Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3136597 - 04/26/12 12:07 PM .........................Moose federation in paper
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
I don't get this..... move moose from their wintering areas to rural areas? Dosen't seem to be an overabundance of moose along the roads in the summer.

I have to agree with RS on this one....waste of money, and a dumb idea.......

Moose Federation gets more funds for controversial program
Critics say Alaska Moose Federation methods are too controversial.

Despite $1.3 million in state funding for a "rescue and relocation" program and an unprecedented permit from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, the Alaska Moose Federation didn't move a single moose last winter.
This month, the state gave the group another $1.5 million for the same program.
Now, the federation says it's gearing up to move up to "hundreds" of moose next winter, possibly flying drugged moose plucked from urban roadsides to remote village areas where moose populations are low.
Critics say the state is giving too much money and power to a private nonprofit whose methods are controversial.
"It gets crazier and crazier," said Rick Sinnott, a retired Fish and Game area wildlife biologist who has been critical of the moose federation's activities. "If Fish and Game were doing this they'd be the laughingstock of the scientific world."
The federation didn't move any moose this winter because of a problem scheduling training for federal Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services technicians contracted to move the moose, said Gary Olson, the executive director of the federation.
Fish and Game staffers who were supposed to train them never had time in their schedules, he said. A two-month permit to move the wild animals expired on March 31 before the technicians could be trained.
About half the initial grant, appropriated during the 2011 legislative session last spring, has been spent on equipment like specially outfitted trucks and trailers, Olson said. The grant can be used over multiple years.
The organization plans to use the new $1.5 million in funding to extend the program for up to five years, Olson said.
ADVERTISEMENT
Both requests for state funds were championed by Sen. Lyman Hoffman, D-Bethel, and Sen. Lesil McGuire, R-Anchorage, he said.
McGuire said in an email Wednesday that she saw the program as a creative approach to making urban roadways safer and moose more abundant in rural areas.
"I hope to see the program yield more opportunities for subsistence harvest in and around rural communities," she wrote. "Ultimately, I see it as a bridge between urban and rural Alaska that will help support healthy communities in rural Alaska."
Hoffman was not available for comment Wednesday.
Next year, the moose federation wants to move 50 to 100 moose away from roadsides and to rural areas, Olson said.
Olson said the group also plans to approach Fish and Game with a proposal to use airplanes to fly moose to remote areas, like the Middle Kuskokwim and Fort Yukon areas, where low moose populations have led to few hunting opportunities for locals.
In September, the federation asked Fish and Game for permission to capture and transplant moose from the Tanana Flats area, near Fairbanks, to those areas as well. That effort has been abandoned in favor of focusing on urban-to-rural relocation, he said.
The group says its first priority is making roadways safer by moving moose away from places they could be hit by cars.
"If we can kick-start populations that are so depressed, that's an added benefit," he said.
If Olson gets the go-ahead to transport moose by airplane to villages, chances of success are low, Sinnott said.
Olson has often cited the Copper River Delta moose transplant, which introduced moose to that area in the 1950s, as an example of a successful, similar effort.
Those circumstances were ideal, Sinnott said: There were no moose there already, few if any wolves and excellent moose habitat.
Rank-and-file Fish and Game staffers, Sinnott said, are privately uneasy about the group's growing wildlife management role.
A call to Tony Kavalok of Fish and Game's Division of Wildlife Conservation was not returned Wednesday.
The department, Sinnott said, granted the federation the relocation permit based on pressure from the highest levels of the agency.
"There doesn't seem to be much reliance on experts," he said.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/04/25/2439886/moose-federation-gets-more-funds.html#storylink=cpy

#3136619 - 04/26/12 12:29 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
I'm glad that there are people out there that see it as stupid as I do. 1.3 million and not a single moose moved and they give them another 1.5 million? How the heck does that happen?

#3136620 - 04/26/12 12:31 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Pittu Offline
trapper

I have never been shy about stating how stupid I think the state funding for AMF is. So now the state is going to pay someone to take moose from my backyard and drop them in BFE so we dont hit them with our cars? Do we honestly believe that Gary Olson gives a crap about the hunting opportunities of the rural resident in Fort Yukon?

Give them a grant to salvage road kills, ok..I can live with that. Diversionary trails along the highways to "haylage"...all right, I think it's dumb but I can live with it. FLYING moose from one part of the state to another so hockey moms have less of a chance of hitting one with the escalade? D-U-M-B.

I thought this was Alaska, you know, the place where some amount of personal responsibility and tolerance of risk was considered part of everyday life. I guess not. At least not when someone figures out a way to get a large salary, staff and a fleet of equipment at someone else's expense.

#3136622 - 04/26/12 12:34 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

better yet, let them move over 100 moose next year, but cancel the hunting permits because the # of moose hit was too high.

Hmmm, from generating revenue to spending it.....

why not just shoot the moose and drop it off in the village for people to cut up and eat?

this org is a scam... wonder if rossi is ont he payroll yet?

#3136624 - 04/26/12 12:37 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

LMAO... google it....

here is what comes up..

AMF
growmoremoose.org
We work to prevent dangeroug moost/auto collisions and to save orphan moose calves

That is the first thing you see on the search. what idiots...they can't spell moose????

#3136649 - 04/26/12 12:58 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Pittu Offline
trapper

I drive by a certain AMF members business along the Parks hwy everyday. Everyday I see all the equipment that was purchased with State money being used for personal business and the many leftover round bales of "haylage" that people donated 50 bucks a peice for.

