Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3134912 - 04/24/12 11:15 PM Greasy hands after dealing with fur
Wolverine Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Canada
When I play/run my hands though my fur garments my hands feels oilier/greasier. Is this a good sign that the fur is good/not dry?

Does a oily feel also means the skin is in good condition and won't tear/crack?

Thanks

#3142465 - 05/01/12 05:53 AM Re: Greasy hands after dealing with fur [Re: Wolverine Man]
KawTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
All wild animals have that natural oil in it, just like people. I know its a big no no to use to much soap and strip those oils out so i would say they are in good shape. If they feel overly greasy, a sploch of dawn the size of a quarter.. rub it in your hands and then shampoo the fur with it and rinse. Just be light with it and dont overwash or over srub.

#3142545 - 05/01/12 08:22 AM Re: Greasy hands after dealing with fur [Re: Wolverine Man]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
I could be wrong here but I would say that you shouldn't be getting any oils off of a tanned fur. The animal is dead and is no longer producing any sort of oils.

#3155161 - 05/10/12 10:18 PM Re: Greasy hands after dealing with fur [Re: Wolverine Man]
Bearpaw Offline
"Threadkiller"

Loc: southern idaho
Remember they have to put oils back into the fur to help make it supple, They ususally get the excess oil out by tumbling it in shavings. Could be the oil they use at your tannery or it could be an indication you need to start eating your bacon with a fork. I'm just saying.

#3155178 - 05/10/12 10:29 PM Re: Greasy hands after dealing with fur [Re: Wolverine Man]
COLD HAND Offline
trapper

Loc: PA.BEAVER.CO
Any furs i ever had tanned smelled strong of neatsfoot oil i just assumed thats what they use

#3155278 - 05/11/12 01:57 AM Re: Greasy hands after dealing with fur [Re: Wolverine Man]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Would be odd for tanned fur to have any natural oil left in it. The tanning oil they use should be drummed out. Fur can collect oil depending on its use. The best thing I have found is to rub corn meal in it. If the hide has extra oil in it rub it on the skin too. Really rub it in. It collects the oil and comes out easily.