Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3134485 - 04/24/12 07:24 PM What is your favorite fur?
Wolverine Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Canada
What is/are your favorite fur to make garments (trooper hats, mittens, etc) and why?

#3134508 - 04/24/12 07:36 PM Re: What is your favorite fur? [Re: Wolverine Man]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Beaver because its readily available in good numbers,its durable,not too bulky, looks good,and its nice and warm.

#3134555 - 04/24/12 07:58 PM Re: What is your favorite fur? [Re: Wolverine Man]
waggler Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
Beaver and otter, both durable, look nice, and pretty easy to work.

#3134651 - 04/24/12 08:51 PM Re: What is your favorite fur? [Re: Wolverine Man]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Yes otter is very nice only drawback is its worth more money as a raw pelt and there are less available than beaver.Other than that it is nicer looking and just as durable if not moreso than beaver.Have to charge more for stuff made out of otter so its harder to move than products made from beaver.

#3134995 - 04/25/12 04:55 AM Re: What is your favorite fur? [Re: Wolverine Man]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Otter hands down. Durability and for looks. Also I tanned all my own hides when I was skin sewing and otter was very forgiving hide to tan. Much more so than beaver.

#3135211 - 04/25/12 09:44 AM Re: What is your favorite fur? [Re: Wolverine Man]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Otter for sure the durability of otter is incredible much more durable than any other fur with the exception of seal. The one drawback is the size and shape of otter means more seams on larger projects. People love the stuff and are more than willing to pay the higher price for otter vs beaver.