Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

BlueRidgeOutdoorSupplies
(Please support Blue Ridge Outdoor Supplies, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3137313 - 04/26/12 08:55 PM Re: a short spring trip [Re: Spek Jones]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Loc: Yukon
Spek one of the most interesting posts Ive ever read thanks for sharing. In all my years out in the sticks I have never seen a place where the moose were stuck in one place so long.

#3137496 - 04/26/12 11:28 PM Re: a short spring trip [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Thanks Yukon. There's always a certain percentage of moose here that winters in the upper drainages, and most years they do fairly well there. This year though the snow just kept
piling up in the upper drainages. They were pretty much snow bound by the middle of Feb.
(The moose that made it to the lower elevations faired pretty well). I'm sure there were
some starved to death. I didn't find any that had that day but I only traveled one short
section of one drainage. Our snow is going fast these days, but of the ones that survived the snow, bears and wolves will finish off most of them before they gain back their strength. With all the wolf and bear hugging going on these day's it's a tough time to
be a moose.

#3137513 - 04/27/12 12:26 AM Re: a short spring trip [Re: Spek Jones]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Speck I talked to the trooper last weekend at the spit when we got back from bear hunting. He said they were going to have a register hunt for brown bear starting this fall. Don't imagine it will last very long but progress.

#3137532 - 04/27/12 01:14 AM Re: a short spring trip [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Thanks for the good news Len. I knew Spraker was trying to get that going but hadn't
heard how it was coming along. He didn't happen to mention what the target quota would
be did he?

#3137545 - 04/27/12 02:25 AM Re: a short spring trip [Re: Spek Jones]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

No he didn't

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2