ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I need some help from you boys #3142562
05/01/12 09:45 AM
05/01/12 09:45 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
As many of you know I do alot of calling in my adc work with the squirrels and raccoons, fox and other critters. Chris Christie use to call me the man who talks to animals LOL
Here is where I need some help. I need to figure out the sounds of red squirrels(pines) flyers and fox squirrels I have not done a red squirrel job in 6 or more years, and even then 1 or 2 a year atthe most. we lost them for some reason. I do not have Fox squirrels at all. The flyers are every where for me But I never messed with the vocals. I will be able to get the sounds of the flyers now that i have a interest in the sounds but still would like some input on them.

so for you guys on the fox squirrel does the female make the same type of vocals as the greys squirrels. do the fox squirrel young make the same type of sounds as the grey squirrel. Do you think that grey squirrel sounds will work on a fox or drive them away as I have heard that the grey is dominate over the fox?? Is there a social call. on the red or pine squirrels the adult makes a totally different sound, have any of you ever heard a female calling to the young like a grey will do? is there a social call? if so can you describe the best you can what it these sounds are like. when you deal with red squirrel pups or fox pups does the females have the same maternal protective mode as a grey squirrel.

on the flyers have any of you ever heard the young in distress?

thank you in advance

you can post up here to help all or call pm or email me

Thanks Ron

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3142732
05/01/12 01:46 PM
05/01/12 01:46 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Check foxpro's website you can listen to the sounds for free to give you an idea on what they may sound like. I know they have a flying squirrel distress and it is KILLER on fox and coyotes lol

Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3142885
05/01/12 04:43 PM
05/01/12 04:43 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
What are you looking for like a recording . I can get a pine squirrel . It's kinda like a chirping sound with like a whistle . It's like you better run mister fox squrrel because I'm getting to remove your jewels . Are fox and black squirrel are cross breeding here . Sometimes the blacks will have a fox squirrel tail . I guess soon will just have one kind of squirrel . Took a picture of a black with a white tip on his tail the other day, I thought it was a skunk for a second

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3142943
05/01/12 05:24 PM
05/01/12 05:24 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
A pine squirrel is a red squirrel; Pesky's right about that. What he is wrong about is the melanistic phase. From everything you've ever learned, you would think that black, being the dominant color, would rule. Not so: I've caught nearly as many albino squirrels, ( recessive trait ) as blacks.

Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3142974
05/01/12 05:46 PM
05/01/12 05:46 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
First I learned all the sounds I make with my mouth having critters in my face. sounds are not what I need I need to know, habit and behaviour along with that sound is what I need on the critters I am talking about. the flyers I will have that by the end of the year as far as distress I need the social calls. these are the calls that will work in control work. for instance on Friday I had a coon in the bottom of the fire place with a rusted shut and froze damper. I went to the top of the chimney and did upset coon pups vocal, she came right up to me spiting mad. I just need to see close enough to get the pole on her. I had another coon I just needed to see if she was there I just did some easy calm pup whimpers and she showed her self but no attack mode. I learned almost 30 years ago how to call young grey squirrels with a certain adult vocal. another vocal to get juvenile greys to show them self in attic. I also learned how to call adult females that have pups, that was learned one day when I grabbed one and mom ran up my leg. I learned that sound fast LOL there always seemed to be words like "what the ^&%$" added at the end LOL the flyers I will have the distress sounds down before the end of the year the social sounds is the ones I need to get along with body Lang that will be harder and the young will be real hard. I will not be able to get any fox distress or social at all I was hoping those Oklahoma boys that get them in the houses could shed some light on those. the pine or red well the mid west boys are blessed with those cursed things I was hoping they could she some light. All animals have social vocals. the social sounds go along way. heck for bucks you can't beat a social grunt in the early fall. or the calm fawn bawl that is used to locate mom. and the easy short bleat of the doe for the fawn. Trapper Paul got me on this kick Sunday night during the pod cast so blame him.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3142993
05/01/12 06:13 PM
05/01/12 06:13 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Ron & Nic

Hi Ron,
For the first time in my long career, heard flyer kits chittering - they sounded like greys to me. We are doing a flyer job tomorrow. PM me if you want me to do something.

Christie looks like he is getting bigger. And if he says you are the man, then you are the man who has relations with animals , sorry, I mean TALKS to animals.

Hi Nic
When and why do you use this - as a change up? Do you hunt after dark etc.?

Last edited by Phil Nichols; 05/01/12 06:13 PM.
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3143055
05/01/12 07:02 PM
05/01/12 07:02 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
No there cross breeding here Paul . The fox and the black squirrel are getting together and making these mutant looking things , ask around , some are like a brown squirrel ,some will have just a black body and a fox tail . Some have like just mixed hairs and a green heu to them . We never even had black squirrel in this area to the 90s they just moved in , now it's mostly blacks or I guess there more like brown squirrel mutants