I had a bad feeling when AMF talked DOT into making the 200' ROW clearing on the Parks hwy, that they were connected at a high enough level to siphon money out of the state.

I would like to see Gary and the current group ousted and let someone take over who will salvage road kills, and advocate for moose habitat, and otherwise provide a public service. Just leave the pipe dream crap aside.

#3136666 - 04/26/12 01:11 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Governments necessarilariy must have the PRIVELEGE of collecting taxes for certain
things, but along with that there seriously needs to be some form of accountability
for how that enity spends that tax money. A large part of the reason America is in the
shape we are in is because there is ZERO accountability. Sure would like to have even
a tiny bit of say about how some idiot spends the money they take away from me.
Voting them out doesn't seem to work.

#3136749 - 04/26/12 02:42 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Cougartail
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
why not just shoot the moose and drop it off in the village for people to cut up and eat?

That was the first thought that came into my head....

#3136784 - 04/26/12 03:16 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Loc: Yukon
A few years ago something like this would have been unbelievable..... now its standard procedure. From the secret service to the GSA they are all crooks. Sooner or later Americans will wake up, but by then it might just be to late. One thing is for certain, the US has zero credibility left. Every time you turn on the news we see another screw job.

#3136876 - 04/26/12 04:34 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: ]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: Cougartail

That was the first thought that came into my head....

Kill the cow and eat it. That would be good for the one year. However, I'm an old farmboy. Let's let it live so it can provide calves that grow up to produce more calves that grow up to produce more calves. How about we only shoot and eat only the male calves produced when they grow up. Just leaving enough bulls to impregnate our cows to produce more calves. Nah! Let's just eat the cow. crazy

#3136905 - 04/26/12 05:00 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Pittu Offline
trapper

1.5 million = 1,500,000
1.3 million =+1,300,000
Total.........= 2,800,000

Total moose relocated = 100

2,800,000 / 100 = $28,000 per moose relocated

How much sirloin could you buy for $28,000?

Just saying....

#3136938 - 04/26/12 05:28 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
It's sick anyway you look at it. Have to wonder how much went to the politicians?

#3137029 - 04/26/12 06:11 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

The real question is how long will the US citizens let it continue.......

#3137042 - 04/26/12 06:24 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: yukon254]
watarrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Lake Iliamna Ak
Originally Posted By: yukon254
A few years ago something like this would have been unbelievable..... now its standard procedure. From the secret service to the GSA they are all crooks. Sooner or later Americans will wake up, but by then it might just be to late. One thing is for certain, the US has zero credibility left. Every time you turn on the news we see another screw job.

And Canada is the place to be???

#3137062 - 04/26/12 06:44 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
better yet, let them move over 100 moose next year, but cancel the hunting permits because the # of moose hit was too high.

I don't understand the reasoning behind cancelling the cow hunt in the valley. In the old days, when we had a lot of moose like they currently do in the valley they would open up emergency winter hunts during bad winters to thin the herd and help the surviving moose by removing competition for limited food. My understanding is that GMU14A is about 1500 or so moose over objective and still suffering barely adequate Bull to Cow ratios. Since the moose deaths from winter related malnutrition will most likely effect the bull component more than the cows then it would make sense to keep whacking cows to keep this ratio acceptable. I wonder what experts like Sinnnot would have to say about this?

#3137073 - 04/26/12 06:55 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Dirt, it has nothing to do with preditors, so Sinnot and the rest of the greenie crowd will remain silent.

-TJ

#3137323 - 04/26/12 09:02 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Watarrat didnt say a word about Canada..... what ya drivin at?? IMHO both the Canadian and American Govts are loaded with crooks, that being said and after having spent a lot of time in both countries my opinion is that Canada is not quite as bad for the simple reason that we have fewer politicians. This isn't the place to get into politics so I will leave it at that.

#3137439 - 04/26/12 10:19 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
takotna Offline
trapper

Loc: Takotna AK
Get a bigger return putting 2.8 million into predator control. grin

#3137478 - 04/26/12 10:52 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Hupurest]
X3012 Offline
trapper

Loc: Matanuska valley Alaska
Dirt, Ive been here 38years,30 in the valley and there has never been an emergency hunt in the valley. What there was in the early 80's Jack Didrickson got pushed thru the Game board was a winter hunt along the Parks hywy of up to50 permits to shoot moose within 1/4 mile of the road to hopefully harvest some moose that would get hit on the highway. It only lasted 3 years, no body could say witch moose would get hit witch ones would'nt.UI would say more but you don't agree with asy thing anyone say's on here.

#3137482 - 04/26/12 10:59 PM Re: .........................Moose federation in paper [Re: Dirt]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Dirt

I don't understand the reasoning behind cancelling the cow hunt in the valley. In the old days, when we had a lot of moose like they currently do in the valley they would open up emergency winter hunts during bad winters to thin the herd and help the surviving moose by removing competition for limited food. My understanding is that GMU14A is about 1500 or so moose over objective and still suffering barely adequate Bull to Cow ratios. Since the moose deaths from winter related malnutrition will most likely effect the bull component more than the cows then it would make sense to keep whacking cows to keep this ratio acceptable. I wonder what experts like Sinnnot would have to say about this?

That just makes too much sense Dirt. A special archery hunt or youth hunt would alleviate a lot of the pressure and reduce moose mortality due to highway collisions and habitat destruction. I must agree, relocating moose by aircraft to rural areas at tens of thousands of dollars per moose is ludicrous.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >