The Pen and Quill

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3136447 - 04/26/12 10:03 AM The six sets of sanity-
chicken Offline
trapper

Loc: UP STATE NY-Not the city!!!
The six sets of sanity

During the trapping seasons of 2005 I found myself in a winter of [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot]. It was cold and a little more cold. I found a small open creek that ran into a huge pond marsh. I walked the area early in the year scouting and for sign. While Scouting I counted between 28 to 32 different muskrat huts, I was in!!! Little did I know
I started with a quick set up. A dozen traps (8) 220's and (4) 1.5 coils with that many rats I knew that the mink would be fat & happy. I started with setting up the runs and feed beds,to many to set .... so I picked a spot and went to work. I like to use 220's in the runs,they are easier to stabilize, and have more power,not to mention I do pick up a flat tail every now and then.
Six sets of sanity started with a real bad day at work. I needed a break in the middle of the day and these sets provided me the mental slow down. I found myself only allowing six sets on the creek. I could have placed eighteen but I really wanted to make the six work and work they did. I studied the creek non-stop. I could not wait to make the trip at lunch. It was my jones my fix, the drink that I needed.....
I picked up a dozen rats or so but I really wanted Mink. Tracks littered every nook and cranie of the creek. I tried baited cubby’s and blind sets. For the life of me I could not catch a mink. I am by no means a mink trapper. I had my best year in 2005 I collected seven. I wanted to get to ten. The days and weeks went by... After a while the catch slowed down and went to nothing....... I still ran the sets every day for lunch knowing nothing would be caught. Folks just don't understand what we do-what we need. The crick was almost froze up solid-that didn't matter to me- I needed to be with the swamp- My church my safe haven- I need to be with the good lord and talk with him- the way I do. Only a trapper knows what I am talking about and the Lord himself knows how special a place the outside is for me.
I have asked my self why I am writing this- I needed to share with you. I hope that we all find out six sets of sanity in life- I still run em every year- I also find my sanity in other places. Spots like a hardwood ridge in the spring chasing gobblers or a creek side in summer for trout. Only you know where to get yours. Some folks have a garage with a fixer upper car or tractor that needs a good polish on the hard days- a fishing hole with nothing more then a hook and bobber. Find that spot and with the good Lord you will have peace!!!!

#3136463 - 04/26/12 10:13 AM Re: The six sets of sanity- [Re: chicken]
chicken Offline
trapper

Loc: UP STATE NY-Not the city!!!
Let me know what ya think....

#3223159 - 07/12/12 07:48 AM Re: The six sets of sanity- [Re: chicken]
wacotrapr Offline
trapper

Loc: kentucky,usa
good story,i have a spot where i saw a mink track in the mud,thats been 4 years ago . i set a trap for it every year knowing im not ever gonna get him.but it close to home and i check it sometimes twice a day! lol

#3265254 - 08/09/12 01:46 PM Re: The six sets of sanity- [Re: chicken]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Most excellent, and I know exactly what you mean!

#3265261 - 08/09/12 01:54 PM Re: The six sets of sanity- [Re: chicken]
Dawgcatcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Rochester MN-ish
Originally Posted By: chicken
Let me know what ya think....

And may peace be with you also,

My spot is out there also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,