Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3251336 - 07/31/12 08:51 AM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
Bushman Offline
trapper

Loc: Alberta
When I build a floor system I sheet the underside (after squaring up floor) before laying batts of insulation in. 3/8" plywood is plenty on the bottom as it just holds the batt insulation in and keeps mice out. I do not place poly down and wonder to what advantage in a floor system? That I believe could lead to mould in a floor system. Love your construction pictures, looks like beams are on concrete walk blocks? I love old railway ties those creosote timbers last for 100's of year, but apparently are toxic.

#3251492 - 07/31/12 10:45 AM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: yukontrapper]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
Not wanting to derail Cachottier's thread any more I started a new one on Carpenter Ants.
NAFA Trapper Consultant

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

#3251496 - 07/31/12 10:48 AM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
white17 Online   content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Same here Brian. I either sheet the bottom or use chicken wire on the bottom to hold glass insulation. I have used poly on the top side of the joists and it does cut down on drafts...BUT if you spill liquid on the floor it can get down the cracks and will remain there a long time.

#3251518 - 07/31/12 11:04 AM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
The thing to remember when installing poly is that it MUST be installed on the warm side of the floor/wall/ceiling to avoid condensation in the cavity. Also, as I'm sure all know, and has been pointed out, rodents, especially squirrels, love fiberglass insulation.

#3255453 - 08/02/12 07:56 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
Cachottier Offline
trapper

Loc: Quebec-Canada

Here's an update of my truss design.
Hope this model is fine? Because I made all of them today.

I also made the first and the last truss like this.
Hope this model is also ok?

later

#3255599 - 08/02/12 09:05 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

So Cach your 12 x 16 turned into 14 x 20. smile Not an engineer but those trusses look like they will be ok. Only a 14 foot span. You could cut a 4" x 10 " beam and run it full lenth of the center. Be surprised how handy that beam would be besides adding stability. Keep er going, looks good so far.

My friend, and neighboring trapper is right now building a cabin. Wow you guys should see it, everything is to building code. Once finished I will post some pictures. Quite a bit of the floor design/interior was my suggestions and he is pleased with it.

Edited by trapper ron (08/02/12 09:07 PM)
NAFA Trapper Consultant

#3261373 - 08/06/12 09:53 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
Bushman Offline
trapper

The top truss is stronger and a more typical design.

AV thats why I don't use poly. I sheet the bottom creating a sealed cavity which is also sealed against mice and squirrels. I want floor system to be able to breath and as heat rises I wouldn't want that poly creating a vapour seal.

#3261882 - 08/07/12 10:27 AM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
Yes, sheeting is the way. The rodents will love you if you secure the fiberglass with chicken wire, or "lightning rods". Tyvek works, but again, the rodents get right through. Treated plywood skirting, with 2" rigid foam is an option, and is much less miserable to install than laying on one's back stuffing fiberglass in the floor, having all those millions of glass particles raining down on the face. I hate that part!

#3263146 - 08/07/12 11:43 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
Bushman Offline
trapper

i've bit the bullet and use blue rigid insulation. EXPENSIVE but a one time cost. Also great for roof systems with tight spaces as you can still get proper ventilation at tight spots.

#3270011 - 08/12/12 02:28 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
Cachottier Offline
trapper

More photos... Worked hard and cabin is up now!

#3270012 - 08/12/12 02:28 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
Cachottier Offline
trapper

#3270013 - 08/12/12 02:28 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
Cachottier Offline
trapper

#3270070 - 08/12/12 03:14 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
Tim Wilcox Offline
trapper

Loc: Silver Springs, NY
Looks awesome

#3270134 - 08/12/12 03:59 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
bucksnbears Offline
trapper

Loc: western mn
look good. that roof design should be just fine.
if you don't have a plan for the exterior, a good route would be to start collecting cedar fence boards from fences that have blown down.
heres my cabin i built last year.

#3270549 - 08/12/12 08:45 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
white17 Online   content

Looks good !

Not sure how much snow you get but if it were my place I would gusset both sides of those trusses.

#3270572 - 08/12/12 08:56 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"

Loc: Central Pa. 54
Although both sides of a typical truss has gussets, the Queen post configuation he used has the web members in compression which don't require large gussets. Being that the bottom chord is in tension but is a one piece continous member that can't stretch, they should be fine as they are. Also the roof slope he used and the steel roofing applied should allow most snow to slide off and not accumulate very much.

#3270576 - 08/12/12 08:58 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: white17]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Thank you for sharing Cach. Looks like you are going to have a great serviceable cabin there. keep posting pictures as you progress more. smile
NAFA Trapper Consultant

#3270609 - 08/12/12 09:20 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
white17 Online   content

Actually code here requires gussets on both sides and a minimum 10x10 inch plywood gusset at each joint, when using home-built trusses.

#3270624 - 08/12/12 09:26 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"

Loc: Central Pa. 54
Home made trusses won't fly here at all. The engineering calcs are to be submitted at the time of permit application and Sealed drawings at the time of Rough framing inspection.
That 10x10 rule is kinda Stupid unless they spec the nail size and nailing pattern to adequately provide for load transfere. Also spec's for gussets with complete disregard for lumber grade and species is a mute point. They are all relative.

#3270714 - 08/12/12 10:08 PM Re: Cabin construction - foundation help updated [Re: Cachottier]
white17 Online   content

It is spec'd. Minimum 1 nail per 1.5 sq inches. 8d min nail. I agree with you that the grade of lumber should be stipulated but isn't.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >