

Pretty cool encounter Im thinking,too bad the camera wasnt working-I somehow had turned off the zoom and a poor light setting was on.All operator owner faults
Im thinking the dog had my back.
Libby -taken last week

My DPKnives blade

Thanks for looking
Dan'l

Edited by Boles (05/01/12 12:12 AM)

#3142404 - 05/01/12 12:36 AM Re: A Cougar Tale [Re: Boles]
Aknative Online   content
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
Glad your dog made it back!

#3142431 - 05/01/12 02:33 AM Re: A Cougar Tale [Re: Boles]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Glad the Dog had your back and didn't become Cat Scat. Feed her extra good today, she earned it!

#3142968 - 05/01/12 04:40 PM Re: A Cougar Tale [Re: Boles]
Bushman Offline
trapper

Loc: Alberta
Good story, by the sounds of it you share a bad trait I have, namely stomping through the bush under armed. In light of your grid-blackies-and cougars maybe some bear spray is in order. Beautiful dog what's the breeding, any malamute?

#3144907 - 05/02/12 09:13 PM Re: A Cougar Tale [Re: Bushman]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
Dan'l did your dog vocalize? That usually sends the cat in the other direction and looking for a tree. it is when the dog is silent that the cougar gets the upper hand.
NAFA Trapper Consultant

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

#3144998 - 05/02/12 09:56 PM Re: A Cougar Tale [Re: Boles]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
I can see you're not lion to us.

#3145212 - 05/03/12 01:06 AM Re: A Cougar Tale [Re: white17]
rosscoak Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast, AK
what a cool adventure..glad it didn.t turn into a classic cat and mouse game..

#3148258 - 05/05/12 01:46 AM Re: A Cougar Tale [Re: Boles]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Loc: Saskatchewan Canada
That is neat! Glad your dog wasnt hurt. Great job capturing the story!

#3149081 - 05/05/12 08:24 PM Re: A Cougar Tale [Re: Boles]
Boles Offline
trapper

Loc: Revelstoke BC Canada
Libby is a Siberian Husky
Nope no noise came out of her that I heard.Im thinking the cat came to realize that it was time to go as lunch wasnt going as planned.The pair had one more dust up then the cat headed for the trees.It ran right up that large black deadfall you see along the right edge of the photo
Of all days for any of my friends not to be home,( or they have call display!)!as I tried to order up a snotter while I kept the cat treed.
White - no lion but if the cougar had got the dog it might have been catastrophic for me
Dan'l