Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3139167 - 04/28/12 12:55 PM Mosquitos and clothing colour
waggler Online   content
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
I need to settle an argument. I insist that white clothing (T shirts, sweatshirts) repels mosquitos. My fishing partner insists that white attracts them. He says dark colours are best. I know I'm right?? However, I have noticed that mosquitos don't seem to bother me nearly as much as most other people. I remember getting two bites last summer on the back of my hands, he got dozens.

Edited by waggler (04/28/12 12:55 PM)

#3139318 - 04/28/12 03:21 PM Re: Mosquitos and clothing colour [Re: waggler]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
I'd say it depends on where you are. Most places in the bush are so thick with mosquitoes that you could never tell a difference between colors.

#3139512 - 04/28/12 06:12 PM Re: Mosquitos and clothing colour [Re: waggler]
Cougartail
Unregistered

According to an article I read dark colors attract mosquitoes....that is not the same as white repelling them. CO2, lactic acid, octenol, warmth, movement, and even perspiration/breathing vapor were all stated as things that also attract them. It also stated that it took at least 2 triggers stated above for them to react.

Sounds like a dead guy with a white sheet over him is "good to go"!

#3139530 - 04/28/12 06:24 PM Re: Mosquitos and clothing colour [Re: waggler]
On a Call Online   happy
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
Oh no...I have seen skeeters on dead animals.

But it might be like sucking on a super thick shake with a straw smile

#3141584 - 04/30/12 11:45 AM Re: Mosquitos and clothing colour [Re: waggler]
Pittu Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Your friend is wrong and you are correct IMO. I dont think light colors repel mosquitos, but dark colors definantly attract them.

I have both black dogs and white dogs in my kennel. When the skeeters are out bad, the black faced dogs will have a thousand mosquitos crawling around on their faces, the white dogs will have mere hundreds...just what I've seen anyway..