Free Trapper
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3143109
05/01/12 07:41 PM
05/01/12 07:41 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
yeah Phil I will pm ya I need to hear that along with how the female reacted when they started to vocalize? Are they as loud? I don't think of it as relations more like communing LOL

pesky the black is a grey squirrel. the color phases of a grey are many. I have a pic that I took the other day of a grey with a red tail they are common around my area. the blacks are also being seen more and more in NJ. there use to be a lot of not albinos but a whitish phase around in my area but I do not see them any more. I do not think the fox will breed with a grey but I do not know for sure. The red or pine pesky would you classify the sound you describe as a social or distress sound. the pines that I hear is a chatter but that is always when they see some thing they do not like so that I would classify as a distress. they never come running to me when one is making the sounds I am talking about they always go away LOL.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3143124
05/01/12 07:50 PM
05/01/12 07:50 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Nick I have not tried that on the fox and yotes here will have to. the grey pups works good LOL

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3143137
05/01/12 08:01 PM
05/01/12 08:01 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan

All these squirrels were caught in the same trap . This is what are squirrels are turning in to . Good news this color phase loves houses

Mutants
The grays and blacks have always came from the same litter . Sure looks like there daddys was a fox

Free Trapper
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3143148
05/01/12 08:08 PM
05/01/12 08:08 PM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
i have some black/fox mixed here to. more so than ive ever seen up here. their in my yard everyday... if i remember i will snap a couple photos for ya... black backs, brown tails.. really kind of cool looking.

Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Phil Nichols] #3143233
05/01/12 08:52 PM
05/01/12 08:52 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Originally Posted By: Phil Nichols
Ron & Nic
Hi Nic
When and why do you use this - as a change up? Do you hunt after dark etc.?

I use it at night. I dont use it as the primary sound rather as soon as I see eyes responding to my call I switch to the flying squirrel distress and play it quiet enough to the point where you can barely hear it coming from your caller. They come in on a string. Many reds, greys and a few coyotes have come victom to that sound...

Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3143236
05/01/12 08:53 PM
05/01/12 08:53 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Originally Posted By: Jonesie
Nick I have not tried that on the fox and yotes here will have to. the grey pups works good LOL

Grey Fox pup distress do you mean? if so, yes thats another killer call grin

Last edited by Nic Pallo; 05/01/12 08:53 PM.
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3143316
05/01/12 09:24 PM
05/01/12 09:24 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
No Nick Not grey fox Sorry I meant grey squirrel pups, I do the same as you with the flyers, but I make the grey squirrel sounds. I use my mouth and hand to make the sound.

I have done some research tonight. I told you I know little about the fox squirrel. seems that the fox squirrel along with the grey squirrel both have the black phase. they are not mixed breeds but in fact just color phases. I only knew of the grey black phase. seems the fox squirrel has pockets of this phase also. it seems to be not as rare as one would think. now getting back can some one tell me if the fox squirrel has the same vocals social as say the grey?

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3144084
05/02/12 12:56 PM
05/02/12 12:56 PM
Southern, Ontario
J
Jeremy Chalk Offline
trapper
Jeremy Chalk  Offline
trapper
J

Southern, Ontario
Where I'm from in southern Ontario we don't have fox squirrels but we get a lot of color phase Black or Greys whatever ya wanna call them. Black is the predominant color but I've seen them in Just about every color phase possibble. Blacks with the brown on them is very common here.

Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3160081
05/15/12 12:34 PM
05/15/12 12:34 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Here's a video of a young red squirrel AKA pine squirrel . I caught the nursing female last night and she would not whisper a word . As Im sitting at this job were I just made the video . I just watched and caught the third squirrel in the excluder trap . I will leave that one in there and return later to rap this job . Got to dig these traps .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaJqUFyTsVg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Free Trapper
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3160411
05/15/12 06:02 PM
05/15/12 06:02 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
great thank you. I think I almost have it down as far as cadence need to get a little higher pitch and a little more mellow. I heard a quick aggressive sound there can't get that one yet not enough for me to lock in on but I will. has any one ever seen a young red make that noise and a adult or another young come to it? I went on a hog job yesterday when i got in the yard I saw 4 young running around and another adult in the next yard. when the adult saw me it headed into thick weed area along the fence line. the owner came out and the young shot into the entry. I asked the owner about if he had seen the hog in the next yard he said that most likely was the mom. with out thinking my next move like I should of like put a snare in the entry gave a alarm vocal with my mouth because I really thought it was another hog. man she came flying at us in the weeds till she hit the edge and saw me less that 3 feet away and made a made dash to the hole and dove in. I was thinking to my self why didn't I think ahead. when I heard him say so you talk ground hog too? he was next to me when I made the vocal at this point he was 6 feet away LOL I said what you doing over there? he just laughed

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3160440
05/15/12 06:35 PM
05/15/12 06:35 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
What does a ground hog say I've herd them do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKKTi12bPCs&feature=youtube_gdata_player.

Free Trapper
Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3160669
05/15/12 09:37 PM
05/15/12 09:37 PM
Nashville, MI.
M
Mike S. Offline
trapper
Mike S.  Offline
trapper
M

Nashville, MI.
Growing up on a farm in SW Mi. grounghog hunting was my favorite pastime for years. I can remember the first time I heard that. Whenever they made that sound it was always after I had spooked one and he disappeared down his hole. I kinda figured he was laughing at me. Later some one told me thats why they are sometimes referred to as whistlepigs.

Re: I need some help from you boys [Re: Jonesie] #3160689
05/15/12 09:51 PM
05/15/12 09:51 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
The best way to find red squirrels is to try to walk quietly through the woods looking for deer. If there is a slug in the gun they scream at you. If there is shot in there, they somehow know.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread